03. Existential Fear Questions [live]
04. Repined Bastard Nation [live]
05. Mother North [live]
06. The Pentagram Burns [radio edit version]
07. Last Man Standing [guitar wall mix version]
08. Den Siste [analog mix version]
+ K.I.N.G. [video]
+ The Pentagram Burns [video]

Satyricon never was typical, close minded black metal band. They developed specific style over last few years which caused that they lost some old (let me say more conservative) fans but on the other hand also gained new ones. This is also quite ironic thing because their "new style" is much more rock'n'roll oriented and much closer to the so called first wave of black metal movement.

The Age Of Nero definitely follows the same direction as their previous album Now, Diabolica and pushes minimalistic sound from the last album even further. It does not contain any ballast substance, there is no unnecessary complicated guitars riffs, no overlong solos or anything like that. Songs are based on "straight to the point" recipe, powerful and memorable guitar riffs and strong choruses. Production is much more clean than on the last album and gives album extremely natural, almost raw (not in usual black metal term) sound. Satyr's and Frost performance may not be on extremely high technical level but is optimal for this kind of album structure.

Even though album is minimalistic is a grower. It gets better with every new listening, you just have to give it some time. There are only two problems that consider this release. Firstly, album is too short. It is a bit over 42 minutes long, but it ends before you even know it. The second problem does not really concern this album but can cause issues in the future. Minimalism on this album is forced to the maximum and Satyricon can have serious problems in finding new and original riffs next time. But let us wait until next album.

To conclude with, you can say this album is simplistic as it gets, but in a good way, where all unnecessary ingredients are left out and only essence of songs remains. If you care more how the dish is prepared than how it tastes, then this album probably is not for you. But if you think the final result is more important, then you should check this one out. And remember, give it some time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Silent Creeper | 08.07.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 179 users
09.07.2009 - 11:51
Rating: 10
lord artan
Thank you for this review
i love satyricon because best black metal in world
track 5 ((my skin is cold)) in my idea best song in album
My skin is cold and the birds fly free
Over my head, where winter grows
A heathens call, stand up or fall
This world is yours, for you to rule

and 3 track Black Crow On A Tombstone beautiful song in genre
dark/sorrow/power
thank you
14.07.2009 - 16:17
BlizzardBeast
Account deleted
Exceptional album - I enjoyed this alot... Satyricon are one of those elite bands where fans just know they are never going to be disappointed... That's why I rank Satyricon in the top list of best black metal bands...
14.07.2009 - 19:26
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I didnt get into this one yet. Feels a little dissappointing.. excluding My Skin Is Cold, I didn't actually remember any of the other stuff after 5 spins.
Far away from the quality of previous albums.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.07.2009 - 22:21
Rating: 7
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
While I don't regret my purchase of this album, I just don't think it's as successful in delivery compared to their "Now, Diabolical" release. You are totally correct in that this one is even more minimalist in its production, but I think the result has been a bit off the mark for me.

I enjoy "Black Crow on a Tombstone" a lot, and enjoy "My Skin Is Cold" (which I only moderately give credit for, since this was already released on EP), but I think something was lost in the translation of insisting upon stripping away so much from that band's sound, in that they lost the punch that existed so prominently on "Now, Diabolical". Still a great band that pushes themselves the way few BM bands bother, but I'm only moderately pleased this time around. Enjoyable review btw.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
09.08.2009 - 23:41
B.B.S.
Account deleted
Really great album.. all 8 songs are great, one of my favorites
12.10.2009 - 22:54
FOOCK Nam
Boring album, I even dont find any keyboard sound in this album.
07.11.2009 - 02:23
Rating: 9
SatyriconChick
All of Satyricon's albums are great. I've noticed them getting flak for this release as well as Now, Diabolical. The band has been around since the early 90s, so it's unrealistic to think they're going to keep the same sound/style each and every album. Personally, as a fan since Dark Medieval Times, I think it's great that they've progressed and that no two Satyricon albums sound alike. They have always been and always will be my favorite black metal band.
20.11.2009 - 15:23
Rating: 4
Slayer666
Satyricon just keeps sinking lower and lower... You'd think that they reached rock-bottom with "Now, Diabolical", but wait, it gets worse. Yes, I'm talking about this album.
21.11.2009 - 02:12
Lord_Regnier
Written by Slayer666 on 20.11.2009 at 15:23

Satyricon just keeps sinking lower and lower... You'd think that they reached rock-bottom with "Now, Diabolical", but wait, it gets worse. Yes, I'm talking about this album.

