Metal Storm logo
Pink Floyd

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:13
One of the most influential rock bands that have ever existed, in my opinion!

Until their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, led by Syd Barrett.
From there on having David Gilmour on the guitar, together with Roger Waters composing the music for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.
Roger Waters composed The Wall and The Final Cut almost completely by himself. And after that he left the band.
Pink Floyd produced 2 more albums after The Final Cut.

They have performed recently on the Live8 festival, and they're touring again. Unfortunately, I'm not going to see them here in Holland. I don't know if Roger Waters is touring with them now or if it's just him and other band members.

I wonder what you all think of this band. What album you like best and what period you prefer (With Syd or with Roger Waters)?

But wether you like this band or not, they truly have had a damn lot of influence on the music of today.
25.11.2010 - 14:07
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
The best rock band ever! i love pink floyd just watch their live act Pulse simply amazing
27.11.2010 - 12:29
npk

"Wish You Were Here" by Floyd is one of my favourite albums!!

I really love the songwriting of Pink Floyd.
----
"What is left of your dreams?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learned how to teach.
Then forgot how to learn." ~ Queen?White Man
17.12.2010 - 01:52
ANGEL REAPER

Many bands will make the tons of good music ,the few will be remembered ....
I think that people in 100 or 200 years will still know the lyrics for "Another Brick in the Wall"
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
23.12.2010 - 17:35
JD
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.12.2010 at 01:52

I think that people in 100 or 200 years will still know the lyrics for "Another Brick in the Wall"

True, they are a legends.
23.01.2011 - 10:58
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Listening to Animals right now for the second time and totally loving it. I have never listened to anything except for The Dark Side of the Moon, which I adore.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.01.2011 - 12:27
baldur

Try wish you were here
23.01.2011 - 16:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by K✞ulu on 23.01.2011 at 10:58

Listening to Animals right now for the second time and totally loving it. I have never listened to anything except for The Dark Side of the Moon, which I adore.

Animals was my very first Pink Floyd album I've ever heard and is probably my favorite so far. The long songs are just brilliant and well... The lyrics are probably the best I've read in my life.

I woyuld recommend you Meddle
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.01.2011 - 17:03
ANGEL REAPER

Last night I was on a gig and some local metal band(not bad though) played another brick in the wall (metal version) and I really liked it !
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.01.2011 - 07:38
TheBigRossowski

I actually think Another Brick in the Wall is a little overrated. I mean, it's one of those songs EVERYONE knows regardless of what they listen to.

Echoes is the way too go, man, Echoes! Then again, most people tend to dislike songs that are longer than 10 minutes long.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.01.2011 - 16:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.01.2011 at 07:38

Echoes is the way too go, man, Echoes! Then again, most people tend to dislike songs that are longer than 10 minutes long.

That's uh.... A fucking amazing track you got there man. Dogs is also a personal recommendation for long songs.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.01.2011 - 19:43
baldur

Except for one of these days and echoes meddle hasnt much to offer if you ask me
24.01.2011 - 20:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by baldur on 24.01.2011 at 19:43

Except for one of these days and echoes meddle hasnt much to offer if you ask me

I just finished listening to it, and that's my reaction at the moment. But Echoes is something I have to admit. It set me to a journey inside and made me think about all kinds of existential things. I love such music.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

24.01.2011 - 20:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

I don't agree with this. Both A Pillow Of Winds and Fearless are beautiful songs, specially A Pillow. Really nice vocals and the feeling of freedom from Fearless is amazing.

Only Aan Tropez and Seamus seem a bit off imo.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.01.2011 - 01:07
Malevolent-Jim

The Wall, Wish You Were Here and The Dark Side Of The Moon are among the finest albums I've ever heard in my life.
25.01.2011 - 19:17
TheBigRossowski

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2011 at 20:58

I don't agree with this. Both A Pillow Of Winds and Fearless are beautiful songs, specially A Pillow. Really nice vocals and the feeling of freedom from Fearless is amazing.

Only Aan Tropez and Seamus seem a bit off imo.

