Chopin
Paganini
Schumann
Schubert

Total votes: 66
26.06.2009 - 21:50
Yossarian

Hi. I don't know why, but I love polls.

I have recently taken some classical music from my girlfriend hard disk, cos I have just classical in vinyls and the idea of creating a poll here came to my mind.

It is widely admitted that, despite the obvious great differences, metal is the music style more close to classical music as regards skill, complication and feeling, so many metalheads like classical and understand a lot about it, above all if you can play.

I have always been a huge fan of Classical after some Spanish heavy metal bands back in the 80's considered Beethoven -Barón Rojo- and Bach -Obús-, as the main influence for metal in their opinions... well that is open to discussion, since, if Jimi Hendrix would not have created or made popular the distortion, metal would not be so metallic and blues-rock was the most immediate trigger.

Nevertheless, coming back again to the topic. I know that some of you have not heard some of the ones in the list and some others like another composers not reflected. To begin with, I have not considered classical artists mostly working in opera and the like, so there is no Verdi, Wagner... Secondly, there can be only 9 choices, so I have not been able to put many that I like a lot such as Listz, Brahms, Tchaikovski or Debussy.
Besides, I have include "Mozart" for his importance, though I don't like him very much, since he abused of Mayor scales and chords and I prefer Minor Tones, since they evoke more feeling, sadness, mystery...metal.

Alright. To finish. I hope you will like this poll. I will put my choice in some days after revising Beethoven and Bach "discography". Both of them are my favourite ones alike. Hard to decide.
26.06.2009 - 22:53
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I've only listened to few of Mozart and Beethoven songs, i guess i liked Mozart's music more
27.06.2009 - 10:01
Hamird
Lieutenant
It's hard to choose one. Though it hasn't included some other great composers such as Strauss, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Verdi and others.
My personal favorite composers are J. Strauss, Vivaldi and Franz Schubert.. And as I said before in Classical music thread, I like Vivaldi more.. Mainly because he done Baroque music, and his music was somehow heavier than other Classical musics I've ever listened to. His "Four Seasons" is my favorite pieces of his music..
27.06.2009 - 10:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Torn and not sure.

i really do like Grieg (not amongst your listed composers) - and in the 'song played at your funeral' opted for his composition, Aase's Death. had i heard more of his, he might be my favorite. in the mean time, he's like the metal band you've only heard one release from... difficult to call them your fave against seasoned vets who've put out a number of albums you like.

Mozart and Beethoven i have heard more from. Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Holst, Brahms are all others my mother has exposed me to that i enjoy. i also love what little Vivaldi i have heard because of the strings.

voting other - GRIEG mainly because of Aase's Death. it is my favorite piece and trumps the fact i've heard more from others.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.06.2009 - 14:41
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I love polls to!!!

fuck i have heard only Bach (and he is good!) and some other songs generally which i dont know who composed them... to when i'll decide to give classical music a higher place in my preferences i am surely going to vote here!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.06.2009 - 16:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
I guess "other" is gonna win
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.06.2009 - 19:28
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Has to be Beethoven, I've always associated metal with classical music and Beethoven is probably the most influencial. I must admit I also love Bach and Mozart (he's like the Dio of Classical music, immense).

I also think Wagner should have been included as he wrote a lot of work about the Arthurian legends which were a major influence on any piece of modern medieval fantasy. You just need to look how much Tolkien has inspired the metal scene to see how similar Wagner's themes were.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
28.06.2009 - 23:44
Deadsoulman

I'll vote for Other as my favourite (well, as BitterCOld said, it's rather hard to say someone's your favourite when you haven't heard that much of his works) is Antonín Dvořák.

I've never been a big fan of classical music, although I've been exposed quite a lot to it when I was a kid because my mom loved it, especially Mozart, Bach, Wagner and Beethoven. I kind of dislike all these composers. A few months ago I decided to give classical music another chance and grabbed a lot of stuff at home. Dvořák is the only one that really appealed to me. The New World Symphony is some of the most intense music I've ever heard, and I also love the Slavonic Dances. Other stuff I found interesting were Haendel, Haydn (I love organ music), Mahler and Tchaikovsky for instance.
01.07.2009 - 18:39
cmusiclives
Account deleted
Takashi yoshimatsu
01.07.2009 - 23:28
Yossarian

Written by Elio on 27.06.2009 at 16:18

I guess "other" is gonna win

You are wrong. "Another" is going to win. LOL.
02.07.2009 - 00:12
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I've voted "another" as well - my favourite is Serghei Rachmaninoff.
06.07.2009 - 23:48
Derwood

J S Bach (let's be clear, there was more than one Bach) is my favourite classical composer. His revolutionary work with counterpoint is still influencing composers (and more than a few metal musicians) to this day. Find a copy of his "Tocatta and Fugue in D minor" for a premiere example. Paginini is a close second for me because the violin is my favourite classical instrument; so amazingly expressive.

I'm surprised Tchaikovsky is not one of the available choices. For my money any man of his era who thought cannons were a percussion instrument is at the forefornt of those in the running for world's first metal head. Check out his "1812 Overture."