One more time we agree, then.
People who say that the band changes are right. However, they're wrong when they see it as an evolution.
Devolution is the word.
Considering how skilled as a drummer Frost is, he's wasting his talent in Satyricon since a long time. He would be much more at his place in a band like Taake or Hellsaw. As he is/was more at his place in 1349. (I don't remember if he's still in the band or not)
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
21.11.2009 - 05:38
SatyriconChick
Frost is still in 1349. But he obviously doesn't think his talent is "being wasted," since he's still in Satyricon. And from what he's said, he still enjoys Satyricon and the direction they've taken in the last two albums. He's said in interviews that the difference with his playing in each band is "strict discipline" (with Satyricon) and "pure intensity" (with 1349). Sounds like he's pretty happy with the way things are, if you ask me. He has variety with each of his bands.
21.11.2009 - 14:22
Slayer666
Written by SatyriconChick on 21.11.2009 at 05:38

But he obviously doesn't think his talent is "being wasted," since he's still in Satyricon.

Of course he doesn't. He is being payed a shit load of cash for it, after all. Satyricon makes a whooole lot more money than 1349, being commercialized and simple as they are now.

Quote:

And from what he's said, he still enjoys Satyricon and the direction they've taken in the last two albums.

Yes, I belive he does. The new direction makes his job much easier. Hell, even I can do the drumms on about 70% of "Now, Diabolical". Listen to "K.I.N.G." for example. Majority of the song is just one super-simple beat repeated over and over again. And how easy must it be for a drummer like him?
I honestly hope he gets involved into at least one more BM project, because Satyricon is just a waste nowadays....
21.11.2009 - 15:50
Lord_Regnier
Written by Slayer666 on 21.11.2009 at 14:22

Written by SatyriconChick on 21.11.2009 at 05:38

But he obviously doesn't think his talent is "being wasted," since he's still in Satyricon.

Of course he doesn't. He is being payed a shit load of cash for it, after all. Satyricon makes a whooole lot more money than 1349, being commercialized and simple as they are now.

Exactly. Satyricon is by far his best moneymaker.

Quote:

And from what he's said, he still enjoys Satyricon and the direction they've taken in the last two albums.

Yes, I belive he does. The new direction makes his job much easier. Hell, even I can do the drumms on about 70% of "Now, Diabolical". Listen to "K.I.N.G." for example. Majority of the song is just one super-simple beat repeated over and over again. And how easy must it be for a drummer like him?
I honestly hope he gets involved into at least one more BM project, because Satyricon is just a waste nowadays....

And I could do the same with some practice. I didn't sit behind a drum kit in 20 years but I'm able to play drums, as long as they are not faster than mid-tempo and not too complex. I took lessons when I was 17.

@SatyriconChicK: Why always trying to defend the band by saying "they think", "they said", "they don't care", etc. In other terms, defending them by quoting their words and opinions, which is a not a valid argument. It only makes you sound like a fangirl who cares more for the guys than the music.
If you think their new albums are so great, why not explain what makes you think so, instead of talking about Frost's and Satyr's opinions all the time? I'm sure most of those who dislike the recent albums don't give a fuck at whatever the band members believe and say.
It's what we hear when we listen to music that builds our opinion, not whatever bullshit those behind it can say.

Especially for people like me who have artists in low esteem because they still act like immature teenagers at over 30 or even 60 and because the metal scene is so often retarded as fuck. I enjoy the music but I loathe and despise the metal scene and community- and I don't consider myself as belonging to it.
Metal, for me, is only a matter of musical tastes, nothing more. I listen to the music since 25 years ago or so and still enjoy it as much as when I was a teenager. On the other hand, if people want to use music as a an excuse to justify silly and dumb behavior, it's their own business. But I don't jump on this wagon.
----
21.11.2009 - 17:10
SatyriconChick
LMFAO, you actually think they make a "shitload of money" in Satyricon?? Seriously, what are you guys smoking?

And Regnier, it's only natural that you would think of me as a fangirl. Typical way for a guy on a metal forum to see a female fan. And I DO care about what they have to say and what they think. I would think a true fan WOULD care about their point of view and opinions.

As for me enjoying the album The Age of Nero, I love the songs, the structure of the songs, and the music itself. Anyone with working ears who's heard "Black Crow On a Tombstone," for instance, knows what a catchy tune that is. I hear that song and it sticks with me for at least most of the rest of the day. I enjoy the rich guitar sound, thick bass tones and especially the drums (as I've always been a HUGE fan of Frost's talent in particular). Satyr's lyrics are a lot easier to discern when listening to his singing on the last three albums as well, at least for me. I like it when I can actually understand what he's saying without having to resort to consulting the CD booklet. How else can I explain WHY I like the music? It appeals to my tastes, period, end of story. I could ask you why you like their first 3 albums (or is it just the first 2?), but I won't because I respect that you do.

