Metal Storm logo
Latin American Folk Metal

30.05.2009 - 12:55
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I thought in creating this thread mostly to trade information among latin american bands who plays metal with folkloric basis (lyrically or instrumentally), and also to spread some info about great bands who still doesn't have a profile here, or remain extremly underground.

The Peruvian and Mexican scenes are the ones with a larger number of bands, but the best ones in my opinion remain in Chile, Argentina and Colombia. I've tried to separate the bands for country to see what they have to offer.

Mexico

Ahpuch Oztoc - A black metal group. Again with a rich lyrical content of paganism and revolutions. Musically they are just average, but there are much worse BM bands in this genre.

Balam-Akab - Another band that follows the mexican folk/black tradition successifully started with Xibalba. And that is in fact the name of the band's only full-lenght. With a nice production, different from the two previous bands, makes this band much more accessible. One of the best in the folk/black scene. Quality comproved.

Yaotl Mictlan - Already with a profile and a review here on MS, there's not much to say about them. Death/black metal, revolution and pagan lyrics, indigenous instruments. Everything decent but a little repetitive.

Ehecatl - EK - Hacavitz - Mictlan - Muluc Pax - Xibalba - Yaoyotl

All these bands are raw black metal bands. Xibalba is one of the most important bands in this genre, since they are pratically the pioneers. Called my attention EK and Hacavitz for their superior quality, on the other side, Yaoyotl is one of the worst bands i've ever heard in my life, impossible to enjoy, pure trash, recommend it to anyone.

Peru

Ayahuaira - Raw black metal with the folkloric influences soften the sound a little bit. Already split up releasing only two demos.

Kay Pacha - I usually enjoy raw black metal. But this band is horrible. Better stay away from them.

Kranium - Now a great band again. Progressive death metal. Saving peruvian folk metal scene along with Chas'ka and Nahual.

Chas'ka - Nahual

These two bands represents the pinnacle of Peruvian folkloric metal. Both only released one full-lenght, but it is enough to show their quality. Black metal albums, but filled with instrumental songs very pleasant. Sure they deserve more success than they get.

Pagapu - Yana Raymi - Misa Negra

All average black metal bands. But they show some traces of quality, specially Misa Negra.

Chile

Folkheim - The chilenean scene is among the best three in latin american folk. Folkheim is a beautiful piece of music. Their EP Pachakuti is emotionally rich, mixing like no other band the indigenous instruments with the melodic black metal. Melancholic atmosphere, great drum and theme.

Wangelen - With Folkheim, already has a profile here on MS. Both bands are very similar. Wangelem slightly inferior due to the production. But still they deserve to be here.

Uaral - One of the most famous and successful from the genre. Due to the doom metal roots. In the top three of Folkloric oriented metal bands in the world.

Argentina

Diadema Tristis - There is a profile here on MS, and a good review by Undercraft. One of the most beautiful pieces of Instrumental/Doom/Folk ever heard. The songs with lyrics usually presents an Andean reference. Too bad they released only one Full-lenght, and just back to 2005.

Yanaconas - Heavy metal with folk. Average band, the songs end up kinda annoying, but the thematic is perfect, and the album is well produced.

Brazil

Shamely one of poorest folk metal scenes.

Florestas Negras - Black metal band. Folkloric influences only lyrically, as their sound is pure raw black metal with occasional melodic parts. Not a best effort considering the value of a black/folk metal, but it is a pretty decent band.

Toccata Magna - Power metal, very similar to Aquaria and Angra, but with much more indigenous influence. Are from Porto Alegre, so I had the chance to check them out pretty close. One of the best folk metal bands in the continent, recommendations.

Colombia

Guahaihoque - Masterpiece alert!! Amazing band. An extreme folk resembling black metal. The use of the flute is epic, the instrumental songs are a transcendental voyage. ''Elder Scrolls'' and ''Woods Whispering'' masterpieces. Sung in english, but that doesn't make much of a difference, since the sound is perfect.

Ecuador

Aztra - One of the most successful in the genre. Play a heavy metal with lots of indigenous instruments, lyrically usually about insurgency, revolts and denouncing massacres. It would be perfect if the female vocals weren't so annoying, she left in the third full-lenght, but this is the worst album.
Anyway, one of the best latin folk still active.

