02. Painful Mind Contradiction
03. Embraced By The Beauty Of Cold
04. The Echoes Of Thought
05. My Grief, My Remembrance
06. The Cold Grip Of Terror
07. Illusions Was True Beauty
08. Contemplations Along The Way
09. Reflections Upon The Distress And Agony Of Faith

It's probably me that's going nuts here, but I have to admit, that for the first time in my entire life, I have found a good black metal band. Never ever have I been close to say that a Black Metal band was good, but now I'll say it, Crimson Moonlight is good.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it? "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!"
Enough about that, let's start the real review of this excellent piece of brutal metal.
Swedish Crimson Moonlight was formed back in 1997, and has released one EP and one full-length album as a signed act, "Veil of Remembrance" is their second one, and it has, apparently, happen stuff since their last album.

I've read that their debut album was a very symphonic story, but that this new album was much more brutal and none-symphonic.
If the first were symphonic I wouldn't know, since I never heard it, but I can tell you that the second assertion is correct. There are no, whatsoever, symphonic touches in this album.

But there are still one major difference between this album and usual raw Black Metal, and that's the guitars. When usual Black is less melodic and just repeating riffing, this band uses a guitar play that I would guess is more used in Death Metal.
So the sound in general is Black Metal with blastbeats and growls mixed with Death guitar play.
Maybe not a very unique mix, but it works fine for Crimson Moonlight.

When you insert the disc in your player and pushes play, you'll be "welcomed" by the song "Intimations of Everlasting Constancy", that's easily the best song this album has to offer. With great melodies this song is brutal but yet melodic in the same time, a perfect song when you want something raw but that's in the same time music.
The following "Painful Mind Contradiction" is less melodic and with that I think the album is dropping from the first.
And this is how this album goes on, more melodic songs are mixed with less melodic ones, so I would say that half the album is good and the other half is listenable, but when there aren't much melodies created by those guitars, I don't have the same interest.

But I think both fans of melodic and unmelodic Black Metal can take this album to their hears, and even peoples that's not into Black can like it, mostly because of all the melodies the guitar play is creating.
Great album, that's the only thing I want to have said before ending, Great album!

Check Out: "Intimations of Everlasting Constancy" if you want to hear a good melodic Black Metal song, otherwise it's just to pick one.

Written by Malcolm | 22.01.2005

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 39 users
22.05.2009 - 22:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Quote:
It's probably me that's going nuts here, but I have to admit, that for the first time in my entire life, I have found a good black metal band. Never ever have I been close to say that a Black Metal band was good, but now I'll say it, Crimson Moonlight is good.

Interesting that the Black Metal band that you like just happens to be membered with Christians.
----
(space for rent)

Hits total: 4437 | This month: 6