06. Towards The Pantheon [alternative mix]
07. The Majesty Of The Night Sky [alternative mix]
08. I Am The Black Wizards [alternative mix]
09. Inno A Satana [alternative mix]

The Alckerhaugen Tapes 1993
10. The Majesty Of The Night Sky [4-track pre-production]
11. The Burning Shadows Of Silence [pre-production rehearsal]
12. I Am The Black Wizards [rehearsal]

Behold the greatest symphonic black metal release ever! "In The Nightside Eclipse" is one of the most important albums in the 90's Norwegian black metal scene. Consisting of 8 tracks plus two covers (Bathory - "A Fine Day To Die" and King Diamond's "Gypsy") this album has managed to show the listeners that black metal can be raw and extremely melodic at the same time.
Due to the changes which Emperor introduced into their music throughout their existence (mixing in progressive elements), black metal elitists in their periods truly enjoy taking a shit on Emperor every once in a while. But even those guys can't argue with me when I say that this album is a masterpiece.

Ihsahn was the main composer on this album, and as a guitarist, he focused on creating powerful riffs, often comprising of diminished structures which resulted in a sound that sends chills down your spine. He also composed the keyboards and managed to use them to create a unique atmosphere surrounding all these raw riffs. But the keyboards are definitely not overused. In songs such as "Towards The Pantheon" you can hear a subtle clean guitar line which is inferior to the keyboard melody going on at the same time, but such situations are rare in this album.

The vocals are also done by Ihsahn. They sound very powerful, and can really amaze the listener at times, but the lyrics are very hard to understand. Clean vocals are also rare in the album. If you read the lyrics they might strike you as being pompous and perhaps over the top, but they surely do add to the quality of this release.

Faust has done a good job with the drumming as well. It's nothing too special, mostly generic beats with a few variations every now and then, some really energetic blasting, but it is all well put and clear. The production is a bit fuzzy, but by the time the magic of this album sucks you in, you won't even notice it. You'll be on your way to fantasy land.

This album basically has it all, it's even got a really killer cover. It's a landmark of True Norwegian Black Metal and it sure is a shame to miss out on something like this.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Smurfophagist | 11.05.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Paganblood
Rating:
Emperor released their first full length album "In The Nightside Eclipse" in 1994. At the time, Emperor's line-up consisted of Ihsahn on lead guitars, vocals and keyboards, Samoth on guitars, Tchort on bass and Faust on drums. This album is indeed a masterpiece album in the Black Metal genre. It consists of ten tracks including the bonus tracks "A Fine Day To Die" (Bathory cover) and "Gypsy" (Merciful Fate cover). Alver (bass), Trym (drums) and Charmand Grimloch (keyboards) make appearances on the two cover songs.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2006 | Comments (19)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 177 users
15.05.2009 - 22:58
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
9.8? Really? There is really nothing in your review to indicate that this album is that good. With lines like "Faust has done a good job with the drumming as well. It's nothing too special, mostly generic beats" contradicts a performance, songwriting, and originality being as high as you rated.
----
(space for rent)
15.05.2009 - 23:22
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
Yeah, the review itself is not bad but the rating is too high for what you've expressed.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.05.2009 - 00:20
Smurfophagist

Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2009 at 22:58

9.8? Really? There is really nothing in your review to indicate that this album is that good. With lines like "Faust has done a good job with the drumming as well. It's nothing too special, mostly generic beats" contradicts a performance, songwriting, and originality being as high as you rated.

black metal is not jazz. even I as a huge black metal fan am forced to admit that drum beats do not vary too much from artist to artist in this genre.
But Ihsahn's riffwork makes up for the shortages in the drumming. I have explained how. And if I'm not mistaken, someone gave 'IX Equilibrium' a 9.9, and offered all of the explanations in a very small and a shallow review. I believe I managed to to describe this album the best I could and the rating is fully justified. Also consider that this album invented symphonic BM and is regarded to be the best BM album ever by a great number metalheads. As for my explanations, I believe that they stand behind this rating.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
16.05.2009 - 05:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Smurfophagist on 16.05.2009 at 00:20

black metal is not jazz. even I as a huge black metal fan am forced to admit that drum beats do not vary too much from artist to artist in this genre.
But Ihsahn's riffwork makes up for the shortages in the drumming. I have explained how. And if I'm not mistaken, someone gave 'IX Equilibrium' a 9.9, and offered all of the explanations in a very small and a shallow review. I believe I managed to to describe this album the best I could and the rating is fully justified. Also consider that this album invented symphonic BM and is regarded to be the best BM album ever by a great number metalheads. As for my explanations, I believe that they stand behind this rating.

