Metal Storm logo
Jazz

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:32
I only know a few very experimental bands that play some kind of jazz. But I'm looking for some other bands that are a bit easier to listen to.
Like Supersilent. It's not -really- Jazz, I know. But maybe some people know this.
Does anybody know some nice not too common and experimental jazz bands?
Preferably with some rock influences, like Jaga Jazzist.

That brings me to my second question. Does anybody like hybrids like that?
02.05.2011 - 19:17
baldur
Written by 0rpheus on 08.04.2011 at 23:47

I adore those sufi, qawwali jazz fusions by Dhafer Youssef

this sounds great. what album is to be recommended?
02.05.2011 - 19:52
0rpheus
Written by baldur on 02.05.2011 at 19:17

Written by 0rpheus on 08.04.2011 at 23:47

I adore those sufi, qawwali jazz fusions by Dhafer Youssef

this sounds great. what album is to be recommended?

This track is from the album; Divine Shadows (2006) recorded with Oslo Session String Quartet. I recommend Electric Sufi (2002) as a start.
----
I would prefer not to.
12.08.2011 - 15:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Yesterday I was listening to Joe Pass's Virtuoso and Wes Montgomery's Fingerpickin', and today I gave the second listen to Al Di Meola's latest: Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody.

I could not get into Joe Pass at first. It also sounded like pointless guitar wankery but then I actually started to enjoy it. Wes Montgomery was fine too. I was cooking to both of those albums: kind of suitable music.

Don't really remember much of Al Di Meola, but it was enjoyable. I am in a jazz/instrumental mood actually.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.10.2011 - 22:37
Axe Argonian
John Coltrane wrote some fantastic compositions. The classic experimental album A Love Supreme is a favorite of mine. Packed with highly versatile layers, it suits many different moods. Ranging from love-making to soft drinking, there is no soothing atmosphere that it does not set. Of course, his traditional jazz compositions are also worthy of recognition.

Check out "Naima" from his album, Giant Steps.

----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
18.10.2011 - 22:45
IronAngel
Ascension is pretty wicked. Coltrane is rather hard to stomach at times, but he can be quite rewarding. I can't say I completely "get" him though, and I've never been all that interested in trying.
19.10.2011 - 20:52
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Axe Argonian on 18.10.2011 at 22:37

Giant Steps.

Great recommendation. Giant Steps is the one of the most iconic saxophone Jazz albums ever. This, along with Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus and any number of Wayne Shorter's albums (Night Dreamer, Adam's Apple, Juju, etc.) are some of the best Jazz records period. It's great to see people on Metalstorm appreciating this great, timeless music. Highly recommended!

Written by IronAngel on 18.10.2011 at 22:45

Ascension is pretty wicked. Coltrane is rather hard to stomach at times, but he can be quite rewarding. I can't say I completely "get" him though, and I've never been all that interested in trying.

I'm not sure if there is anything to get about Coltrane. His styles evolved dramatically over his short career and I'll admit, his later, Free Jazz records (A Love Supreme, Ascension, Meditations, etc.) are a bit difficult to digest, initially. But I would strongly suggest checking out his work with Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk for some great, traditional modal Jazz/Bop. I would also highly recommend his Blue Train album, one of my personal favorites.
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.01.2012 - 04:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Listening to John Coltraine right now.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.03.2013 - 01:30
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I highly recommend this, Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorious when they were 20 or so.

Quality is bad but at least it can get you to get it in another way
22.06.2013 - 00:40
Panterica
You should definitely check out Bright Size Life by Pat Metheny, certainly a turning point in Jazz's music history.
Also in the Jazz department: John Coltrane (Giant Steps), Wes Montgomery (The Incredible Jazz Guitar of), Avishai Cohen, Bill Evans (Sunday at the Village Vanguard), Freddie Hubbard, Keith Jarrett (The Klon Concert), Kurt Rosenwinkel (The Next Step), Aaron Parks (Invisible Cinema), Wayne Shorter...
Fusion/Experimental Jazz : Chick Corea, Tigran Hamasayan (Aratta Rebirth), John Scofield, John McLaughlin, Esbjorn Svensson Trio (Leucocyte), Bill Frisell, Next Collective, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report...
Rock/Metal with Jazz influences : Liquid Tension Experiment, Exivious, Animals as Leaders, Cynic, Disperse (Journey Through the Hidden Gardens), Steven Wilson, Guthrie Govan (Erotic Cakes)...
There are many other great artists you should check out and some of my suggestions might not suit your liking, but I'm sure you can find something among the names that I just dropped that you'd like.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
17.07.2013 - 06:03
FieldsOfWaste
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 07.01.2011 at 13:29

Charles Mingus is great. The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is just a part of Western culture everyone should hear.

If you're into experimental stuff, you should really check out Sun Ra. He was very eccentric and unique. Something like Jazz In Silhouette is a classic.

I second both of these. Also, Sun Ra's Lanquidity is pretty damn awesome. I'd also recommend Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music- a very unique and (as far as I know) not very well-known album.
09.07.2016 - 13:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This is best cover version I ever have hear, live vocals is so awesome and quality. This is not pop star what makes millions whit song what never make any logic, those guys maybe get 100 bucks for this. Its awesome, original BS, Oz never will be able perform this live so well, and band has old school sound transmitter from bass to amps, a cable, it means a lot !! old school shit
This is america what media never will let you discover, wanna see some music, whats not on TV or radio, go to Delta, big cities, blues, jazz bars, every weekend live bands are kicking, thing what USA never was able export so good, real jazz n blues never will be for export I suppose

----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.01.2024 - 19:14
Metal Rasputin
Last few days I've been banging some Miles Davis. Haven't listened too much of his music for some reason, maybe it's the earlier more traditional modal jazz that didn't seem that interesting. It's the experimental late 60's and early 70's Miles that kills, that's where he peaked IMO. And not only is it fresh and rewarding to listen to, but luckily Miles was also a highly productive man with lots and lots of the good stuff from the peak era. Bitches Brew, Agartha, Filles de Kilimanjaro, Big Fun, E.S.P, On the Corner, Get Up With It... Can't get much better than that. Miles himself thought his live albums were better because the atmosphere was more suitable for improvising. They really are great, and there's lots of them.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!