Metal Storm logo
Spotify Playlists

15.07.2009 - 20:52
IronAngel
I suppose this could also go to General Music, but since I'm mainly interested in your metal feedback..

For those who use Spotify and know your way around metal, how would you like to make and post some playlists for others to listen to? Spotify's seIection is pretty limited when it comes to small releases, but it should work out well enough.

Personally, I have nothing finished that would appeal to most metalheads (unless Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Bat For Lashes floats your boat!), so I can't contribute anything right now.

I was hoping some doom metal experts would compile an "Essential Doom" playlist, since I'm lately very much into doom but am having a hard time finding new artists. Or, you know, do whatever you want. Think of this as one of those "Make your Essential Metal Compilation" topics, but with the difference that you can actually let others listen to them with ease, and you can create several thematic playlists. Ready? Go!
16.07.2009 - 00:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 15.07.2009 at 20:52

I was hoping some doom metal experts would compile an "Essential Doom" playlist, since I'm lately very much into doom but am having a hard time finding new artists. Or, you know, do whatever you want. Think of this as one of those "Make your Essential Metal Compilation" topics, but with the difference that you can actually let others listen to them with ease, and you can create several thematic playlists. Ready? Go!

From my PC

Paradise Lost - ''Mortals Watch The DIe'' and ''Pitty The Sadness''
BloodTears - ''Jail Of Solitud''
Mornfull Gust - ''Whit Every Suffering''
Raven Black Night - ''Morbit Gladiator''
Rote Mare - Funeral Song
Jack Frost - (A)Dark Ages
A Sorrowful Dream - Tree Of Lies
Dream Of December - (B)Eternal Crying Dream
Fall Of The Idols - Halls Of The Forgotten
Heaven Grey - ''Zemes Spēks'' ''Upe''
Dis Pater - ''The Painter''

nah wanna more www.doom-metal.com try ecah band and try get what you can.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.07.2009 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If you wanna doom you get it, those are doom bands what I like , maybe some genre classification might be wrnig but what a hack

I can not suggest you some songs from band,s depends of your mood, but if you open each band mypscae you get pretty good idea what music band plays and 90% is possible get in myspace 10% of list isnt, but doomsters always know where get those bands, damn I hav eno time in mortal world, butr its be good stay in afterlife's purgatory so long till you wont hear all those bands , realy I like those all and have hear/lisetn all bands in list in last 6 years

DOOM:
1)Atmoferic doom - , Aggaloch, The 3rd and the Mortal, Abysmal Grief, Adagio(Brazil), Avrigus(Aus), Dead Wish, Dimness Through Infinity, Dis Pater, Distress(Fra), Estatic Fear, Golgotha(Es), Theatre of Tragedy(OLD), The Mist and the Morning Dew, Rapture,

2)Black Doom: All Shades of Grey, Beatrik, Bethlehem(Dark metal album only), Cultus Sanguine, Darkflight and other Ivo Iljev project Dreamflight, Deinonychus, Forgotten Tomb, Gardens of Gehenna, Katatonia(Only doom era, I even dont wanna hear nowdays SHIT of band), Mourning Dawn, Nightly Gale, Ocean Of Sorrow, Sarkus, Souldust, Tristitia, Woods Of Belial

3)Death/Doom: All Dies, Amber Tears, Anathema(only firts realises), Antestor, Apostate, Ars Moriendi, Ashes You Leave, Astral Rising, Ataraxie, Autumnal, Bellator, Bitterdusk, The Blood Divine, Blood Tears(Bra), Bloody Wings, Catacombs, Ceremonium, C.O.D. , Crestfallen, Crush Evil, Criptal Darkness(aka The Eternal), Daedeloth, Dawn Of Gehenna, Decemberance, Decomposed, Desire, Devout, Discrucior, diSEMBOWELMENT, Dissolving of Prodigy, Dissonance, Doomsday, Dusk, Earthcorpse, Ekklesiast, Elsyum(AKA Stone Wings), Enchantment, Eria d'Or, Eternal Darkness, Eternal Tear, Evoken, Eyes of Ligeia, Fall of Empyrean, The Fall Of Every Season, Forest of Shadows, Forest Stream, Insanity Reigns Supreme, Lapsus Dei, Mael Mórdha, Mar de Grises, Morgion, Mourning Beloveth, Musaka, My Dying Bride, My Shamefull, Mystic Charm, Mythic, Mythological Cold Towers, Ningizzia, Novembers Doom, October Tide, Officium Triste, Ophis, Ordog, Paradigma, Paradise Lost(ONLY firts 5 albums), Paramaecium, Poema Arcanus, Runemagic, Saturnus, Serpent Rise, Solarfall, This Tangled Web, Thorr's Hammer, Thy Sinister Bloom, Vaikus, Whispering Forest, Why Angels Fall, Winter,

