Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
01.08.2013 - 16:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm sure the instrumental song will be epic, just as the suite. That's really all we need to say before a new Dream Theater album.
----
06.08.2013 - 13:05
Lethrokai

So what was everyone's opinion on The Enemy Inside?
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
06.08.2013 - 19:57
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Lethrokai on 06.08.2013 at 13:05

It's weak.
06.08.2013 - 22:18
JÄY
Metal slave

It's the best song I have ever heard by them
07.08.2013 - 09:27
Lethrokai

Written by JÄY on 06.08.2013 at 22:18

It's the best song I have ever heard by them

Written by Daniell on 06.08.2013 at 19:57

It's weak.

2 replies, and we already have mixed opinion. Anyone care to elaborate?

As for me personally, I felt that it was pretty good overall... Nothing special by DT standards, but definitely one of their better "single" releases. (DT hasn't exactly been known for doing those right)
I felt that while the musicianship overall was great, the mixing kinda threw me off. The guitar overpowers EVERYTHING. Now, this is great if you listen solely for JP, but for me, being more of a keyboard guy myself, it bothered me when the guitar was more prominent than the keyboard during the keyboard solo.
I'm just hoping that this isn't what the final release will sound like.

However, this is my only real gripe with the song. If they just add a bit more balance to the mix for the CD release, then I'll be very happy.
----
07.08.2013 - 16:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
I thought it was okay, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the (or maybe even the) weakest tracks of the album. At least that's my expectations.
----
07.08.2013 - 17:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

and incredibly weak song, which is way too heavy on the keyboards
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2013 - 20:33
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2013 at 17:01

I agree that the song is too heavy on the keyboards, Rudess is all over the place, as he was on the previous album.
The song ain't bad, we'll see how the rest of the album is like.
08.08.2013 - 00:08
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
It's OK. Singles have never really been what Dream Theater does best, and this song is on par with most of their more recent attempts. At least it sounds more alive than "On the Backs of Angels". Quite heavy as well. The rest of the album is probably better.
08.08.2013 - 00:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Lethrokai on 07.08.2013 at 09:27

Nothing special by DT standards,

There you go, you said it yourself. It is a very well known fact however, that they pick the most simple (for their standards) and radio friendly songs for their singles. So I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of their new album. Yet.

There's a thought that's kept pestering me for many years now when I thiink about Dream Theater. Perhaps they should slow down the tempo at which they release new music. 80 minutes every other year is bound to be less than spectacular. I wish they spent like a year making a new album.
08.08.2013 - 12:16
Lethrokai

Written by Daniell on 08.08.2013 at 00:46

Written by Lethrokai on 07.08.2013 at 09:27

Nothing special by DT standards,

I wish they spent like a year making a new album.

You see, this is something I both agree and disagree with...
The concept of time when it comes to band that has become as big as DT is a double-edged sword.

It's true that more time will normally mean more effort put into the album, but:
A-) There's no guaranteeing that this extra effort will affect the album in any drastic way.
B-) There's no guaranteeing that this extra effort will even be put INTO the album.
C-) With a band as big as DT, you will constantly get obnoxious fans repeating the phrase "where's the new album?" to no end. Just look at Opeth - their not releasing anything last year was voted as "one of the most disappointing things of 2012" by prog mag readers. Large fanbases will tend to turn rabid with impatience, unfortunately.

I agree with you (in the way that I'm always happy for extra effort in an album) but it's a very risky idea for the band, and could easily backfire on them if the end product doesn't turn out being "better" (and I use this term loosely) with the extra time given to it.
----
08.08.2013 - 12:18
Lethrokai

It's funny that you say that. I actually thought it was way too heavy on guitars!
----
26.08.2013 - 11:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just bought my ticket for their Stockholm show in February. At first I thought it was more expensive than DT tickets usually are, until I saw that the whole tour will probably be "An evening with". Money is no factor when that's the case, I've been dreaming for one of those shows for many years.
----
26.08.2013 - 12:06
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Warman on 26.08.2013 at 11:46

I just bought my ticket for their Stockholm show in February. At first I thought it was more expensive than DT tickets usually are, until I saw that the whole tour will probably be "An evening with". Money is no factor when that's the case, I've been dreaming for one of those shows for many years.

