01. The Cry Of Silence
02. Silent Winter
03. A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal
04. The Solitude
05. Reversio ad Secessum
06. The Amaranth
07. Akherousia
08. It Grieves My Heart

Something that makes doom metal very unique is slow tempos. It gives the music a certain emotion that makes man feel that he is floating. He drifts away from reality to a point where he feels that he's on the verge of death. Deep grunts cause depressing emotions to circulate man's veins. The slow tempos alter his mind's state of consciousness. Violins cause his spirit to depart from his body. Finally, the clean female vocals grow goose bumps on his skin while slowing down his blood circulation. Eventually, man closes his eyes. After the last second of the CD passes, man feels DOOMED. That is the atmosphere Where Lovers Mourn creates. This is mostly apparent on the tracks "The Cry Of Silence", "Reversio Ad Secessum", and "It Grieves My Heart".

Draconian have done an amazing job at creating this ecstatic album. While keeping grounded in creating the atmosphere, they also managed to add a little velocity and melody to Where Lovers Mourn. This is apparent on the tracks "Silent Winter" and "The Amaranth". This intends to have manipulation over man's blood circulation and emotions. The faster the tempos, the more he drifts away from reality. The slower the tempos, the faster his mind dies. Where Lovers Mourn is the kind of album that would be played at a funeral. Its main themes are despair, mourning, and reveries. Each line of each song's lyrics causes man to feel either despaired or gloomy.

While balancing the velocity of the album, Draconian give man one last look at life consciously through tired and despairing eyes with the acoustic ballad "Akherousin". Here, man contemplates his fate. "Maybe they want me to come on board; Maybe I'm cursed here to stay?" Although no man has ever dyed of being possessed by doom, Where Lovers Mourn maybe the first album to create this phenomenon. Beware, the dooming of man begins here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Account deleted | 12.07.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 144 users
14.07.2009 - 11:50
lord artan
Thank you
14.07.2009 - 14:30
Janne
Hugin
I feel DOOMED after reading this review as well.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.07.2009 - 00:08
Bleak
Account deleted
I realy liked the review and beleave me no one listens to the album as much as me
15.07.2009 - 03:34
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 15.07.2009 at 00:08

I realy liked the review and beleave me no one listens to the album as much as me

I've only listened to it 3 times since last christmas.. shame
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.07.2009 - 04:49
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.07.2009 at 00:08

Thank you, I'm glad you all liked it.

Really? And I thought I was the one who listened to it the most.

The man I am talking about in the review is a reflection of how I feel while listening to the album. Sometimes I put it in the player, then seconds later I wake up on the floor finding that half the disc is done. THAT'S how you distinguish good quality doom from everyday doom.
05.01.2010 - 01:27
INÆRIS
I have Arcane Rain, and I love it. I really want this one. Sounds like it's definitely worth my time.
----
Still Life, Still Death
07.01.2010 - 02:33
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by INÆRIS on 05.01.2010 at 01:27

I have Arcane Rain, and I love it. I really want this one. Sounds like it's definitely worth my time.

It's a great album, I strongly recomended it.
Also Turning Seassons within is good.

Frankly, all their stuff is good. I am glad to see they've maintained their sound or ever this genre (compared to Paradise Lost, Anathema, and Theatre of Tragedy).

If you really like this genre, I strongly recomend the band Kimaera. Like Draconian, I'd say they're one of the only handful of bands left that have stayed true to doom metal.
07.01.2010 - 14:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.01.2010 at 02:33

If you really like this genre, I strongly recomend the band Kimaera. Like Draconian, I'd say they're one of the only handful of bands left that have stayed true to doom metal.

You're not very familiar with the doom scene, are you? There is an enermous amount of bands that play pure doom. Not just a handful. Draconian doesn't even play pure doom, they mix it up with, imo, way too much, gothic metal. Tbh, Draconian are just borderline doom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2010 - 14:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.01.2010 at 14:16

You're not very familiar with the doom scene, are you? There is an enermous amount of bands that play pure doom. Not just a handful. Draconian doesn't even play pure doom, they mix it up with, imo, way too much, gothic metal. Tbh, Draconian are just borderline doom.

