‹‹ Back to the Metal arena Pages: 1 2 [3]
Users visited: 212  
Search this topic:  
What is your favourite guitarrist out of these 9 axes?

Marty Friedman30
Joe Satriani21
Yngwie19
Steve Vai9
Paul Gilbert8
Michael Angelo Batio4
Tony MaCalpine2
Vinnie Moore2
Eric Johnson1

Total votes: 96

The original post

Posted by Yossarian on 11.05.2009 at 11:42
Hi all,

I know that there are already some polls about this feature. But I am focusing here just in guitarists that have produced and are known mainly by their solo albums. I am quite enthusiastic about knowing your thoughts about who is the most skilled out of these 9. Please consider everything related to technique: speed, use of distortion and pedals, elegance, difficulty in shredding... and take also into account their feeling while playing and all issues in general. There is another poll containing some of these nine, but Michael Angelo, Vinnie, Tony and Joe are not featured and they are quite important in the "axe" scene.
Now I have to say that there are others such as Joey Tafolla, Jason Becker, Michael Lee Firkins, Jose Luis Pizarro... that I have not included because they are not so popular and there are many great guitarists playing in their own bands or delivering not mainly instrumental albums such as Petrucci, Van Halen, James Murphy, Skolnick... and many others from another time: Buckethead, Dimebag, Akira Tabayashi, Ritchie Blackmore, Paul Quinn -Saxon-, Michael Schenker, Adrian Vandenberg and all Ozzy, Dio and Thin Lizzy guitarists.

I knew Yngwie in 1987, and IMO he is still the best Axe composing sung songs as in Marching Out, Odissey..., then Satriani, close later Vai after playing in Whitesnake and showing himself in the film "Crossroads" with "Karate Kid" back in @1989. I knew Vinnie from Vicious Rumors, Paul Gilbert from Racer X and Jason-Marty from Cacophony. Macalpine and Michael Angelo came into scene some time after and, finally, I listened Eric Johnson after being part of G3 most recently. I used to be fan of Satriani until I watched him together with Vai in the same concert "Leyendas de la Guitarra" in Seville 1992. After that, Vai has been my favourite and, despite how good are the others, with difference.

Well, what is your choice?

Page 3 of 3

Dark Blood
The Avenger

25.02.2010 at 22:28
Written by Yossarian on 25.02.2010 at 22:02

Written by Dark Blood on 20.02.2010 at 18:59

I've voted for Satriani. Definitely one of the best guitarists of all time IMO.

As Saitenhexerin mentioned, Jeff Loomis is missing! But then again, we cant include all the good ones.. no space? There's always Rusty Cooley and John Petrucci too.

Hi. I meant no room really when i said "space" -it was a literal translation from Spanish-, you can only place 9 options in every poll. I would have liked to include Petrucci, Buckethead, Greg Howe, me -joking-, Jason Becker or Patrick Rondat -recently discovered-, but... no room.

Yeah I know. There are just too many good guitarists to be mentioned in the poll.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
Yossarian

06.04.2010 at 21:07
Megadeth are making a reunion tour from Rust in Peace, so perhaps you will be able to see Marty live.
blacktooth85

03.04.2011 at 23:27
Joe
renai

04.04.2011 at 03:45
Vinnie moore, really love his style.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
MetalSpider

04.04.2011 at 04:17
I don't really listen to a lot of solo guitarists.

Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman and Satriani are all awesome.

I personally prefer the music of Jeff Loomis. Keith Merrow is another guitarist who writes some bad ass music. Buckethead is also really damn good! And he writes some strange but interesting music.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
Malphas

04.04.2011 at 16:25
Out of the poll, for me it's a tough decision between Michael Angelo Batio and Yngwie Malmsteen but i'm gonna go with Batio and as MetalSpider said... Buckethead has to be one of the most brilliant guitarist out there (but he can't be found on any list of best guitarists because according to reviewers his music doesn't have any "soul" in it) lol i don't know if u guys knew about this but for one of the Guitar Hero games (don't remember which one exactly) activision had invited Buckethead to play a solo as the main riff/theme song of the game so he went there started playing and as he finished he just took his guitar and left, that was when the guys from the studio realized they were not recording, so they asked him to play it again but he just left, lol, afterwards activision invited several guitarists to try and replay what Buckethead had played, but noone managed to do so, so they just got Zakk Wylde to play a solo of his
----
exclude the impossible, and what's left is the truth.
Yasmine

04.04.2011 at 17:36
I don't think buckethead touches Broderick, Batio, or Rusty Cooley, I'm just saying. His stuff is certainly neat, and he's very good. But not in the same league as Batio. I went for Gilbert because I've seen him do some really really messed up stuff live. lol

Also we obviously have a lot of Megadeth fans cause Marty also isn't in the same breath as Batio, etc.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
Yossarian

15.01.2012 at 08:28
Comon guys. Vai still third?.
BloodTears
Stella Artois

15.01.2012 at 15:05
And Satriani still second. I don't understand.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.
BoxCar Willy
John Doe

15.01.2012 at 23:19
Ive really only heard saatriani, so I voted for him.
----
Pop punk crusader
SuicidalCyco
Jay Boy

16.01.2012 at 00:58
Written by Yossarian on 06.04.2010 at 21:07

Megadeth are making a reunion tour from Rust in Peace, so perhaps you will be able to see Marty live.

Is that different from the Jagermeister tour from 2010? Because I saw Megadeth on that tour and it was the Rust in Peace 20th Anniversary and there was no Marty. But still a righteous concert no doubt.
----
The sun may never set on the British empire, but it never sets on my asshole either.
Yossarian

19.01.2012 at 19:03
Written by SuicidalCyco on 16.01.2012 at 00:58

Written by Yossarian on 06.04.2010 at 21:07

Is that different from the Jagermeister tour from 2010? Because I saw Megadeth on that tour and it was the Rust in Peace 20th Anniversary and there was no Marty. But still a righteous concert no doubt.

Sorry man. I have no idea. Sometime around last year I heard about a reunion with the R.I.P. formation and never heard about that since. Anyways Marty appears to be happy with his japanese tv career, so who knows if he will be interested
Jtbmetal123

28.03.2013 at 16:41
Buckethead kills all of them.
Lit.
Brütal Legend

28.03.2013 at 18:47
Santana.
----
THERE'S SEMEN ON EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!"

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Login or register to post here.