And again, to sound like a broken record, if you don't like their last two or three albums, then sell or give them away if you actually own them. Or just throw them away if that's what you prefer. : Nobody's forcing you to listen to them. I just find it funny that you hate The Age of Nero so very much, yet you still persist on posting in this thread.
21.11.2009 - 17:14
SatyriconChick
Written by Slayer666 on 21.11.2009 at 14:22

You know I disagree with your opinion about Satyricon "being a waste," but he should be playing session drums for Ov Hell, which should be great.
21.11.2009 - 18:13
Lord_Regnier
Written by SatyriconChick on 21.11.2009 at 17:10

LMFAO, you actually think they make a "shitload of money" in Satyricon?? Seriously, what are you guys smoking?

And Regnier, it's only natural that you would think of me as a fangirl. Typical way for a guy on a metal forum to see a female fan. And I DO care about what they have to say and what they think. I would think a true fan WOULD care about their point of view and opinions.

As for me enjoying the album The Age of Nero, I love the songs, the structure of the songs, and the music itself. Anyone with working ears who's heard "Black Crow On a Tombstone," for instance, knows what a catchy tune that is. I hear that song and it sticks with me for at least most of the rest of the day. I enjoy the rich guitar sound, thick bass tones and especially the drums (as I've always been a HUGE fan of Frost's talent in particular). Satyr's lyrics are a lot easier to discern when listening to his singing on the last three albums as well, at least for me. I like it when I can actually understand what he's saying without having to resort to consulting the CD booklet. How else can I explain WHY I like the music? It appeals to my tastes, period, end of story. I could ask you why you like their first 3 albums (or is it just the first 2?), but I won't because I respect that you do.

And again, to sound like a broken record, if you don't like their last two or three albums, then sell or give them away if you actually own them. Or just throw them away if that's what you prefer. : Nobody's forcing you to listen to them. I just find it funny that you hate The Age of Nero so very much, yet you still persist on posting in this thread.

Well done. Stated this way, I respect your opinion much more.

Of course, Satyricon don't make tons of money (something that would be comparable to Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc), but they make more money than many BM bands who are more underground.

As for thinking that you're a fangirl, I don't automatically label girls as such. In your case, it's your username combined to your habit of quoting their words that led me to believe you COULD be a fangirl. I have never been sure about it.

About this 'true fan' thingy, I enjoy music, but I'm not a fan of bands, if you know what I mean. So I don't care for what musicians believe. As long as I still like the music, I don't care at all for line-up changes. In short, I'm not a fan in the way people usually think of it. I care for music, not for those behind it.
Most musicians can hardly think and talk in interviews about something else than booze, drugs and fuck, so why should I care for the bullshit they have to say?
Lots of metalheads believe that metal artists are people with a higher level of intelligence than the average population. If you look at the facts, all the past events and their behavior in general, you can see that this belief is false.

I never bought any Satyricon record after "Nemesis Divina".

Finally, some people say "if you don't have anything positive to say then don't say anything". I think absolutely the other way. I find it pointless to comment on what I like. When you like something, you don't need to give your reasons. It's when you dislike or hate something that you feel the need to explain why you don't like it.
Negative criticism can be constructive in the end. Ecstatic comments have no substance.

Why did I comment on Satyricon? Because I like the old albums very much and I always find it sad when bands who released great material in the past are turning to crap (from my own point of view, of course).
----
21.11.2009 - 19:00
SatyriconChick
Oh, and I actually meant to explain WHY I quote Satyr and Frost in my posts... It's because what they enjoy and want to do musically may not necessarily be what you or anyone else wants them to do.

Normally, when I join forums, I sign up with my actual real first name, but I didn't want to here and thought 'SatyriconChick' would be cool because Satyricon has always been my favorite black metal band.

I guess that's a huge difference between you and me, Regnier. I'm a huge fan of music, mostly of metal, and I'm into it in a huge way. In my college days in the 90s, I used to go to concerts nearly every week, meet bands, have actual conversations with band members, and no, I was never, ever a groupie (not that I didn't have opportunities, but that's not me). I have loads of band T-shirts, more than I can even count off the top of my head. My album collection is extensive. I was so influenced by certain bands and sounds that I bought a bass and amp, took guitar lessons for a few months and tried to form a band with a few of my friends. I started going to concerts again early this year after a long hiatus. To this day, I still have a metal look. So, yeah, we're definitely different in that regard.

As for interviews, you really are misinformed. Yes, there are a few people in metal who fit the stereotype you described. One of the reasons I do love Satyricon for other than their music is because they're not about that shit at all. I've read and watched a lot of interviews with them, and they are two of the most intelligent, down-to-earth, honest and modest people I have ever seen. It's refreshing. Anyhow, I know you don't care about that stuff, but I figured I'd say it.

