07. Corpse In A Nebulous Creek
08. Invisible Physic Entity
09. Heretic Poltergeist Phenomena
10. La Malediction De La Dame Blanche
11. There Was No Light [bonus]
12. After Death Premises [bonus]
13. Yonder Realm Photography [bonus]
+ Making of [video]

Let's start with the usual 'they sound like this and this and this band' game, to be done with it quickly.

Carach Angren play symphonic black metal, with quite a lot classical elements and orchestrations, which can sometimes be reminiscent of label-mates Le Grand Guignol, but without the great, über-baroque feel. Of course, the name 'Dimmu Borgir' is bound to pop up in a review of this kind of music... So? Yes, their influence can be felt, of course, but not overbearingly so. Finally, the last song will draw gazes towards the baroque masters Misanthrope, as it is sung in French.

Now, let's see what we can really say about the music.

After someone (probably a guy) is running, frightened, in the night during the introduction, the assault starts. The drumming is powerful and precise, with quite a lot (a lot!) of blasts and double bass. The guitar work is good too, a bit in the background (see below), but there are soli too, and it can be said that these guys know how to shred.

The keyboard parts are the real highlight of this album. They often sound like old horror movies soundtracks, this being most remarkable in Invisible Physic Entity, with its high-pitched, dissonant keyboards. That's great! And the orchestrations are generally very good, well used, and often more catchy than the guitar parts (as in The Carriage Wheel Murder); in fact, the keys often take the lead, leaving the guitars to rhythmic duties.

There are no real satanic lyrics included here, which is always nice, as it brings a breath of fresh air. Or, in that case, a cold breeze coming straight from an old haunted house, as all the lyrics are about ghost stories. Each song tells a different story; it's all well and good except when the narrative parts starts, because they are quite cheesy... Hexed Melting Flesh is a good (?) example. Oh, by the way, it's a 'dame blanche' - as in the songtitle - and not a 'madame blanche'...

So, no, it's not really frightening (it's no 'horror metal'), but quite moody (and nicely so), thanks again to the keyboard work. The production is good and clear, but not like the over-clean production of the latest Dimmu albums, and that's a relief, as it doesn't feel cold and soulless.

All in all, Lammendam is a pleasant listen, if not really groundbreaking; a good pick for symphonic black metal fans, and keyboards driven metal in general.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 19.05.2009 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Guest review by
Synapse
Rating:
Now, when it comes to black metal, I'm definitely a very big fan. I'd say it's certainly within my top 3 genres of metal. I've had my favorites from the whole black metal genre, always leaning towards the more melodic and symphonic side (i.e. Emperor, Dimmu Borgir), but I guess I have finally found my favorite black metal band; Carach Angren.

Read more ››
published 16.09.2013 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 202 users
19.05.2009 - 13:31
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
I listened to the first two tracks on the myspace player; doesn't sound bad at all in terms of musicianship, especially the keyboards, like you wrote. But I think they sound a bit too "cheerful" for this kind of music and also for the concept. A shame actually, if they were a bit darker and "scarier" perhaps I'd probably dig this a lot.
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
19.05.2009 - 15:55
Lord_Regnier
I think this album is very good, if you like melodic/symphonic BM.
It's not the best album in my BM collection but it's quite decent. I enjoy listening to it from time to time.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
19.05.2009 - 19:07
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Sounds like I'd better check them out
btw, the band name is actually the name of the inner gate of Mordor in Lord Of The Rings...
----
loves 小巫
20.05.2009 - 02:48
Rating: 9
Ask
I love this album. Bought it after listening to half of it. Still one of my favorites from last year.
20.05.2009 - 19:59
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Wow - this music is so decadent! I'd better pick it up... Yeah, Momo, the keyboards really do seem to be the highlight. I'm definitely in the mood for this.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.05.2009 - 09:08
FOOCK Nam
May I know, is there any clean vocal in this album ?
21.05.2009 - 21:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by FOOCK Nam on 21.05.2009 at 09:08

Not really. Even the narratives aren't clean (forced, hushed raspy vocals)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
21.05.2009 - 21:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Darkside Momo on 21.05.2009 at 21:31

Written by FOOCK Nam on 21.05.2009 at 09:08

Not really. Even the narratives aren't clean (forced, hushed raspy vocals)

Btw new album should be out soon.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2009 - 00:20
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2009 at 21:46

Are you sure, Marcel? "Lammendam" is very recent. It was released in 2008.

I'm happy if it's true. I like Carach Angren.
----
23.05.2009 - 14:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.05.2009 at 00:20

I am 100% sure. I know Lammendam is from 2008 but it is from early 2008 and now we're already almost halfway through 2009
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2009 - 14:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 23.05.2009 at 00:20

Update... not as soon as I thought but at the end of the year. Here read the first post http://forum.zwaremetalen.com/forum_topic/3179059?hl=carach,angren
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2009 - 15:00
Lord_Regnier
Thanks for the info. It's a very short delay between both releases. I think bands like Wintersun should follow this example, it would surely not hurt.

Glad to know I'll have a new BM album to add to my collection in a few months.

EDIT: They say it should be released near the end of 2009. As albums are almost always delayed a bit, I expect an early 2010 release.
----
04.06.2009 - 11:38
Throne Dweller
I think the vocalist and song structures are more akin to Naglfar, than Dimmu Borgir.
21.08.2010 - 13:51
Rating: 9
Windrider
Raureif
I think the greatest influence can be felt from Cradle Of Filth, especially their Cruelty... album, mixed with Dimmu-like pianos.
06.09.2010 - 17:43
Rating: 8
CyberSymphony
Ollie
The rating im my own opinion should be much higher, i love the orchestrations and theatrical works, this is definitly my sort of music.
07.09.2010 - 00:35
RavenKing
I liked this album very much a while ago but I grew tired of their sound, it seems. No wonder, as I'm really not a big fan of orchestrations and I don't like symphonic metal in general. Last time I listened to it, the symphonic elements got on my nerves because I had some trouble following the riffs. Vocals are not the best either.

To give you an idea how much my interest for the band dropped, I bought the new album at release and still haven't found the motivation to listen to it...
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody

Hits total: 8150 | This month: 12