I have tickets for the show in February too, in Poland. And the tickets do say "an evening with".
26.08.2013 - 12:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Daniell on 26.08.2013 at 12:06

I have tickets for the show in February too, in Poland. And the tickets do say "an evening with".

So psyched! A whole "A Change of Seasons" would made my day.
----
04.09.2013 - 07:55
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Lethrokai on 08.08.2013 at 12:18

It's funny that you say that. I actually thought it was way too heavy on guitars!

It's way too heavy on stuff. I like it better when they have more space between the notes, more air to breathe. Anybody can shred but few can write something truly unique.
04.09.2013 - 22:34
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
That's been a problem with DT for a while now. There's so much going on and with Petrucci and Rudess fighting over available space the music gets too dense. They should get an outside producer on board or a better mixer to make sense of it afterwards. Preferably both.
09.09.2013 - 17:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
Enjoying the "Along for the Ride" track.
----
23.02.2014 - 12:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
So I saw DT for the fourth time last night. I just wanna say that the heavier version they did of "Space-Dye Vest" was mindblowing. Normally I'd say it's sacrilege to "improve" on a masterpiece such as "Space-Dye Vest", but this one was just awesome. Hope they release the live version of it in some form.
----
11.05.2014 - 16:02
Nucky

I never was really a DT fan but few months ago a friend asked me If I would go to their concert with him.. They played a gig in my home town.. I went cuz I was a bit curious.. And I was impressed with their performance and energy on stage.. They play good shit but still sometimes they are a bit annoying with (too) long songs and they complicate too much.. But I will say their performance and the whole concert was great.. Of course their skills of playing are awsome but I don't know prog metal was never my fav sub genre..
20.06.2014 - 16:00
Ganondox

I think they are overly wanky, songs are generally too long and not emotional enough, but I like quite a few songs by them. However, LaBrie seems to get worse with every album, erg.
20.06.2014 - 16:01
Ganondox

One of my favorite Dream Theater songs, love the riff.
27.09.2014 - 00:41
Jordan_Heliosaga

I LOVE Dream Theater! I have all of their albums. However, I feel that the emotive elements have begun to wane from their albums. It seems to be starting to become more about technicality than good song writing.
----
Like female-fronted power metal? Check out Heliosaga.
heliosaga.com
https://www.facebook.com/Heliosaga
Metal Storm review: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12934
15.01.2015 - 06:55
Amy

I don't know about the rest of you but I sure like how James Labire sounds in the new self entitled album. He reminds me less of my old swim coach from Wisconsin now which is quite a relief.
----
\m/
08.03.2015 - 09:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
http://lambgoat.com/blog/645/Mike-Portnoy-pissed-that-hospital-wouldnt-treat-him-like-someone-important

Don't know what to make of it, but Portnoy sure seems to be an ass.
----
08.03.2015 - 11:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And why to discuss him in Dream Theater topic?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.03.2015 - 17:33
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
There's no way you can complain about something like that and not come across like an ass.
09.03.2015 - 20:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ellrohir on 08.03.2015 at 11:12

And why to discuss him in Dream Theater topic?

Because he's probably still most interesting to Dream Theater fans. Or should I have created a Neal Morse Band thread or whatever just to discuss these news?
----
04.07.2015 - 16:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wow...DT is having 30th Anniversary tour now and there are no news nor events for that here

and i am too lazy to post them, so i am just complaining
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.07.2015 - 10:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ellrohir on 04.07.2015 at 16:37

Wow...DT is having 30th Anniversary tour now and there are no news nor events for that here

and i am too lazy to post them, so i am just complaining

The setlist is looking pretty good, although I'd like to see a full "A Change of Seasons".
----