03. Suspended Animation
04. The Trauma
05. Chronic Infection
06. Out Of The Body
07. Echoes Of Death
08. Deify Thy Master
09. Proliferous Souls
10. Reduced To Ashes

Well here we go, the old school of death metal in it's purest form, Consuming impulse is a very talented album, in fact Pestilence (at least their line-up till consuming impulse) were more talented than any Death Metal Band known in that time, and also the most brutal ones.

Ok, now for the review stuff, Consuming Impulse is a great piece of work every song in this album pushes the envelope known in metal, experimental songs (not as experimental as in other albums but that's good believe me), catchy riffs, spectacular playing techniques, and the best vocals I've ever heard in Metal (too bad Martin left the band to join Asphyx, he was great indeed).

To catch only a glimpse of what this record is, hear the powerful, the great, the monster, "The Process Of Suffocation" this one will really blow your mind off, this song has everything, nice lyrics, insane drumming (spectacular double bass), one hell of a guitar solo in the middle, and there's even silent parts that give this song a fantastic environment. Another song you should check out is "The Trauma" this song is of what I was talking about above (about the experimental songs) there are some synthesizer or keyboards parts that give the song a weird jazzy style (this may sound weird but it's true) and background vocals that resemble something like Doom Metal (for the atmosphere), but along with those elements "The Trauma" is a Great song, in fact, every song is a prove of the intelligence and performance of this musicians.

The cover art is simple but not bad, it shows the face of a guy being skinned by some carnivorous ants, but if you ask me, I prefer a straightforward cover with lack of blood but direct in a way and with blasting music, than those covers filled with gore and guts but with lack of imagination and the worse of all, no good playing in the album.

Well this album is a classic in Death Metal, and I am sure that Death Metal fans out there have already a copy of this one, so I will not say anything about buying this album, Consuming Impulse will always have a little space in all of our hearts, this album is a reminder of what pure Death Metal Was, that 80's Death sound that we all miss and plead for it's return.

Written by Herzebeth | 15.09.2004

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 165 users
16.07.2006 - 02:36
Rating: 10
Mega-Slayer

I cant not say enough about this album,I would define it as brutal death metal for sure.You wont have to force yourself to bang your head on this one,It is insane and killer all the way throughout the album.Checkout tracks "Dehydrated","Echoes Of Death", and "Chronic Infection".So do yourself a favor and get this album as soon as possible.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
22.06.2007 - 00:19
Pinusar
Account deleted
The first time I listened to Consuming Impulse, I found it nothing special but maybe I listened absent-mindedly and was not used to such style. However, from each listen after that I found it greater and greater until I thought it was amazing. I couldn't resist headbanging when I heard it.

One little interesting thing for me about this album is that unlike a lot of death metal bands that sing about dying a gory death through butchering etc., the song titles on this album ar rather creative compared to that like Dehydration, the Process of Suffocation, Chronic Infection etc.

The songs are so pleasantly heavy and create a fantastic feel, especially the kind of straining vocals, such as I haven't heard before. I also like the riffs, they are a bit hypnotic at times.

Great album indeed, I agree.
29.12.2007 - 12:38
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Next potential pick on my collection along with the 'Testimony of the Ancients'. I'm Glad Roadrunner has made a double release of them.

I thought to start asking it here cause the band has no current profile in Metalstorm, but is starred by the same legendary Martin Van Drunen.
Is there any ASPHYX fans here? Just thought to ask your opinnions of 'The Rack' album. Are other songs on the album as good as 'Pages in blood' what you can hear in it's myspace. I got into this band through Pestilence in a quite short time but I really find it my kind of music. I just need some more info and opinnions, if this is a right place to ask ?
29.12.2007 - 13:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 29.12.2007 at 12:38

Next potential pick on my collection along with the 'Testimony of the Ancients'. I'm Glad Roadrunner has made a double release of them.

I thought to start asking it here cause the band has no current profile in Metalstorm, but is starred by the same legendary Martin Van Drunen.
Is there any ASPHYX fans here? Just thought to ask your opinnions of 'The Rack' album. Are other songs on the album as good as 'Pages in blood' what you can hear in it's myspace. I got into this band through Pestilence in a quite short time but I really find it my kind of music. I just need some more info and opinnions, if this is a right place to ask ?

Of course there are Asphyx fans here, here's one actually saw them live on December 1st and they totally fucking slayed the place to threads, every single person in the 1300 strong audiensce was mightily impressed, especially by Van Drunen's vocal performance.
IMO The Rack and Last One On Earth are their best albums, and but have been re-released by Century Media in 2006 and include bonus material.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.12.2007 - 16:11
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.12.2007 at 13:44

Written by Guest on 29.12.2007 at 12:38

Of course there are Asphyx fans here, here's one actually saw them live on December 1st and they totally fucking slayed the place to threads, every single person in the 1300 strong audiensce was mightily impressed, especially by Van Drunen's vocal performance.
IMO The Rack and Last One On Earth are their best albums, and but have been re-released by Century Media in 2006 and include bonus material.

Okay Thanks. Seems that finnish Recordshopx already has these two masterpieces in store. Hope we'll see this band in Finland in the future. Some club gig would be a killer. Neck-killer that is
04.05.2008 - 15:33
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
this was one of Varg Vikernes favourite bands so
04.05.2008 - 22:11
Damnated
Churchburner
this has to be the best death metal album ever released. can't understand why this band is so unknown. such a shame.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.05.2008 - 22:39
Rating: 9
Inlé

I wouldn't say they are unknown to be fair, not among the people who like the old school DM anyway.

Anyway yeah legendary album right here, their best possibly although all their others (even Spheres) are fantastic too.

I've always liked the cover too. lol
03.07.2009 - 13:43
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
The fuckin right rating for one of the most classic DM albums!!! all songs are really KILLER except maybe last 3. but even those are very good!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
26.08.2009 - 08:04
GamlaSonn

Written by Metalhead2 on 04.05.2008 at 15:33

who cares what he thinks..
31.10.2009 - 22:20
NiederHaven

The best DM album of all time!!!
18.05.2010 - 18:02
deadshepherd666

About the cover art. According to an interview with Martin Van Drunen (http://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/interviews/vandrunen.htm) the cover art for the album was provided by Roadrunner and was not the original cover intended for the album. Martin Van Drunen made this comment about the artwork:
"Yeah, definitely, it was far too extreme. I still have a T-shirt with the original design on it. You could see a mass of people who were eating each other. When you would look at it closely you could see women who were eating arms of other persons, others who were cutting with knives in other's brain, one mass of heads, legs and arms. We sent that design to Roadrunner and they didn't accept it. When the album came out, it had this 'ants-design' on the cover and we were just shocked. The Roadrunner staff said something like ' We didn't approve the original design and you didn't come up with anything else so we chose a cover ourselves'. And there we stood with the stupid design. I think it was really something... that your own record-company censored your cover and your ideas and even didn't sit together and negotioated with you. They just did what they thought was right."
27.10.2010 - 22:47
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Metalhead2 on 04.05.2008 at 15:33

+2

Hits total: 10538 | This month: 25