‹‹ Back to the Melodic metal forum
Users visited: 36  
Search this topic:  

Dane Train
Beers & Kilts

10.05.2009 at 20:18
Stryper is a well know Glam Metal and Heavy Metal band hailing from O.C. Californian, USA. Primarily known through out the Metal community as the band that launched Christian Metal into the mainstream. With their yellow and black outfits and big hair, they toured the late 80's Glam scene introducing conservative Christian kids to the world of Metal and likewise opened the way for many Metalheads a glimpse into the Christian life.

The bands name comes from Isaiah 53:5: But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Drummer Robert Sweet created a backronym which is: Salvation Through Redemption, Yielding Peace, Encouragement, and Righteousness.

Stryper broke up in the early 1990's but reformed in 2003 with a new look and sound. Their comeback album Reborn (see my review of the album) has launched them back into the music scene as they prepare for a new album this year and shows with Anthrax and Twisted Sister.

So does anyone else listen to these guys? Or am I the only one?
----
(space for rent)
DayFly

10.05.2009 at 21:22
Never been too much of a fan but I appreciate their message (at least more than I appreciate the unholier than thou attitude of most extreme metal bands). Michael Sweet's vocals don't do anything for me, Les Carlsen for one is a better Christian metal singer. "To Hell With The Devil" is one helluva album and Free is one helluva song.
Bad English
nobody

11.05.2009 at 13:33
I like fiew songs from 80'; album best song is Solders Under Comand, but main reaosn why I like n respect band is they are chrsitians, but musiacaly some songs was cheasy, some good, its download band not band who's album I shood buy
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
TheOwl

11.05.2009 at 18:03
Yes I like some of Stryper's albums.... although most of the lyrics IMO are a joke, we have to recognize them as a value of their own for metal!
----
Free Film Posters---Heavy Metal CD---Ian Gillan---Metallica DVD
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

24.07.2009 at 09:37
There are some songs i like (e.g. Calling On You), but overall i guess it is not music for me...
----
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
Become dust in the wake of the hymn
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
No more than a breath on the wind

tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

24.07.2009 at 23:07
I just can't get past those cheesy '80s glam band MTV videos - ruins the music for me
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

25.07.2009 at 01:07
Especially when the band is calling on Jesus and God...

but some songs are simply catchy and full of this "80ties atmosphere" i simply love...
----
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
Become dust in the wake of the hymn
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
No more than a breath on the wind

Dane Train
Beers & Kilts

27.07.2009 at 17:33
Have you guys heard the new album? I am really digging on it.
----
(space for rent)
Jonnz of Steel

27.07.2009 at 22:37
I've heard a few of their songs, gonna pick some of their stuff up at some point. Love the vocals.
Walter Iego
Author

11.08.2009 at 13:57
They are heavy when they want to, they still rock...
distorted rage

13.08.2009 at 13:10
I am very surprised by the quality of Murder By Pride. Gotta be the best Stryper album since To Hell With The Devil, and 4 Leaf Clover is one of my favorite songs right now. While most of their discography is outdated, they were a gateway into metal for me at the age of 9...primarily because they were the only hard rock band my parents would buy for me at the time.

That said, I like the new album, good songs and a good message...without too much overt cheesiness. Michael Sweet can still hit some mean notes as well.

----
'We entered Winter once again...The sun sets forever over Blackwater park'
Sutekh

22.08.2009 at 14:07
I'm surprised at the new album too... in a good way. They have captured the vibe (but not the sound) of their heyday, with plenty of energy and attitude. It's more melodic hard rock than metal, but that's OK when it's executed as well as this.
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts

26.08.2009 at 18:11
Written by Sutekh on 22.08.2009 at 14:07

I'm surprised at the new album too... in a good way. They have captured the vibe (but not the sound) of their heyday, with plenty of energy and attitude. It's more melodic hard rock than metal, but that's OK when it's executed as well as this.

That was my thought as well. This is one album I can seem to put down right now. All of the great elements from the 80's are here; Sweet's soaring vocals, Oz's killer rifts, catchy songs, etc.
----
(space for rent)
Sutekh

29.08.2009 at 07:20
For sure. A number of tracks (with a few minor tweaks) could have come out of their 80s catalogue, so unlike Reborn, this is definitely still Stryper.
Angel Of Mercy

15.09.2009 at 16:28
Is "Murder By Pride" any good? I loved Stryper many moons ago. Is the new album worth having?
----
Your time will come.
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts

15.09.2009 at 18:47
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 15.09.2009 at 16:28

Is "Murder By Pride" any good? I loved Stryper many moons ago. Is the new album worth having?

It sure is. You can read my review on it to get an idea.
----
(space for rent)
Angel Of Mercy

15.09.2009 at 18:59
Thanks Dane. I've been looking forward to the album for a while.
----
Your time will come.
distorted rage

16.09.2009 at 17:47
You'll be surprised, the album is a solid listen from start to finish. Nothing gound breaking, but better than what most (reborn) 80's bands are peddling these days.

----
'We entered Winter once again...The sun sets forever over Blackwater park'
Angel Of Mercy

16.09.2009 at 20:00
I would look it out, but it's not on spotify. And I can't seem to see it anywhere in the UK.

:'( Why is Christian Metal so hard to come by?
----
Your time will come.

Advertise on Metal Storm

Login or register to post here.