There are a lot more, I hope that someone here also have some knowlege about this kind of music, I'm always ready to search for some new folk metal bands that contribute to the use of different cultures.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.05.2009 - 13:15
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Isn't Tuatha De Danann from Brazil?
30.05.2009 - 13:47
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Diabolos on 30.05.2009 at 13:15

Isn't Tuatha De Danann from Brazil?

Yup they are. It's just that I didn't consider Celtic folk metal in that list, that's the same reason why I didnt listed Argentinen's Skiltron.

Well, but if there is others american folk metal bands who doesn't play american folkloric metal (i'm sure there is), I don't mind in know them also.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.05.2009 - 14:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know only Argentina, Brazil, Chile folk:

Ok latin Americn fold, soory but mosut bands hear about viking metal, pagan metal, Odin, Valhalla and us eit in LA concetst I dont like it , ok even music is good, but its not like beeing true folk, use indian and own folklore but mny bands still are good from there

Argentina:
Diadema Tristis - bets band who cames from latinamerica, I love it
Giltine's Gintaras - There is folk elements
Skiltron - Argentianian verse about Cruachan
Tengwar
Wulfshon

I have also band Mitternacht its more ambient , minimalistic

hmmm Heulend Horn, black m whit fold touches

Brazil:
Altú Págánach - Black whit fold touches
Austhral
Barbarian Warriors in Search of Wisdom - Brazilain verse about Bathory and Quorthon
Delenda Arcana - If Pagan is folk ....
Folklord
Olam Ein Sof - .... its like being Europeian
Tuatha de Danann - Brzilan Cruachan
Wolfhord - neofolk, lile Ulver accustic, lil Craved in Stone lil Of The Wand And The Moon

Chile:
Bauda - if you only know what Bauda means in latvian
Folkheim - Chilian verse about Folkebach
Nagtegaal
Uaral - There was folk elements to

I did not put Sepultur and Carlos Santana there(yes he has mexican folk elements :p )
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2009 - 16:10
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Bad English on 30.05.2009 at 14:59

I know only Argentina, Brazil, Chile folk:

Ok latin Americn fold, soory but mosut bands hear about viking metal, pagan metal, Odin, Valhalla and us eit in LA concetst I dont like it , ok even music is good, but its not like beeing true folk, use indian and own folklore but mny bands still are good from there

Argentina:
Diadema Tristis - bets band who cames from latinamerica, I love it
Giltine's Gintaras - There is folk elements
Skiltron - Argentianian verse about Cruachan
Tengwar
Wulfshon

I have also band Mitternacht its more ambient , minimalistic

hmmm Heulend Horn, black m whit fold touches

Brazil:
Altú Págánach - Black whit fold touches
Austhral
Barbarian Warriors in Search of Wisdom - Brazilain verse about Bathory and Quorthon
Delenda Arcana - If Pagan is folk ....
Folklord
Olam Ein Sof - .... its like being Europeian
Tuatha de Danann - Brzilan Cruachan
Wolfhord - neofolk, lile Ulver accustic, lil Craved in Stone lil Of The Wand And The Moon

Chile:
Bauda - if you only know what Bauda means in latvian
Folkheim - Chilian verse about Folkebach
Nagtegaal
Uaral - There was folk elements to

I did not put Sepultur and Carlos Santana there(yes he has mexican folk elements :p )

Thanks for the list man, Ill definetly check all this out
----

----
30.05.2009 - 21:31
Fhuesc
Great thread. Most if the mexican scene sucks, sadly cuz it could be a great one.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
30.05.2009 - 21:42
tulkas
el parcero
Wow, i actually didn't know there was folk metal here, much less that there so many bands, even from colombia i guess i'll check them out, it looks pretty interesting. cool thread, Angätuprý!
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
30.05.2009 - 22:10
VPeter
Vajrah
Folk Metal from Colombia and a weird one. Just released there debut this year. I don't really know there lyrics to be honest, only that it is about "Paganism" I liked what I heard on there myspace. A link if anyone is interested: www.myspace.com/vajrah1
05.06.2009 - 12:16
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I got kinda annoyed yesterday because a band from somewhere in South America sent me a friend request and they said they were viking metal or something like that. They had all these pictures of themselves in armor and stuff. The reason I was annoyed is because vikings aren't from South America. If they want to play some kind of folk metal, they should choose something that incorporates their own culture. I wish I could remeber the bands name, but I denied their request so I can't go back and see.
05.06.2009 - 22:23
Fhuesc
Written by Guest on 05.06.2009 at 12:16

