Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
26.01.2012 - 14:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Oh, they are playing Wait For Sleep and Bridges In The Sky. What an awesome setlist (in terms of the non-ADTOE album).
Just got interested in the Lisbon show
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.02.2012 - 17:22
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Some good news for ex-drummer of Dream Theater out here.

Mike Portnoy Won Top 25 Modern Metal Drummer
29.02.2012 - 00:57
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 28.02.2012 at 17:22

from what I saw there, he's number 25. Are there 24 drummers better than him?
29.02.2012 - 01:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 29.02.2012 at 00:57

Yes
It depends on what someone deems a good drummer. There is no objective measuring as to who is a good drummer and who isn't.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2012 - 06:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Aren't you happy enough to seem him cracking in top 25?
29.02.2012 - 06:59
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.02.2012 at 06:41

I couldn't care less about these tops or countdowns.
29.02.2012 - 07:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 29.02.2012 at 06:59

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.02.2012 at 06:41

I couldn't care less about these tops or countdowns.

Than you don't know anything about Mike bud
29.02.2012 - 07:07
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Than you don't know anything about Mike bud

maybe I don't; what do I know indeed, I only listen to DT's music.

he's proud of his best drummer awards; he should be, anybody should be proud of his good work.
29.02.2012 - 10:54
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.02.2012 at 01:25

It depends on what someone deems a good drummer. There is no objective measuring as to who is a good drummer and who isn't.

Which is why I find these lists completely silly, it would be like someone randomly picked any "favorite drummers" list from this very site and then published it in, hm, Rolling Stone or something

(I'm agreeing with Marcel, this is a fucking weird morning)
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.02.2012 - 15:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Milena on 29.02.2012 at 10:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.02.2012 at 01:25

Which is why I find these lists completely silly, it would be like someone randomly picked any "favorite drummers" list from this very site and then published it in, hm, Rolling Stone or something

(I'm agreeing with Marcel, this is a fucking weird morning)

Or may be "randomly picked up lists" can be act like a Internet meme?!
10.03.2012 - 15:10
DJ Mythos
Terrible band
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
10.03.2012 - 17:40
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by DJ Mythos on 10.03.2012 at 15:10

Terrible band

wow, please give us an explanation what's so terrible about them, why do you dislike them at least.
10.03.2012 - 20:23
vezzy
Stallmanite

Terrible band.

There.

Don't forget your punctuation, sonny. It's a make-or-break kind of thing.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.03.2012 - 21:18
DJ Mythos
Written by Guest on 10.03.2012 at 17:40

Terrible band

wow, please give us an explanation what's so terrible about them, why do you dislike them at least.

Wanking silliness. LaBrie is a hackneyed bore. As far as technical skill goes, yeah they're great. But so what? Their songs meander. Like Opeth, about 80% of every song is completely unnecessary. If Rush sucked, they'd be Dream Theater.

Last year, DT put out a new one which was no worse than their previous efforts but still awful. On the other hand, Fates Warning has ALWAYS been better than Dream Theater. I don't think it's even close. And the recent Arch/Matheos record absolutely destroys anything DT has ever done.

Also, there's the fact that they are so completely overrated. I know a few prog fans, and they can all name at least 5 bands that are better. Nonetheless, every time they put out a new album, the release is highly anticipated. I just could never understand the fascination with a band that I find so incomparably boring.

I admit, though, that I'm not a huge prog fan. I would sooner listen to Sarcofago. Still, there have to be prog fans that feel the way I do about DT.
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
10.03.2012 - 21:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by DJ Mythos on 10.03.2012 at 21:18
If Rush sucked, they'd be Dream Theater.

Pretty much what I've always thought of them.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.03.2012 - 22:44
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Dr. Fuccalord on 10.03.2012 at 21:58

Rush sucks, only 2112 is great.
DT sucks, only Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory and Black Clouds & Silver Linings are great.

Are you out of your mind, sir? Have you by any chance heard Rush's Hemispheres or Moving Pictures? And have you listened to DT's Images and Words and Awake?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.03.2012 - 23:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't know if I'd say Rush sucks, but I've never enjoyed their music.

With the exception of "Tom Sawyer", of course. That song is just too badass.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2012 - 00:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.03.2012 at 23:03

I don't know if I'd say Rush sucks, but I've never enjoyed their music.

One of the worst song they have ever written.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2012 - 01:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
You probably just don't like it because it's popular. -_-
----
11.03.2012 - 01:26
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by DJ Mythos on 10.03.2012 at 21:18

Written by Guest on 10.03.2012 at 17:40

Terrible band

Wanking silliness. LaBrie is a hackneyed bore. As far as technical skill goes, yeah they're great. But so what? Their songs meander. Like Opeth, about 80% of every song is completely unnecessary. If Rush sucked, they'd be Dream Theater.

Last year, DT put out a new one which was no worse than their previous efforts but still awful. On the other hand, Fates Warning has ALWAYS been better than Dream Theater. I don't think it's even close. And the recent Arch/Matheos record absolutely destroys anything DT has ever done.

Also, there's the fact that they are so completely overrated. I know a few prog fans, and they can all name at least 5 bands that are better. Nonetheless, every time they put out a new album, the release is highly anticipated. I just could never understand the fascination with a band that I find so incomparably boring.

I admit, though, that I'm not a huge prog fan. I would sooner listen to Sarcofago. Still, there have to be prog fans that feel the way I do about DT.

I agree that they are overrated and the hype they got around sometimes it's annoying.

Wanking silliness? They are a bunch of show offs indeed (Systematic Chaos and Scenes... stand proof of that) but waning silliness is just too much

5 bands that are better? But that just matter of opinion. What's better than what is just liking one band/album than another (more or less). I can name 5 bands that I like more than Dream Theater, but this does not prove that DT are bad, it just proves that I just like those bands more (am I making any sense? )
11.03.2012 - 01:30
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2012 at 00:58

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.03.2012 at 23:03

One of the worst song they have ever written.

I'm kinda partial to "Limelight" or "The Camera Eye" off Moving Pictures, but "Tom Sawyer" is definitely not one of their worst songs.

And back on topic, I've never been able to enjoy Dream Theater's wankery. With my tastes for metal nowadays, long artsy songs have to be very atmospheric and enchanting for me to enjoy them, otherwise I'm listening to something fast that chugs right along.
11.03.2012 - 01:33
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Finally someone is sensible here.
Rush sucks, only 2112 is great.
DT sucks, only Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory and Black Clouds & Silver Linings are great.
They are very much overrated !

I find your comparison silly.
Do not compare Fates Warning with DT, they are not that similar kind of band. Fates Warning is more towards Power Metal.
Do not compare Sarcofago with DT, they are even more estranged. Sarcofago was early stage of Thrash Metal.

He's not comparing DT to Sarcofago, he was just saying what music he was more into.

Fates Warning has influeced DT so the comparison is not wrong.

BC&SL great? I LOLed because tastes differ, I think it's one of their weakest albums.

Rush sucks?! I don't know what to say, I kinda saw red reading this. If you don't like them, it's ok, just don't complain about it.
11.03.2012 - 12:07
Storchillarn
There must be some fan boys in here, though. I was one a couple of years ago, in the sense that I thought every album was great (except FII and WDADU which I ignored), probably until they released Systematic Chaos. Haha, it was kinda' hard to maintain the illusion when that pile of dung was part of their legacy. Sort of like believing in (un)intelligent design when you've got evolution. I still love DT because they were my way into progressive metal in a way, but nowadays the only whole albums I tend to listen through are Metropolis and Awake. And don't even try comparing Opeth and DT.. the only similarity is that both bands' last album is their worst.

On the Rush topic, I have to say I'm inclined to agree with Marcel Hubregtse on Tom Sawyer. Whenever there's music playing and Rush gets mentioned it's always that fucking song being played. I don't think it's a bad song but it's insanely overrated. Put on Working Man, Freewill, 2112, Closer to the Heart or The Trees and I'd be well happy!
11.03.2012 - 17:24
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Dr. Fuccalord on 11.03.2012 at 05:41

1) He's not comparing DT to Sarcofago, he was just saying what music he was more into.
2) Fates Warning has influeced DT so the comparison is not wrong.
3) BC&SL great? I LOLed because tastes differ, I think it's one of their weakest albums.
4) Rush sucks?! I don't know what to say, I kinda saw red reading this. If you don't like them, it's ok, just don't complain about it.

1) I dont like Metallica, I am more into Michael jackson.
2) James of Metallica listened to MJ at his young age....so Metallica is influenced by MJ, so...lets compare their music.
3) BC & SL are great because they are not pretentious, straight and confident ! the rest contained too much unnecessary riffs and excessive keyboard, seems like using some keyboards to fill up empty space ( in another word - DISJOINT )...bore me a lot !
4) Rush sucks ? YES. I like only 2112, same thing here...straight and confident album. Moving Picture is a superficial album, if it was classified as a pop album, reduce the guitar, drum...then i would say...not bad. Hempshire is the only album that I have not listened...I would try it and hope it is nice. Furthermore, I cant stand the vocalist, his vocal range is too narrow, too sharp and low....bore me to death.

Wow, are you for real? I doubt you have even understood what I wrote there. What we got here is failure to communicate.

What's Michael Jackson got to do with anything concerning this thread? I doubt James Hetfield was listening to Michael Jackson, don't be naive and believe anything you read or are told.

I never said Bc&SL is a bad album, just their weakest of them all, in my opinion.

Wtf is "Hempshire"? Get the album title right at least. Search it...:hopeless:

Reduce the guitar and drums in Rush?! Now you win the first prize in the craziest idea in the last 24 hours!
I understand Geddy's vocals are an acquired taste. Maybe Rush is not a band for you, it's ok if you don't like Rush, but I'll say it again, stop bitching about it!

Your arguments are numbered with parantheses and all; it's creepy...
11.03.2012 - 18:24
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Dr. Fuccalord on 11.03.2012 at 18:13

1) What's Michael Jackson got to do with anything concerning this thread ?.....
2) I never said Bc&SL is a bad album, just their weakest of them all....
3) Wtf is "Hempshire"? Get the album title right at least.....
4) Reduce the guitar and drums in Rush ?! .....
5) I understand Geddy's vocals are an acquired taste...

You have already helped me refuting your own statements :
1) So...What's DT got to do with Sarcofago ?
2) BC & SL are great due to their straight forward and confidence. The rest got many disjoints...boring. I rather listening Marillion.
3) I purposely spelled it wrong to prove that I dont like this band.
4) Yes, Rush should reduce bass, guitar and drum...fully concentrate on KEYBOARD as they belong to pop, not rock or metal.
5) Taste weird ...some like it, I never stop anybody loving this band.

You misunderstood, Mythos was not comparing DT to Sarcofago, he was just saying that he is not much into progressive metal, but more into bands like Sarcofago.
Don't repeat the same argument for the third time, I understood the very first time that you love Black Clouds & Silver Linings. I like the album, but it's one of my least favorite DT albums.

If you like the keyboards in Rush, try their albums between 1982 to 1989. It's a more accessible sound.
11.03.2012 - 18:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quote:
Written by Guest on 11.03.2012 at 18:24

Written by Dr. Fuccalord on 11.03.2012 at 18:13

1) What's Michael Jackson got to do with anything concerning this thread ?.....
2) I never said Bc&SL is a bad album, just their weakest of them all....
3) Wtf is "Hempshire"? Get the album title right at least.....
4) Reduce the guitar and drums in Rush ?! .....
5) I understand Geddy's vocals are an acquired taste...

You have already helped me refuting your own statements :
1) So...What's DT got to do with Sarcofago ?
2) BC & SL are great due to their straight forward and confidence. The rest got many disjoints...boring. I rather listening Marillion.
3) I purposely spelled it wrong to prove that I dont like this band.
4) Yes, Rush should reduce bass, guitar and drum...fully concentrate on KEYBOARD as they belong to pop, not rock or metal.
5) Taste weird ...some like it, I never stop anybody loving this band.

You misunderstood, Mythos was not comparing DT to Sarcofago, he was just saying that he is not much into progressive metal, but more into bands like Sarcofago.
Don't repeat the same argument for the third time, I understood the very first time that you love Black Clouds & Silver Linings. I like the album, but it's one of my least favorite DT albums.

If you like the keyboards in Rush, try their albums between 1982 to 1989. It's a more accessible sound.

