Metal Storm logo
Pink Floyd

17.05.2006 - 12:13
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
One of the most influential rock bands that have ever existed, in my opinion!

Until their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, led by Syd Barrett.
From there on having David Gilmour on the guitar, together with Roger Waters composing the music for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.
Roger Waters composed The Wall and The Final Cut almost completely by himself. And after that he left the band.
Pink Floyd produced 2 more albums after The Final Cut.

They have performed recently on the Live8 festival, and they're touring again. Unfortunately, I'm not going to see them here in Holland. I don't know if Roger Waters is touring with them now or if it's just him and other band members.

I wonder what you all think of this band. What album you like best and what period you prefer (With Syd or with Roger Waters)?

But wether you like this band or not, they truly have had a damn lot of influence on the music of today.
17.05.2006 - 13:52
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Roger Waters has always been with Floyd - it was David Gilmour who replaced Syd Barrett.

I think they are touring as two separate bands - Roger Waters with his own band and the others as Pink Floyd - but I could be wrong.

My favourite album is either Dark Side of the Moon , Wish you Were Here or Meddle.

I have been lucky enough to see them twice - in the olden days !
I saw the 'Animals' tour and also 'The Wall'.
They put on a good show , although I'm not sure how much was live and how much was playback.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
17.05.2006 - 14:35
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by hanna of steel on 17.05.2006 at 13:52

Roger Waters has always been with Floyd - it was David Gilmour who replaced Syd Barrett.

I know. Maybe I just put it wrong which made you think that. Roger Waters has always been with Pink Floyd, but he left after The Final Cut.

I prefer Pink Floyd with Waters.
But I've recently been listening to The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and I really like that too. It's so crazy and odd, but very interesting!
17.05.2006 - 23:40
meTalcoholic
Waters was amang. Gilmour had a great voice, however.
God I love them so much.

Hey, has anyone heard of the Wizard of Oz/Dark side of the moon conspiracy?
----

-ZEdarkangel (a.k.a. ZD/ZeeDee)

666, Number of the Beaaaaaast!!!!!!
18.05.2006 - 03:48
eternaldoom19
Account deleted
pink floyd is my favorite band
besides the fact they make the most beatiful music they have been very influential and moving.every day i usually listen to at least one song they have been with me with a lot of my great memories
18.05.2006 - 04:26
Conemetal
Why always everyone forget to mention "Atom Heart Mother" album? It was before of "Dark Side of the Moon".
Pink Floyd is the highest level in rock evolution, they included Rock in universal music history indeed. Their art went beyond the music, with "The Wall" they worked in music, poetry, image, drawing, film script, movie, practically all the arts were in that work of art. And the feeling of "Dark Side of the Moon" is great, the music in "Wish You Where Here" or "Animals" is great, the hard political criticism in "The Wall" and in "The Final Cut" is great, Pink Floyd is great!!!
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
18.05.2006 - 07:08
Mega-Slayer
I cant say enough about Pink Floyd they are without a doubt my fav. Rock band.There isn't really a cd from them I dont like,I prefered when Roger was in the band,but I dont mind when david took over either.Animals is the greatest floyd album in my opinion ist pure genius,not just the lyrics but the whole concept of putting people into groups.Then there is Wish You Were Here,Shine on you Crazy Diamond pt.1 is some of the most beautiful music peice together,and Dick Parry's sax solo sends chills down my spine evertime I hear it.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
18.05.2006 - 10:29
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Pure genius, that's what I think about them!! I could write a book about my feelings towards them but it's the morning and I don't really feel like it after all

Written by meTalcoholic on 17.05.2006 at 23:40

Never heard of this Enlighten me please !
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
18.05.2006 - 18:44
meTalcoholic
Written by Sekhmet on 18.05.2006 at 10:29

Pure genius, that's what I think about them!! I could write a book about my feelings towards them but it's the morning and I don't really feel like it after all

Hmm ok so my History teacher last year told us that if you start playing Dark Side of the Moon on the third roar of the MGM lion at the beginning of the movie and mute the movie, then the music matches the Movie in a lot of creepy ways. My history class tried of for only the first half of the movie. I think it's worth doing if you know the CD well enough you can focus on how it blends with the movie.
----