Oh, you can stand by your rating all you want, still doesn't make it a sensible rating. Even with your review, it now where near merits that kind of rating. All I am doing is advising you as a reviewer and giving my opinion. I honestly believe that your rating screams fanboy and not much more. The descriptions of the album don't amount to much more than "i like this album" and very little description of why it is supposed to be so good. On top of that, the only slightly negative thing you have to say is about the production, which you give a 9! Sorry but the production on this album is somewhere around a 6 or 7 in my book.

I'd suggest on your next review look to give more examples and explanations and also to point out the weak areas. Every album has them. I don't care how much Master of Puppets of Operation: Mindcrime kick ass, there are areas that could be stronger on them, and your review of this albums should note its weak points as well.

You talk about the riffs on the album as being good, please tell us what makes them so good. What patterns are being used? How about the tuning? Is there some cool modes at work, or is it pretty standard? That sort of thing.
----
(space for rent)
16.05.2009 - 15:27
Smurfophagist

Written by Dane Train on 16.05.2009 at 05:03

Written by Smurfophagist on 16.05.2009 at 00:20

Oh, you can stand by your rating all you want, still doesn't make it a sensible rating. Even with your review, it now where near merits that kind of rating. All I am doing is advising you as a reviewer and giving my opinion. I honestly believe that your rating screams fanboy and not much more. The descriptions of the album don't amount to much more than "i like this album" and very little description of why it is supposed to be so good. On top of that, the only slightly negative thing you have to say is about the production, which you give a 9! Sorry but the production on this album is somewhere around a 6 or 7 in my book.

I'd suggest on your next review look to give more examples and explanations and also to point out the weak areas. Every album has them. I don't care how much Master of Puppets of Operation: Mindcrime kick ass, there are areas that could be stronger on them, and your review of this albums should note its weak points as well.

You talk about the riffs on the album as being good, please tell us what makes them so good. What patterns are being used? How about the tuning? Is there some cool modes at work, or is it pretty standard? That sort of thing.

The production:
by black metal standards it's a 9. by non BM standards it's a 6 or 7. I love black metal and that is why I only review BM albums, and when I write reviews for such albums I rate them according to BM standards.
I already said that the riffs have diminished structures, and send chills up your spine (that can be described as intervals which make the riffs kinda horror-like).
This is probably my fav album and that's why I rated it this high, but I also gave explanations. Call it fanboyism if you want.
P.S.: Don't get me wrong, constructive criticism does not offend me a least bit, quite the contrary.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
16.05.2009 - 15:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I think the 10 for production is spot on because his sort of production PERFECTLY FITS this album. It wouldn't fit wankery twiddly Dream Theater music though, would this production be used there I would rate it a 5 but the same applies if the Dream Theater production were to have been used here I would also rate that a 5. There is no such thing as a perfect produtcion across the boards. One band's perfect production is another band's horrid one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2011 - 08:10
SlaytanicGonzo

Written by Dane Train on 16.05.2009 at 05:03

Jeez, what a review etilist. Sometimes you think some riffs are THAT good, and you can't really explain why. Metal is not a perfect science, it depends on taste. If he thinks the album deserves such a high score because of the riffs, then fine. Who cares about the patterns or the tuning? If it sounds good, it sounds good. Plus, not all people are musicians to know the tuning and so on.
23.09.2011 - 00:08
Rating: 9
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Problem is, people keep bitching about overall ratings while it clearly says when you write a review that it describes the overall feel. =/

Great review by the way man, and I love this album from first listen already.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
27.11.2011 - 02:12
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Iron Nostarion on 23.09.2011 at 00:08

Great review by the way man, and I love this album from first listen already.

For sure. The atmosphere the orchestration creates impeccably engulfs the listener.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
13.06.2016 - 19:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Problem whit those cover are that they were pioneers ne of 1th, and in those times there was not good BM bands to cover... now we have good bands , just saying
Covers are nothing special
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6477 | This month: 25