4)Funeral Doom: Ahab, Asunder, Beprasmybe, Beyond Black Void, Colosseum, Consummatum Est, Dark Abyss, Dictator, Dionysian, Dusk Ov Shadows, The Eleventh Room, The Ethereal, Funeral, The Funeral Orchestra, Funerary Dirge, I Drowned In A Stream Of Mourn, Longing For Dawn, Lux Incerta, Misery, Monolithe, Mournful Congregation, Night Must Fall, Nortt, Oktor, Remembrance, Shape Of Despair, Skepticism, Solicide, Stabat Mater, Thergothon, Through the Valley, Tyranny, Until Death Overtakes Me, Worship

5)Gothic/Doom: Autumn(Rus), Autumn Flowers, Black Fever, Cemetery of Scream, Chalice, Dark Embrace, Desiderium, Draconian, Ecthalion, Elbereth, Evadne, Even Vast, Heaven Grey, How Like a Winter, Lacrimas Profundere(ONLY old albums, I even dont wanna hear new gay/emo days works, adult poeple emo, shame),Lake of Tears , Left Hand Solution, Lords of the Stone, Luminaria, Revelation, Silent Cry, Sundial, Thorns of the Carrion, Type o Negative

6)Sludge/Doom: 13, 137, Acid Bath , Beaten Back To Pure, Bone to Rust, Crowbar, and many others

7)Stoner/Doom: Cathedral, Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, High On Fire, and others

8)Traditional Doom: Black Sabbath, Bretwaldas of Heathen Doom, Paul Chain(Paolo Chianti), Candlemass, Cold Mourning, Count Raven, Dark Quarterer, Doomsword, Dawn of Winter, Doomraiser, Dream Death, Earthride, Faith, Fall of the Idols,Forlom, Forsaken, The Gates of Slumber, Hymn to the Ancient,Isole, Memento Mori, Memory Garden, , The Obsessed, Orodruin, Pagan Altar, Pale Divine, Penance, Raven Blacl Night, Rose, Rote Mare, Saint Vitus, Solitude Auhernus, Svald, Seprpent, Sorrows Path, Spirit Caravan, Solstice, Thunderstorm, Troble, Warning, Well of Souls, While Heaven Wept, Whitchfider General
----

apos;'
[image]
16.07.2009 - 01:06
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Im know they are also on K7s list, but I would really recommend you Estatic Fear, Ahab and Agalloch (if you don't know them yet ), they are all really awesome!
16.07.2009 - 01:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Diabolos on 16.07.2009 at 01:06

Im know they are also on K7s list, but I would really recommend you Estatic Fear, Ahab and Agalloch (if you don't know them yet ), they are all really awesome!

Man all bands what I rec are awesoem, try those to and see I ddint lie, but you need year to hear em all
----

apos;'
[image]
16.07.2009 - 01:45
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Here's a hard rock/blues/heavy playlist I compiled:

http://open.spotify.com/user/haddonfield/playlist/2AoGg5c4oTMJ2dMBkr29Jt

Shame there were sone songs I wanted to put in it but they aren't on spotify, no Led Zep?!?!?
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
16.07.2009 - 02:04
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Bad English on 16.07.2009 at 01:29

Man all bands what I rec are awesoem, try those to and see I ddint lie, but you need year to hear em all

I know a lot of the bands you listed, but those 3 are another league than the others imo
16.07.2009 - 02:07
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Diabolos on 16.07.2009 at 02:04

I know a lot of the bands you listed, but those 3 are another league than the others imo

You should try Celestial Season if you don't know them Gothic Doom cross Stoner Metal.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
16.07.2009 - 15:11
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Haddonfield on 16.07.2009 at 02:07

Written by Diabolos on 16.07.2009 at 02:04

You should try Celestial Season if you don't know them Gothic Doom cross Stoner Metal.

