Metal Storm logo
What Inspires Your Creativity?

02.07.2009 - 01:05
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
For those of you that call yourselves artists, be it painting, photography or anything in between, let this be a thread to discuss your inspirations of creativity. one word responses are not acceptable without substantiation.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.07.2009 - 01:22
tulkas
el parcero
For me inspiration just comes. It can be from anything, a song I'm listening to, something on tv I hear or watch, and even when I'm in class at university and the teacher says something, or is talking about something, things to write about just pop in my head. I then write down the general idea on a notebook or wherever I can, and later, when I have time, I'll write it properly and have myself usually a short story, and not so usually a poem. Poetry is really hard for me, I don't know why.

I sometimes get ideas for photography, but I'm no photographer, so that just goes to waste; same with painting. I have the painting skills of a 4 yr old kid
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
02.07.2009 - 18:00
Jan Destiny

Metal music and Nature. These are the main inspirations for me for writing and photography.
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)
03.07.2009 - 10:27
Peuranpuolikas

Countless things... Metal, books that I read, nature (winter, summer forest etc.), some people/characters... etc.
----
Look, The old Bitch is back!
06.07.2009 - 13:37
AbdelioR

For me inspiration comes too. I like fantasy characters, blood, evil things... so when I see a possible photo to manipulate (I like to manipulate photos and transform people into a vamp, elve or other things) I look it and the final work comes to my mind, then I start it.
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
06.07.2009 - 21:23
Torelli

When it comes to writing, people and discussions along with the reflections of it usually is the main insperation source. When it comes to painting music is preferable.
26.08.2009 - 18:18
Njord
njord
The main source it's "inspiration just comes", but somehow I can cast it sometimes. It's like "I want to write something about that" and I begin to do it, despite doesn't have many ideas about it. After I start to write the ideas begin to appear, the hard job it's to mix them in a good way. I delete many times something I though it was brilliant just moments before. It's pretty confusing but I manage it well.
26.08.2009 - 18:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I cannot tell where it comes from either...simply some days i do a lot of stuff and then nothing, sometimes even weeks...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.11.2009 - 11:53
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
I get inspired when I listen to my friend's 'piano pieces' if you would call it.
He sends me his stuff and I usually dwell in music. How I feel, what I see, where I am...and so forth.
Of course this is just for drawing some random stuff.

As for writing. I get inspired by events that occur. Just the feelings that occur afterwards. Obviously.

Only sometimes when I hear my friend's music. Its usually when I make lyrics to that song and how the vocals will go with that song. I'm really a newbie at these 'artistic' areas. =P
06.11.2009 - 00:02
Warlock84

My inspiration comes from the world around me and my experiences therein. Whether it be an acoustic piece, artwork, or poem I am writing for someone I love, or a crushing metal tune with my band about the slow decay of our social structure, all of my influence comes from what I have seen and experienced. I can turn on the 5 o'clock news and become immediately furious with the faults of my country and the violence in my city and express my views of it through art and music, or simply watch a sunset with my girl and make something beautiful in honor of those subtle moments we so often take for granted.

Most of what I write, musically or lyrically, comes from all that gets stored up inside- all the emotion, heartache, and pain i've ever endured as well as all the love I feel and have been shown. There are certain things you just can't put into words sometimes.

And other times... it just happens and I can't explain where the hell it comes from.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
07.11.2009 - 14:54
Archetype

For me, inspiration comes from daily life as well as the people I know. Whether a positive or negative event or occurrence - the emotion associated with it is usually enough to come up with something as far as writing or music goes. Nature itself and the different seasons are also inspiring as they can be associated with different thoughts and feelings and can be used metaphorically to express a certain point or convey a certain feeling.
11.11.2009 - 09:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
What inspires me? the coldness of the dark northfjords where only grimdarkness dwells and the horned wickedgoatmoonofcrimsoncolourwhichisbarelyvisiblesinceit'smostlycloudedinnorthernnorwaybutistillsomehowseeit is the sole weak beacon of light.

on a serious note, i don't know, could be anything as far as guitar riffs are concerned, on more occasions than i can count i randomly came up with an awesome riff out of nowhere. as for lyrics, well, mostly they're about history or anti-authority and stuff like that, i don't tend to write about my feelings or whatever.
13.11.2009 - 00:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Many thinks its hard name all, some of are: doom, wine, anti love feelings, lonluness ,cruelty, winter, snow, autumn, falling leaves. walking in swedish forset , bocks, emotions, muisc, emotinal films, emotinal lyrics , medieval towns, autumn in city, aumtumn in country, river, watter , open sea , my house, time, thoughts etc , there many more, each think makes me think, feel, also it insipartes me, when Im alone for example walk some 10KM deep in forset I shood go beck, or I sit in huge stone I think about many thinks, ask quastens, try find asnvers , also if I need walk beck still same way one side diferent thoughts, same way beck other thoughts(only if i know way, if I dont i m lil woried, i know aproximetly local woods, but there soemw ays what i can guess and then I dont think), also road, lonly road when im awake I think, like I sad many thinks and each inspirtate me diferent , sometimes it do smo much I ant criate anything, someties simple silance and bordness make me criate something beautifull(moustly poetry and nota ll is for public sorry dueds).
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.11.2009 - 06:49
kkktookmybaby

I get inspired by musicians such as Buckethead, Klaus Nomi, and pretty much anyone who's music makes my mind run wild. As long as they have varying styles.
13.11.2009 - 06:49
kkktookmybaby

I get inspired by musicians such as Buckethead, Klaus Nomi, and pretty much anyone who's music makes my mind run wild. As long as they have varying styles.
21.11.2009 - 15:24
Roro

Beauty
20.12.2009 - 20:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Photography seems to inspire ma lot, and painting too. But mostly is other literary works.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.12.2009 - 03:46
the stranger

Music in all it's genres. Especially slow played music. Also things that I see on street, general sort of actions that catches my atention. Stuff that happens to me or my friends or to somebody that I know. Books I read. Photographs, paintings, movies. Architecture of my city, chaotic traffic, general landscape of my country, ancient ruins, archaeological theory(I'm studing archaeology), the sea nearby, the lack of rain, the absolute gray sky, the sunny sky, the beach and the waves, conversations I have, beautiful faces, ugly faces and I can't think of anything else.
28.01.2010 - 02:25
Misandry

My inspiration, when it strikes, comes around for ridiculous reasons. There will be a certain lighting, or I will be "listening to someone talk", or I could have read a poem or a book, and it will make an image pop up in my head, and bam. Inspiration. Then this insipiration circulates in my head, as if it were a song on loop, until I get it out. And it could manifest in any way; I could write a detailed, lyrical description, or I could sketch it out, or I could set up a photograph, or I could sing a song. I have actually baked and decorated a cake based on this random mental image of another cake in my mind. And that had no inspiration at all - I was literally sitting on my couch, waiting for someone to come over, and there the thought was.

Another inspiration is when I see something that I don't like. That's my favorite inspiration - because then I set out to change it through my art. Then it becomes incredibly important to me, and it is at that point that I love art the most.
----
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem." - Stalin
09.06.2012 - 00:00
Stoned Crow

If I can make a paradox out of it, I can play with it. Just because a sentence isn't a true sentence doesn't mean the sentence doesn't exist.
I like this: "What happens when Pinocchio says, 'My nose will grow now'?"

John Donne was inspired by a flea. Pretty much anything can inspire me- the end product is mere an object of expressed idealism- such as Pinocchio and his nose.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
09.06.2012 - 13:44
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Stoned Crow on 09.06.2012 at 00:00

Just because a sentence isn't a true sentence doesn't mean the sentence doesn't exist.

Obviously a sentence which isn't true exists otherwise there would be no sentence upon which to attach truth to therefore making truth meaningless. A sentence which isn't true is one which exists and which is false.
09.06.2012 - 16:01
Stoned Crow

Written by R'Vannith on 09.06.2012 at 13:44

Just because a sentence isn't a true sentence doesn't mean the sentence doesn't exist.

Obviously a sentence which isn't true exists otherwise there would be no sentence upon which to attach truth to therefore making truth meaningless. A sentence which isn't true is one which exists and which is false.

No truth means everything is true- doesn't it? It's really hard to explain what I mean with my previous comment- but creativity never aims to reproduce what is obvious.
----
09.06.2012 - 16:07
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Stoned Crow on 09.06.2012 at 16:01

Written by R'Vannith on 09.06.2012 at 13:44

No truth means everything is true- doesn't it?

I would say that in order for there to be truth you need falsity, if everything is true, then that would mean there is no falsity. If there is no falsity, I don't think there could be truth, thus everything couldn't possibly be true. So in order for a true sentence to exist you need to know that truth is relative and depends upon the existence of falsity, i.e false sentences.
I think that makes sense
09.06.2012 - 16:25
Stoned Crow

Quote:
Quote:

I would say that in order for there to be truth you need falsity, if everything is true, then that would mean there is no falsity. If there is no falsity, I don't think there could be truth, thus everything couldn't possibly be true. So in order for a true sentence to exist you need to know that truth is relative and depends upon the existence of falsity, i.e false sentences.
I think that makes sense

It makes perfect sense. There are still people who would hear- say- black metal and say "that's not music"- but we both know it is. It kind of coincides with this notion in art theory that either everything is original or nothing is. It's merely a matter of perspective. But, in order to create anew what is true has to be ignored. It's kind of the point behind art- to make something not true- true: like superman. I'm speaking more in lines of creativity, not factual essay-like compositions. For instance- "my heart is a brick" is only understood metaphorically- literally it's not true. So "my heart is a brick" is a false sentence, but in terms of creativity it's able to become true- perspective.
----
09.06.2012 - 16:33
Stoned Crow

Written by Misandry on 28.01.2010 at 02:25

My inspiration, when it strikes, comes around for ridiculous reasons. There will be a certain lighting, or I will be "listening to someone talk", or I could have read a poem or a book, and it will make an image pop up in my head, and bam. Inspiration. Then this insipiration circulates in my head, as if it were a song on loop, until I get it out. And it could manifest in any way; I could write a detailed, lyrical description, or I could sketch it out, or I could set up a photograph, or I could sing a song. I have actually baked and decorated a cake based on this random mental image of another cake in my mind. And that had no inspiration at all - I was literally sitting on my couch, waiting for someone to come over, and there the thought was.

Another inspiration is when I see something that I don't like. That's my favorite inspiration - because then I set out to change it through my art. Then it becomes incredibly important to me, and it is at that point that I love art the most.

Precisely how my mind works; especially the notion of being inspired by what I don't like. Spot on.
----
13.06.2012 - 13:59
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
NATURE...

Isnt the basic design principles all inspired by nature...

The environment has been here on this planet for billions of years and you know it has figure out a way to balance the design and functionality needed...
24.08.2012 - 19:37
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
The best way to get inspired is just to do something and see where it leads to.
For example, I sometimes just start to draw without any idea or goal and as I am drawing I get ideas that might even have nothing to do with the drawing itself, but they're still ideas and that's what it's all about for me.
29.08.2012 - 05:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Nature is a big influence on my writing (music). The vast and harsh wilderness of Nothern Ontario translates to metal quite nicely, I think.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.12.2012 - 05:13
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Looking to the stars
----
07.01.2013 - 21:01
ANGEL REAPER

Music,films and women lately ...
EDIT: and booze...dont forget the booze !
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"