Metal Storm logo
Jazz

17.05.2006 - 12:32
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I only know a few very experimental bands that play some kind of jazz. But I'm looking for some other bands that are a bit easier to listen to.
Like Supersilent. It's not -really- Jazz, I know. But maybe some people know this.
Does anybody know some nice not too common and experimental jazz bands?
Preferably with some rock influences, like Jaga Jazzist.

That brings me to my second question. Does anybody like hybrids like that?
17.05.2006 - 13:56
Eight
Shapeshifter
I like jazz clean and mixed aswell, i actually don't know any bands, but listen to such styles on winamps radio, well was listening, can't find it now
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
17.05.2006 - 16:15
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
try dark hall they r not exactly jazz but close enough im sure u will like them the 1st time u listen to them
u can get their full album of their site its free

well other i wud suggest wud b
Mahavishnu Orchestra if ur into jazz fusion
Miles davis
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
18.05.2006 - 22:30
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Well, this isn´t strictly jazz but it surely sounds jazzy (if that term makes any sense). It is called Tortoise and it´s a post-rock band from US but they surely seem to have jazz influeces, at least on the album "Standards" which is quite minimalistic yet still complex, at least to my ears.

And speaking about jazz which really is jazz surely you should listen to John Coltrane´s "Love Supreme", a classic.
19.05.2006 - 17:33
Damnated
Churchburner
Wheater Report plays jazz rock, highly recommended!
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.05.2006 - 21:54
Aresius
Account deleted
If you're a bass player...You should listen to Jaco Pastorius or Victor Wooten, they are just awesome!!!...but personally I like Tony MacAlpine...Hmm, not a bass player, but he is great too...

19.05.2006 - 22:41
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Thanks people!

I'm currently listening to Tortoise and Weather Report. They're both very nice!

I'll try to have a listen to the other artists mentioned here later.
Just keep posting and suggesting here, I think the Jazz, Jazz/Fusion and Jazz/Rock world has a lot more in stock for me and many other people who're interested.
20.05.2006 - 05:01
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i do like jazz alot
it's a type of music i'll play alot if i didn't hear to much metal hehe
...mm i can't recall many bands or players right now cuz i don't know their names but i'll ask my father and tell u
...ei right know a friend just recommend me a girl called lila downs, she plays a kind of folkloric-jazz...i guess i'll check her out too...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
22.05.2006 - 02:49
Icewings
La Luna
OHHH you took my thread away ...just kidding but well I love Jazz is amazing ..I mean it has so much .. almost every type of Jazz and yes a I listen to jazz frequently ..well about bands uhmm I mostly listen the old one's and the new ones that I listen is local so ... but well old could be Ella fizgerald , Koko taylor , Miles daves of course ... and well so much in that genre tha I love , Great Thread
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
22.05.2006 - 05:45
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I almost never listen to jazz although I know it's a great music, very talented too, when I hear this music I feel so relaxed, so happy, and I wish I could be with a glass of wine, reading a book...;D
Since I want to know more about jazz, what kinds of jazz there are?
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
05.06.2006 - 15:42
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
If you like Jazz/Fusion I would recommend the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Those guys play beautiful music, some progressive rock including jazz elements, and they rock!! Get their album Birds of Fire (my favourite )
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
16.06.2006 - 16:31
Eternal Flames
Planet X is another pretty good Jazz-Rock/Metal Fusion (Progressive) band. Some may argue that they are clearly progressive Metal, although I still think they are suitable to be classified as Jazz/Fusion also. They formed after Derek Sherinian left Dream Theater. Their Moonbabies album is particularly worth mentioning. I think it's something you will definitely enjoy. It's very complex and rather unique also.

Allan Holdsworth is another great Jazz Fusion artist. Particularly the album "Metal Fatigue". Another very unique artist. I highly recommend this album if you are looking for the Fusion sound. I doubt you will be dissappointed.
16.06.2006 - 17:09
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
I like Jazz on lazy Sunday afternoons/ evenings.
I can recommend you some Charles Mingus (a Jazz mastermind!). But mostly I just listen to the Jazz programme on the radio...
----
Your favorite band sucks.
17.06.2006 - 18:41
marinBG
if you want pure jazz - Oscar Piterson...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
17.06.2006 - 23:05
MigraineBoy
If you are looking for some rock with jazz feel, try Don Caballero
If you are looking for some metal fusion, try Planet X (more progressive) or Dysrhythmia.
If you want fusion, try the big 3: Mahavishnu Orchesta, Weather Report and Return to Forever
If are searching for real jazz, you can start with big names like Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington or Miles
----
Is only wrong if you don't get it!
21.06.2006 - 15:13
Nima
Account deleted
Jazz is great music

I listen to weather report right now.
21.06.2006 - 23:30
KryptoN
imperceptible
I'm not a "huge" fan of jazz but I like to listen to it from time to time. And then I will listen to such artists/bands as Anouar Brahem, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers and Honeymunch. I have no idea if all of these are actually "true" jazz or something but I highly recommend them anyway.
22.06.2006 - 00:54
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've been starting to compose some jazz stuff...

here's a link...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=29271CE57EE7510D

It's short and all that but you know...
29.06.2006 - 07:07
Icewings
La Luna
@MigraineBoy: AHHH Duke Ellington and Miles davis they are great great great ..I also like Koko taylor , very pure in what he does ....Great Jazz you jsut mention
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
30.06.2006 - 01:51
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I don't like Miles Davis, is at least for me boring...i like othrs like Ray Brown, Al dimeola (jazz/fussion/bossa nova), george benson, Jhon mclaughlin.
30.06.2006 - 01:51
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Sekhmet on 05.06.2006 at 15:42

If you like Jazz/Fusion I would recommend the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Those guys play beautiful music, some progressive rock including jazz elements, and they rock!! Get their album Birds of Fire (my favourite )

i have one disc of them, and they're awesome.
03.07.2006 - 12:43
Too many fail.
Well if you want nice guitar jazz you could go with the classic players like wes montgomery, charlie christian, and django reindhardt. if you wan tmore modern stuff check out john scofield pat metheney and mike stern, stern is more a rocky type of a player he uses a lot of overdrive in his songs. Al Di Meola has some cool tracks as well and his style is very much on the fusion side, check out , "race with davil on Spanish..." or "flight over Rio" both are nice songs with crazy sweeps. you might also wanna check out john petruccis fusion project liquid tension experiment and this online radio www.fusiongroovin.com
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
12.07.2006 - 01:29
Basso
Account deleted
If you like incredible bassists check out the material of Marcus Miller. Amazing
14.07.2006 - 01:55
Damnated
Churchburner
Norah jones - not entirely jaz, but 98% and awsome, all the way. See if you can get her 'Come Away With Me' debut album.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.07.2006 - 14:08
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Dues ex machina (jazz/prog rock fusion)
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
30.12.2006 - 16:23
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
One small moment if your time please ^^ Could I be reccommended easy to digest jazz with light female vocals please? Norah Jones doesn't have to be mentioned again Thank you so much if you could help me out.
28.01.2007 - 00:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Is anyone here familiar with John Scofield? He is an amazing Jazz Guitarist and I would recomend him to anyone looking fpr some good jazz.

Also, I bet you guys didn't know this but, the inventor of the Double Bass Pedal was a Jazz Drummer by the name Of Louie Belson, and his stuff is really good as well.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
13.02.2007 - 00:18
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 28.01.2007 at 00:39

Is anyone here familiar with John Scofield? He is an amazing Jazz Guitarist and I would recomend him to anyone looking fpr some good jazz.

Also, I bet you guys didn't know this but, the inventor of the Double Bass Pedal was a Jazz Drummer by the name Of Louie Belson, and his stuff is really good as well.

One of my best friends is a jazz fan and so is his entire family. So I have heard quite much material from John Scofield, sadly I cant tell what any albums / songs etc was named. Since we usually only have the music in the background when we play cards or somethin.
13.02.2007 - 06:00
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Really, While I can name Artists, I can not name songs/albums either because I love jazz alot, but I spend all my money on Metal or Rap Records, I'm sure I will have the oppourtunity to buy some fine jazz one day, Scofiled is my number one target hehe.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
26.02.2007 - 21:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Eddie on 30.12.2006 at 16:23

One small moment if your time please ^^ Could I be reccommended easy to digest jazz with light female vocals please? Norah Jones doesn't have to be mentioned again Thank you so much if you could help me out.

Hmmmm hawe you mezzo tv channel? sometimes thay play such thinks but I can recomend you one croatian singer Tamara Ingrid well yeah *'Devojka na vodu plavala, devojka pesnu pevala' good song

But if I will hear something I will tell but such thinks ist popular in Poland

*girl was swimming in watter, girl was singing song.

BTW dont mix it whit Keman Ingrid its football team and sucky one in Croatia
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing