03. Assault On The Shore
04. Master Of The Waves
05. A Soldier's Letter
06. Godsent
07. At The Gates Of Morken
08. Rise Of The Giants
09. Score To A New Beginning
10. End Credits

From the opening chords you know this is a Fairyland album. Funny, though, I didn't necessarily consider this a band with a signature sound until I put in Score to a New Beginning and realized there could be no mistake. Phillipe Giordana, the composer and keyboardist behind Fairyland, has continued to progress and refine his music while maintaining the warm sound of the symphonic power metal boom from the early part of this decade. This album is clearly his most sophisticated work yet.

The idea of Fairyland has had several incarnations; presently the band is Phillipe Giordana and different guest musicians for each album. Mr. Giordana has amassed quite an army with this one: the high skill level of the musicians is noticeable right away, and nothing is lost due to the impeccable production and mixing. (Too often in this genre the mix can deal a lethal blow to otherwise fine music - not here.) Each song takes you further and further into the mind-blowing energy of this music and each song is better than the one before.

Keyboards and "symphonic elements" dominate the landscape, which is also peppered with exceptional guest guitar solos. Variety comes as it's needed but the most important thing here is that each song flows seamlessly into the other. There is no obligatory ballad, or obligatory anything. Acoustic passages, spacey sounds, trumpets, and light female vocals are dropped in sparingly for no other reason than to support the particular need of the musical idea. The energy level just continues to build and doesn't let up for a second.

It's of course difficult to be completely groundbreaking when playing symphonic power metal these days but the word "solid" keeps coming to mind. It's as solid an album as I've heard in years.

Written on 28.05.2009 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 296 users
28.05.2009 - 10:28
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Totally agree with your review (=
----
loves 小巫
28.05.2009 - 12:25
Enissa

Looks like a nice album, Im gonna check it out
28.05.2009 - 16:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me this album is a step down compared to The Fall Of An Empire...at least for the first listening
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.05.2009 - 16:12
Lord_Regnier

A few people whom I usually trust their opinion as metal critics told me it's the best Fairyland album to date. Even a guy who didn't like Fairyland's albums until now says he enjoys this one.

By the way, Philippe Giordana is a very nice guy, intelligent and down to earth. I don't listen to Fairyland because it's not my cuo of tea but I have lots of respect for the man. An artist who takes the time to talk with people on forums in a normal and friendly tone, as if he was simply an 'unknown' poster like any other, earns my respect.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.05.2009 - 19:06
Shadowcross
The Summoner
'Solid' is definitely what I think about this album. I think the shorter length of this album works in its favour.
Although Osyrhia will always be the one to beat

Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.05.2009 at 16:12

A few people whom I usually trust their opinion as metal critics told me it's the best Fairyland album to date. Even a guy who didn't like Fairyland's albums until now says he enjoys this one.

Why you all over power threads about this music you don't like or listen to, recalling hearsay from your friends?
Just seems a bit redundant when you're commenting reviews that are written by people who like or even will listen to the album, regardless if you are stalking the musicians or not
28.05.2009 - 19:34
Lord_Regnier

Written by Shadowcross on 28.05.2009 at 19:06

Why you all over power threads about this music you don't like or listen to, recalling hearsay from your friends?
Just seems a bit redundant when you're commenting reviews that are written by people who like or even will listen to the album, regardless if you are stalking the musicians or not

First ,you need to know that, while I'm not a PM fan anymore, I've been one for a long time years ago. I know the scene much more than many PM fans new to the genre.

Second, it just happens that I had not much to comment on these days.

Third, I might not like PM nowadays but it's not as if my posts were only bashing after bashing. I often talk more about infos (line-up details and things like that) than personal opinions.
On this thread, I only wished to give a little 'thumb up' to Phil, because he's really a nice guy.
And on the Thy Majestie thread, it was only curiosity, nothing more.
And on the Rhapsody thread, I talked about the band's situation and all, because I'm familiar with it. I was one of the main members of Rhapsody's forum until a few months ago, with over 3700 posts.

If it bothers you, sorry, but it's not my problem.
----
28.05.2009 - 19:55
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.05.2009 at 19:34

Written by Shadowcross on 28.05.2009 at 19:06

First ,you need to know that, while I'm not a PM fan anymore, I've been one for a long time years ago. I know the scene much more than many PM fans new to the genre.

Second, it just happens that I had not much to comment on these days.

