Metal Storm logo
Noumena

05.06.2009 - 16:50
MeloDeathViking

Noumena play a brand of Melodic Death Metal simliar in many ways to their Finnish counterparts Insomnium. And although it's similar, they have their own distinct sound that separates them. Like Insomnium they rely heavly on the sounds created in early In Flames albums. They of course use the growls that you would expect, but also include a lot more clean passages than what Insomnium does. These guys have been around since 1998 and have since put out three full lengths, as well as a digital only EP and are currently working on a fouth full length. With each album they have grown more and more into their own sound, topped off to this point, with Anatomy of Life. Their sound has grown to include a good chunk of clean passages, as well as a solid, but not over use of female vocals.

Their albums include:
Pride/Fall - 2002
Absence - 2005
Triumph and Loss (EP) - 2006
Anatomy of Life - 2006

I think although they probably get lumped in as just another Melodic Death Metal band, they really deserve special attention, especially from fans of Insomnium and old In Flames. So here we have a place to discuss their first four efforts, and hopefully another one in the near future.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
06.06.2009 - 03:35
Ragana
Rawrcat
Well I can just agree with you because Noumena is another good melodic death metal band and though I'm done with this stuff (not even started with that Insomnium thing or In Flames which I can't stand) I still like to listen to their albums in a while.

"Anatomy Of Life" probably is my favourite album of theirs (I couldn't really choose between this and "Absence"). It has a very interesting sounding, they kinda aren't turning the music into sad or depressive tones which I like (I may have too much of depression in my music already), they can express it all in different ways.
13.06.2009 - 06:27
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I don't really get them... They aren't bad, but doesn't really captivate me. My opinion is based on listening to Absence. The riffs are repetitive and sounds kinda basic (I know Kalmah does this kind of repetitive thing, but they are just somehow more effective) while the melodies fail to stick into my mind.
Stand out track "Prey Of The Tempter". Clean vocals are okay while the growls just seems to sound better. But tbh, I'd rather listen to Scar Symmetry or Mercenary. Waiting to see if anyone would change my mind here
----
loves 小巫
14.06.2009 - 23:49
MeloDeathViking

Written by Ag Fox on 13.06.2009 at 06:27

I don't really get them... They aren't bad, but doesn't really captivate me. My opinion is based on listening to Absence. The riffs are repetitive and sounds kinda basic (I know Kalmah does this kind of repetitive thing, but they are just somehow more effective) while the melodies fail to stick into my mind.
Stand out track "Prey Of The Tempter". Clean vocals are okay while the growls just seems to sound better. But tbh, I'd rather listen to Scar Symmetry or Mercenary. Waiting to see if anyone would change my mind here

You might find the newest album, Anatomy of Life more appealing. It has more of a different feel than Absense
----
27.06.2009 - 17:15
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Personally Im a bigger fan of Absence...it may be kinda formulaic but at least the riffs are quite catchy. The last album was a bit disappointing, they lost their punchy sound and it just didnt gel with me.
28.06.2009 - 15:34
MeloDeathViking

Written by Guest on 27.06.2009 at 17:15

Personally Im a bigger fan of Absence...it may be kinda formulaic but at least the riffs are quite catchy. The last album was a bit disappointing, they lost their punchy sound and it just didnt gel with me.

I can see what you mean. For me though, I didn't see it as so much a losing of a part of their sound, they just added different aspects to it. But if you're more into the heavier stuff, than I can definitly see why you would be disappointed. Maybe on their next album they can find a good combination of the two sounds.
----
01.07.2009 - 07:05
Fhuesc

Maybe im a fanboy of Insomnium, but this band isnt close to them. Everything in Insomnium is much better to me
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
01.07.2009 - 15:40
MeloDeathViking

Written by Fhuesc on 01.07.2009 at 07:05

Maybe im a fanboy of Insomnium, but this band isnt close to them. Everything in Insomnium is much better to me

I really have to disagree with you on this one. I think if you really take a good listen to Anatomy of Life, you'll see that they use a lot of similar elements. I'm not saying they're an exact copy of Insomnium, only that they both rely heavily on similar elements. Theres a couple songs on that album that I can see being on an Insomnium album and not being all that out of place.
----
09.07.2009 - 04:05
bard

I really enjoy their leads and melodies. I admit that they can feel pretty minimal and repetitive at times, but they also have a level of feeling or intention to them. The song structures all point towards In Flames, yes, but the riffs themselves aren't just generic rips from other bands (as far as I can tell), as they have a subtle 'folk-iness' or 'real-ness' that only comes from heart-felt composing, in my opinion. (Especially evident in Absence)
----
31.08.2009 - 08:14
Uller

I just started to listen to neumena and its a great band, Abcence its a melodic death masterpiece. I love insomnium and maybe im not a good listener but i dont find much resemblance, neumea has a great cleen vocals (not a shity ones as the cleen vocals in Norther, or the new ones in Insomnium) and besides they have a female singer. In fact I think that Neumena could be a good combination between Persefone and Insomnium. But this is just what i think.

I really like them, Ill be looking for their new album in december
----
25.02.2013 - 21:49
Risto
Wandering Midget
News worthy of the bump...

Didn't add it yet, the current release date information sounds a little fishy...