Metal Storm logo
Volbeat

15.06.2009 - 15:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This band is very weird... there's lyrics and some parts that wouldn't seem out of place in a Good Charlotte song(Back to Prom to name just one track) but then again there's also some fucking TRAD DOOM/Heaven and Hell or something (Find that Soul), thrash metal like old Metallica(Wild Rover), even a bit of Manowar-like aggressive instrumentation(Devil or the Blue Cat Song on their 2007 album)

that being said, i think they are FUCKING AWESOME. one of the best bands i've discovered as of late.

btw i don't see why people don't consider them metal and simply discard them as some 4th rate Sum 41 ripoff...sure, not all their stuff is metal but sometimes they slay HARD... like Mr and Mrs Ness and of course the aforementioned Find that Soul are pretty fucking heavy(crossing the border to Thrash or Trad Doom sometimes)
15.06.2009 - 16:13
Zelse

Saw these guys open for Nightwish back in May. Not bad, really - I didn't like them when I first checked them out online but once I saw them live they really put on a hell of a show. I need to pick up some of their stuff, it was a kickass concert.
16.06.2009 - 11:41
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I love Volbeat. They're such an energetic band and they really give a lot to the audience at their gig. Many people are indeed whining about Volbeat not being metal enough, but I don't care as long as the music sounds great to me. They combine so many different styles in their music that I can always find something new in their albums. Personally I like their second album most, but the other 2 are good too. I should see them live twice this summer and I've already been at their gig once this year.
----
You'll never walk alone.
16.06.2009 - 15:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernotar on 16.06.2009 at 11:41

I love Volbeat. They're such an energetic band and they really give a lot to the audience at their gig. Many people are indeed whining about Volbeat not being metal enough, but I don't care as long as the music sounds great to me

yeah, that and they deny how heavy they can sound sometimes(if that is even relevant as long as the music is good, i too don't think i need to like it if it's crushing or something) - i've mentioned some tracks in the first post...

generally (when it comes to their "metal" songs) i love how they can balance such a heavy guitar tone and rough vocals with an extremely fun attitude, they must be a beast to see live, one of way too many bands i wanna catch at Wacken this year.

my favorite quote by them is:
"the speaker is blasting Metallica tunes
Ride the Lightning oh yeaa!!"

EDIT holy shit i checked the running order for Wacken and it seems that In Extremo and Volbeat are playing back to back! it's almost a dream come true for me 2 of the many new bands i've listened to these days(as i felt compelled to listen to them because i'm gonna catch them there)
17.06.2009 - 18:26
GT
Coffee!!
Guess I'll be seeing you at their Wacken show then Valentin

I like Volbeat quite a bit, but I've never heard them live unfortunately. The few times they played near here the tickets have either been sold out in seconds or been ridiculously expensive or both. They're really popular here in Denmark and their music gets quite a bit of air time on the radio stations. But it's always their boring songs like "A Garden's Tale" and "Mary Ann's Place" and I'm guessing the reason for that is that those songs feature artists famous in Denmark. They never play any of the faster and heavier songs

I don't think that I have any favourite song by them, but I really enjoy "Pool Of Booze, Booze, Booza", the two Soulweeper and "Mr. and Mrs. Ness"
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
20.06.2009 - 13:03
The War Within
Account deleted
One of my favorite bands.. Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil.. is my favorite album by them

can't wait to see them at wacken
20.06.2009 - 14:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by GT on 17.06.2009 at 18:26

Guess I'll be seeing you at their Wacken show then Valentin

i'll be somewhere in the front, dancing and shouting like a retarded hobo if you recognize me though feel free to give me a shout

damn, i know i've said this once before, but the third day of WOA is looking really fine for me, after a great start with Rage and Cathedral, a nice little food/beer break before 2 of the best party-bands on the billing, In Extremo and then Volbeat, play back to back.. excellent.
20.06.2009 - 16:22
Bobby_Loggins
Account deleted
Yeh Volbeat are awesome. Great festival band!
21.06.2009 - 14:06
brapp32

I like these guys. I only heard a song or two by them but I enjoyed it. Their albums are stories right?
22.06.2009 - 19:17
IronAngel

They're pretty big in Finland. One must have a pretty narrow view of metal not to consider them metal. They're widely considered a metal band, though the they do play in that gray area between clear genres.