Agreed. Fearless even reminds me of a Led Zeppelin style song for some reason, but that's cool, that's cool...
----
26.01.2011 - 14:20
akvan

You know .... i think Pink Floyd is the best , they was creative and in my opinion all todays band are simulating theme
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
20.03.2011 - 21:15
TheBigRossowski

Meddle is SO underfuckinrated, man! What an awesome album!
----
08.06.2011 - 06:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I love the lead in trck, sounds like doctor who.

love seamus, too, specifically when the mrs and i are road tripping with the dogs. they freak out whenver that song comes on...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.06.2011 - 18:59
fabregassed
Account deleted
I've been listening to Pink Floyd for years, but one album that I never bought was "The Wall". I finally got it yesterday, and I 've got to say, I'm massively disappointed, it just seems pretty vocal driven, and with very little instrumentalisation.
23.06.2011 - 19:04
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.06.2011 at 18:59

I've been listening to Pink Floyd for years, but one album that I never bought was "The Wall". I finally got it yesterday, and I 've got to say, I'm massively disappointed, it just seems pretty vocal driven, and with very little instrumentalisation.

it's a concept album, written mostly by Waters; it needs more listens, pay attention to the story, it's interesting.

Not my favourite PF album, but definitely a good one.
08.07.2011 - 22:37
bj_waters

David Gilmour's guitar is one of the sounds I grew up with (Steve Howe being the other dominant guitarist in my formative years). My favorite is Wish You Were Here, but I also really like Animals.

Roger Waters' style (Animals, The Wall, Final Cut) is an angry Pink Floyd, lashing out and slightly twisted, whereas David Gilmour's style (WYWH, Momentary Lapse, Division Bell) is a more melancholy Pink Floyd, nostalgic and full of regret but surprisingly peaceful.

I admit I've never really listened to anything before Meddle, but I'm sure I will eventually. I've been a huge Styx fan for most of my life but I didn't listen to the old Wooden Nickel recordings until recently and I was totally blown away at how awesome they were, so hopefully I can go into Pink Floyd's earlier stuff with an open mind like that.
26.07.2011 - 18:56
TheBigRossowski

Written by bj_waters on 08.07.2011 at 22:37

David Gilmour's guitar is one of the sounds I grew up with (Steve Howe being the other dominant guitarist in my formative years). My favorite is Wish You Were Here, but I also really like Animals.

Roger Waters' style (Animals, The Wall, Final Cut) is an angry Pink Floyd, lashing out and slightly twisted, whereas David Gilmour's style (WYWH, Momentary Lapse, Division Bell) is a more melancholy Pink Floyd, nostalgic and full of regret but surprisingly peaceful.

I admit I've never really listened to anything before Meddle, but I'm sure I will eventually. I've been a huge Styx fan for most of my life but I didn't listen to the old Wooden Nickel recordings until recently and I was totally blown away at how awesome they were, so hopefully I can go into Pink Floyd's earlier stuff with an open mind like that.

Bj, man... you just reminded me that there are a few Yes tourdates coming up in Germany. I'm going to have to check those out!

And Saucerful of Secrets is a great album, just different from later Pink Floyd (obviously).
----
31.08.2011 - 06:38
king_matt

I'm listening to The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn right now. Syd Barrett is a legend.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
31.08.2011 - 17:35
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.06.2011 at 18:59

I like it a lot. It has my all time favorite song: Comfortably Numb.
02.12.2011 - 23:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.12.2011 - 11:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

24.01.2012 - 02:54
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Hey, Pink Floyd wasn't featured here before? What hapenned?
24.01.2012 - 09:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 24.01.2012 at 02:54

Hey, Pink Floyd wasn't featured here before? What hapenned?

well, it was not featured, then it WAS featured... then it was deleted again and blacklisted because it is apparently "progressive psychedelic pop/rock:" http://metalstorm.net/bands/band_suggestions.php?suggested_search=pink+floyd
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

24.01.2012 - 16:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2012 at 09:23
then it was deleted again and blacklisted because it is apparently "progressive psychedelic pop/rock:" http://metalstorm.net/bands/band_suggestions.php?suggested_search=pink+floyd

The reason is far more coherent than that. Simply put: While they might have been a huge influence in certain bands... Pink Floyd aren't related to metal AT ALL.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.01.2012 - 16:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2012 at 16:02

Written by K✞ulu on 24.01.2012 at 09:23
then it was deleted again and blacklisted because it is apparently "progressive psychedelic pop/rock:" http://metalstorm.net/bands/band_suggestions.php?suggested_search=pink+floyd

The reason is far more coherent than that. Simply put: While they might have been a huge influence in certain bands... Pink Floyd aren't related to metal AT ALL.

Certainly, they are related to metal as a huge influence to many metal bands, but their sound is indeed softer than, say, Rush, who are featured on Metal Storm under Progressive Rock.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner