Metal Storm logo
Bullet For My Valentine

29.05.2009 - 17:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Well well, one of the most controversial new bands to appear in the past years, tons of people hate them, tons love them. the reason i created this thread in the Rock Forum is because i consider them to be a variant of modern hard/pop rock with melodic hooks coming and going and of course the dreaded metalcore moments(which i myself don't like almost at all, they give the false impression of a generic mallcore band or something). what i do like about them, before i go in-depth, is their softer songs such as Hearts Burst into Fire or Caught in the Eye of the Storm. IMO they should stick to this sound, which they do exceptionally well, they have an insanely catchy sound and some of the hooks are incredible.

i for one love the instrumentation, the fact that BFMV is a very guitar-driven band is very good. the hooks and leads are exceptional with extremely good harmonies, technical solos, cool riffs and wicked clean parts)

but what i don't like about this band is the vocals. Tuck is decent when he sticks to clean singing, but when he goes metalcore-style... he loses it. also the other "-core" vocalists(whoever they are, the other guitarist, the bassist whatever) are also pretty poor.

as a conclusion, to save myself some shit coming my way ( : ) i agree with most metalheads that the metalcore version of BFMV sucks, they try to be heavy but end up sounding like some frustrated 16 year old scenesters. the GOOD BFMV i'm praising here is the ROCK version of BFMV, which draws a bit of influence from 80s metal, modern Metallica-like rock, modern metal in the vein of Slayer's newer albums(i'm sure you purists will jump on me for this, so listen to the intro of BFMV's "Waking the Demon" and then to Slayer's "Spirit in Black"), vocally also pop-punk and god knows what else but still sounds excellent, catchy and dare i say beautiful sometimes. except for the vocals.

Rock BFMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CnRr_nzc8

middle of the road BFMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcurYOS-Io

metalcore BFMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-MY4sedWy0

please do not bash like mindless apes and give metal a bad name. do your integrity a favor and give them an honest chance before you throw the shit grenade.
29.05.2009 - 17:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
Lol you see they're your favourite band?

Well, I never lsitened to them (or maybe I lsitened some songs but I don't remember). I know they have a quite bad reputation, so I'm not interested in listening to them, but at least I won't talk crap about them.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.05.2009 - 17:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Elio on 29.05.2009 at 17:18

Well, I never lsitened to them (or maybe I lsitened some songs but I don't remember). I know they have a quite bad reputation, so I'm not interested in listening to them, but at least I won't talk crap about them.

now there's a good attitude towards them
29.05.2009 - 17:46
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 29.05.2009 at 17:29

Written by Elio on 29.05.2009 at 17:18

now there's a good attitude towards them

Now that was quite a lot of "lsitened" and "them" though. :S
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.08.2009 - 12:11
Lachy
Account deleted
BFMV is the only metalcore (according to this website) band that i listen to! They have a great sound!
03.09.2009 - 22:10
Panterica

BFMV are not so bad, and I like some of their metalcore stuff, their not very original and sound like screaming old ladys live but I like their last album, has some great songs as Scream Aim Fire, Eye of the Storm and Waking the Demon.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
05.09.2009 - 16:58
Ragana
Rawrcat
...or like "Tears Don't Fall" which is my absolute favourite. Aye, they're not so bad at all. :>
They sound like a power metal band sometimes, though (all those guitar solos and so).
05.09.2009 - 21:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ragana on 05.09.2009 at 16:58

...or like "Tears Don't Fall" which is my absolute favourite. Aye, they're not so bad at all. :>
They sound like a power metal band sometimes, though (all those guitar solos and so).

yeah, but then i guess the people shouting "Shit Emos!!!" at Wacken don't like power metal either... oh wait, that was right after a Hammerfall gig. i guess that was a prime example of EPIC FAIL.
06.09.2009 - 10:49
dEAthB3D

Written by Valentin B on 29.05.2009 at 17:02

Well well, one of the most controversial new bands to appear in the past years, tons of people hate them, tons love them. the reason i created this thread in the Rock Forum is because i consider them to be a variant of modern hard/pop rock with melodic hooks coming and going and of course the dreaded metalcore moments(which i myself don't like almost at all, they give the false impression of a generic mallcore band or something). what i do like about them, before i go in-depth, is their softer songs such as Hearts Burst into Fire or Caught in the Eye of the Storm. IMO they should stick to this sound, which they do exceptionally well, they have an insanely catchy sound and some of the hooks are incredible.

i for one love the instrumentation, the fact that BFMV is a very guitar-driven band is very good. the hooks and leads are exceptional with extremely good harmonies, technical solos, cool riffs and wicked clean parts)

but what i don't like about this band is the vocals. Tuck is decent when he sticks to clean singing, but when he goes metalcore-style... he loses it. also the other "-core" vocalists(whoever they are, the other guitarist, the bassist whatever) are also pretty poor.

as a conclusion, to save myself some shit coming my way ( : ) i agree with most metalheads that the metalcore version of BFMV sucks, they try to be heavy but end up sounding like some frustrated 16 year old scenesters. the GOOD BFMV i'm praising here is the ROCK version of BFMV, which draws a bit of influence from 80s metal, modern Metallica-like rock, modern metal in the vein of Slayer's newer albums(i'm sure you purists will jump on me for this, so listen to the intro of BFMV's "Waking the Demon" and then to Slayer's "Spirit in Black"), vocally also pop-punk and god knows what else but still sounds excellent, catchy and dare i say beautiful sometimes. except for the vocals.

