Metal Storm logo
Ozzy Osbourne - Takes Legal Action Against Tony Iommi

Posted last night on Ozzy Osbourne's blog.

Below is my official press statement on the official Black Sabbath trademark lawsuit. I am very saddened that I've had to take legal action against Tony. This is something that I've tried to avoid for years. I am not Geezer or Bill's voice. However, till the day I die I will not change my mind on this issue. The Black Sabbath trademark should be equally owned by Geezer, Bill, Tony and I as the true Black Sabbath lineup is Tony, Geezer, Bill and I. We've all been mates since school. I've always said there is an invisible thread that holds us together. Tony, lets get this ridiculous issue sorted and move on with our lives. You're 61, I'm 60. I hope that we've got a good 20 years left in us. But if not, God Forbid something happens to you. What's going to happen to the Black Sabbath trademark? Who's going to oversee it? Don't you think after we're long gone the rights should stay in your family, my family, Bill's family and Geezer's family?

Statement from Ozzy Osbourne:

"It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990's, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name "Black Sabbath" which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the "Black Sabbath" brand through Ozzfest, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it's had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don't have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We've all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We're all in our 60's now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing."

Source: ozzy.com
Band profile: Black Sabbath
Posted: 30.05.2009 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 47   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 333 users
31.05.2009 - 18:43
crusader84

Fuck you Ozzy, Sabbath is Tony's band! You have trademark on stupid Ozzfest and stupid Osbournes, Sabbath's MUSIC is something else!

GO TONY!
GO BLACK SABBATH WITHOUT OZZY!
GO HEAVEN AND HELL! RENAME IT OFFCIALLY IN BLACK SABBATH!
GO IRON MAIDEN (remember Ozzfest 05 episode)
31.05.2009 - 19:48
Lord_Regnier

Written by Irritable Ted on 31.05.2009 at 18:06

I to see Sharon's hand in this as Ozzy is to far gone to think of anything this advanced.

Ozzy destroyed his brain so much in the 70s and 80s, he doesn't even need to take any drug now to look as if he were on another planet. In his case, the damage to his brain is permanent.
He's supposed to be sober since years. Nevertheless, when you see him in 'The Osbournes', he looks completely drugged.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
31.05.2009 - 20:18
ColdasagravE

Chalk another vocalist/guitarist tiff up to the ages. It also sounds like Sharon and Ozzy have traded genitals. "Tony please do the right thing", Ozzy sounds so despicable. Tony Iommi's best decision was including Ronnie James Dio and kicking Ozzy to the curb, for the second time.
01.06.2009 - 04:06
Arcticus

Written by Irritable Ted on 31.05.2009 at 18:06

I was puzzled as to why the new Dio led Sabbath had toured as Heaven and Hell and the new album with the same name.

It is obvious now as Iommi saw this coming.

It has actually been fairly well documented that Heaven & Hell have toured and released their album under this name to distinguish their own legacy as it were, from that of the Ozzy lineup, as opposed to fear of legal action. However I wouldn't be surprised if this was a behind the scenes factor. And yes it does stink of Sharon's dirty underhandedness, but we're all used to that by now, she's been running Ozzy's life since they met 30 years ago. But as far as I'm concerned it's all pretty much irrelevant, as long as the music is there for people to listen to, and Heaven & Hell are still making awesome new music, that's good enough for me
01.06.2009 - 09:01
yourmomiskvlt

Fuck Ozzy.

DIO rules!

Sorry had a little fan-boy moment there.
01.06.2009 - 19:49
TheBigRossowski

So much dumb and respectless shit here. Ozzy (or Sharon) could want their entitlements, but maybe it's much more than that. Maybe it's just as he wrote it, ruining the name of Black Sabbath. I mean, who the fuck will even remember ''Seventh Star'', go ahead and look that up real fast.

There is a separation between Heaven & Hell and Black Sabbath, that's why they named it that. Leave that aside. Ozzy would like to preserve the name of their band.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
01.06.2009 - 21:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by TheBigRossowski on 01.06.2009 at 19:49

So much dumb and respectless shit here. Ozzy (or Sharon) could want their entitlements, but maybe it's much more than that. Maybe it's just as he wrote it, ruining the name of Black Sabbath. I mean, who the fuck will even remember ''Seventh Star'', go ahead and look that up real fast.

i understand he invested lots of cash into the brand of Sabbath but this is a bit over the top...

though if Ozzy is doing this for Bill and Geezer i can understand that(after all Ozzy is like 3 times richer than all of them combined)
02.06.2009 - 01:26
Demonmayonnaise

Iommi is the only member to play on every Sabbath album, IMO he is Sabbath. nuff said.
02.06.2009 - 04:29
Natalya
Account deleted
Ozzy shouldn't have say in anything, especially since he was "kicked" out of Sabbath for being totally unprofessional. It really wasn't Ozzy who made Black Sabbath great, because look at them once they aquired Dio: the album Heaven and Hell was produced (on of the Heaviest albums of all time), and they ((Iommi, Butler, Dio and Appice)) are touring now, so Ozzy should just shut up and busy himself with his new TV show.

