Metal Storm logo
Coronatus

20.05.2009 - 03:19
albatros

Hello everybody, I want to introduce Coronatus from Southwestern Germany. Based on a traditional metal outfit is the core, two female voices. Carmen R. Schäfer contributes a brilliant soprano voice, while Ada Flechtner sets a contrast with her rock voice. In my opinion this striking contrast provides the tension, that makes the whole operation worthwhile to listen to. If you happen to like this kind of music at all.

Founded in 1999, the band has been in existence for over 10 years, but only recently found a line-up that was stable enough to allow for two CDs. Coronatus' music is a nice melange of many influences. Soprano voice and some familiar keyboard lines like in Nightwish, simple, yet effective lyrics, that always tell a little story, like in Visions Of Atlantis, powerful drums like in Delain, with catchy and sometimes hymnic melodies wrapped around refrains that are easy to remember, like you find them in neofolk or pagan bands.

I think Coronatus might provide some comfort for a few of the lost souls, that are wandering aimlessly since Nightwish crucially changed their heading and After Forever bought the farm, while most of the competition went pop. I found them to be very rewarding as a live band. For a quick impression, try here.
20.05.2009 - 10:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nah traditional metal? for me its lil like Running Wild, MP, Grave Digger, X Wild this sounds like sympho metal something
I like it i know band and its not bad at all, if remebe correct firts one was in english last album in german,
This band remainds me serbian band Abonos(not m,usicaly, but because of chiks )
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.05.2009 - 14:36
albatros

Agreed. With "traditional" I wanted to refer to the line-up of instruments, but keyboards are hardly traditional. So, ok, thank you.
20.05.2009 - 14:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by albatros on 20.05.2009 at 14:36

Agreed. With "traditional" I wanted to refer to the line-up of instruments, but keyboards are hardly traditional. So, ok, thank you.

Ger has good bands ''so called gothic'' where is chicks in bands, mid 90's tehy realy have good such style bands Flowing tears and withered flowers one of best exmple
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.05.2009 - 22:42
GT
Coffee!!
I might check them out since I like symphonic metal. Do the have a website and/or MySpace?

EDIT: never mind found them. MySpace / website
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.05.2009 - 14:57
albatros

Written by GT on 20.05.2009 at 22:42

I might check them out since I like symphonic metal. Do the have a website and/or MySpace?

EDIT: never mind found them. MySpace / website

sorry, saw this too late. Thanks for providing the links.

I think, their strong side is the vocal work, especially the mellow soprano voice. Lyrics and melodies often lean towards what you get to hear on medieval festivals.
If one doesn't like neither of this, then I guess all hope is in vain.
24.05.2009 - 01:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Thanks for the rec
I rmbr stumbling across them in metalstorm, but dismissed them straight away, but just checked them out upon your recommendation and realised what I big mistake my initial assumptions were!
EDIT:
but damn... they don't have full english albums > <
----
loves 小巫
27.12.2009 - 03:25
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I just received the latest album, "Fabula Magna" in the mail today and have been enjoying it for the most part. It's essentially in the same direction as their previous albums, so I think people who like those will like this one. I think it's a bit more interesting than their last album, so maybe around an 8 for me. I liked the songs that were least in the style of their typical sound or lyrical writings, one of which is "Flying By (Alone)" which is inspired by a Poe poem (I don't know which), as well as the song "Josy", which is a bit unusual for the band, dealing with 1920s prohibition in Chicago. It's probably the track that sounds best with new vocalist Lisa's style, which is a bit underutilized on the album (in fact she does all the vocals I think here).

The digipak bonuses are worth it if you are planning on buying the album, as they are quality reworks of two of the band's older tracks, with one acoustic and one revision with the new lineup now.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
27.12.2009 - 17:51
albatros

Good to see your preliminary evaluation So far I've only listened to the samples, which didn't convince me yet. I will buy the album anyway.
02.07.2010 - 01:49
Jason W.
Razorbliss
New video posted by the band, for the track "Kristallklares Wasser" is up HERE. A good but standard video, but glad they took the time to film it before the lineup changes
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
02.07.2010 - 09:23
albatros

They published the video a short while ago and I thought "oh wow ! " and one day later I read, that both singers have evaporated.

Carmen's logic is totally understandable to me and for me there is no reason to complain. I like "Fabula Magna" and together with the new video they left a nice heritage.

If you really like a band, you need to go and watch them live. Now !
They may be gone tomorrow.