Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
28.07.2009 - 02:18
Zelse
Maybe we'll see a shift in sound on their third album then...

I see that Dream Theater has been playing The Count of Tuscany at ProgNation shows... god, I want to see that live so badly. Has anybody been following Jordan's little iPhone video updates? He threw several up yesterday, even one right before the show with Portnoy. I love them.
28.07.2009 - 10:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
He puts them on twitter, so yes, I've been following and laughing lol
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.07.2009 - 05:05
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
I am really hoping that when I see them tomorrow night it is a night of their chill music. A combo of Another Day/Take Away My Pain would make my night, week, year.
----
(space for rent)
29.07.2009 - 10:15
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Dane Train on 29.07.2009 at 05:05

I am really hoping that when I see them tomorrow night it is a night of their chill music. A combo of Another Day/Take Away My Pain would make my night, week, year.

Oh, so a filler night? Just kidding... Well... sort of... I actually was listening to Lifting Shadows Off A Dream today. I always forget how good of a song it is.
29.07.2009 - 11:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I really love that song, Lifting Shadows. I know some guys find it cheesy. I think it's really beautiful.
----

My Instagram
29.07.2009 - 14:42
Elio
Red Nightmare
IMO that song is one of the very best ones in Awake.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.07.2009 - 21:41
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by BloodTears on 29.07.2009 at 11:33

I really love that song, Lifting Shadows. I know some guys find it cheesy. I think it's really beautiful.

Written by Elio on 29.07.2009 at 14:42

IMO that song is one of the very best ones in Awake.

Agreed and agreed. I think it's a very pretty (for lack of a better word) song. The synth in the song reminds me of this New Order (a totally NOT metal band from the 80's) song called Your Silent Face... and I really like that song too.
15.08.2009 - 13:41

I agree with your assessment. Beautiful and uplifting song. One of my favorites from Awake.
----
'We entered Winter once again...The sun sets forever over Blackwater park'
15.08.2009 - 14:06
Warman
Erotic Stains

The demo version of it is even better IMO. LaBrie's vocals on that one is just mindblowing!
----
23.08.2009 - 20:21
dibe vur !
God of progressive metal
31.08.2009 - 14:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I wonder when they'll play Wither or The best of Times live.

They've been stucking to A nightmare to remember, the count of tuscany and a rite of passage so far.

Maybe in Europe?
----

My Instagram
31.08.2009 - 16:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Could be As long as they don't replace "The Count of Tuscany" or "A Nightmare to Remember" with one of those songs. And they can play "The Shattered Fortress" instead of "A Rite of Passage".
But seriously, they can play whatever song they want to except for the ones they did last time in Stockholm. Although I wouldn't mind hearing the songs from "Schmedley Wilcox" in full versions. "A Fortune in Lies", "Another Day" and "Pull Me Under" would be a dream too... I can't stop talking when it comes to Dream Theater.
----
31.08.2009 - 16:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Well, I also hope they don't play A rite of passage here. I heard it live already and they can play some other song off the new album. But if you notice their setlists haven't changed much in this tour which scares me. I like the idea of hearing The count of tuscany and a nightmare to remember but they are playing the same old songs, they could add some new old songs.
----

My Instagram
31.08.2009 - 16:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by BloodTears on 31.08.2009 at 16:07

Well, I also hope they don't play A rite of passage here. I heard it live already and they can play some other song off the new album. But if you notice their setlists haven't changed much in this tour which scares me. I like the idea of hearing The count of tuscany and a nightmare to remember but they are playing the same old songs, they could add some new old songs.

Yeah, the setlists are very much alike. But there's one song they're playing which would made me shit my pants if they did it here: "Misunderstood". I'd love to hear it.
----
31.08.2009 - 20:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Warman on 31.08.2009 at 16:18

Written by BloodTears on 31.08.2009 at 16:07

Yeah, the setlists are very much alike. But there's one song they're playing which would made me shit my pants if they did it here: "Misunderstood". I'd love to hear it.

Yes, it's a good song. But it's not a stand out song for me.
----

My Instagram
01.09.2009 - 15:46
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
When I saw them a few weeks back they played "Hollow Years" with some new lyrics added in. Really good stuff.
----
(space for rent)
01.09.2009 - 15:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Dane Train on 01.09.2009 at 15:46

When I saw them a few weeks back they played "Hollow Years" with some new lyrics added in. Really good stuff.