It kind of starts to get on my nerves when people start to talk about gothic bands like if they were doom. I really love doom and there are just a couple of gothic bands I actually like... So this missunderstanding is just annoying.
Borderline doom is what I also think about this guys.... And only a handful of doom bands staying true to the genre? That's jsut ridiculous since I really view Doom Metal as the genre that has stayed "truest" comparing it with the others.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.01.2010 - 03:25
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
I am NOT getting into another one of those silly conversations. I had enough with my article and my review for the dvd.

I WILL agree however that Draconian is pure doom, not gothic AT ALL. Read my article separating goth from metal and that'll explain it.

And no I don't think doom metal really is out there anymore.
It's death/black/folk/power/melo-death that are topping, atleast here in Vancouver where I live.
08.01.2010 - 04:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Yeah.. Because Canada is doom metal's capital and since few doom metal happens there it must be that the genre is dying.

I'm not going to turn this into a long conversation either, but I just found the last comment weird to say the least.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.01.2010 - 17:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Yes death/black/folk/power/melodeath are way more popular than doom. But that has ALWAYS been the case. Doom was never big and will never be big. Unlike all the other metal subgenres it has never been the flavour of the month, thank God for that.

If you reckon Draconian is pure doom, then you certainly no idea as to what constitutes pure doom. Saying Draconian are pure doom is like saying Novembers Doom are as well. So, totally ridiculous.

As for doom and popularity. Like I said it will always be underground. But the doom scene has never been in a healthier state than currently. Just this year alone saw loads and loads and loads of brilliant doom releases, both in the extreme doom scene as in the more melodic more traditional and death doom scenes. Plus there are loads of underground doom gigs and doom festivals all over the place. Yes, also in the US and Canada but you gotta know where to look. It is safe to say that 2009 was one of the best years in doom of the last decade, even though Swallow The Sun and My Dying Bride released some really bad doom albums once again.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2010 - 21:59
Rating: 10
advent
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.01.2010 at 17:35

Yes death/black/folk/power/melodeath are way more popular than doom. But that has ALWAYS been the case. Doom was never big and will never be big. Unlike all the other metal subgenres it has never been the flavour of the month, thank God for that.

If you reckon Draconian is pure doom, then you certainly no idea as to what constitutes pure doom. Saying Draconian are pure doom is like saying Novembers Doom are as well. So, totally ridiculous.

As for doom and popularity. Like I said it will always be underground. But the doom scene has never been in a healthier state than currently. Just this year alone saw loads and loads and loads of brilliant doom releases, both in the extreme doom scene as in the more melodic more traditional and death doom scenes. Plus there are loads of underground doom gigs and doom festivals all over the place. Yes, also in the US and Canada but you gotta know where to look. It is safe to say that 2009 was one of the best years in doom of the last decade, even though Swallow The Sun and My Dying Bride released some really bad doom albums once again.

well...its good that doom genre is'nt that poplar as others...i think that's the best way to maintain it's purity and it's profundity ...and yes i think the last couple of years there were awesome doom releases ,,,and i hunger for more.

and btw...good review:)
10.05.2010 - 17:14
Rating: 10
Vonpire
Why catalogue bands so much?? Draconian are the BEST! Period. Ahh btw this album gets a 10
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
08.06.2010 - 12:08
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I liked the way the first paragraph was written, the DOOMED thing was pretty cool.. althou I also see Draconian as way too gothic, and not that big of a deal.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
08.10.2010 - 09:43
INÆRIS
Who cares about genres?? I love Draconian and that's that. Great album.
----
Still Life, Still Death
19.09.2019 - 16:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wow amazing intro part, I would like to describe it same way, great descrition about this album and whole genre and idea of genre in general
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6687 | This month: 14