I rather like them. I haven't listened to a whole lot of their latest album, but two first are catchy and quite interesting. OK, they're not the most complicated of composers, and they do sound quite similar throughout their work, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They're good car/party music, and I bet they'll rock live (seeing them twice I think, in Ruisrock and Ankkarock). I probably wouldn't buy their album, sit down with earphones and listen to it all the way through at home, but I won't pass an opportunity to catch them on stage.
23.06.2009 - 11:39
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Just got back from Hellfest, Volbeat was awesome. I was in the front row and the atmosphere in the audience was incredible. Although most of the people in the front row were Finns and Germans...I guess French people haven't really found Volbeat yet. Too bad they only had 40 minutes time to play. Just when the gig was on its best, they had to quit. But I'll see them in Tuska on Sunday, can't wait.
----
You'll never walk alone.
23.06.2009 - 11:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ernotar on 23.06.2009 at 11:39

Just got back from Hellfest, Volbeat was awesome. I was in the front row and the atmosphere in the audience was incredible. Although most of the people in the front row were Finns and Germans...I guess French people haven't really found Volbeat yet. Too bad they only had 40 minutes time to play. Just when the gig was on its best, they had to quit. But I'll see them in Tuska on Sunday, can't wait.

Volbeat was indeed great, saw a bit of it in the crowd and heard the rest of the set in the press area. Btw loved their part of South Of Heaven cover. I was also surprised to see almost no French people in the crowd whereas the band is an immensely popular live band here in The Netherlands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.06.2009 - 14:36
Silent Jay

What happens when Elvis Presley rises from the dead and starts playing Metal? VOLBEAT!

I've really gotten into Volbeat since I first heard them a couple of years ago. I first thought it wasn't my cup of Tea at all but they seem to have this vibe about them that I just couldn't just write them off. Now after listening to them more I've come to love them and I'm very fucking jealous of all of you who have seen them and will see them (Especially at Wacken ><).

Random bit of trivia for you though. Their band name is taken from the album 'Vol. Beat' by Michael Poulsen's (Vocals, Guitar) former Death Metal band 'Dominus'. "Vol" stands for volume while "Beat" stands for rhythm, which I think suites pretty perfectly.
09.07.2009 - 09:10
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I just have to say Volbeat were brilliant in Tuska too, so if anyone is gonna see them later this summer, they are definitely doing great shows at the moment and there's no need to worry about their performance.

They also played one new song, which sounded very good. They'll go to studio soon to record some new material.
----
You'll never walk alone.
09.07.2009 - 16:28
IronAngel

Saw them in Ruisrock. The new song didn't impress me. It was rock'n'roll oriented, like the third album. All their three albums have very distinct styles, I've come to realize, and this one was a bit too far from the rough debut or the bombastic Devil/Rebel.

They were pretty good, though. I didn't much care for the excessive sucking up to the audience, but I guess it's understandable for a foreign band who're performing for a huge audience in the first country they just got a gold record in. (Apart from Denmark, of course.) I've seen better metal shows, but they certainly beat Stratovarius and In Flames, the other two metal acts in the festival.
10.07.2009 - 21:07
Janne
Hugin
Great band. I love their album Rock The Rebel / Metal The Devil. All songs on it are so fresh and powerful. I always get happy when listening to it
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
13.07.2009 - 20:38
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I dunno, I must be the misfit her but i think Volbeat is a pile of steaming sheep poop on a cold Scottish wetland. Its like Elvis trying to be metal only it comes across as very bland and uninspired powerchord raping. Honestly I cannot see the big hoo-hah about these guys, to me possibly the most over-hyped band in recent memory.
14.07.2009 - 17:01
IronAngel

They're over-hyped, that's for sure. They're relatively easy to get into, so they've gotten a lot of radio play. I guess I can see how that might put off some people, but I try to minimize the effect hype has on me, one way or the other. They're not as amazing as they're made out to be, but I think they're fine. More interesting than the average power/heavy metal that comes out these days.
15.07.2009 - 11:37
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I think Volbeat is the kind of band that you either love or hate. There are average bands that you can listen to, but not really like - Volbeat just isn't one of those. I understand it, when people talk about Volbeat being over-hyped...in a way they certainly are.

