Metal Storm logo
Drums

15.07.2006 - 00:33
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Talk about everything related to drums. Equipment, best drummers in the world, how long have you played, who are your main influences, and so on.
15.07.2006 - 07:18
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Well- I'm an experienced air drummer. lol.

I wish I was a drummer so bad sometimes...I just don't have the time, money, or space to do it...not to mention it would drive my parents batshit. But in all seriousness, I do tend to indentify more with the drums in music than anything else. I think mainly because I have a knowledge of drums and am more physically and technically inclined, as opposed to being academically inclined [music theory...etc].

As for me, I'm a big fan of Danny Carey, Anders Jivarp, Jordan Mancino, Shannon Larkin, and Daniel Erlandson.
15.07.2006 - 16:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
speed and creativity=everything?
15.07.2006 - 17:47
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 15.07.2006 at 16:50

speed and creativity=everything?

for me, no. but creativity is a big part.
16.07.2006 - 05:40
Alfo
Account deleted
creativity is f**king important when you're a drummer I think and I guess speed is too when you play metal. Well I like speed so it is for me but it might not be for someone else. It all depends of what you play
16.07.2006 - 16:22
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Here's some of my fav. drummers:
Juhana Karlsson (Amoral), Dave Lombardo, Kai Hahto (Wintersun), Heikki Malmberg (Diablo), Lars Ulrich, Mike Portnoy, and all the good jazz-drummers I've ever heard.
16.07.2006 - 16:50
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I started rehearse drums 6 months ago I've played with large number of different kind of drummers over the years and now I know how difficult instrument it is
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
16.07.2006 - 18:50
Remus

Well my favourite drummers are Daniel Erlandson, John Dolmayan and Jaska from COB!

Sorry to post this twice but it seems no one read my post in the other topic so i'll try my luck here:

My question:
does the way your pedal is set-up affect your speed? I have an Iron Cobra twin pedal and i tightened the springs as much as possible to get better rebound and so greater speed. But since it's a double pedal do you lose power through the rod which connects the left pedal to the left beater? And if this is so is it advised to tighten the left spring more than the right one in order to balance things out? Or should both left and right springs be tightened the same way?

if there's any trouble wit the double postin' i'll remove this
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
16.07.2006 - 20:04
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 16.07.2006 at 18:50

My question:
does the way your pedal is set-up affect your speed? I have an Iron Cobra twin pedal and i tightened the springs as much as possible to get better rebound and so greater speed. But since it's a double pedal do you lose power through the rod which connects the left pedal to the left beater? And if this is so is it advised to tighten the left spring more than the right one in order to balance things out? Or should both left and right springs be tightened the same way?

Iron Cobra is the favourite pedal to many because one can adjust it a lot accordingly his needs. I'm not an expert on double pedal but I can the way the pedal is adjusted affects your playing. Are you playing heel-toe or the regualr way?

When the pedal is too loose it'll be hard to hit it fast two times in row because it won't rebound back to your foot.
17.07.2006 - 14:58
Sunioj

Inferno (behemoth), Pete Sandoval, Dave Lombardo, George Kollias, Tim Yeung etc.

In my workplace, (the rental hall and studio) my boss bought a Pearl Masters Custom Via auction in Finland (it used to belong to Cradle of Filth), it is the most beautiful drumset Ive ever used.

My former schoolband would usually play with a Mapex drum kit and it was so shit that there were no pegs on some of the highhats that if you werent carefull would fall off, not to mention the school never bought sticks so we had to make mcgyver style drumsticks from pipe cleaners (or khoter in hebrew)
18.07.2006 - 13:50
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.07.2006 at 20:04

My question:

Iron Cobra is the favourite pedal to many because one can adjust it a lot accordingly his needs. I'm not an expert on double pedal but I can the way the pedal is adjusted affects your playing. Are you playing heel-toe or the regualr way?

When the pedal is too loose it'll be hard to hit it fast two times in row because it won't rebound back to your foot.