I got kinda annoyed yesterday because a band from somewhere in South America sent me a friend request and they said they were viking metal or something like that. They had all these pictures of themselves in armor and stuff. The reason I was annoyed is because vikings aren't from South America. If they want to play some kind of folk metal, they should choose something that incorporates their own culture. I wish I could remeber the bands name, but I denied their request so I can't go back and see.

Agree that viking aren't from south america, but not only there, the in whole America there weren't vikings, but i dont think u would get upset if u saw a USA viking band. If u considered em posers just from been from south America, then u have a narrow mind.

I certainly would like that more bands (latin american or not) played Latin American folk instead of viking style.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
07.06.2009 - 22:56
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Fhuesc on 05.06.2009 at 22:23

Agree that viking aren't from south america, but not only there, the in whole America there weren't vikings, but i dont think u would get upset if u saw a USA viking band. If u considered em posers just from been from south America, then u have a narrow mind.

I certainly would like that more bands (latin american or not) played Latin American folk instead of viking style.

You're wrong, I think "viking" bands from the USA are posers too.
07.06.2009 - 23:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fhuesc on 05.06.2009 at 22:23

I might be wrong but as far as can remember, although vikings aren't from America, they did reach North America. But still I would be annoyed by viking bands from North America just like I find it stupid to have viking bands from The Netherlands, although they did reach our shores. And NO Heideviolk is NOT a viking band since they sing about legnds from their own region (Gelderland) and use any so-called viking musical influences.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2009 - 01:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Marcel - They reached Canada maybe USA Nord East cost , but who knows realy how far they went , but about SA, c mon arnt there any legends, tails, stories about what play, why use viking costums, use Mayans, Atzecs, Inkas, Conqisatdors, some Gauchos' there many many thinks to use in lyrics like some Mayan war song for example, how indians fight whit white man, what ever, also there thet national instrument dunno name, but indians in Andes used it its like whistle , use it, but dont coppy vikings,
Well vikings was in Baltic to they sailed here but why Skyforger dont use viking themes? Vikings wa sin Byzantia , also in Sicily but why Turkish band or Italain dont play viking metal, greek bands use he;llenic mytolgy hellenism, vikings was in Russia, why Rus folk bands use slavic thinks?

Only land who can be viking outside Scandinavia and iceland is germany, remeber scanidans is germans and remeber from where they came, even non of Germans wanst vikings and bands dont play viking metal, and useing german folklore dont counts

well seems so called new world just coppy all from us, even they can use origial ideas

sorry but sometimes i think folk music is much better how folk metal, specely coppy past bands ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.06.2009 - 03:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure

American folk metal bands using european thematics used to bother me a while ago. I could'nt understand how a band from an American country would prefer to play about somewhere else culture.

But after sometime I realize that this wasn't as important as I thoght. Tuatha de Danann and Skiltron represents how great music can be, even being an geographical absurd..

When someone stipulates what kind of folk metal which country can play, musical freedom is dead. Of course it would be better if the American bands played about the diversified cultures of America, instead of just copying some thousands of europeans viking/celtic bands. But after all, if the music is good, it doesn't matter where the band came from.
----

----
25.07.2009 - 00:00
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Uirapuru on 08.06.2009 at 03:03

American folk metal bands using european thematics used to bother me a while ago. I could'nt understand how a band from an American country would prefer to play about somewhere else culture.

But after sometime I realize that this wasn't as important as I thoght. Tuatha de Danann and Skiltron represents how great music can be, even being an geographical absurd..

When someone stipulates what kind of folk metal which country can play, musical freedom is dead. Of course it would be better if the American bands played about the diversified cultures of America, instead of just copying some thousands of europeans viking/celtic bands. But after all, if the music is good, it doesn't matter where the band came from.

