Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
08.08.2010 - 01:15
RockeRoy
Written by JÄY on 04.08.2010 at 20:16

Dont think ill ever be able to get into these guys....though i want to

Have you ever tried smoking a joint and watch a consert dvd with them from start to finish?? you can leave out the joint if thats not your cup of tea:) it's a great tips either way.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
08.08.2010 - 01:27
RockeRoy
Written by Storchillarn on 05.08.2010 at 22:07

I think they are well aware of his sometimes lacking capabilities during live performances but they'd be complete douchebags to replace him. They'd not be where they are now without him for one, people seem to forget that! They look at Russell Allen and think Dream Theater could've just as well had a voice like that, ignoring the fact that what Labrie did on I&W is insane. His vox on Awake are incredible, in fact, some of the best parts of that album are his vocals and the lyrics. Slagging him off often proves you're a DT newbie with zero insight.

That said, he's a bit of a wildcard when it comes to live performances which is unfortunate but at least he sings in a band where one can enjoy the instrumental part of the music without focusing too much on his voice if need be. ^^

your absolutly right in my opinion. James vocal performence on I&W and Awake is amaizing. And i like him better with the new beard look:) it's not in a gay way:) just that i had problems looking at him singing sometimes becasue i think he looks like an ugly woman without the beard. ha ha
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
09.09.2010 - 20:42
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
So yeah, I was at an Katatonia/Orphaned Land show last night when I heard the news about Mike. As soon as I heard the news from a friend, a guy with a SfaM shirt walk by me. I stopped him and told him Mike just left DT. After I that, I realized I probably ruined that guy's night! D: I think this makes me a bad person.
10.09.2010 - 02:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Why would they be complete douches to replace Mike Portnoy? Mike wants Dream Theater to move on and replace him and be happy without him while Dream Theater want to move on without Mike Portnoy and both parties are amicable about it...while their music is a tad lackluster as of late, I relish the idea and am curious to see who the remaining four members of Dream Theater will hire on as a new drummer...and you all should be too...my opinion has changed about this since I first heard this news...
10.09.2010 - 09:17
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Well, as you said, their music has been lackluster recently. Portnoy was co-leader with Petrucci, so their music might get even more lackluster without one of the leaders.
Let's wait and see what they come up with.
10.09.2010 - 09:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 10.09.2010 at 09:17

Well, as you said, their music has been lackluster recently. Portnoy was co-leader with Petrucci, so their music might get even more lackluster without one of the leaders.

Portnoy was the person keeping DT still somewhat heavy. I think that without it him DT will become even softer and turn into a non-metal band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 09:44
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I first of all want to listen to good music, be it metal or not. I don't mind if they soften their sound, provided it's good music. There are thousands of other bands if I want metal.
10.09.2010 - 09:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 10.09.2010 at 09:44

I first of all want to listen to good music, be it metal or not. I don't mind if they soften their sound, provided it's good music. There are thousands of other bands if I want metal.

Well softer DT is boring imo. The best stuff they made was when they played heavy music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 10:24
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 09:34

Portnoy was the person keeping DT still somewhat heavy. I think that without it him DT will become even softer and turn into a non-metal band.

I think any big change in their sound gives me more hope for a turn-around. Judging by Falling Into Infinity, I think they are capable of making some quality prog-rock orientated stuff.
10.09.2010 - 10:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.09.2010 at 10:24

I think any big change in their sound gives me more hope for a turn-around. Judging by Falling Into Infinity, I think they are capable of making some quality prog-rock orientated stuff.

And that labum I find their crappiest by far
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 12:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Written by Daniell on 10.09.2010 at 09:17

Hope not in way how did Anathema turns
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.09.2010 - 12:52
Storchillarn
Listen to the new Labrie album and realize Portnoy wasn't the only noob-rocker of Dream Theater. I'm not sure how this change will affect their sound but I don't think they'll make a complete turn-around simply because Portnoy isn't with them anymore. For all I know the only thing that'll change is perhaps slightly less shitfaced wannabe-growling, and that can't be a bad thing, right?
14.09.2010 - 13:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I wonder how the new drummer will play/reproduce some of the Portnoy drum parts. Most would struggle a lot, so I wonder. That kinda worries me a bit and it kinda makes me sad that the next time I see one of my favourite bands live, Dream Theater, something will be missing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.09.2010 - 14:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
It doesn't necessarily have to be like that. I remember back in 1992 I attended a Slayer gig. I had heard that Dave Lombardo was gone, but I wasn't sure. I watched the whole gig and never saw the drummer. Somewhere half way through the gig I thought it must've been Lombardo because all drum parts were played correctly. The only moment I was doubtful was during "War Ensemble". Only at the end of the gig did I see that it wasn't Lombardo. As great as Mike Portnoy is, I'm sure there are enough drummers who can play his parts flawlessly.
14.09.2010 - 15:43
MeloDeathViking
Written by Daniell on 14.09.2010 at 14:33

It doesn't necessarily have to be like that. I remember back in 1992 I attended a Slayer gig. I had heard that Dave Lombardo was gone, but I wasn't sure. I watched the whole gig and never saw the drummer. Somewhere half way through the gig I thought it must've been Lombardo because all drum parts were played correctly. The only moment I was doubtful was during "War Ensemble". Only at the end of the gig did I see that it wasn't Lombardo. As great as Mike Portnoy is, I'm sure there are enough drummers who can play his parts flawlessly.