I assume you must have heard the four albums Satyricon have put out since Nemesis Divina since you certainly talk a lot about them, even if you never bought them. I hope this is indeed the case. And I do agree that everyone has the right to express their opinions, positive or negative. But I just don't get why you keep commenting about The Age of Nero simply because you're a fan of the OLD Satyricon. There are threads about Dark Medieval Times, The Shadowthrone and Nemesis Divina, are there not?
21.11.2009 - 19:20
Slayer666
Written by SatyriconChick on 21.11.2009 at 17:10

As my brother-in-musical-taste said, Satyricon makes much more money than 95% of BM bands, even if Satyricon can hardly be classified as such nowadays. That's what I meant.
Ov Hell is going to be just another waste, actually. Perfectly generic BM, with an overly impossing Satanic concept without a dash of something innovative. In short, cheesy, stereotypical BM. And with Shitgarth on vocals...
About the rest of your disscussion, I can say I yet again agree with Regnier. The only bands who's line-ups and opinions I care about would be Cradle of Filth, Gorgoroth and partially Mayhem. The rest can do whatever the jolly fuck they want, as long they keep making good music.
19.04.2012 - 22:14
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Much better than their older stuff.
20.04.2012 - 00:39
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 19.04.2012 at 22:14

Good joke.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.04.2012 - 05:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RavenKing on 20.04.2012 at 00:39
Good joke.

I always laugh when people think new Satyricon bests old Satyricon, but I suppose it's a matter of tastes. The styles are completely different so you're bound to get divided opinions.

I'm still shocked to know Marcel prefers contemporary Satyricon.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.04.2012 - 12:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2012 at 05:27

I'm still shocked to know Marcel prefers contemporary Satyricon.

over Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone, totally yes. Not over Nemesis Divina, Rebel Extravaganza and Volcano though.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.04.2012 - 13:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2012 at 05:27

I always laugh when people think new Satyricon bests old Satyricon, but I suppose it's a matter of tastes. The styles are completely different so you're bound to get divided opinions.

Me too. Modern Satyricon is barely listenable, brainless rubbish. That's it in a nutshell. At least Darkthrone have gone on to have a great DIY, two-takes aesthetic rather than this radio rock equivalent of a black metal band.

Also, Marcel thinks the turdcore album 'The Unspoken King' is the best Cryptopsy album so it shouldn't come as too big a surprise really
20.04.2012 - 16:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 20.04.2012 at 13:22
Me too. Modern Satyricon is barely listenable, brainless rubbish. That's it in a nutshell. At least Darkthrone have gone on to have a great DIY, two-takes aesthetic rather than this radio rock equivalent of a black metal band. Also, Marcel thinks the turdcore album 'The Unspoken King' is the best Cryptopsy album so it shouldn't come as too big a surprise really

That's kind of the way I've always thought about contemporary Satyricon... radio black metal, which Now, Diabolical is the epitome of.

Had no idea he liked The Unspoken King either.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.04.2012 - 16:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.04.2012 at 12:18
over Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone, totally yes.

What is it you find so bad about those albums?
----
20.04.2012 - 16:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2012 at 16:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.04.2012 at 12:18
over Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone, totally yes.

What is it you find so bad about those albums?

Haven't heard The Shadowthrone, but DMT is.... is good, but that's it. I would definitely not give it anything like an 8 or higher. 7-ish stuff for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.04.2012 - 16:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.04.2012 at 16:42
7-ish stuff for me.

I still don't understand why though. I mean I know it's a difference of opinion, I'm not that slow (okay I am, bear with me) but what about that album makes it "only a 7"?
----
20.04.2012 - 16:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2012 at 16:45

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.04.2012 at 16:42
7-ish stuff for me.

I still don't understand why though. I mean I know it's a difference of opinion, I'm not that slow (okay I am, bear with me) but what about that album makes it "only a 7"?

I don't know! That's the weird thing. I heard it only once though so maybe it could grow on me. I enjoy pretty much all the classics from the 90s but for some reason the Satyricon's first stuff doesn't really grab me... But like I said, I haven't heard it that much either.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.04.2012 - 16:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.04.2012 at 16:52
But like I said, I haven't heard it that much either.

Pff, anything to mirror Marcel.
----
20.04.2012 - 16:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2012 at 16:54

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.04.2012 at 16:52
But like I said, I haven't heard it that much either.

Pff, anything to mirror Marcel.

What? I didn't even try today! xD

I would bet he has listened to those albums far more than me though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.04.2012 - 18:24
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 20.04.2012 at 00:39

Written by Guest on 19.04.2012 at 22:14

Good joke.