I'll try it out, but I'm not really a fan of that Stoner stuff
16.07.2009 - 15:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

I wouldn't call them a cross of Gothic Doom and Stoner actually. They started out as a death doom act an then switched to a full blown stoner act.
Solar Lovers has been re-released by displeased Records and i a must have by this band imo, just Sonic Orb and Forever Scarlet Passion are must haves and try to get hold of their 1992 demo Promises as well. Must have seen them live loads of times between 1992 and 1999 (not too difficuly since they started out from the city I live in, Utrecht that is) . But I prefer their death doom period by far over their stoner period.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2009 - 15:48
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2009 at 15:22

I wouldn't call them a cross of Gothic Doom and Stoner actually. They started out as a death doom act an then switched to a full blown stoner act.
Solar Lovers has been re-released by displeased Records and i a must have by this band imo, just Sonic Orb and Forever Scarlet Passion are must haves and try to get hold of their 1992 demo Promises as well. Must have seen them live loads of times between 1992 and 1999 (not too difficuly since they started out from the city I live in, Utrecht that is) . But I prefer their death doom period by far over their stoner period.

I still find that Solar Loves is a mix between doom and stoner but of course that is my opinion, I haven't heard their ealier stuff for a while but they carried some of it through to Solar Lovers whilst easing towards the stoner. But of course this is only my opinion so it not an actual fact.
----

16.07.2009 - 15:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Haddonfield on 16.07.2009 at 15:48

I still find that Solar Loves is a mix between doom and stoner but of course that is my opinion, I haven't heard their ealier stuff for a while but they carried some of it through to Solar Lovers whilst easing towards the stoner. But of course this is only my opinion so it not an actual fact.

I just put on Solar Lovers after not having listened to it for ages and yes you're right, this is a transitional album with some stoner thrown into the death doom occasion. Btw this was also the last to feature Jason Kohnen on drums. I bumped into him at this year's Roadburn and he said the reason he left the band at the time was because of the move towards stoner.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2009 - 16:07
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2009 at 15:58

Written by Haddonfield on 16.07.2009 at 15:48

I just put on Solar Lovers after not having listened to it for ages and yes you're right, this is a transitional album with some stoner thrown into the death doom occasion. Btw this was also the last to feature Jason Kohnen on drums. I bumped into him at this year's Roadburn and he said the reason he left the band at the time was because of the move towards stoner.

Take it he wasn't a fan of the odd spliff then.
----

16.07.2009 - 16:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Haddonfield on 16.07.2009 at 16:07

Take it he wasn't a fan of the odd spliff then.

He sure was a fna f the odd spliff, and most probably still is. But of corse that has nothing to do with wanting to play stoner or not
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.07.2009 - 01:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Question: What is Spotify?
----
(space for rent)
20.07.2009 - 16:23
IronAngel
Http://www.spotify.com/en/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify

I guess people who don't live in the countries it's available for free haven't used it, but it's pretty big here. It seems to be the next viable step in music distribution, and it's already very promising.
21.07.2009 - 04:17
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Written by Dane Train on 20.07.2009 at 01:41

Question: What is Spotify?

I was wondering that exact same thing haha.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
11.03.2011 - 14:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Been a while since this was updated. I recently got a paid subscription to Spotify (the £4.99 a month one), the first time I've ever spent money on such a thing (I'm a serial program downloader but there's no way around the Spotify paid account) but it's totally worth it given the amount of metal on there now (heck of a lot more than when this thread was opened you can bet) and at the moment it's particularly good for new albums, a good amount of the current reviewed stuff is up on there and there's a surprising about of underground stuff on there too (TenHornedBeast, Hyatari, Gnaw Their Tongues, Horseback, Worms of Sabnock, Teitanblood etc. - that kind of level of obscure).

So yeah, interesting playlists would be a cool thing right now.
11.03.2011 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wow when I post here I didnt know what is spotify, I have a spotify, I got an invite its pretty good for mianstream metal,
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2011 - 15:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 11.03.2011 at 14:56

Wow when I post here I didnt know what is spotify, I have a spotify, I got an invite its pretty good for mianstream metal,

There's also more than enough outside of the mainstream to keep me interested indefinitely though, I've already discovered a bunch of artists that would have otherwise gone under the radar. I transfered my music collection to the Local Files bit (so I can play my stuff straight from Spotify) and it registers as having more than half the artists in my collection as being streamable publically. I'm quite impressed, considering its target market (and the relatively obscure nature of my music taste).
11.03.2011 - 15:27
IronAngel
Hooray. I mostly have non-metal playlists, and the metal ones may be too embarassing and incomplete to share. But meh:
Post-Metal, Post-Hardcore, Screamo, Sludgy stuff
Doom, Stoner, Sludge etc.

We should totally make collaborative MetalStorm playlists. New albums of the year, and genre compilations. Not sure how many people would use them, though.
11.03.2011 - 16:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 11.03.2011 at 15:27

Hooray. I mostly have non-metal playlists, and the metal ones may be too embarassing and incomplete to share. But meh:
Post-Metal, Post-Hardcore, Screamo, Sludgy stuff
Doom, Stoner, Sludge etc.

We should totally make collaborative MetalStorm playlists. New albums of the year, and genre compilations. Not sure how many people would use them, though.

Cheers for those, my first subcribed playlists =']

Yeah I only realised the other day that Spotify is still Europe-only so might not be that popular on here yet.
11.03.2011 - 18:34
Luneth
Account deleted
I recently stopped using Spotify, didn't want to keep paying for the premium membership and the free service sucks...plus it sucks up bandwidth like a vacuum sucking up dirt, but the playlist that kinda got me 'grounded' into metal was this one.

Lots of genres in there, Power, Symphonic, Black, Doom, Death, you name it.
29.12.2011 - 13:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Made this one a couple of months ago, quite proud of it. Goes against the "traditional" playlist ethos and contains whole albums rather than scattered songs. Pretty much every album I think is great that's on Spotify. A hefty playlist (500 songs).

Ultimate Black Metal
29.12.2011 - 14:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've never been a fan of playlists. I often put one together but end up shuffling everything or picking songs for the moment.
----
29.12.2011 - 15:17
IronAngel
Written by Guest on 29.12.2011 at 13:48

Made this one a couple of months ago, quite proud of it. Goes against the "traditional" playlist ethos and contains whole albums rather than scattered songs. Pretty much every album I think is great that's on Spotify. A hefty playlist (500 songs).

Ultimate Black Metal

Cool, subscribed.

I love making playlists, I have a bunch, but I rarely listen to them. I just browse them to refresh my memory and pick an album to play, usually.
29.12.2011 - 15:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 29.12.2011 at 15:17

Cool, subscribed.

I love making playlists, I have a bunch, but I rarely listen to them. I just browse them to refresh my memory and pick an album to play, usually.

Cheers. Yeah same here really. It's nice just making organised lists and they're great for reference. Saves forgetting gems you find.
29.12.2011 - 15:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
30.12.2011 - 13:31
IronAngel
Haha, that's a pretty sophisticated spam bot; unless it's some poor bastard getting paid for spamming.

Gonna clean up my lists and maybe post them here, but it'll be until next week; too much work with the 2011 top list right now. Right now I have a 21-hour playlist (individual tracks, not albums) of post-rock, modern classical, ambient, drone, experimental electronic, even some neoclassical (like film scores etc.) and chamber folk stuff. That one, for example, really needs to be split into several lists.
02.03.2012 - 11:01
naldrin
Written by Bad English on 16.07.2009 at 00:49

5)Gothic/Doom: Autumn(Rus), Autumn Flowers, Black Fever, Cemetery of Scream, Chalice, Dark Embrace, Desiderium, Draconian, Ecthalion, Elbereth, Evadne, Even Vast, Heaven Grey, How Like a Winter, Lacrimas Profundere(ONLY old albums, I even dont wanna hear new gay/emo days works, adult poeple emo, shame),Lake of Tears , Left Hand Solution, Lords of the Stone, Luminaria, Revelation, Silent Cry, Sundial, Thorns of the Carrion, Type o Negative

Thanks for sharing this list. I already know some of the bands but there are still so many I have not heard about yet. Will definitely check them and I am pretty sure that there are some which I will definitely like. For example I love "Autumn Flowers". The name of the band is great because I love everything that has to do with flowers and this always reminds me that I should contact a florist in Cambridge and send flowers to my mum. Already looking forward to check all the bands.