Disc II [Limited Edition DVD Live In Amsterdam]
01. Volte-Face
02. I Turned You Down
03. Reality Dream III
04. Beyond The Eyelids
05. Conceiving You
06. Ultimate Trip
07. 02 Panic Room

This is it! This – this! – is the Riverside that I've been waiting for ever since I heard their first album Out of Myself. This – and not the two albums released meanwhile – is the most worthy successor to the album that had me hooked for weeks and weeks. Not that I have anything bad to say about Second Life Syndrome or Rapid Eye Movement. On the contrary, those were good Riverside albums. But those didn't shine like the first one. Or like this one does. Fresh. Sharp. Bright.

I think there's actually a perfectly natural explanation to all those emotions and feeling about this album. Most likely the key point is that with Rapid Eye Movement Riverside concluded their Reality Dream trilogy and made a brand new start. Not music-wise but concept-wise for, you see, the music hasn't changed all that much. If you'd heard almost any part of this album without introductions, you wouldn't have any trouble guessing the band if you are familiar with Riverside's music at all.

However, it's all in those little details that make this album so excellent. There are three more prominent areas in which you'll notice changes. First, Anno Domini High Definition is a more heavier album than its predecessors. It has a more metal feel to it, although, if you listen closely, it still is somewhere in-between prog-rock and prog-metal. Second, this album feels quite a bit faster than the rest. It's as if they've switched to the next gear and found the drive that I think was missing on two albums before. This one definitely has the drive and it captures you in the rapid currents of the music. Thirdly, there's a change in the keyboard sound that I dig so much. Maybe it's the mellotron. Maybe it's the dirty sounding keyboards. But it was the first thing that, although unconsciously at first, I felt that I enjoyed so much.

As I mentioned, the band started with the new lyrical concept. However, concept being new the motif still remains revolving around social matters. In short, it deals with the fast pace and chaos of the modern life. Reflecting on the subject you'll find that the title couldn't be more fitting, as this modern social chaos did indeed appear with modern technology, symbolically designated with High Definition. And if you reflect more on the subject, lyrics and the music that you hear, you'll find that this whole bundle is very coherent and tight-fitting package. The gloomy, somewhat cold and depressive atmosphere, the fast paced structure of the changing music, interludes of false calm in-between, the feeling of hyperventilation and the sense of having your heart in your mouth. What better band to come up with all this than Riverside? Either one fits the other like a glove.

Riverside is like a knife, possibly a Polish analogue of the Swiss army knife, that has gone through sharpening. They were excellent to begin with and created a brilliant debut album Out of Myself. Then they released two other albums while the blade was good. You can hear that it's very good but it ain't as sharp as it was. Maybe Second Life Syndrome had a better cut than the debut, it didn't have the same edge to it, though. Maybe Rapid Eye Movement was more uniform, it lacked the same spark, however. But now this knife is sharp again. Razor sharp. Possibly this knife is even better than it was brand new. And this is why Anno Domini High Definition has turned out to be so excellent. This new start has definitely taken Riverside's music quite a bit forward.

Written on 08.07.2009 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 28   Visited by: 420 users
08.07.2009 - 23:31
Rating: 10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This is a great review I think. You certainly have your point of view and still compare it to the previous releases, which is a good thing for the fans.

I'm not gona speak a lot about the album per se at this point, I only listened to it once. Let's just say it has the potential to wow me. Also saw the DVD, very enjoyable indeed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.07.2009 - 23:50
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
Yeah man, good review. You managed to explain well why this is album is so good: it's different, and in a good meaning of the word.

And surely the mellotron gives a lot in terms of awesomeness to this release.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.07.2009 - 02:51
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Totally agree with the review. you did the album justice
----
loves 小巫
09.07.2009 - 04:19
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I saw them playing a short show in a music store to promote the release of this album. They were selling advance copies of the album after the show.

Unfortunately... they were so boring live that I didnt feel compelled to pay money for the album at all.
09.07.2009 - 04:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Quote:
Maybe it's the dirty sounding keyboards.

Yes! I can't get enough of those... the kind that you find yourself hearing in your ears ringing hours after listening. Great review, it's like you expressed everything perfectly.
09.07.2009 - 17:52
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Even if I didn't like the album I would still say that this is one of the best reviews I have read in a very long time. The last paragraph was just so well written that it summed up everything so well and was still witty.

By the way, I love this album. I still can't figure out where to put it on my list since I got into Second Life pretty hardcore when it came out.
----
(space for rent)
09.07.2009 - 21:46
Darkside Momo
Retired
I'm discovering Riverside with this album, and at the second listen (at the time of writing I've past the first minute of Driven to Destruction) I'm totally digging it!

