Metal Storm logo
Heavy Music, Clean Vocals.

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 19.05.2009 - 18:48
I am so sick of the "extreme" vocals. It seems like virtually every new band that comes out has to use them in order to get noticed and promote themselves as being heavy. Between the Nu Metal invasion, the Melodic Death Metal explosion and the most recent Metalcore infestation I get the feeling that the only vocals are growls/screams/shrieks/barks/grunts/other animal noises.

On the flip side, most of the bands I am finding that use clean vocals are watered down nancies playing Power Metal or some type of boring, radio-friendly Alt. Metal. Out of these bands virtually none of the vocalist have the awesome power we once heard from people like Geoff Tate or Dio.

Are there any bands out there that are playing heavy music but with clean vocals? I know there are since I have been listening to some such as Nevermore, Evergrey, and Katatonia. But what else is out there?
05.08.2009 - 07:34
Derwood

I've come to prefer death growls for the most part. What I can't stand in the newer bands are the clean vocals that sound like bloody boy band harmonies which are so prevalent among the metalcore bands. I'm a big fan of Priest and Maiden, so I definitely appreciate clean vocals that are powerful and, well, metal. Power metal vocals sound so...wussy to my ears. Maybe guys like Dio, Halford, Dickenson and Tate have just spoiled us for so many years that nothing else comes close.

Cage is a good traditional heavy metal band from the US. I haven't heard their new album yet, but their Darker Than Black album from 2003 is great. 2007's Hell Destroyer is solid musically but suffers from a definite cheese factor in the lyric department. I also like Grave Digger quite a bit.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
06.08.2009 - 04:08
wormdrink414

I am a growl guy 95 percent of the time. I make exceptions for Neil Fallon, Bruce Dickinson, and stunning you-won't-believe-the-power-or-beauty-of-her-or-his-voice Opera performers, otherwise I am content with many of the growls of modern metal. Pavarotti vs. Corpsegrinder, Corpsegrinder wins.
12.10.2009 - 03:18
ToMegaTherion

One band that is incredibly heavy while maintaining clean vocals is Candlemass at least from what iv heard which is only two albums.
17.11.2009 - 05:43
KILLAK1621

Well im about 75 25 in favor of growls, but i usually find much comfort and confidence in a band who can properly pull of strong and powerful clean vocals; one of my favorite bands, which is the best of both vocal worlds, would have to be scar symmetry, their first 3 albums had one vocalist (Christian Älvestam)...abosluetely amazing vocalist; as where their latest work (dark matter demensions), they had to recruit 2 vocalist, one for the deeper growls and one for the clean vocals...but in my opinion dont ever come close to same level...

but as far as pure clean vocals id recommend Pathosray's Sons of the Sunless skies album
----
Your Born
You Do Shit
You Die!
17.11.2009 - 08:01
MetallicA

This is a great thread!

I've heard of most of the bands listed but I'll give a listen to the others. Yeah I agree with the topic creator that most bands with clean vocals (who aren't power or thrash) just friggin suck. They're all so whiny sounding. That's probably why I prefer growling...it's definitely not whiny!

hmmm any bands I can think of to add that weren't mentioned already?

Eluveitie comes to mind (probably cause I just saw them)...the man growls but not in every song and on their most recent album, he hardly ever growls and the women sing alot more.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
24.11.2010 - 14:51
Dannyvect

Keep an eye out for my next project, I have been doing multiple melodeath Scar Symmetry / solution .45 soilwork sorts of bands for years now..

I'm bored of it, it's all started to blur into the same thing for me so... I decided to keep the tracks and remove all the death metal vocals and beef up the layering on all my songs.. (try and re-invent the wheel a little) E.P is due out January. I like it, it is a damn site more difficult to do as it relied on pure talent (I won't use autotune grrr) the songs are recorded bar the vocals which will take another 150 hours then there is the mixing and mastering so another month to month and a half.