My main worry isn't the technical prowess of the new drummer, but more in the song writing and lyrical aspects. Portnoy himself has said that he believes there are many drummers out there who could replace him and play equally as well, it's just everything else he did for the band that worries me.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
15.09.2010 - 00:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah, Portnoy said that he went well above and beyond for Dream Theater than he liked to...that kinda makes me curious as to exactly how much effort the rest of the guys were putting into Dream Theater...Myung even stated at one point that he had no more ideas and he was out of ideas...it makes me wonder if Dream Theater will fall apart now...
18.09.2010 - 10:29
Hrothdane
I found a copy of Awake for $2 and figured I would try it out, and I just couldn't get into it. LaBrie's voice just ruined the album for me, which is strange considering I didn't find it grating at all on The Human Equation.

Is it just that album, or does he sing the same on all of them? If the former, what album would people recommend instead?
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
18.09.2010 - 23:27
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Hrothdane on 18.09.2010 at 10:29

I found a copy of Awake for $2 and figured I would try it out, and I just couldn't get into it. LaBrie's voice just ruined the album for me, which is strange considering I didn't find it grating at all on The Human Equation.

Is it just that album, or does he sing the same on all of them? If the former, what album would people recommend instead?

I sorta agree, but I can handle it. After all, it is my favorite Dream Theater album. Um... LaBrie's vocals on Images & Words are very good, imo. Much cleaner and smoother. He doesn't really try to sound metal... Which I think is half of his problem. His vocals on A Change of Seasons are also frickin' STELLAR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrB68BYebKY&feature=related
At 3:30.
19.09.2010 - 01:02
Storchillarn
I think his vocals on Awake are great but I sort of get how people can get annoyed by them because I get really annoyed at his performance on Live at the Marquee where he sings in a similar style as he does on Awake, turned up a few notches. Still, I think he started to sound kind of annoying post-Six Degrees and nowadays it's hard to stand it.
19.09.2010 - 01:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Labrie's vocals are really a love it or hate it kinda thing...it also takes awhile to get into Labrie if you want to get into Dream Theater...I always wonder what Dream Theater would sound with Domminici on vocals...probably slightly better...
01.10.2010 - 17:05
Wyrd
Jeez, even here I find Labrie bashing going on, I just can'y escape it. I admit that he has not always been great live (eg download fest) But in the last tour they had he's sounded even better then he did on the octavarium tour and score. For me personally, I would never had liked DT if not for JLB, but I guess thats just me.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
01.10.2010 - 17:58
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Wyrd on 01.10.2010 at 17:05

Jeez, even here I find Labrie bashing going on, I just can'y escape it.

When I think, "bashing", I think bias insults about someone or something. I don't think anyone has said anything along the lines of this. *shrugs*
01.10.2010 - 22:48
Wyrd
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.10.2010 at 17:58

Written by Wyrd on 01.10.2010 at 17:05

Jeez, even here I find Labrie bashing going on, I just can'y escape it.

When I think, "bashing", I think bias insults about someone or something. I don't think anyone has said anything along the lines of this. *shrugs*

Sorry about that. heavy Criticism is what I should have said. Every one is entitled there opinion on Labrie, and my opinion is always positive about him. and sometimes I think people criticize him a little much. Everyone has good days and bad days, even the other members of DT are not always perfect.
----
01.10.2010 - 23:08
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Wyrd on 01.10.2010 at 22:48

Sorry about that. heavy Criticism is what I should have said. Every one is entitled there opinion on Labrie, and my opinion is always positive about him. and sometimes I think people criticize him a little much. Everyone has good days and bad days, even the other members of DT are not always perfect.

Yeah, but it's waaaay more noticeable with than any other band I've seen live multiple times. I've seen them 3 times. First time, he was fantastic (except for fucking up BIG TIME on Surrounded), second time was pretty meh, and the third time he was destroying my ears... and not in a good way either.
02.10.2010 - 02:25
joaquin
I like DT but i think it would be cooler to listen to it with someone like michael eriksen the one that is gona fill up roy place on the kamelot tour, coz i think JL his just a bit out of fuel.. but i still like his stuff... thats what i think...
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
02.10.2010 - 02:55
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by joaquin on 02.10.2010 at 02:25

I like DT but i think it would be cooler to listen to it with someone like michael eriksen the one that is gona fill up roy place on the kamelot tour, coz i think JL his just a bit out of fuel.. but i still like his stuff... thats what i think...

I have thought the same thing for a while now. I just never knew that was the guy's name. His vocals are so beastly in Circus Maximus. :O
02.10.2010 - 03:09
joaquin
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.10.2010 at 02:55

Written by joaquin on 02.10.2010 at 02:25

I have thought the same thing for a while now. I just never knew that was the guy's name. His vocals are so beastly in Circus Maximus. :O

yeah thats the perfect word beastly! it will fit really but really good on DT.. thats what i think once again
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
02.10.2010 - 22:01
Wyrd
*Sigh* I just can't see anyone else that would sing for DT. I as a big Dream Theater fan I'll take LaBrie's side through the good and shit performances. I hoping that through all the criticism he will be with DT for many years to came.
----
03.10.2010 - 13:26
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Labrie's vocals are good, but he could be replaced by quite a lot of good singers. There's nothing especially unique about his singing after all.
03.10.2010 - 20:17
Wyrd
I'm going to have to completely disagree with you their, my friend, I find JLB's vocals some of the most unique and moving in melodic metal, but thats just me I guess . Lets hope that MP is the only member they will have to replace.
----