6 - Goat On Fire
    7 - Wolves From The Fog
    8 - Hymn To Lucifer

[Supporting Cradle Of Filth]
    9 - Intro
    10 - Tenebrarum Oratorium Part 1
    11 - Goat On Fire
    12 - Vampiria

02. Part 5: Strange Are The Ways Of The Wolfhearted Tour (1995-1996)
[Supporting Napalm Death]
    1 - Erotic Alchemy
    2 - Ataegina
    3 - Trebaruna

03. PART 6: Perverse Almost Religious Tour (1996-1997)
[Krakow 1996]
    1 - A Poisoned Gift
    2 - ... Of Dream And Drama
    3 - An Erotic Alchemy
    4 - Love Crimes

[Dortmund 1996]
    5 - Intro
    6 - Wolfshade (A Werewolf Masquerade)
    7 - Love Crimes
    8 - Vampiria
    9 - ... Of Dream And Drama
    10 - An Erotic Alchemy
    11 - For A Taste Of Eternity
    12 - Alma Mater

04. PART 7: It's A Sin Tour (1997-1999)
[Coliseu 1996]
    1 - EuroticA
    2 - Magdalene
    3 - Vampirira

[Ermal 1999]
    4 - Let The Children Cum To Me...
    5 - Dekadance
    6 - EuroticA

05. PART 8: The Butterfly Effect Tour (2000-2001)
[Coliseu 2000]
    1 - I Am The Eternal Spectator
    2 - Can't Bee
    3 - Lustmord

06. PART 9: Darkness And Hope Tour (2001-2003)
[Release Party For "Farkness And Hope"]
    1 - How We Became Fire
    2 - Ghostsong

[Ermal 2002]
    3 - Angelizer
    4 - Mephisto
    5 - Firewalking

07. PART 10: Spreading The Eclipse Tour (2003-2005)
[With Full Force 10th Anniversary]
    1 - In And Above Men
    2 - From Lowering Skies
    3 - Opium
    4 - A Walk On The Darkside
    5 - Nocturna
    6 - Southern Deathstyle

[Istanbul 2004]
    7 - Alma Mater / Vampiria

[Athens 2004]
    8 - The Antidote

[Hard Club 2004]
    9 - I Will See You In My Dreams
    10 - Tenebrarum Oratorium Part 1

[Tejo 2005]
    11 - Awake
    12 - For A Taste Of Eternity

I like pizazz. I like bonuses. I like my audio and video packages special. I like them limited if possible. I like them chic, to have inner substance and outward appearance. I like to have something physical for the money I spend on it. Third of a price more than the normal edition is what I think is sensible. I don't like them to be über-special and über-limited, an overpriced rip-off like the Dream Theater's collectors edition of "Black Clouds & Silver Linings." $130 is a rip-off no matter what you say. However, I think that your average DVD release feels like a rip-off as well. I mean, a really cheap plastic case and a disc... Not even a pathetic looking booklet included. That feels like a two buck movie you can buy at a discount store.

For meeting all the requirements mentioned above I like Moonspell's "Lusitanian Metal" special package. It's an elegant big book edition, 2 DVD-s and 1 CD, a nice annotated booklet with foreword, descriptions and photos. It feels like I really have something special in my hands, a recorded gig and a whole history of Moonspell through the eyes of the camera. Definitely, feels like I got something special.

However... Most important is that I like my audio balanced and excellent, and my video sharp and visually impressive. And here is the fish-bone that I have in my throat. There's something about the main course of this release that's bugging me. It's mostly the little things that you don't pay attention to but that keep itching and itching at the back of your consciousness until you notice them. Firstly, I'm annoyed by the little borders around the video frame that keep changing in size as the view changes from one camera to another, as if it was all poorly cut. Then there's the sound that, although being balanced still sounds somewhat wrong for Moonspell. Empty would be a good word to describe it – it sounds like you're alone in an aircraft hangar and not at a packed gig with a couple of thousand people.

Finally, I'm most annoyed that there are moments where audio and video seem to be out of sync. I use "seem to be" here because it's so subtle that you can't put your finger on it. When audio and video are in perfect marriage it all comes alive. You see it, you hear and you feel it. When it's this little bit out of sync you find that audio and video are divorced and lead separate lives on the opposing sides of the town. It feels detached, hard to follow and you can't get into the experience. It spoils the fun.

