Band: Suspirium
Album: Soulless
Release date: 2009

01. The Wish
02. La Foresta Che Urla Nelle Tenebre
03. Intermezzo
04. Soulless
05. Burning

"Soulless"... it takes a courageous mind to name your album "Soulless". Not only because "Soulless" is already the name of a classic Death metal album, but also because reviewers such as yours truly see it as a perfect set-up for a lame joke. The courageous mind in this story is Sariel, the sole member of Turin-based Black metal band Suspirium, the lame joker is of course me. Cause it just has to be said: "soulless" is an incredibly accurate and concise way of expressing my thoughts concerning this album.

What has happened here is basically the infamous 'biggest crime in music', which is being completely unremarkable. As I said earlier, Suspirium plays Black metal and Black metal of the blandest form. Stereotypical riffs, predictable croaks and monotone drumming; it's all there. Thanks, but if I want to hear Second Wave Black metal, I'll just go look for my Darkthrone and Immortal CD's. It’s almost a shame that the production isn't bad at all, if one or two instruments would have been muffled away this whole thing might turn out better. The only thing that deserves a positive mention is the solo in "The Wish". While "Soulless" is making its spin in my CD-player I can almost perfectly predict what's coming, but as soon as it has finished making its rounds, I have completely forgotten what I just heard. And to poke a little fun at the band: claiming that your influences are Darkthrone, Mayhem and Satyricon but that you're still very original while you're really nothing of the sort is never a good idea.

If our paths would have crossed a little earlier in my musical journey I might still have liked it, as Black metal is one of my favourite genres, but throughout the years I've been subjected to so many lame and mundane bands that I just can't take it anymore. Perhaps you do, then by all means, check it out. What's offered is not bad. But it isn't good either and a few minutes ago was certainly the last time "Soulless" got its fancy tickled by my CD-player laser.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 07.05.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 21 users
08.05.2009 - 16:36
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I heard some of their stuff on MySpace and I think I'd be harsher than you in this review Sounds to me like extremely generic black metal with abysmal production and zero innovation.
14.05.2009 - 00:53
Susan
Smeghead
I wonder who told them that a clean production was the way to go? Bad advice, man. Even *I* noticed that...
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 3213 | This month: 3