Like they did with "Surrounded" during the SC tour?
"Hollow Years" is a great song BTW, my favourite from "Falling Into Infinity".
----
01.09.2009 - 15:53
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Warman on 01.09.2009 at 15:47

Like they did with "Surrounded" during the SC tour?
"Hollow Years" is a great song BTW, my favourite from "Falling Into Infinity".

When they did "Surrounded" they covered some Marillion and Pink Floyd in the middle of that song. This was just new lyrics to "Hollow Years".
----
(space for rent)
01.09.2009 - 15:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Dane Train on 01.09.2009 at 15:53

When they did "Surrounded" they covered some Marillion and Pink Floyd in the middle of that song. This was just new lyrics to "Hollow Years".

Ah okay I get it. Well, I would have nothing against a "Hollow Years" in Stockholm then.
----
01.09.2009 - 16:02
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Warman on 01.09.2009 at 15:57

Written by Dane Train on 01.09.2009 at 15:53

Ah okay I get it. Well, I would have nothing against a "Hollow Years" in Stockholm then.

Especially with the extended Brian Eno influenced guitar solo on a Moog by Petrucci.
----
(space for rent)
01.09.2009 - 19:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
WHen they played Hollow Years here they also added some new lyrics. I was singing and then "wow, what is this".

But it sounded great.
----

My Instagram
03.09.2009 - 20:33
Panterica
I don't care what songs they will performe next time I'll see them, it doesn't matter if I'll know the songs or not, I just want to see them live again, their last performance was the greatest I ever seen! My friend agreed with me, and he knew only two songs!
Now I just wanna see Opeth live and I'm set for life...
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
03.09.2009 - 23:12
Zelse
Speaking of Falling Into Infinity, let's talk about it! I love the whole album, it has a certain sound to it that they lost after Jordan came in. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but you can DEFINITELY tell once Jordan entered the band that it really became a more technical, electronic-sounding band. One of my favorite Dream Theater songs is Trial of Tears and the mysticism of the keyboards in that song is part of the reason I love that album so much. Hollow Years is wonderful, Hell's Kitchen is beautiful, Lines In The Sand is right in your face... I'm gonna have to listen to this whole album again soon. It's been too long since I last heard it! I play Trial of Tears every time there's a rainy, gloomy day over here, and it fits so well... too bad we haven't had rain in a while.
03.09.2009 - 23:58
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Zelse on 03.09.2009 at 23:12

Speaking of Falling Into Infinity, let's talk about it! I love the whole album, it has a certain sound to it that they lost after Jordan came in. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but you can DEFINITELY tell once Jordan entered the band that it really became a more technical, electronic-sounding band. One of my favorite Dream Theater songs is Trial of Tears and the mysticism of the keyboards in that song is part of the reason I love that album so much. Hollow Years is wonderful, Hell's Kitchen is beautiful, Lines In The Sand is right in your face... I'm gonna have to listen to this whole album again soon. It's been too long since I last heard it! I play Trial of Tears every time there's a rainy, gloomy day over here, and it fits so well... too bad we haven't had rain in a while.

I agree. The album is one of my favs... but many will disagree with that. Lines In the Sand is a masterpiece of a song.
04.09.2009 - 00:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I was the one who said in this thread that Lines In the Sand was a masterpiece. You're all following me

Seriously, I won't consider FII one of my favourite DT albums, but I find a lot of songs there that I love.
----

My Instagram
04.09.2009 - 03:30
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by BloodTears on 04.09.2009 at 00:13

I was the one who said in this thread that Lines In the Sand was a masterpiece. You're all following me

I've been saying it since I heard it. Also I've said it before in this thread too, Missy! D:<
08.09.2009 - 10:02
Eeric
Account deleted
My favorite from FII is Trial of Tears, actually it might be their best song ever
08.09.2009 - 10:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I wish Myung wrote lyrics again (or they let him).
----

My Instagram
08.09.2009 - 20:30
Zelse
I wish they did too. I like the new stuff, I can't help but enjoy whatever Dream Theater does, but man, I wish they'd scale back the technical madness and the Opeth/"metal" sound a little, like what they did with The Count of Tuscany.
09.09.2009 - 11:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Http://liftingshadows.com/

I don't know if you guys know about this, a new authorized DT biography. Check it out.

I'm buying it, in fac, I ordered it already. A must-have for DT fans.
----

My Instagram