As I said before, I like bonuses. And "Lusitanian Metal" offers a whole 4 hours of bonuses – a visual history of the band's performances over the years. A bit from each era. Good, right? Well, yes and no. Admittedly, it's excellent to see and follow all that. However, the songs often repeat and the quality of some of the recordings is pretty appalling. "Some" is an understatement... "Appalling" is an understatement as well... It's often recorded with hand-held cameras and awful sound. Cell-phone recordings on YouTube today equal this quality. Although I understand the historical value, it still hurts to see it in this way. Now, to counter it, there are worthwhile moments captured. As the band says, the atmosphere and glimpse of the experience is what counts there. Plus, there are a few of the exceptionally good recordings as well. The best being "With Full Force 10th Anniversary" recording.

Actually, that "With Full Force 10th Anniversary" recording should have been the standard for the main gig of the DVD. Or, that should have been the main gig of the DVD. Probably the only problem is that it was a short or incomplete set. Anyway, the criticism above is not to say that "Lusitanian Metal" is a bad release. Far from it. It's a pretty decent experience and the main gig is quite enjoyable. It's just that it's that tiny bit unpolished (no pun intended here for Polish people). And bonuses is a gourmet stuff mostly anyway, in this particular case you have to be a Moonspell connoisseur to get the kick out if it. Oh, and they should have definitely released it 4 years earlier. Or at least added some of the recent stuff in the history voyage.

Written on 24.05.2009 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 291 users
25.05.2009 - 02:01
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well still sounds as something that I'll try to get my filthy hands on to give you my opinion. I'll try to notice this unpolished things you said here, thanks!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
25.05.2009 - 02:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
mmm there is nothing limited about this release.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2009 - 03:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I totally agree with the audio and video being out of sync feeling. I have an inkling that the audio is form different gigs than the video. And at times it IS out of sync, not by much (1 or 2 frames at most) but still out of sync.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2009 - 09:49
Ivor
Staff
Marcel, fixed that limited thing. Got carried away a bit. And sound being out of sync by 1-2 frames is definitely enough to give you that bad feeling. I'm glad that I ain't the only one to notice this.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
25.05.2009 - 11:51
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
They had a lot of problems to release this DVD. It took several years, I don't know exactly what the problem was but it had something to do with the record company. Anyway, I also thought it would be better to include stuff from their latest albums as well, the history would be complete and the video and sound quality would be much better.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.05.2009 - 13:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 25.05.2009 at 11:51

They had a lot of problems to release this DVD. It took several years, I don't know exactly what the problem was but it had something to do with the record company. Anyway, I also thought it would be better to include stuff from their latest albums as well, the history would be complete and the video and sound quality would be much better.

The record comany couldn't include that stuff because the rights to those songs and videos are with a different record company.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2009 - 13:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ivor on 25.05.2009 at 09:49

Marcel, fixed that limited thing. Got carried away a bit. And sound being out of sync by 1-2 frames is definitely enough to give you that bad feeling. I'm glad that I ain't the only one to notice this.

I.

Me noticing that I would be due to the influence of work I think. And, like you say, just 1-2 frames out of sync is enough to spoil it all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2009 - 18:05
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.05.2009 at 13:41

Written by Ivor on 25.05.2009 at 09:49

I.

Me noticing that I would be due to the influence of work I think. And, like you say, just 1-2 frames out of sync is enough to spoil it all.

Removes the point of buying the said release. Might as well get bootlegs..
25.05.2009 - 23:08
Darkside

Where's Luna? and scorpion F?
----
Seek Salvation / Find Damnation
26.05.2009 - 04:23
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Totally agree with you Ivor. All well said.

The whole average video-montage of the main show and the abysmal quality of the rest saddened me so much that I lost interest in writing a review about the first DVD of one of my favorite bands.
26.05.2009 - 15:15
Ivor
Staff
Written by Dream Taster on 26.05.2009 at 04:23

Totally agree with you Ivor. All well said.

The whole average video-montage of the main show and the abysmal quality of the rest saddened me so much that I lost interest in writing a review about the first DVD of one of my favorite bands.

That's exactly what ticked me into writing in the first place. I was expecting more from it. Never mind the quality of the bonuses but the main show should have definitely been better. We can hope they'll release a better one sometime soon.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
26.05.2009 - 16:59
HyperDrifter

Written by Darkside on 25.05.2009 at 23:08

Where's Luna? and scorpion F?

Like other people have said, these songs are from albums on a different record label, and also, all the gigs and videos in this DVD are from previous eras before the time of Memorial and Night Eternal. Orignally, it was just going to be the main gig, but there were issues so they delayed it and added more material to it to make up for it.

Hits total: 8250 | This month: 6