And yes, very great review Ivor

With the Kalisia, Dream Theater and Riverside albums, 2009 is great for prog indeed!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
09.07.2009 - 22:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I would agree Darkside Momo, great year for prog. It'll be a tough battle when we have to vote for the best lol
----

My Instagram
10.07.2009 - 03:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by BloodTears on 09.07.2009 at 22:26

I would agree Darkside Momo, great year for prog. It'll be a tough battle when we have to vote for the best lol

Ah, I've already decided, and it'll be Kalisia for me! Even if it's the 6th time I listen to Anno Domini today (and it's the day I discovered it)...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.07.2009 - 15:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I can summon up what the reviewer means to say in one sentence - I have said it all over this website - this is the best studio produced album of the four BY FAR. Finally some commercial success has brought them more money = they can spend more on production. Very simple.
----
rekt
10.07.2009 - 15:54
Resurrected Wolf

OHHHHHHHHH.... I SHOULD GET IT!
RIVERSIDE REALLY ROCKS
11.07.2009 - 16:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I don't know about you guys but "Left Out" is my favourite song so far. It's so Riverside, if you know what I mean.
----

My Instagram
14.07.2009 - 11:42
Harlequin

Very enjoyable record, again. But to name Riverside and Kalisia in one sentence is like comparing a diamond with a plastic bubble..
----
00:40 - Doomface
Mikael Akerfeldt doesn't age like humans do.
27.07.2009 - 17:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
And all the good things you mentioned, Ivor, this album isn't too long. It's 44 minutes long (44:44), and it has five songs. It's just perfect for digesting unlike DT's new offering for instance.

Oh and the cover art is amazing and reflects the theme of the album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.07.2009 - 17:58
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare

lol no way the only good release among those is the new Riverside
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.07.2009 - 18:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Elio on 27.07.2009 at 17:58

lol no way the only good release among those is the new Riverside

It'll be easy for you. I have inner struggles. But I'll have time to choose. So far, I actually think that Riverside wins the prize. I mean, what a album. I didn't see that coming.
----

My Instagram
29.07.2009 - 03:49
*!*

Best album by riverside nd a total masterpiece 3 songs deserves 10 out of 10 no doubt but the other two (Driven To Destruction,Left Out) are'nt on the same level for me this album deserves 9.6 easy, nd definitely should be on the top 100 IMO m/
29.07.2009 - 16:56
MeloDeathViking

Yeah, this is definitly true, and once Between the Buried and Me's album comes out, I think the race for no. 1 is gonna be even more crowded.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
15.08.2010 - 21:32
thehamburglar

Written by BloodTears on 08.07.2009 at 23:31

This is a great review I think. You certainly have your point of view and still compare it to the previous releases, which is a good thing for the fans.

I'm not gona speak a lot about the album per se at this point, I only listened to it once. Let's just say it has the potential to wow me. Also saw the DVD, very enjoyable indeed.

ok good but don't get carried away now
15.08.2010 - 21:33
thehamburglar

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.07.2009 at 15:35

I can summon up what the reviewer means to say in one sentence - I have said it all over this website - this is the best studio produced album of the four BY FAR. Finally some commercial success has brought them more money = they can spend more on production. Very simple.

this is true
16.08.2010 - 00:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by thehamburglar on 15.08.2010 at 21:32

Written by BloodTears on 08.07.2009 at 23:31

ok good but don't get carried away now

What was I carried away with?
----

My Instagram
16.08.2010 - 11:32
thehamburglar

Uh your mom
20.03.2013 - 10:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Re-read this review, and, you know, this is exactly how I feel about their discography. Indeed ADHD is similarly special to Out of Myself. I only wish I knew their previous material before listening to his one, so that I could say, "This is it! This - this! - is the Riverside that I've been waiting for ever since I heard their first album Out of Myself."
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.01.2014 - 20:17
Strawberry

I quite like this more 'heavy' sound of Riverside.
10.01.2014 - 22:33
Strawberry

Written by BloodTears on 11.07.2009 at 16:43

I don't know about you guys but "Left Out" is my favourite song so far. It's so Riverside, if you know what I mean.

Left Out is the best song!!
11.01.2014 - 11:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Strawberry on 10.01.2014 at 22:33

Wow, you quoted me from 2009! Ahah I must say that after so long, it's still my favourite song on the record
----

My Instagram
12.01.2014 - 09:11
Strawberry

Written by BloodTears on 11.01.2014 at 11:02

Written by Strawberry on 10.01.2014 at 22:33

Wow, you quoted me from 2009! Ahah I must say that after so long, it's still my favourite song on the record

Heh, yea I saw that and I was like 'well this place seems like dead let's post something'!
I'm a little behind when it comes to Riverside !
Having previously only listened to Second Life Syndrome, I listened to the whole discography a while ago and I have to say I like Anno Domini High Definiton the most ^_^! Although all their albums are very very good, Riverside doesn't make anything bad lol!
Still I mean these guys are very underrated not many people know or even like Riverside.
27.08.2016 - 02:08
BlankFile

Definitely more heavy than previous releases, and still emotional and profound. Really amazing work.

Hits total: 16689 | This month: 22