Well said.
28.07.2009 - 22:20
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had only wondered why folk metal hadn't developed in south america, considering the strong folk rock tradition coming from this part of the world. I think that the main sin of south america's metal in general is laziness, they attach to foreign formulas and, with some remarkable exceptions that don't belong to this thread, don't dare to experiment, and that it what leads to the - I agree - rather pathetic fact that most south american folk metal bands play actually european folk, and the only exceptions I can think about right now are Uaral (a band I don't personally like) and Ch'aska, a great folk metal band with roots in peruvian chamanism.

Probably the "south american viking metal band" some of you are talking about is Heulend Horn, from Argentina, but you shouldn't feel that surprised considering that the mastermind behind it is Friedrich Curwenius, a man of Danish heritage.
20.08.2009 - 00:07
Iceland_Norway
EPIC & ANCESTRAL FOLK METAL FROM COLOMBIA:

Guahaihoque: http://www.myspace.com/guahaihoquefolk

you can find cds from this band on this link

http://www.myspace.com/xueproductionseurope

----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
12.10.2009 - 05:59
the stranger
Written by Guest on 28.07.2009 at 22:20

I had only wondered why folk metal hadn't developed in south america, considering the strong folk rock tradition coming from this part of the world. I think that the main sin of south america's metal in general is laziness, they attach to foreign formulas and, with some remarkable exceptions that don't belong to this thread, don't dare to experiment, and that it what leads to the - I agree - rather pathetic fact that most south american folk metal bands play actually european folk, and the only exceptions I can think about right now are Uaral (a band I don't personally like) and Ch'aska, a great folk metal band with roots in peruvian chamanism.

Probably the "south american viking metal band" some of you are talking about is Heulend Horn, from Argentina, but you shouldn't feel that surprised considering that the mastermind behind it is Friedrich Curwenius, a man of Danish heritage.

I agree with you completely. You haven't heard Kranium? It's pretty well known and they have andean folk elements too. The guy that started the thread said they are progressive death, it's doom as far as I know.
13.10.2009 - 02:12
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by the stranger on 12.10.2009 at 05:59

I agree with you completely. You haven't heard Kranium? It's pretty well known and they have andean folk elements too. The guy that started the thread said they are progressive death, it's doom as far as I know.

I know Kranium only by name, but had never listened to them, I will check them. I really like Peruvian metal, so I wouldn't be surprised if I find another great band.
13.10.2009 - 04:29
the stranger
Written by Guest on 13.10.2009 at 02:12

I know Kranium only by name, but had never listened to them, I will check them. I really like Peruvian metal, so I wouldn't be surprised if I find another great band.

With Kranium you'll find one. It's a pity they no longer play.
15.10.2009 - 11:17
Uirapuru
Liver Failure

Yeah, you are right, they're more ''doom'' than ''death'' in the full-lenght at least.

By the way, they are releasing another Live album this year... what a fuck!? Why not another full-lenght?
----

----
15.10.2009 - 11:49
FOOCK Nam
Is "Latin American folk" means Native American folk music in Latin American assembled in metal music ? Sorry, I am confused, because I guess what bans you list, they are common folk metal band as like Europeans, only different as in location of continent.
15.10.2009 - 13:21
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by FOOCK Nam on 15.10.2009 at 11:49

Is "Latin American folk" means Native American folk music in Latin American assembled in metal music ? Sorry, I am confused, because I guess what bans you list, they are common folk metal band as like Europeans, only different as in location of continent.

Well... yeah... folk metal like Europeans... and like Asian, and African, and whatever... its about metal, the only difference is the cultural thematic and instrumental, focused on Native American traditions.
----

----
15.10.2009 - 14:55
FOOCK Nam
That is nice. I heard only one Native American metal band which was nominated in some Metalstorm awards previously. But is that no differences between North American native tradition music roots and South American native tradition music roots (latin) ?, you know why Im confused: if "Latin American folk", I though it was like Latin metal or Latin Hispanic tradition metal and Im not sure if Latin Hispanic tradtion metal influence is same as European folk metal like Irish folk or Finnish folk metal (sorry Im not much knowledgable about deep roots of folk in Europe or Hispanic country), so if (I just suggest and guess), what you really mentions as those bands: concretely, Native American metal in Latin half continent.
16.10.2009 - 00:11
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by FOOCK Nam on 15.10.2009 at 14:55