For opera, Wagner is by far my favourite. Anyone who resonates with Norse mythology can choose no other. His Ring Cycle is a collection of the most amazing music ever composed when taken in its entirety. His groundbreaking use and development of leitmotif continues to influence composers of concept albums today.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
07.07.2009 - 10:54
Hellkommando

Wagner and I also quite like Vivaldi too.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
07.07.2009 - 11:46
Smurfophagist

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1LuhiGwvA&feature=related absolutely unbeatable. pay attention to the modulation in the beginning.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
07.07.2009 - 19:00
Yossarian

Written by Derwood on 06.07.2009 at 23:48

J S Bach (let's be clear, there was more than one Bach)

I'm surprised Tchaikovsky is not one of the available choices.

I know that there is more than one Bach, but I think that everybody realised that I was referring to Johan Sebastian. It is as if I speak about Zappa as influence for guitarists, we will be all thinking in Frank, not in Dwezil.

About Tchaikovsky. It is a pity that there is only 8 choices in MS. I was itching for including Brahms, and then Tchaikovsky, but I would have to exclude some of the others. The borderline was including Schumann, Paganini or Brahms and Tchaikovsky. I thought that Schumann and Paganini were perhaps better known for metalheads -Paganini for its speed and for our almost global like of violin sound- and Schumann is as famous as Tchaikovsky and more than Brahms.

Well, I always regret some of my choices after creating a poll.
08.07.2009 - 04:11
Derwood

Written by Yossarian on 07.07.2009 at 19:00

I know that there is more than one Bach, but I think that everybody realised that I was referring to Johan Sebastian. It is as if I speak about Zappa as influence for guitarists, we will be all thinking in Frank, not in Dwezil.

Fair enough.

Written by Yossarian on 07.07.2009 at 19:00

About Tchaikovsky. It is a pity that there is only 8 choices in MS. I was itching for including Brahms, and then Tchaikovsky, but I would have to exclude some of the others. The borderline was including Schumann, Paganini or Brahms and Tchaikovsky. I thought that Schumann and Paganini were perhaps better known for metalheads -Paganini for its speed and for our almost global like of violin sound- and Schumann is as famous as Tchaikovsky and more than Brahms.

Well, I always regret some of my choices after creating a poll.

Yes, limits like that can be a pain, but I guess they have to be there or some of these polls would be ridiculous for choice.

You're right about Paginini. I must have seen at least four different tabs for palying "Jesu: Joy of Man's Desiring" in guitar magazines over the years. A band I used to play with 15 years ago was actually working on Motzart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik." We never tried it on stage, but it was always fun in rehearsal.

I have to admit, of all the composers you listed, Schumann is the one I'm least familiar with. I'm far more familiar with Tchaikovsky and Brahms. I bet regional differences come into play in that regard.
----
09.07.2009 - 22:26
IronAngel

You could do another poll, seperating Classical, Baroque and Romantic. Those are pretty major categories that are (incorrectly) lumped under Classical.

Personally, I like Tchaikovsky a lot. Rachmaninov too. Russians have a sense for the majestetic, both in music and in literature.
10.07.2009 - 02:01
routa
Account deleted
Written by Derwood on 08.07.2009 at 04:11

You're right about Paginini. I must have seen at least four different tabs for palying "Jesu: Joy of Man's Desiring" in guitar magazines over the years.

Pardon me, but that's composed by J. S. Bach.
10.07.2009 - 04:40
Derwood

Written by Guest on 10.07.2009 at 02:01

You're right about Paginini. I must have seen at least four different tabs for palying "Jesu: Joy of Man's Desiring" in guitar magazines over the years.

Damnit, I knew it didn't seem right when I typed it. Now I'm going to have to dig out my old guitar mags to figure out which Paganini piece it was. At least I never claimed to be perfect.

I do have a couple tabs for the Bach piece, as well.
----
10.07.2009 - 06:14
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I am another who has heard a variety of composers, but not in depth so chooing a favourite would be hard.
I really enjoy "24 Caprices, Op. 1 -No.24 in A minor" by Nicolò Paganini, "Tocatta and Fugue in D minor" by J.S.Bach and "The Four Seaons" by Antonio Vivaldi.
10.07.2009 - 14:53
routa
Account deleted
Written by Derwood on 10.07.2009 at 04:40

Written by Guest on 10.07.2009 at 02:01

Damnit, I knew it didn't seem right when I typed it. Now I'm going to have to dig out my old guitar mags to figure out which Paganini piece it was. At least I never claimed to be perfect.

I do have a couple tabs for the Bach piece, as well.