Say: has anyone seen that show yet? I saw the previews on TV but missed when it was suppose to come out.
02.06.2009 - 11:22
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I agree... with Ozzy. Black Sabbath is a BAND, it began with those four guys, they even shared writing credits in some albums, why is Iommi the only one with rights over it after all these years? Everyone who's against Ozzy on this issue is not just against Ozzzy, you're against Geezer and Bill Ward too. Think about it.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
02.06.2009 - 13:45
Silent Jay

I agree that royalties and rights of the first 8 Black Sabbath albums should be distributed equally among Iommi, Osbourne, Ward and Butler but I disagree with Ozzy's supposed reasons. He isn't a "vital" part of the band anymore, maybe back in the early-mid '70's but these days he is no more vital than what Dio, Gillen, Hughes and Martin were and when you look into it, it's reluctance from the Ozzy camp that has prevented a new Ozzy-fronted Black Sabbath album from emerging since the reunion in the '90's. Sure Sabbath have become a big marketing name....but thats all they've become in recent years; a fucking cash maker. I, as a fan, would have prefered Sabbath to have carried on as they were with or without Ozzy, releasing new material and not becoming a bunch of old farts on stage just playing stuff from their past and cashing in on their name.

I also disagree that Ozzy should have a part in the name of 'Black Sabbath'. He was only in the band for it's first decade....what would happen to the other 2 decades of material released under the 'Sabbath name? I don't believe for a second that Sharon (who will be in control of it) will have much care for the non-ozzy stuff, which would be a big shame as there is a lot of good stuff among it.
02.06.2009 - 21:58
TheBigRossowski

Written by Guest on 02.06.2009 at 04:29

Ozzy shouldn't have say in anything, especially since he was "kicked" out of Sabbath for being totally unprofessional. It really wasn't Ozzy who made Black Sabbath great, because look at them once they aquired Dio: the album Heaven and Hell was produced (on of the Heaviest albums of all time), and they ((Iommi, Butler, Dio and Appice)) are touring now, so Ozzy should just shut up and busy himself with his new TV show.

Ozzy shouldn't have ANY say? And you call yourself a Black Sabbath FAN?! The Metal Dude is not one to cast judgment on others, but dude....duuuudde! Let's not forget, they made that shit together. Ozzy and Bill got a little carried away with drugs, happens to a lot of great musicians. Then Ozzy got kicked out... And they only did not change the name because of pressure from the label. And it was Sharon who said they should get Dio to sing in the first place.

And in my personal opinion (which is better than most peoples ), the Heaven and Hell album doesn't have SHIT on Master of Reality. Actually, Dio's measley three albums have nothing on any of the Ozzy-Era 7 (excluding Technical Ecstasy and what not...) But, yeah, that's just like, uh, my opinion, man.

And X-Caliber, man, ''Iommi is the only member to play on every Sabbath album, IMO he is Sabbath. nuff said''. Just because ONE member sticks with something, doesn't make it the same band. Iommi is a key member, but he is not Sabbath alone. You'd complain if one of your favorite bands broke up and only one guy remained, right?! Just like Negura Bunget... it's not Negura Bunget any more... it's look-at-me-back-stab-my-coworkers Bunget.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
03.06.2009 - 16:06
DayFly

Thumbs up you lousy drunk, you show 'im.
05.06.2009 - 05:33
MightyFuckinThor

Well... I can't really blame Ozzy for wanting to have the original entity of Black Sabbath be referred to as just that, and have all else be referred to as something else, because, really... after Ozzy left, it couldn't be the same thing with a different singer. The singer really is the personality of the band, and I still have trouble even hearing any of the stuff with Ronnie James Dio singing... It's not bad... But it's not the Sabbath that I know and love.
I think the final decision in this matter is really up to the fans. We will always stand strong and hold the original Sabbath as the standard and the best. Dio didn't write 'Paranoid', 'N.I.B.', 'Iron Man', 'War Pigs', or any other classics, did he?... Nope. If I want to hear a band that Dio was an original member of, I'd either listen to Rainbow or Dio.
Now, contrary to that, as a guitarist with a lot of original ideas, I can understand Iommi's desire to work, and persist on with an original name, but still, if I were in his position, I would've changed the band's name.
05.06.2009 - 09:36
dying2live

Written by Darkside Momo on 30.05.2009 at 16:24

Ozzy seems jealous of Heaven & Hell's success. No wonder, as he's not able to write good music anymore.
But maybe the 'legal action' idea is not his but Sharon's...

I was thinking that as well.
08.09.2009 - 20:14
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Speaking of it being sharons idea, im pretty sure this video puts this whole situation into perspective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgEP0U6DOw&feature=channel_page
----
08.09.2009 - 22:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Where is the problem between Ozzy and Tony? i didnt get it from the news...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 6809 | This month: 11