I have followed the masses for ages cause I knew it was going to be a massive battle to justify the music but I think there has to be some sort of market out there for it, I hope the years of work and the thousands of pounds and the difficult times ahead will be worth it.

www.shadowkind.co.uk

P.S who would of every thought clean singing with metal would become a niche? (Excluding pirate, pixy, power and all of that).
24.11.2010 - 15:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Havta agree with Iced Earth. totally heavy music but mostly with clean vocals... Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings should be quite enjoyable for people who are into this stuff(like me )
24.11.2010 - 15:34
Luneth
Account deleted
Sonata Arctica, Dragonland, Firewind, Galneryus, Dream Evil

Very heavy, very clean
24.11.2010 - 16:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Clean I agree, but I totally disagree that their music heavy although OLD Firewind is heavier than today. Especially SA I would describe as the epitome of unheavy music. but maybe that's the pop power metal hater in me speaking.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.11.2010 - 21:17
arwestromen

Looking for the same thing haven't really found anything... except for some power metal bands and a swedish industrial metal band called Raubtier, very heavy quite clean vocal
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
27.11.2010 - 11:08
npk

Queen did some heavy stuff with clean vocals.

Try these:
Stone Cold Crazy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katk3LqaVwM

Ogre Battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTPVhSwpfc
----
"What is left of your dreams?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learned how to teach.
Then forgot how to learn." ~ Queen?White Man
30.11.2010 - 00:11
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.11.2010 at 16:55

Clean I agree, but I totally disagree that their music heavy although OLD Firewind is heavier than today. Especially SA I would describe as the epitome of unheavy music. but maybe that's the pop power metal hater in me speaking.

As a pop Powermetal hater, I agree with you.

To the OP: Sorry, but I can't help you. I feel the same way as you but the other way around. I'm sick of clean vocals in metal and listen almost exclusively to metal with harsh vocals nowadays.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
28.02.2011 - 19:32
BrokenKnuckles

Killswitch Engage's Howard Jones is a great singer in my opinion. He sings really well and still screams too. His cover of Holy Diver was just amazing.
02.03.2011 - 01:44
Graveheart

No mention of Blood Revolt yet. Apparently they're not even featured in the database although they shouldn't be too obscure since the Primordial vocalist is in this band too.

Then there's Act of God. It might be very hard to find their album though.

02.03.2011 - 05:35
Xtopher

Death Angel. You can always go back to listen to some thrash.
----
03.03.2011 - 14:33
RavenKing

As a Black Metal listener, I must say I hate when BM bands mix harsh vocals and cleans.
I'm aware some people think differently but, imo, clean vocals sound out of place in BM.
I also hate when vocals are too clean in Thrash.
----
06.03.2011 - 08:15
Yojimbo

I have to say one of the best mixtures of clean vocals and harsh is My Dying Bride. That singer has a fantastic voice.
06.03.2011 - 11:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by RavenKing on 03.03.2011 at 14:33

As a Black Metal listener, I must say I hate when BM bands mix harsh vocals and cleans.
I'm aware some people think differently but, imo, clean vocals sound out of place in BM.

Oh well... Ulver's debut sounds pretty perfect for me though and by no means out of place, tastes differ.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.03.2011 - 15:08
ForeverDarkWoods

Clean vocals in bm works sometimes, but very rarely, and even then never the wannabe epic crap. I like this though:

Dirty as fuck, as opposed to the suckiness of:

My username would also indicaate that I'm a sucker for viking-era Bathory, which I think is quite heavy but with clean vox (not bm though).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
06.03.2011 - 15:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think clean vocals can be a great respite during particularly challenging songs, a better example I cannot think of:

Everyone's least favourite album that features only a song's worth of female (I think, might not be) cleans halfway or so through the album (and even then only halfway through the song if you can stomach getting to it). When they kick in it takes the music to transcendental level:
06.03.2011 - 16:09
RavenKing

Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.03.2011 at 11:58

Oh well... Ulver's debut sounds pretty perfect for me though and by no means out of place, tastes differ.

I don't like "Bergtatt". The only Ulver album I own is "Nattens Madrigal".
----
27.04.2011 - 22:50
caimanjosh

It sounds what you want is modern "heavy" metal, which, alas, is a genre that isn't so popular these days. A few to try, though: Hibria (thrashy, aggressive, powerful vocals), Sabaton (not real complex but strong vox, good songwriting), Stormwarrior (speed/viking with clean vox), Wuthering Heights (same). You might also try Silent Force's last 2 albums (Worlds Apart and Walk the Earth) -- they're technically power metal but these albums are more heavy than power, and DC Cooper's vocals are terrific.