That is nice. I heard only one Native American metal band which was nominated in some Metalstorm awards previously. But is that no differences between North American native tradition music roots and South American native tradition music roots (latin) ?, you know why Im confused: if "Latin American folk", I though it was like Latin metal or Latin Hispanic tradition metal and Im not sure if Latin Hispanic tradtion metal influence is same as European folk metal like Irish folk or Finnish folk metal (sorry Im not much knowledgable about deep roots of folk in Europe or Hispanic country), so if (I just suggest and guess), what you really mentions as those bands: concretely, Native American metal in Latin half continent.

I know, I just put the Latin American folk.

But thats because I'm yet to find some Native American Folk Metal from the Anglo-Saxon brothers. I search some time but find nothing. If anyone knows a band like this, please tell me their name.
----

----
16.10.2009 - 06:21
FOOCK Nam
Written by Uirapuru on 16.10.2009 at 00:11

But thats because I'm yet to find some Native American Folk Metal from the Anglo-Saxon brothers. I search some time but find nothing. If anyone knows a band like this, please tell me their name.

Have you heard of Tomahawk ? They are kind of Native American music influence on their metal.
16.10.2009 - 13:10
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by FOOCK Nam on 16.10.2009 at 06:21

Written by Uirapuru on 16.10.2009 at 00:11

Have you heard of Tomahawk ? They are kind of Native American music influence on their metal.

Nope, never heard of them. Will search for their albuns right now
----

----
10.01.2010 - 03:07
manusounds
It's not to late to say : Great thread! A lot of the bands listed before are new for me.

Well, I can add some more names of the peruvian folk-metal scene :

Yawarhiem : They are more sinfonic-melodic-heavy-metal-oriented, but good. (myspace.com/yawarhiemoficial)
Illapa : They don't use very much native andean instruments, but thematically they are part of the black-folk scene.(myspace.com/illapa_warmetal)

I really recommend you the new studio debut album of Ch'aska: Pururauca (2009). There are some pieces that sound very good.

Other well-known peruvian bands that are not rigorously metal, but kind of folk-rock are : Uchpa, Flor de Loto, Peru Salvaje, La Sarita, El Polen, Del Pueblo y del Barrio, The Revival Condor Legend.

I've just discovered metalstorm.ee ... It's great!.
14.01.2010 - 09:13
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by manusounds on 10.01.2010 at 03:07

It's not to late to say : Great thread! A lot of the bands listed before are new for me.

Well, I can add some more names of the peruvian folk-metal scene :

Yawarhiem : They are more sinfonic-melodic-heavy-metal-oriented, but good. (myspace.com/yawarhiemoficial)
Illapa : They don't use very much native andean instruments, but thematically they are part of the black-folk scene.(myspace.com/illapa_warmetal)

I really recommend you the new studio debut album of Ch'aska: Pururauca (2009). There are some pieces that sound very good.

Other well-known peruvian bands that are not rigorously metal, but kind of folk-rock are : Uchpa, Flor de Loto, Peru Salvaje, La Sarita, El Polen, Del Pueblo y del Barrio, The Revival Condor Legend.

I've just discovered metalstorm.ee ... It's great!.

I check out the two Myspace profiles. Yawarhiem is just excellent, the power/folk a lá Toccata Magna fitted perfectly.. beautiful and epic. Too bad for the propaganda voices all over the tracks, repeating every 10 seconds .

Illapa don't have a Myspace player with some of their songs : / They put their albuns for download on Mediafire links, but the links are dead. They are older than I thought, their first full-lenght goes back to 1995. Too bad I did not heard from them before.

Awesome artwork by the way

Besides the new Cha'ska album, there is a new Florestas Negras album on the stores. Good to know that some great bands are not dead yet.

Ill definetly check out the folk-rock bands listed, thanks for your help man.
----

----
03.08.2011 - 16:52
nehrodwarf
Folk metal, from Brazil I just know Tuatha de Danann...
they make a great song FINGANFORN
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com