Guitar is my main instrument, but I've been practicing drums a lot these last few months, and I always have the left and right spring tension equal. I guess the pedals are designed so you don't lose any power through the rod that connects the left pedal. Sometimes I use me left foot on it's own to improve strength etc. cos it's naturally much weaker and less coordinated than the right. I know this sounds obvious, but two of my friends are drummers and they've never even thought about it...
18.07.2006 - 13:55
Markku
Account deleted
I practice my left foot alot, and I can tell you it pays off. Another thing to think about when you are taking your first steps in drumming is to consider becominf ambidextereous. I spent a few weeks learning (i had been drumming only 5-6 months before that) to "lead" with my left hand, I'm really happy with the results now.
19.07.2006 - 12:06
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
I'm not sure about whether you need to tighten the left spring more than the right, but I also use an Iron Cobra double pedal and have never needed to, though the left pedal isnt as springy as the right pedal.. I've played around with the springs and other parts of the hardware, but I think there must be more friction on the left pedal because of the connecting rod.
I use a Tama swingstar kit, but I'm always changing my set up, whether it be the positions of toms and cymbals or using different things entirely. I think this is important in drumming, because everyone needs to work out what feels comfortable and what they like the sound of.
Working on your left hand and foot is vital for speed, in the process you will become more and more ambidextrous, which will allow you to do just about anything with either hand or foot. I find working through basic beats and using your left foot instead of your right foot is a great way to strengthen it, then when you feel comfortable increase your speed and add in more beats. In this way, your left foot will be able to find any beat at almost any speed, which is important for off beats and blistering double kick speed.
21.07.2006 - 01:44
DLMokoma
Account deleted

My question:

For my opinion Iron Cobra is one the best pedals you can find, but I haven't noticed so much differences in my speed. I myself have Millenium (I'm not sure if they have the same name in other countries than Finalnd) It's got to be one the most crapiest marks, but I'm still able to play somehow pretty fast. Yet I have some problems with the left pedal... I have spent many hours sometimes to make it as good as possible, and comparing the balances and everything.. Also I think that it depends A LITTLE about are you right or left foot.

Ahhhh, fuck. Sorry dude if this comment doesn't response to your question at all, but I'm pretty tired now, and way too tired to edit it anyway... Well, at least I put something shit up
24.07.2006 - 05:52
Asat0r

I've played for 7 years, and absolutely love playing. I'm pretty good with my hands, but my feet like to fuck me over. Any tips on how to increase speed and technique with the feet, other than good ole practice?
24.07.2006 - 12:17
Achor
Account deleted
i've been playing for about 4 years now i think... i really like the drums, coz i feel so important in the band... it all depends on me...:P maybe thats not a good thing hehe...
well anyways, i dont think that speed shows whether ur good or not in playing, coz drumming is so much more than speed and power. i play in a death metal band, and my bandmates want me to play faster, but i tell them that i think it sounds nicer the way i play. im influenced by classic rock, for example guns'n'roses, scorpions etc. i think that mixing that type of drumming with the fast and hard guitar sound is great.
24.07.2006 - 12:32
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Asat0r on 24.07.2006 at 05:52

I've played for 7 years, and absolutely love playing. I'm pretty good with my hands, but my feet like to fuck me over. Any tips on how to increase speed and technique with the feet, other than good ole practice?

Have you tried paradiddles? I've heard that helps to increase speed.
24.07.2006 - 16:29
Asat0r

Written by Guest on 24.07.2006 at 12:32

Written by Asat0r on 24.07.2006 at 05:52

Have you tried paradiddles? I've heard that helps to increase speed.

I have tried a little, but not much. I'll give it a try though, thanks.
26.07.2006 - 22:11
Christos

There is no substitute for practice - no "magic cure" - but I'm sure you know that!

For double kick playing, control is THE most important area. Endurance is the next. Power is also useful, but can be circumnavigated through usage of triggers. Speed will come with time - but speed is useless without control and accurate beat placement and endurance.

