02. Hollow Retribution
03. Blessed And Forsaken
04. Madness Prevails
05. Redeemed In Flames
06. Nailed, Quartered, Consumed
07. Eternity Appears
08. Rotting Hill
09. Blood Rapture

I hadn't heard anything about Vomitory up to the moment I read an interview of Fenriz (Darkthrone) who, trying to sound funny, said that Vomitory could never make a sold out live at Oslo! So, being curious, I searched their discography. The first album that fell in my hands was Blood Rapture. From the first listening I fell in love with this album, especially with its music!

Well, put the album on the CD-player, press the "play" button and then you will face: "Chaos Fury"! The title of the album's first song is the perfect description of what you are going to face! It is a terrific Death Metal song, powerful, really fast, with great riffs; it is the right song to be the opener of the album! All the songs of the album are great, including furious drumming, fast riffing and some great melodies which make it very pleasant to listen! "Blood Rapture", the last and same-titled song is different than the other as it is the only song of the album that starts with a slow tempo! But don't be afraid, that lasts for only two minutes, as it after turns into a Death Metal anthem!

Generally, Vomitory worked enough for this album, something that we can easily assume. I must not forget to mention that the guitar work is awesome! Every riff and Every melody are just great. The vocals are nice, but I would prefer it if they where a bit different. The drummer does good work but in 1-2 songs I feel that the way he plays doesn't help the guitars sound good (example: on "Nailed, Quarted, Consumed" after 0:36). The production is nice and helps the guitars sound perfect.

The highlight on this album is not the songs (which are all great) but the great work that the guitarists do! I am not talking about technique but about the amazing music that Vomitory wrote. Blood Rapture is a smashing Death Metal album and surely deserves a try! I won't mention best songs as I'm having a difficulty myself in deciding which is my favorite one, because I love them all!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Deadmeat | 22.04.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 64 users
16.05.2009 - 19:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This is a really great album: a solid effort from the band. I really disagree with what you said in regards to the drumming though (oddly enough, "Nailed, Quartered, Consumed" is my favourite track for drums). Excellent guitar work throughout and superb production, as you said. I like Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize better at this point, but this is definitely worth the 8.7. Good review by the way (try to tone it down on the exclamation marks)!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.05.2009 - 19:43
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.05.2009 at 19:09

This is a really great album: a solid effort from the band. I really disagree with what you said in regards to the drumming though (oddly enough, "Nailed, Quartered, Consumed" is my favourite track for drums). Excellent guitar work throughout and superb production, as you said. I like Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize better at this point, but this is definitely worth the 8.7. Good review by the way (try to tone it down on the exclamation marks)!

hehehe! the proofreader told me also! i was in awe while reviewing this album and didn't watch out!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.06.2009 - 10:34
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Best Vomitory album, althou is hard to choose the best one since they are all excellent to me. But this one has a larger number of memorable tracks: ''Eternity Appears'', ''Blood Rapture'', ''Madness Prevails'' and ''Blessed and Forsaken''. All catchy and fast just the way I like.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.10.2010 - 15:26
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Indeed an Absolutely smashing death metal record.. love how this band keep their pace of bruatality consistent throughout their works
16.08.2021 - 04:50
Rating: 8
BlankFile

A really solid and consistent record. Very good indeed.

Hits total: 5172 | This month: 7