Rock BFMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CnRr_nzc8

middle of the road BFMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcurYOS-Io

metalcore BFMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-MY4sedWy0

please do not bash like mindless apes and give metal a bad name. do your integrity a favor and give them an honest chance before you throw the shit grenade.

ahhhh come on man....
the guitar harmonizations, solos are not THAT good
they sound like my li'l sister when she broke up with her boyfriend...
admit it bullet for my valentine is nothing but some shitty but famous weirdos.
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
09.09.2009 - 01:10
Karasawa II

They WERE a decent band the new sound is terrible another band slowly selling out, trying to be more poppy than metal there EP and the Poison were their best by far and but that sound and style is dead and gone for them. Recently saw them at the 09 Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival in Camden, NJ nothing impressive granted you had Behemoth, Slayer, and Cannibal Corpse that just killed it that day for every other band there.
14.02.2010 - 02:14
His Eminence
Account deleted
I'm by no means a huge fan, but their best effort in my opinion is Scream Aim Fire. Most of the songs on it are really good. There might be a few songs on their earlier stuff I like though.
13.03.2010 - 14:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Looking at their media appearances i can see why people disregard this band. they're pretty much emo-rockstars

but imo the music is good enough so that i (and everyone else) should care to look past their appearance. Scream Aim Fire is imo the best album of 2008, far surpassing much more praised albums like Twilight of the Thunder God or Black Ice.
14.03.2010 - 01:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 13.03.2010 at 14:07

Looking at their media appearances i can see why people disregard this band. they're pretty much emo-rockstars

but imo the music is good enough so that i (and everyone else) should care to look past their appearance. Scream Aim Fire is imo the best album of 2008, far surpassing much more praised albums like Twilight of the Thunder God or Black Ice.

...And Overdose Of Death, Booze, Broads & Beelzebub, Quiet Earth, Slania, The Way Of All Flesh, ...Of Frost And War, and Massive Conspiracy Against All Life are all albums that take big dumps all over BFMV. Not saying the they're horrible, but c'mon? Seriously?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.03.2010 - 02:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 14.03.2010 at 01:49

Written by Valentin B on 13.03.2010 at 14:07

...And Overdose Of Death, Booze, Broads & Beelzebub, Quiet Earth, Slania, The Way Of All Flesh, ...Of Frost And War, and Massive Conspiracy Against All Life are all albums that take big dumps all over BFMV. Not saying the they're horrible, but c'mon? Seriously?

well to be totally honest i don't even listen to albums so much. i'm more of a downloader(because i have no money but i don't think this is the right thread to discuss this), and when i find songs that i really like that are from the same album, then i'll give it a listen, and that's exactly what happened with Scream Aim Fire. basically it went like this: i was listening to the title track, thought it was good, then Hearts Burst Into Fire, which i found just as great, and then the dominoes kept tumbling until i realize that SAF is the best album i've heard from 2008, simple.

either that or out of curiosity i listen to the album because i want to see where a certain band is going, like with Priest's or White Wizzard's last offering.
23.03.2010 - 05:04
whatsacow

To me bfmv is just a product, a group of attractive guys, clean cut metal sound, directed at teenagers who want to pretend they like metal music, but secretly are massive fans of simple plan and green day. And their new album is just a metal tribute album. there is nothing original about it.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
26.04.2010 - 00:23
Kanto

While you're driving in Need For Speed, "Hand Of Blood" is really freaking good. In any other place in the world, I'd turn the volume down. I just...don't see the point of those screams.
----
...Dude.
05.05.2010 - 06:14
whatsacow

They just seem too clean polished for metal too me...
i dont hate them, but they do annoy me.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
25.11.2010 - 14:11
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I was surprised by them i gave them a listen, actually they are good, i really like their song forever and always
25.11.2010 - 16:23
JD
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 05.05.2010 at 06:14

i dont hate them, but they do annoy me.

I agree on that.
26.11.2010 - 19:44
Cyroth

I'm starting to lose respect for them after this so mainstream album and nothing groundbreaking for them.They didn't risk nothing and fed the fans what they already heard.
----
18.01.2011 - 10:39
ANGEL REAPER

Bullet for My Valentine?
No thanks I have a life!

Previous statement is self explanatory ....YOUR ARGUMENT NOT ACCEPTED
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.02.2011 - 06:42
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Those boy band clean vocals they use ruin any chance of them being good. Quite a shame, seeing as songs like Scream Aim and Fire actually have decent riffs. But hey, that's what happens when skilled musicians decide that making money is more important than making art.
17.02.2011 - 19:01
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.02.2011 at 06:42

Those boy band clean vocals they use ruin any chance of them being good.

And then there's the fact that they use backing tracks for vocals live. I can understand when a sympho/power metal band uses backtracks for choirs or something...but using them for your regular backing vocals is just lame.
19.02.2011 - 23:27
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
BFMV Rules and There newest album is really good
26.04.2011 - 00:43
ADIresiduos

I like their music, they're style. I've never seen them live but have heard some live cuts in You Tube, and some really dissapointed me: Matt omits and/or fails on some growls and screams on some songs, meaning that he's not too capable of reproducing the songs in their albums the way they're meant to be sung live. I've always been against this kind of crap, I mean, if you make a record and you create your personal sound, then be it, do it in a way that will fit your playing / singing abilities, DON'T over do it, 'cause you'll end up dissapointing the fans.
29.04.2011 - 19:14
Guib
Thrash Talker
They're wack... and absurdly boring and bad end of the story
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
17.06.2011 - 18:24
Metal_4Ever

I think this band is moving alone in Metalcore...
Scream Aim Fire their's best Album...