03. Silenced
04. In Memoriam
05. Mind On Fire
06. Where Vultures Feast
07. I Prevail
08. Act Of Killing
09. Tongue Of The Snake
10. The Premier Plague

In 2003, not all that far from where I live, although not exactly a walking distance either, the Dutch Thrash metal band Portall formed. Six years later they're out with their début album. "Code Black" is the name, and you guessed it right, I'm going to give it a review. Without further ado, here it goes:

Portall play Thrash with a few Deathy bits and pieces: no bull, no compromises. The guys from Portall have focused minds and they deliver their Thrash with melody, aggression and conviction. For the well-seasoned Thrashhead it'll be nothing new and perhaps a bit unexciting, but for me, someone that hasn't listened to any Thrash in quite some time now, it's an enjoyable and catchy album. I do have one point of criticism though – besides the lack of an original sound – which concerns the vocals. Vocalist Rutger and his voice dwell between a deep growl and a higher, more aggressive scream, but he doesn't really pull it off all too well. The way he lingers in between he lacks both the power of the deep growl and the venom of the scream. Later on in the album he improves, as if he need a little warming-up, and suddenly sounds quite a lot better.

Thriving on tight riffs with a bunch of cool solos, they successfully execute the formula o' Thrash once written by the legends, spiced up with a couple of Death metal influences to create a meatier sound, Portall are a good fun band. From my point of view it is a welcome change from the everlasting Doom / Black metal aura that clouds my mind, but for those that listen to Thrash on a daily basis it may not be anything special. So, ask yourself what you're looking for in your Thrash and you'll know what to do.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 28.05.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 27 users
02.06.2009 - 00:08
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I like their stuff.. do they have a previous demo as well?
04.06.2009 - 02:00
Damnated
Churchburner
i thought this was a review for the australian band, and i came to complain about the second l in the name, ha.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

Hits total: 3751 | This month: 8