Please ignore Dr Fuccalord it is the user I Eat God, Retardedbymetal, Insolent Cock, COck Is Intruder, who has been banned and now also has this account banned. He''s a troollboy and a bad one at that
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2012 - 18:31
Uldreth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2012 at 18:27

Please ignore Dr Fuccalord it is the user I Eat God, Retardedbymetal, Insolent Cock, COck Is Intruder, who has been banned and now also has this account banned. He''s a troollboy and a bad one at that

Makes me think some people have some real serious issues :<
29.03.2012 - 14:38
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
It's been almost two years since the split and Mike's "let's take a break -> I quit -> let me return -> bitching forever" cycle, a year and a half since their latest bullshit album, and during all that time we've had to put up with Mike's childish demeanor ("oh yeah, I wanted a five year break to work with a gazzilion other bands and to leave the band I was playing in for 25 years because it got dull in the last MONTHS") and them basically admitting that "it's so much easier without Mike now that we've gotten over it", which is the most cowardly thing I've ever heard, why couldn't you just tell him to go a bit easy on you, Jesus. It would have been smarter of me to ignore it completely, but I couldn't because I'm an idiot.

I've read all those interviews out of some morbid curiosity; and the only interview where everything was fair, honest and human was the one where Petrucci and Rudess talked about what preceded his departure, and how he insisted on the break and the comeback and how they've repeatedly told him not to do it, but he did it anyway, and when he called to tell them it's over, Rudess cried. And how, when he called them to ask for a reunion, Mangini had already quit his job and got involved in the making of the new album. But I still blame them equally for not being open and honest from the start.

It's been so long and I still can't stop thinking and talking about it and I'm even more boring than Portnoy. But, damn, even though he's a jerk, I want him back. He still wants to be in Dream Theater, it's painfully clear when you hear him talking about them, he'll be completely lost without them. But Dream Theater also needs Portnoy. I mean, let's face it, Mangini hasn't exactly rekindled a new fire within them, judging by how much the new album sucks, although another album would need to be created with his full involvement for us to be sure. But I'm not sure whether I'd want them to take that risk, I don't think I'm the only one who couldn't handle another crappy album.

And then, judging by the stuff Mike plays with Adrenaline Mob and Flying Colors, it looks like he's obsessed with some modern interpretations of rock'n'roll and that he wants to be a rock star. Badly. I don't think that would go well with Dream Theater, their Mike-controlled genre experiments since 2003 have either barely succeeded (let's go all METHUUUL on Train Of Thoughts was pretty good, and somewhat worse on BCASL, and the complex processes which resulted in simple soundscapes and a lot of hero worship on Octavarium were considered very bad by some, although I kinda liked it) or completely failed (Systematic Chaos comes to mind - it's not as bad as the new stuff, but it's bland, save of The Ministry Of Lost Souls).

So I'm completely torn in two and also pretty obsessed.
----
29.03.2012 - 20:17
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I don't think the "wanking silliness" got out of hand until Train of Thought. Sure, they got caught in flights of fancy before on occasion, but TOT was really the first time where the instrumental/solo sections went from being musical to being meandering technical exercises. That's not to say that they haven't made some fine music since.

Written by Milena on 29.03.2012 at 14:38

It's been so long and I still can't stop thinking and talking about it and I'm even more boring than Portnoy. But, damn, even though he's a jerk, I want him back. He still wants to be in Dream Theater, it's painfully clear when you hear him talking about them, he'll be completely lost without them. But Dream Theater also needs Portnoy...

I know where you're coming from and I agree - for whatever illogical reason it doesn't feel like Dream Theater without Portnoy. I've been struggling with the new album and it hasn't grabbed me yet (though I've only been listening to it for a month or two). It just keeps being bland.
29.03.2012 - 20:51
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Azarath on 29.03.2012 at 20:17

It just keeps being bland.

I don't think that impression comes from not having Portnoy, but simply by them not finding a new fire like I hoped they did. But I think it would be better if they had Portnoy on board, because I don't see how Mangini could inspire them to go in a positive direction, while that chance MIGHT be present with Portnoy reuniting.

But probably not. One of my fave bands is going down the drain and that's why I'm so boring and that's why I can't stop talking about it :/
----