-ZEdarkangel (a.k.a. ZD/ZeeDee)

666, Number of the Beaaaaaast!!!!!!
19.05.2006 - 04:26
Alfonso
I always liked "Piper" the best... there's a certain magic in that album that doesn't show up on their posterior recordings, as great as they are. The Dark Side-to-The Wall era songs have been kind of overplayed by many people over here for me to enjoy them anymore, but I still reckon their greatness... they just sound kinda classic rock-ish to me now.:wall:
----
19.05.2006 - 22:01
Milan
Account deleted
The Dark Side Of The Moon is a masterpiece!!! Pink Floyd is one of the best bands in the history of music. Wish You Were Here is a good album too. Actualy most of their albums are.
20.05.2006 - 00:38
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by meTalcoholic on 18.05.2006 at 18:44

Written by Sekhmet on 18.05.2006 at 10:29

Hmm ok so my History teacher last year told us that if you start playing Dark Side of the Moon on the third roar of the MGM lion at the beginning of the movie and mute the movie, then the music matches the Movie in a lot of creepy ways. My history class tried of for only the first half of the movie. I think it's worth doing if you know the CD well enough you can focus on how it blends with the movie.

Interesting! I'll try this but I have to find the movie first, I saw it quite a long time ago :
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
22.05.2006 - 12:25
MetalGoddess
yeah...Pink Floyd are one of the most great, famous and influeceble rock band ever ...like some albums from them ... but sincerily...they're not so "genius" as everybody says
----
You can't keep this fast car out of the race \m/
22.06.2006 - 05:59
LethargyMan
I finally picked up my first Pink Floyd album, The Wall, for ten bucks a few days ago...

... now I really want a copy of Dark Side of the Moon

I've always liked more progressive/avantgarde music, and Pink Floyd are really up my dark and drug-filled alley.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
22.06.2006 - 06:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
What can be said, has been. Their soundscapes, compositions, and minimalistic musicianship all add to their legend and make them a timeless classic of a band. I admit I have not heard all of their material thoroughly, for there is a lot to expereince, but my favorite is definitely 'The Wall.' I think it was just so much more evolved than anything else they had done. However, every thing else I have heard from 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' to 'Meddle' to 'Animals' to 'The Division Bell' is really fanastic. It's amazing the emotions they can convey with such minimalism.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.06.2006 - 00:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yes, the "Dark Side of Oz" does synch up at times.

I recall several of these (taken from http://www.ingsoc.com/waters/info/oz.html )

# The lyric 'Balanced on the biggest wave' coincides with Dorothy's balancing act on the fence
# 'On the Run' starts as Dorothy falls off the fence
# Chimes and Bells start ringing as the Wicked Witch appears riding her bicycle.
# During the 'Time' guitar solo, the fortune teller's sign is shown with the words "Past Present and Future"
# The Great Gig in the Sky has many incidents:

* The tornado is shown in the background as the words 'I'm am not frightened of dying' are said
* The drums start right as the wind really picks up and blows the trees from their roots.
* The singer calms down right as Dorothy is knocked unconsious by the window
* 'Great Gig in the Sky' is still playing as the house flies in the tornado

# Side 1 of the album (vinyl) is exactly as long as the black & white portion of the film
# The cash register in Money is heard right as color is seen in Oz (money = color)
# Incidents in 'Us and Them':

* The ballerinas enter on 'Us, us, us, us'
* One ballerina seems to lip sync 'ordinary men'
* Three men enter on 'Me, me, me'
* One kid's jerking motions are in sync with the music
* 'Forward he cried' is sung as Dorothy looks turns to face forward
* The Wicked Witch appears on 'Black, black'
* On 'Blue, blue, blue,' the camera switches to Dorothy (in her blue dress)
* 'And who knows which is which and who is who' is sung right when the Wicked Witch of the West looks at the recently killed Wicked Witch of the East. Note the play on words "Which is Which" vs "Witch is Witch"
* The Witch is up a the platform on 'Up, up' and then walks down on 'Down, down, down'
* As 'And in the End' is sung, the Wicked Witch of the East disappears
* On 'Out, out, out,' the good Witch of the North leaves

# 'Brain Damage' plays as the Scarecrow sings 'If I Only Had a Brain'
# Heartbeat heard at the end of the album is heard as Dorothy listens at the Tin Man's chest

Watching the movie while smashed with Floyd as the sound track was pretty cool.