Third, I might not like PM nowadays but it's not as if my posts were only bashing after bashing. I often talk more about infos (line-up details and things like that) than personal opinions.
On this thread, I only wished to give a little 'thumb up' to Phil, because he's really a nice guy.
And on the Thy Majestie thread, it was only curiosity, nothing more.
And on the Rhapsody thread, I talked about the band's situation and all, because I'm familiar with it. I was one of the main members of Rhapsody's forum until a few months ago, with over 3700 posts.

If it bothers you, sorry, but it's not my problem.

Yeah you aren't bashing which is definitely a good thing. Unlike the 'doom crew' that stalks for an easy Strato or Sonata thread. I was just curious more or less..
You get a lot of MS'ers who will stick to 'their' genre.. i listen to at least something from most genres so you will find me around too
28.05.2009 - 20:31
Lord_Regnier

Written by Shadowcross on 28.05.2009 at 19:55

Yeah you aren't bashing which is definitely a good thing. Unlike the 'doom crew' that stalks for an easy Strato or Sonata thread. I was just curious more or less..
You get a lot of MS'ers who will stick to 'their' genre.. i listen to at least something from most genres so you will find me around too

I think you understand me better now and see why I post on PM threads. Mostly, I check them to keep my knowledge updated as much as I can. I was afraid you found me obnoxious.

As for 'sticking to their genre', I might comment on BM, PM, DM, Prog and Thrash because I like/liked all these genres, listen or listened to them in the past, and know about all of them (at different degrees).
You will never see me post on Doom Metal threads because my knowledge on it is extremely poor. I never had the slightest trace of interest in Doom, for a few very specific reasons.
And you will never see me post again on threads about anything we can call 'modern metal'. I gave my opinion on these genres a while ago and it has been a foolish mistake on my part. It would have been better for me to shut up and I apologized for my lack of judgement.
----
29.05.2009 - 01:27
Rating: 10
Scream8tor

Getting back to this album - I think it's great. The production is much better than previous albums.

Nice review!
31.05.2009 - 01:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Alright, after second listening i still think Fall Of An Empire is better (and Of Wars In Osyrhia maybe too), but anyway this is wonderful album as well...shortly - Fairyland maybe even cannot do bad
----

04.06.2009 - 13:49
GT
Coffee!!
I'm still looking forward to listen to this album and this review just increased my interest. A nice read and judging by the words a score of 7-8.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.06.2009 - 15:44
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
This album is fucking great. 8.8 for me.
19.06.2009 - 05:57
Rating: 7
Derwood

I'm not normally a fan of this type of power metal, but this album is really entertaining and features some excellent musicianship.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
26.06.2009 - 15:33
Ratatouille

Yeah, who's that guy BMR Monkey who rated the album 1? Come on, that's disgusting, and impairing the band's overall ratings and classement on the 2009 top 20!
01.07.2009 - 15:21
Runamoinen

Across the Endless Sea part II is a truly epic song you just can't stop queuing over and over again...
23.07.2009 - 23:26
Italics

"Assault on the Shore" and "Score to a New Beginning" are perhaps two of the greatest songs I've ever heard.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
24.07.2009 - 00:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yeah, especialy the part between 06:40 and 07:10 in "Score to a New Beginning" is great music experience...but i like the "End Credits" as well, it is so gentle and nice
----

14.08.2009 - 15:02
lord artan

Very good album
16.08.2009 - 09:34
lord artan

Good album for me
13.12.2009 - 19:40
opeth771

This is a very epic album!
07.02.2010 - 21:36
ChrisWinther

Tjeck it out folks!!! This album is mindblowing from the beginning to the end! A masterpiece, a concept album I think. If you a are fan of Rhapsody and/or Blind Guardian this will crush your balls!
07.02.2010 - 22:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well it didnt "crashed my balls" at all, but it is solid album indeed
----

08.04.2010 - 11:30
Hanjak

I know, I heard many power metal albums, like this...but...Fairyland are for me big surprise.... This album is for me album of the year 2009 - melodic, energic, good voice, so...it´s not boring... So...
11.04.2010 - 02:26
Archetype

Good review, a very solid album indeed.
08.07.2010 - 00:55
opeth771

Assault On The Shore has the most epic chorus ever
05.10.2011 - 17:22
Milena
gloom cookie
So, is this another cheesy band or something worth getting stoked for? As my brother and sister listen to mostly trad metals, I have more and more trouble finding modern but appropriate music for them
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.10.2011 - 17:40
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Milena on 05.10.2011 at 17:22

So, is this another cheesy band or something worth getting stoked for? As my brother and sister listen to mostly trad metals, I have more and more trouble finding modern but appropriate music for them

Yes, this album is most definitely worth getting stoked for It's truly "symphonic" power metal in its highest form. Let me know what you think!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 9973 | This month: 14