03. Crux Ansata - Part III: Redemption
04. Infinitive
05. Choices
06. Lord Of The Dead
07. Forces
08. Sands Of Time
09. Above Them All
10. Misty Fate

Progressive Brazilian Metal should maybe become a trade mark. I mean that it cannot be compared to Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain Of Salvation or Beyond Twilight. This is probably more "Power" in the spirit, but still different of many other things. Last Angra's albums tend to flirts with this music but Andre Matos with Shaman (which did that without him too actually) and his own solo project probably where the living proofs of this new kind of music. After those bands, this is now the turn of Ansata to play in this category, and well the result is pretty cool so maybe that you should have a look at their first release don't you think?

How could I describe this "famous" Prog from Brazil? well let's say that Power Metal is preeminent but of course, the true Progressive influences are there too. Between blasting Power Metal and complex Prog, the music of Ansata is not bad at all for someone who likes Prog like Power. There are powerful rhythms, blasting double bass drums, good melodies, complex arrangements and guitars soli which give the real Prog appellation to the music. Asanta is not the first band to do this music (see the names above) but "Crux Ansata" is really good with great songs like "Choices" with its really good keyboards melody or the three "Crux Asanta" songs? "Crux Ansata" is a really good debut, between Angra, Ark and classic Power Metal. This is cool absolutely!

Malagueta's voice is, in my opinion, one of the best points of the album. I'm not saying that he is the best of the best but his voice is classy and perfect for progressive Metal, though he is not the only good elements of the album, and the other band members are all really good in what they do. The lyrics are intelligent and well written and the concept (spiritual things all in all) of the album works. The recording doesn't have any big problems, "Crux Ansata" is a good album honestly.

As you can know now, this release is a good cross-over between Power and Prog but really this is not cliché and the songs sound good. Of course this is not classic Prog but if you like big blasts and like bands like Angra or Shaman, I think that you should get this album as soon as possible. A promising debut by a good Brazilian newcomer?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 10.05.2009

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 20 users
13.05.2009 - 23:33
Susan
Smeghead
Very enjoyable. Solid. Solid performances, compositions, recording, everything. It's dangerously close to not being memorable, though, but they pull it off and add their special touch. Especially for a new band - serious potential. They sound like pros already.

I agree that the vocalist gives one hell of a performance, definitely a stand-out among other vocalists in this style. I can't agree that he's the best part of this album, though, since all players seem to pull their weight equally. Great ensemble playing.

It kind of reminds me of the last Silent Force album, in a way
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 4522 | This month: 5