Keeping this in mind, I suggest playing constant 16th notes with each foot individually for one FULL minute (longer than you think - works on endurance and speed) at a speed that you can still maintain absolute control. Use a metronome. Not using a metronome means that you are practicing playing out of time, and getting better at it. If any tension develops, slow down to a tempo where it doesn't. Play heel down: at very fast speeds you will be relying on the muscles developed through playing heel down so it's a good idea to develop control at very slow speeds. You will notice that your heel up playing improves as a result of this.

After the warm up, try playing various rudiments with your feet. Start simple - single stroke rolls, single stroke seven, paradiddle - but remember to play to a click and slow down if there is any tension. CONTROL IS THE GOAL. You will be able to play faster and more accurately sooner if you start slow than if you attempt to play fast straight away.

It takes time, there's no getting round that. Your left foot will probably punish you, but it's worth it.

Also, try getting a book of syncopated sticking patterns and applying that to the feet.

Finally, play along with songs.

Hope this helps a little.
----
ta bi
26.07.2006 - 22:22
Christos

My question:

In a word: yes. Everybody has their own personal preferences when it comes to pedal tension, but in my experience most drummers with not much experience have their springs way too tight. A tight spring will mean that you're putting way too much effort into each stroke and means that you lose a lot of control. A neat little trick to determine a good starting tension is this:

1. Put your foot flat on the pedal, heel down.
2. Adjust the beater height and angle for the bass drum.
3. Adjust the spring tension so that the beater is about 45 degrees when your foot is flat on the footboard.
4. Repeat with second pedal.

Eventually you will find your own "perfect" tension: this may well be as tight as the spring goes. Personally, I have mine almost as LOOSE as the spring will go.

Specific to your question: I would tension both pedals the same, using the method I described above. Speed comes through control and relaxation: a tight spring encourages tension!

Good luck!
----
ta bi
27.07.2006 - 10:11
duyhung
Account deleted
@christos : I've learned to play double pedals for 2 months but it still sounds so bad, so i'll try your method
28.07.2006 - 00:40
Remus

Thanks for the advice Christos, i'll take your comments into consideration!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
24.10.2006 - 02:21
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Check this out , something I found , I think that this dude is pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENlQsXSokM
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
24.10.2006 - 19:47
Too many fail.

Are those gummy practise pads any use for learning blasts? Im not a drummer but i might buy a pad to practise blasts and improve my rhythm reading. Any good pad models?
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
25.10.2006 - 04:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Remo is a good practice pad model...I have one of those...every drummer needs to have a good practice pad to carry around with them...
25.10.2006 - 18:09
Bengans
Account deleted
If i had to choose again what instrument to play i would have taken drums... It's really fun! Im gonna try double pedals some time and see how its like.
28.10.2006 - 08:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I just started playing drums a few weeks ago, and id have to say I try to sound like Nefastus (belphegor) but my toms sound like f*cking george of the jungle with a very holo sound, i was wondering if there was anything i could do to get a more solid sound or am i just gonna have to suck it up until i invest in a better drumkit?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.10.2006 - 17:26
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 28.10.2006 at 08:28

I just started playing drums a few weeks ago, and id have to say I try to sound like Nefastus (belphegor) but my toms sound like f*cking george of the jungle with a very holo sound, i was wondering if there was anything i could do to get a more solid sound or am i just gonna have to suck it up until i invest in a better drumkit?

It's in the tuning, I'm sure you can improve the sound by proper tuning. Do you have bottom heads also?
28.10.2006 - 23:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 28.10.2006 at 17:26

It's in the tuning, I'm sure you can improve the sound by proper tuning. Do you have bottom heads also?

yup.ive used duct tape to deaden the sound but it doesnt work all that well.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.11.2006 - 13:15
Remus

i was wondering if there was anything i could do to get a more solid sound or am i just gonna have to suck it up until i invest in a better drumkit?

Yeh, if dey sound like Goerge o da Jungle then my friend you have really shitty drums. That makes two of us. But what now? Well, try buying, well i dunno what they're called but they are hollow plastic circles (kind of like angel halos) which you place on the toms to make them vibrate less. The duktape method could work but you have to stick some tissue or something to make them vibrate less. Tightening them a lot helps too.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!