Heh, to err is human. I should probably dig some notes up too and start practicing... /OT
20.08.2009 - 15:04
DayFly

Come to think of it, polls generally suck and this one is honestly no exception (no offense). They are seldom able to cover the entire spectrum of a given topic and an "ANOTHER" button is really a poor remedy. And additionally, they kind of hamper discussion instead of encouraging it.
24.08.2009 - 03:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
As someone said earlier, you should have created separate polls for baroque, classical, romantic and 20th century
It's much easier for me to list my favs that way

Baroque: Bach [Fugue in G minor for solo violin performed by Henry Szcheryng (R.I.P.) is my all time favourite track , the bit from 1 min and 56 sec was an inspiration to my playing] & Vivaldi
Classical: don't really like the period as a whole, probably been forced to play many piano pieces of the era when I was young... though I acknowledge the greatness and influence of Mozart and Beethoven
Romantic: Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Debussy (Clare De Lune is my favourite piano piece, also featured at the end of the film Ocean's Eleven)
20th Century: Gershwin, G. Holst
----
loves 小巫
27.08.2009 - 21:34
Yossarian

Written by Ag Fox on 24.08.2009 at 03:35

As someone said earlier, you should have created separate polls for baroque, classical, romantic and 20th century

Baroque: Bach [Fugue in G minor for solo violin performed by Henry Szcheryng (R.I.P.) is my all time favourite track , the bit from 1 min and 56 sec was an inspiration to my playing] & Vivaldi
Classical: don't really like the period as a whole, probably been forced to play many piano pieces of the era when I was young... though I acknowledge the greatness and influence of Mozart and Beethoven
Romantic: Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Debussy (Clare De Lune is my favourite piano piece, also featured at the end of the film Ocean's Eleven)

Yes, you are right, but I am not so keen on classical as in Metal and as this is a metal music page, I just thought that it was enough to have just permission to speak about another music styles, so I decided not to get into depths with the topic establishing sub-styles. Anyways, I don't like and don't know any other baroque except Bach -I don't know how is Vivaldi considered- and I don't like romantics very much except Chopin.
As for 20th Century, I consider that Metal is -in a way, of course- the real continuation for classical, the son of Beethoven. I can't stand any 20th century classical composers.
Around 600 hundred years of ideas came almost to an end in the 19th century and another instruments and approach were needed. No other music style as metal is so aggressive as Beethoven or Tchaikovski. Now, a kinda joke... My favourite classical 20th century composer is Lord Steve Harris.
27.08.2009 - 21:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Yossarian on 27.08.2009 at 21:34

Yes, you are right, but I am not so keen on classical as in Metal and as this is a metal music page, I just thought that it was enough to have just permission to speak about another music styles, so I decided not to get into depths with the topic establishing sub-styles. Anyways, I don't like and don't know any other baroque except Bach -I don't know how is Vivaldi considered- and I don't like romantics very much except Chopin.
As for 20th Century, I consider that Metal is -in a way, of course- the real continuation for classical, the son of Beethoven. I can't stand any 20th century classical composers.
Around 600 hundred years of ideas came almost to an end in the 19th century and another instruments and approach were needed. No other music style as metal is so aggressive as Beethoven or Tchaikovski. Now, a kinda joke... My favourite classical 20th century composer is Lord Steve Harris.
don't worry about it. but it's just like opening up a thread saying which is your fav metal band, where it could have been easier if you just had separate threads on death, thrash, industrial, power etc
For vivaldi, try four seasons. Winter and Spring are probably the most famous
you only like chopin in the romantic period? you can like beethoven and not like Dvorak's new world symphony? you should try if you haven't
----
loves 小巫
31.08.2009 - 20:22
Galar
Wicked Mung
WHERE IS tchaikovsky? show the man some love...
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
01.09.2009 - 02:02
ß
Problem?
Damn, this is a hard one, I love all those composers mentioned but my favourite would probably be Antonín Dvořák.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
01.09.2009 - 02:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Galar on 31.08.2009 at 20:22

WHERE IS tchaikovsky? show the man some love...
1812 is one of my all time fav, especially the flute solo [=
----
loves 小巫
03.09.2009 - 15:35
Yossarian

Written by Ag Fox on 27.08.2009 at 21:45

Written by Yossarian on 27.08.2009 at 21:34

don't worry about it. but it's just like opening up a thread saying which is your fav metal band, where it could have been easier if you just had separate threads on death, thrash, industrial, power etc
For vivaldi, try four seasons. Winter and Spring are probably the most famous
you only like chopin in the romantic period? you can like beethoven and not like Dvorak's new world symphony? you should try if you haven't

Thanks for the recomendations, but I have heard already Vivaldi and Dvorak. I said that I don't know how is Vivaldi mainly considered -whether classical or baroque-, but I know him from long ago.
As for Dvorak, I can't explain why, but I don't like him...and it does not sound as Beethoven to me.
As for Romantics, I have listened Debussy, some spaniards and they are too "romantic".
Anyways, thanks for commenting in the post. Your appreciations are quite intelligent and interesting.
03.09.2009 - 16:05
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Hehe, no worries
The reason why I like Debussy is because of the continuous flow he manages to compose the music with v memorable tunes.
Holst and Gershwin should be considered too. I'm sure you have heard of their music in one way or another without you realising.
Holst - Mars (from the Planet Suite Op 32) (ignore the stupid video, it's just the music) this music crops up in TV shows/cartoons or movies all the time
Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
for Romantics, you should try the Russians, other than Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov makes wonderful music too (Sheherazade is my fav, retells the Arabian Nights), besides, Beethoven's later works is actually Romantic
----
loves 小巫