As for Pink Floyd, my favorite album would have to be "DSotM" (the Dark Side of Oz being no factor in that ranking), but I also like "Wish you were here", "Meddle" and "Saucerful of Secrets" - or at least some songs of those. I really prefer their mellow, trippy pieces. Songs like "Set the controls for the heart of the sun", "one of these days", tracks like that that enable the mind to wander along on it's own... I love those.

I do not particularly care for the Wall, although I'm not sure why.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.06.2006 - 21:44
TimmyPix
WOW! I have to try that, I've got Wizard of Oz on VHS somewhere...

I don't like the early stuff with Syd Barrett, it's too...weird I guess is the best word to describe it. Walls is my fave album.
----
And remember kids, don't play with matches - flamethrowers are much more fun!
25.06.2006 - 21:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I love Pink Floyd...my favorite albums are Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle and Momentary Lapse of Reason (which many argue about being a Pink Floyd album in the first place...)...I'd love to see them live but I wouldn't pay anything over $150...throwing a butt-load of money at them won't nessesarily get them to reunite either...
30.06.2006 - 01:29
nick35
Account deleted
in a month i think it is roger waters is coming to chicago illinois by himself. Ive seen interviews from both roger waters and david gilmour saying that they will never play together again. Anywayz david is on tour for is new solo album. I heard from a friend that roger waters setlist is almost the whole dark side of the moon album and the animals album if thats true im not for sure.:noidea:
11.07.2006 - 19:09
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
You all seen this?...

Syd Barrett, one of the original members of legendary rock group Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60 from complications arising from diabetes...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm
----
This is an outrage...
11.07.2006 - 21:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Rest in peace, you crazy diamond.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.07.2006 - 03:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Damn. Rest indeed. Now I really wish you were here.
----
The force will be with you, always.
12.07.2006 - 03:36
nick35
Account deleted
david gilmour is one of the best guitar players ever. his playing style is so different from everyone else.
12.07.2006 - 21:59
TimmyPix
He puts thought into every note it seems...

Going back to DSOTM/Wizard Of Oz, there's times when it seems to work (I tried it), but theres one fatal flaw in theory - DSOTM is 38 (i think) minutes, and Wizard Of Oz is an hour and a half...
----
And remember kids, don't play with matches - flamethrowers are much more fun!
27.07.2006 - 01:02
Edible Autopsy
I've always been a fan of Pink Floyd, their music is in one word spellbinding. The first album I got by them was Obscured By Clouds which in my opinion is a good album not their best though. Animals and Dark Side of The Moon are both brilliant and it comes down to those two for the best album. The movie The Wall is awesome.

About the whole Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon. The way I heard was it was The Wall you play in sync with Wizard of Oz but ah well, you hear a lot of things.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
08.08.2006 - 00:45
fire101
Account deleted
Just picked up the Wall recently. An exceptional album. The movie is even better.
08.08.2006 - 00:48
fire101
Account deleted

Waters was amang. Gilmour had a great voice, however.
God I love them so much.

That shit is crazy. It syncs up perfectly.
25.09.2006 - 09:19
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I think its safe to say that these guys are probably one of the most important bands in music history...
25.09.2006 - 23:22
LethargyMan
I got Animals a while ago. I love the music and the concept - it's alot more concise and less... I suppose, for lack of a better term... "epic" than some of their more massive releases, but I like that feeling.

Unfortunately, I bought it used and the damned CD skips on the last two songs!

Curses!
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
26.09.2006 - 13:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like Pink Floyd, I had 2 tapes of them and i like music, but only 3 albums
''Wish You Wear Here'' ''Dark Side Of The Moon'' and ''Animals'' also oold song ''See The Emily Play'' and some songs of ''The Wall''
other album I dunno, but i think after 1980 Pink Floyd left all inspiration and talant what thay had, leither its posible listen only old songs and moustly live, but rebellion atmosfere in music gone
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing