Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Live DVD's In The Works

Metallica have issued the following statement:

"There's been a little chatter here and there about us filming a few shows this summer for potential release on DVD and among the countless internet rumors, these ones are actually true! We thought it would be cool to document a few shows that are unique and sure to be extra memorable for us, and hopefully for you too... first up are the three sold out shows in Mexico City, Mexico at Foro Sol on June 4, 6, 7 and later this summer, we also plan to have the cameras rolling at the sold out show in Nimes, France at Arenes de Nimes, the historic Roman amphitheatre where we'll be on July 7. For any Metallica friends going to these shows, bring your war faces and don't be scared of the cameras!"

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 31.05.2009 by Angel_Lament

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 28   Visited by: 164 users
31.05.2009 - 08:38
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Pass.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
31.05.2009 - 09:16
Icedburden

Hopefully a bluray for live shit is in the works
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth
31.05.2009 - 09:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Good news, I wanted a new DVD which contains new songs.
31.05.2009 - 09:50
tulkas
el parcero
For a couple of years i've thought that Metallica should wrap it up already. they already have an incredible legacy and history in metal... maybe this dvd should be a start of that
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
31.05.2009 - 09:52
Opethian

A blu - ray would be nice, wouldnt doubt it, these guys are really mainstream and can easily afford it ... saw NIN on blu-ray ..so yeahhh
31.05.2009 - 09:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by LeChron James on 31.05.2009 at 08:38

Pass.

Don't be so hasty...from what I hear they can still pull shit off live.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.05.2009 - 11:40
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 31.05.2009 at 09:54

Pass.

Probably, but there a shitload of bands more interesting to check live.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
31.05.2009 - 11:47
destroyah
supercharger

Pass.

It's been three years since i last saw them live and back then they did deliver. A DVD however, is another matter, cause generally they tend to amplify any shortcomings a band may have (I'm guessing James' voice ain't gonna sound brilliant).

I'd go see them live any day, but I'll pass on the DVD (much like I pass on all DVDs, really...)
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
31.05.2009 - 11:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by destroyah on 31.05.2009 at 11:47

Pass.

It's been three years since i last saw them live and back then they did deliver. A DVD however, is another matter, cause generally they tend to amplify any shortcomings a band may have (I'm guessing James' voice ain't gonna sound brilliant).

I'd go see them live any day, but I'll pass on the DVD (much like I pass on all DVDs, really...)

Your 100% right. I love live albums, but I have a really hard time sitting and watching a whole concert on DVD. For me a concert is 50% atmosphere 50% music, and when your in the middle of that atmosphere its easy to ignore the bands shortcomings, whereas when you watch a DVD its really hard not to compare it to the studio version. There are a few DVDs that replicate the intensity of a live concert, my Ramones "Its Alive" double-disc box set comes to mind.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.05.2009 - 14:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 31.05.2009 at 11:54

Written by destroyah on 31.05.2009 at 11:47

Pass.

Your 100% right. I love live albums, but I have a really hard time sitting and watching a whole concert on DVD. For me a concert is 50% atmosphere 50% music, and when your in the middle of that atmosphere its easy to ignore the bands shortcomings, whereas when you watch a DVD its really hard not to compare it to the studio version. There are a few DVDs that replicate the intensity of a live concert, my Ramones "Its Alive" double-disc box set comes to mind.

there are great live DVD's which give a special feeling, like "omg i'm there and screaming my face off", for example Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio(you could argue that Maiden just can't fuck up but it's impressive even by their standards, plus the fucking CROWD is unbelievable)
also another great one is AC DC's No Bull - The Director's Cut(once again, fantastic crazy audience), though i agree with most people Brian's voice wasn't at it's best. once again though i could say that these 2 bands deliver like no-ones business though...

are you talking about "smaller" bands?(as in, bands that don't always bring the house down or don't have the resources to make an excellent quality DVD)

either way Metallica(apart from the 2003-2005 time frame when the vocals sucked horribly) were always excellent live(mostly because of James's playing and stage presence, Kirk and Lars are just "there"), Live Shit, the videos filmed at Monsters of Rock Moscow 1991(where Jason does the last chorus for Creeping Death), even in 1999 when they played in Romania for the first time they still slayed. i'd have gone to their show in 2008 but didn't have any cash for the ticket, plus it sold out something like 2 weeks before the show(something that NEVER happened here with a metal concert before as far as i know)
31.05.2009 - 15:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

Pass.

i've seen them in 2007 but they weren't even close to the lives in the 80's and 90's. even to s&m... and they tried hard, believe me. they weren't shit, but nothing spectacular...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
31.05.2009 - 17:48
brandomaster90

I just hate James' recent live voice. It's like he doesn't even attempt to sound 'metal'. It would be so badass if he actually just put the extra effort in on his voice like every other singer in metal does.
----
Long live Metal
31.05.2009 - 18:14
Slyfang

"For any Metallica friends going to these shows, bring your war faces and don't be scared of the cameras!"

damn, for some reason this makes me think of Turisas..
31.05.2009 - 19:58
Lord_Regnier

Written by brandomaster90 on 31.05.2009 at 17:48

I just hate James' recent live voice. It's like he doesn't even attempt to sound 'metal'. It would be so badass if he actually just put the extra effort in on his voice like every other singer in metal does.

That's the first thing I can't stand on "Death Magnetic": how Hetfield's vocals suck compared to the 80s.
He sounds to me as if he has no power left in his vocal chords.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
31.05.2009 - 21:17
VPeter

Why so many DVD releases?
31.05.2009 - 22:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Doc G. on 31.05.2009 at 11:54

Your 100% right. I love live albums, but I have a really hard time sitting and watching a whole concert on DVD.

agree. i have a very hard time sitting watching a concert on the couch. i have only one live DVD (well, VHS, actually) - Slayer's Live INtrusion and that's only because i was at the event where it was filmed.

side note, I asked Herbrand Larson of Enslaved if they were ever going to get around to releasing a live album (as opposed to a dvd) and he indicated they have something in the works. maybe fans just need to bug/pester/ask/annoy bands more to put this stuff out.

you'd think the fucking marketing gurus would have figured out maybe they should do what Nocturno Culto did with his Misanthrope DVD (it's a collection of odd films, not a live DVD, but the poignant bit is forthcoming) - the package included both the dvd and a cd of the soundtrack. release a double-live offering, DVD + CD. people like me would buy it just for the audio content.

/ramble off... not interested in this, (i have live shit, binge and purge anywho), but wanted to respond to the Doctor.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.05.2009 - 23:13
Lord_Regnier

Concerning DVDs, I guess it depends on your attitude towards metal.

As for myself, I like metal music but what matters to me is the music itself. I don't care at all for the live aspect. I never go to gigs anyway.

I'm not interested to find myself in the middle of an excited crowd where lots of people act like idiots, being pushed, trampled on my feet, etc.

Also, the sound sucks live and is way too loud. I don't like it when my ears ring all the night after a concert.

And shows are always at Quebec (250 km from my hometown) and Montreal (450 km from my hometown). Way too far for my taste.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
01.06.2009 - 06:41
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Elio on 31.05.2009 at 11:40

Pass.

Probably, but there a shitload of bands more interesting to check live.

Not for me!
I'm so getting this DVD... eventually...
*fanboy*
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
01.06.2009 - 12:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'll probably check the DVD but I won't worry about it now, the shows are will gona be recorded and the process of recording and then releasing it is very slow.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.06.2009 - 23:51
Shadowcross
The Summoner
*vomits myself to death*
02.06.2009 - 13:11
Inlé

Yawn...
03.06.2009 - 15:10
Justice

I love metallica dvds
remmember live shit
04.06.2009 - 03:25
VanHelsing

I'm gonna be at the three shows in Mexico City, so I'll be definitely buying this
----
-V
04.06.2009 - 18:11
juanopereira

If there aren't songs from the saint anger album on the dvd, everything's ok.
04.06.2009 - 21:02
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen

i wouldnt know, shelling out $120 to see them live with potentially inappropriate supporting acts never seemed worth it to me. i'll believe it when i see it.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
14.06.2009 - 11:35
terrorist

Written by LeChron James on 04.06.2009 at 21:02

i wouldnt know, shelling out $120 to see them live with potentially inappropriate supporting acts never seemed worth it to me. i'll believe it when i see it.

Check this video and you will see that tehey are still good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-XOIO0jhs
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
14.07.2009 - 20:29
wrathchild

A bit late, but the concert they did in Nimes is available for free streaming at http://www.wormee.com/ from July 11 to July 15 (that's to say... tomorrow!)
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
05.01.2010 - 18:08
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I decided to buy the box, but there is a meaningless thing in this box! Death Magnetic's CD. I have Death Magnetic and the coffin box one, it means that I have even the Demo CD! what the hell is this? its meaningless. I dont need second one. shit

Hits total: 4458 | This month: 4