Metal Storm logo
Pink Floyd

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:13
One of the most influential rock bands that have ever existed, in my opinion!

Until their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, led by Syd Barrett.
From there on having David Gilmour on the guitar, together with Roger Waters composing the music for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.
Roger Waters composed The Wall and The Final Cut almost completely by himself. And after that he left the band.
Pink Floyd produced 2 more albums after The Final Cut.

They have performed recently on the Live8 festival, and they're touring again. Unfortunately, I'm not going to see them here in Holland. I don't know if Roger Waters is touring with them now or if it's just him and other band members.

I wonder what you all think of this band. What album you like best and what period you prefer (With Syd or with Roger Waters)?

But wether you like this band or not, they truly have had a damn lot of influence on the music of today.
25.07.2014 - 16:31
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 16:19
I listen to everything from Anal Cunt to Blondie

Different styles, PF doesn't exactly build up a swirling atmosphere to justify their song lengths, like post bands can do.

Yeah I wasn't saying you don't like anything but those. I know the styles are different. But okay.
25.07.2014 - 16:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 16:27
swirling

Regardless of genre, I'm having trouble identifying with what you're telling me I should be feeling. The music isn't "swirling around me", I just hear music coming out of my speakers.

And to keep it on topic, I would argue - of course, in completely subjective terms here - that Pink Floyd are the masters of atmosphere. "The Dark Side of the Moon" is probably the most lucid album I've ever heard. And quite frankly, shits on pretty much anything shoegaze has to offer, classic or contemporary.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.07.2014 - 16:35
mz
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2014 at 16:33

Regardless of genre, I'm having trouble identifying with what you're telling me I should be feeling. The music isn't "swirling around me", I just hear music coming out of my speakers.

This gave me hard laugh and I don't really know why.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.07.2014 - 16:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Ilham on 25.07.2014 at 16:31

Yeah I wasn't saying you don't like anything but those. I know the styles are different. But okay.

Yeah, like I said earlier I don't hate Pink floyd, I just don't get the hype. Most of their material is like 7ish from me max. I haven't seen the ABITW movie/video thing yet either, which I wouldn't mind getting a chance to see.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2014 - 16:40
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2014 at 16:35

Yeah, like I said earlier I don't hate Pink floyd, I just don't get the hype. Most of their material is like 7ish from me max. I haven't seen the ABITW movie/video thing yet either, which I wouldn't mind getting a chance to see.

Hey, I was just wondering why the love for shoegaze and not for Pink Floyd, and felt the need to specify I wasn't mocking your tastes or anything. It's really fine by me . And seven is a high grade in my book. But yeah, you should watch that one.
25.07.2014 - 16:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

And to keep it on topic, I would argue - of course, in completely subjective terms here - that Pink Floyd are the masters of atmosphere. "The Dark Side of the Moon" is probably the most lucid album I've ever heard. And quite frankly, shits on pretty much anything shoegaze has to offer, classic or contemporary.

The amount of effects in shoegaze creates such a thick atmosphere and the use of Tremolo and Vibrato makes the wall of noise sound wishy-washy, or swirling. If you look at a wave of sound that's one continuous note, it will be a straight, even line. If you apply tremolo and vibrato to it, the line will turn into an extremely squiggly line, which has the audio ranging from left to right, quiet to loud, which gives the sensation of the note as spinning around. This = swirling.

Hell, one of Slowdives covers is a swirl, and the band Whirr used to be called Swirl.

And yeah, opinions are opinions, and you know I obviously don't share that same one, I haven't listened to Pink Floyd in a while though, so maybe I should re-listen.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2014 - 17:43
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

Agree with you to an infinite degree. Pink Floyd are not only one of the most significant bands in the history of modern music, they are also the unmatched masters at everything they do. While Ummagumma was an experimental album leaning towards the ambient music of that time, they still managed to make emotional music capable of making my dad become a little pansy girl like Wish You Were Here. God I fucking love Pink Floyd. Best band ever
25.07.2014 - 18:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I just wanna say that Animals will always be my favorite Pink Floyd album ever... It's extremely influential to me (specially the almighty DOGS). It was the first album I listened by them, got it from my ex-step-brother as a present.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.07.2014 - 18:56
Mattybu
I enjoy Pink Floyd at times and I have a few of their albums but I find it somewhat hard to understand why it is everyone loves them so much. Especially Dark Side of the Moon, that album is pretty damn mediocre aside from 1 or 2 songs.
25.07.2014 - 19:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Matty do you wanna fight me or something.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.07.2014 - 22:19
Mattybu
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2014 at 19:01

Matty do you wanna fight me or something.

fine, if you wanna get wrecked by these ninja skills then go ahead and step to me.
25.07.2014 - 22:50
no one
Account deleted
Matty you better give a really good explanation of why you don't like pink floyd and then explain how other music you like is better or your banned
25.07.2014 - 23:47
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok wow, I love how everyone gets so MAD when people dislike Pink Floyd... that's crazy, let people like whatever they want you pansies.

