04. Thou Shalt Suffer
05. Losing Ground # Dust Collector
06. Versus
07. Last Wave
08. Nowadays Lament
09. Sacred Traces
10. When We Finally Fall
11. Forever Silent

Second album for DustBowl and second successful one! No doubt, this release is a confirmation that this young French combo is clearly at the top of its form! Who know, maybe that they will even become a leader of the French scene because like The Old Dead Tree, they have the class and the potential to do it. Time will tell, but one more time, I recommend you all to have a look at this band, especially if you like dark Metal and Cold Rock.

"In Recoil" just works, and do you know why? Well the answer is simple, the album is full of excellent songs, well hit is even a better word to say it. Like on the previous release, we always have a real melancholic touch on the album but this is not slow or really sad musically speaking. "In Recoil" is just dark but the songs are catchy if you see what I mean. "Starblossom" or "Irony" for example could be compared to some songs of The Old Dead Tree but I cannot say too that it's a simple copycat and plus we clearly have some cool New-Wave influences. This is just a matter of ambiance and genre, both bands having the same dark atmosphere on their songs and play the same kind of melancholic but energetic music! "In Recoil" just confirms the first feelings that I had with the band; they have a real strong potential and know how to write good songs, songs that you'll remember if you just listen to the album one or two times...

The production is one more time really good, the cover is a bit simple but the best part comes from the musicians. The hot voice of Guillaume Host is really good, but his growls are also really impressive (just have a look at "Thou Shalt Suffer"). All in all, we're in front of a release which features good songs, good musicians and with a good production. If "In Recoil" could get a really big promotion, if they could be labelled as famous before that they release this album, I'm sure that "In Recoil" could be praised by a lot of people...

Do you get me? If you like dark Metal, catchy music, classy choruses, you don't have to wait anymore time, this album is a must! DustBowl is a really promising combo and I hope that things will change for them soon. Don't miss it please!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 07.06.2009

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 63 users
07.06.2009 - 19:40
Talvi

Cold rock?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
07.06.2009 - 20:56
Sjuk
Lord Of Jörg
I have the promotional CD "BOUND(s)" from this band... I'm not satisfy by this band :/
07.06.2009 - 21:25
gid

What is 'cold rock'?
07.06.2009 - 23:12
silenius

Dustbowl... a map on team fortress 2. i think i need to nerd some tbh^^
09.06.2009 - 01:31
13drops
Account deleted
Hi, it's Julien From DustBowl

Thx for your interest. I don't know how to define "Cold Rock"... I think that Paradise Lost, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch nails, Katatonia are some bands with this "cold" feeling.
The guy who has "Bound(s)" is a lucky man ! it's Rare, and... I'll be honest : this demo was recorded 6 years ago... and we were not 100% satisfied with it. It's the reason why we've make 2 albums since "Bound(s)" ! My advice : listen to "In Recoil" and you'll hear the actual DustBowl ! I'm sure you'll like it
09.06.2009 - 07:04
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Nice review Jeff, checked them out and definitely catchy. As far as "cold rock" goes, it is similar to industrial rock/metal like NIN and Fear Factory.
10.06.2009 - 16:47
Sjuk
Lord Of Jörg
Written by Guest on 09.06.2009 at 01:31

The guy who has "Bound(s)" is a lucky man ! it's Rare

I had this CD when your band played at Clamart (with Heavy Miles and 2 others bands) ^^
10.06.2009 - 23:59
13drops
Account deleted
Ok, Heavymiles are good friends of us, even if they they don't exist anymore. It's a good souvenir for us, the gig endend by a fight between a drunk man and the heavymiles brothers very fun. We play often in Paris, you could come in one of our next gigs, maybe in acoustic with Mister Danny Cavanagh from ANATHEMA the june 27th ? It will be a great night !

Hits total: 3258 | This month: 8