And great news for me...Volbeat comes to Ankkarock, so I'll see them one more time this summer, on the 2nd of August.
----
You'll never walk alone.
15.07.2009 - 15:02
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ernotar on 15.07.2009 at 11:37

I think Volbeat is the kind of band that you either love or hate. There are average bands that you can listen to, but not really like - Volbeat just isn't one of those. I understand it, when people talk about Volbeat being over-hyped...in a way they certainly are.

And great news for me...Volbeat comes to Ankkarock, so I'll see them one more time this summer, on the 2nd of August.

I disagree. I'm not a fan of them but sometimes it's good to listen to them. So we can say it's an avarage band for me
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.07.2009 - 17:04
IronAngel

In fact, I don't think there are bands that people worldwide either love or hate. That's something fanatic fans say to defend against haters, or haters say to compromise with the fans.

For me, Volbeat is very "average": it's good fun, it catches my ear on the radio, it's good stuff to headbang to live, but it certainly hasn't broadened my horizons or awoken any deep sensations within me that the truly great artists of all genres do. It's a purely subjective experience, of course.
11.03.2010 - 12:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
They seem to be coming round my home town in the summer, i actually forgot how awesome i considered them. they are a really great band. i love how they find that awesome headbanging balance between ultra-catchy choruses and HEAVY AS FUCK riffs. best example would be the title track from their last album, the ending is nothing short of epic as FUCK.
25.03.2010 - 20:36
ja-vi

I saw them once opening for Megadeth. It was just plain awful, I couldn't watch their performance till the end. The songs sound almost the same, and the singer sounds like a poor man's Glenn Danzig...
28.03.2010 - 10:32
Susan
Smeghead
LOVE this band. Just purely fun, amazing music. It's nice to see bands who don't take themselves too seriously. Rock the Rebel / Metal the Devil is one of the best albums that came out this past decade, for sure. I'm glad that they're actually "big" somewhere and get radio play!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
17.09.2010 - 06:12
Susan
Smeghead
New album is OUT! Who else is listening? It's sounding great so far.

BTW, I also can't understand how Volbeat could be considered not metal by anyone. They're eclectic for sure but always within the foundations of metal. Too much fun for some I suppose
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
17.09.2010 - 10:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Susan on 17.09.2010 at 06:12

New album is OUT! Who else is listening? It's sounding great so far.

BTW, I also can't understand how Volbeat could be considered not metal by anyone. They're eclectic for sure but always within the foundations of metal. Too much fun for some I suppose

I thinnk Volbeat are great and metal as well. And live they are a lot better than on album. And like you said, they are a lot of fun.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.09.2010 - 11:42
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Some of their songs sound a bit like Therapy? and that is a good thing in my book.
17.12.2011 - 18:35
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys

Just so you know, your band is a Pokémon.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
22.12.2011 - 02:32
Susan
Smeghead
^Yeah the first album doesn't stand much against the others, which are amazing.

So I heard Volbeat on some American rock radio station in the south the other day. Really blew my mind! I actually heard them twice in two days. Didn't Dave Mustaine or something like "discover" them recently for American audiences? Awesome. Either way, they're finally getting some attention on THIS side of the pond, which is pretty sweet (if not years late).
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
15.08.2012 - 06:23
Urizen367

I really enjoy this band. personally i think it's bad ass that the singer (michael poulsen) has a tattoo of Hypocrisy's logo!

----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.