But yeah Matty, Dark Side Of The Moon is a Masterpiece, it's nowhere near Mediocre, you can dislike it, sure, saying it's Mediocre though, no... every single track on it is amazing.
That's my opinion about your opinion.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.07.2014 - 23:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I highly doubt any of us are actually mad. I used to dislike Pink Floyd and completely understand people who feel the same way, I just like to joke around with some of the guys I know on here like Matty and Tanner.
----
26.07.2014 - 06:16
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 25.07.2014 at 22:50

Matty you better give a really good explanation of why you don't like pink floyd and then explain how other music you like is better or your banned

Haha, well man Snoop Dogg is better than Pink Floyd cause he has some phat funkadelic beats in his songs that you just won't get in a Pink Floyd song. Funny thing is I do actually like Pink Floyd, just find them to be over-praised in general and find Dark Side to be mostly not very spectacular.

Written by Guib on 25.07.2014 at 23:47

But yeah Matty, Dark Side Of The Moon is a Masterpiece, it's nowhere near Mediocre, you can dislike it, sure, saying it's Mediocre though, no... every single track on it is amazing.
That's my opinion about your opinion.

It is mediocre, my opinion on your opinion of my opinion is that your opinion of my opinion sucks. I don't think Dark Side is bad just compared to like Piper at the Gates of Dawn or something just isn't as interesting or special sounding.
26.07.2014 - 14:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I have to fully agree with Matty on Dark Side Of The Moon. Never understand the praise it got and the immense success of the album either.

I find it telling that the clocks and rolling money sound effects I regard as the best parts of the album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.07.2014 - 15:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Dark Side of the Moon is a snorefest. I've tried getting into it dozens of times and failed each time. It's stopped me looking into them further. Maybe I should check out other records instead.
26.07.2014 - 15:36
mz
DSofM is great, but I prefer WYWH and animals.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
26.07.2014 - 15:54
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, metalheads saying they didn't like Dark Side Of The Moon. Such an atypical scene.
Your average metalhead would be like this just by hearing its name. I guess you see those only here in MS...

Btw I too dislike Pink Floyd. And I agree with Box. Shoegaze over prog rock every day.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.07.2014 - 16:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.07.2014 at 15:33

Dark Side of the Moon is a snorefest. I've tried getting into it dozens of times and failed each time. It's stopped me looking into them further. Maybe I should check out other records instead.

I really like it but at the same time I think that Wish You Were Here, Meedle, A Saucerful Of Secrets, The Wall and Animals are waaaaay better. I think you should check out more.

Knowing you I think I'd recommend you A Saucerful Of Secrets with the creepy sounding keys throughout msot of the album. Specially tracks such as "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" and the title track.
Meedle and Animals (this one being my personal favorite forever and ever) might also be up your alley. You should check out the songs "Echoes" and "Dogs".
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.07.2014 - 16:30
Ilham
Giant robot
For me it's Animals and Wish You Were Here. I have a Dark Side Of The Moon t-shirt because hipster.
26.07.2014 - 17:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's a disappointing day to be a Metal Stormer. If I could only listen to three albums for the rest of my life for whatever reason, I'd be perfectly fine with The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals. I don't mind The Wall but the interludes kill the momentum. Their early stuff never resonated with me either, or anything after The Wall, but at some point I'm going to give those albums another chance.
----
26.07.2014 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.07.2014 at 16:04

Meedle...

Is that a re-recorded version of Meddle?

Btw I do like Pink Floyd a lot, it's just that Dark Side Of The Moon is so extremely underwhelming.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.07.2014 - 18:51
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I love everything Pink Floyd have done excluding The Division Bell
26.07.2014 - 19:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.07.2014 at 17:49

Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.07.2014 at 16:04

Meedle...

Is that a re-recorded version of Meddle?

The funny thing is that I was actually thinking really hard on how to spell it. I didn't want to check because I felt that I must know by myself....
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.07.2014 - 19:07
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.07.2014 at 19:05

The funny thing is that I was actually thinking really hard on how to spell it. I didn't want to check because I felt that I must know by myself....

It sounds like you saying it with your accent .
26.07.2014 - 20:42
Mattybu
Wish You Were Here was my go-to sleepy times album for quite a while. Since then I have gotten much more of a selection pool and I hardly listen to it much anymore, going to sleep or otherwise.
09.08.2014 - 06:43
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Karlabos on 26.07.2014 at 15:54

Wow, metalheads saying they didn't like Dark Side Of The Moon. Such an atypical scene.
Your average metalhead would be like this just by hearing its name. I guess you see those only here in MS...

Btw I too dislike Pink Floyd. And I agree with Box. Shoegaze over prog rock every day.

Well, don't get me wrong, I don't like prog rock that much. It's just Pink Floyd that I praise and love like my own child. Lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.11.2014 - 13:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I thought new video will be music for bunch of old boring people (as Pear Jam today) but music and song all was OK, I think it can be good album

watch a video...those children lives in middle of desert, they have no internet and they still find a away to play and be happy, think 3 times before you say something when your mobile battery is dead ...sad story about Aral n see.... soon it will be place whit desert sands ;(
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.11.2014 - 22:27
raveneffect
The Endless River is an amazing piece of music