Metal Storm logo
"Until the Light Takes Us" black metal documentary

15.07.2009 - 23:22
Conservationist

Has anyone seen this thing yet? Apparently it involves interviews with Fenriz and Varg as well as others from the early 1990s black metal scene.
16.07.2009 - 00:44
Hamird
Lieutenant
Any links? Any information?
16.07.2009 - 09:19
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Its just another documentary about Norwegian Black Metal. Fenriz and Varg take most of the focus but there are others featured in it too like Hellhammer, Frost, Garm, Abbath, Demonez and some others. In general, most of this stuff is already known but its good to watch if you're curious to hear a first hand account of the early Norwegian Black Metal movement. I don't think the focus of the documentary was to detail history though. I think it was more focused on imagery combined with random statements. Hellhammer condones the murder done by Faust in it for instance but there are no real history and facts brought out to represent that particular event. Doesn't have anything to do with the music really but its reasonably fun to watch if you're a fan.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
16.07.2009 - 18:59
Conservationist

From the website:

"In 1991, Norwegian churches started to burn, just after an underground circle of metal musicians had formed. While reporters and police scrambled for answers, more and more churches went up in flames. They had no leads until Varg Vikernes, one of the architects of an underground music-art-political scene known as BLACK MEAL took credit and was quickly arrested. While he was in police custody, the media ran a largely fabricated story of satanic rituals, abductions and sacrifices. This film reveals the true story behind the music, murders and church burnings, and shows what happened when these young men, who tried to change the world using music, art and violence, found that they could not control what they had created."

Also worth seeing:

Until the Light Takes Us trailer (1:33)
17.07.2009 - 02:03
Conservationist

"Until the Light Takes Us," a black metal documentary

Interview with filmmakers Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites

"The film is about black metal, but we also deal with wider issues and it is relevant to the larger culture, not just fans of the genre. I am a filmmaker before I'm a fan, and a person before I'm a filmmaker, so there are a few masters that I serve when I make something. This is a communication between us and the world."

Interview with Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites (Until the Light Takes Us)

Until the Light Takes Us is a documentary of the early 1990s black metal scene in Norway. Featuring interviews with Varg Vikernes, Fenriz of Darkthrone and other foundational members of the early black metal community, it is a documentary meant to appreciate black metal the way it should always have been: as an artistic movement against the modern world, gravitating toward mythic imagination through intense music, murder and fire.

Until the Light Takes Us homepage
17.07.2009 - 05:56
Conservationist

There's some bad news for black metal -- the new "Lords of Chaos" movie is going to use hip-hop instead of black metal. Poke around the website and you'll see.
17.07.2009 - 06:05
Piro

Wait... So this Lords of Chaos movie has nothing to do with the book? That's a bummer, even though the book is apparently filled with inaccurate details.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
17.07.2009 - 08:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Well, if those "inaccurate details" have anything to do with varg, rest assured, it's his own inconsistencies. dude has been rehashing his own story for, what, 15 years now. and just like snowflakes, no two are alike.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.07.2009 - 15:53
Piro

I really can't comment too well here since I haven't actually read the whole book. But Varg has stuck relatively close to his story hasn't he? Other than the newspaper interviews where he claimed responsibility for a bunch of crap, he's held onto (albeit stubbornly) to his alternate series of events.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
31.07.2009 - 14:41
Skøllgrim
Northern
Black metal documentaries are always a blast watching, I've already seen pretty much all there is out there, and this one is not going to be an exception, however I'm not looking forward to the release of the Lords of Chaos Hollywood mainstream movie, seeing that black metal musicians say that the book is full of lies and that a "pretty boy" Twilight actor is going to portray Varg, I feel its going to become a big epic failure of never before seen amounts. Since this isn't going to be a documentary, but rather a full length Hollywood release, I can only hope the movie focuses on being artsy fartsy or weird rather than being a big boring mainstream moral preacher.... "mhmyes extreme music is bad, black metal is bad mhmyes quite, etc" Well that's my thoughts anyway.
11.08.2009 - 20:41
Conservationist

Interesting review:

Quote:

Something draws all of us to metal, and no one has asked yet what it is -- until now. Two brave indie filmmakers set out to learn about the phenomenon of Norwegian black metal from the early 1990s, and explain to us why it happened. In doing so, they hope to show us our world in a new light: how modernity has made culture, history and even truth dubious and lost in a flow in chaotic information.

"Until the Light Takes Us" review

About time someone put metal on the big screen and tried to explain it.
05.10.2010 - 00:56
JD
Account deleted
Interesting documentary, but seriously what about "Lords of Chaos" never heard of this movie!
05.10.2010 - 05:00
..ExoTeaR..

Ive decided to Ebay this movie. cheers for making me aware of it.
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
27.10.2010 - 20:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Just watched this... kind of depressing towards the end. Rather interesting for a black metal newbie.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.10.2010 - 20:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
The movie's atmosphere is quite melancholic, but like I explained in a previous post (two, actually, in "Recommend Me Metal Documentaries" and "Last Movie You Saw"), it doesn't actually offer much insight into the genre, but rather to the standard set of tales most of us should be familiar with about the early Norwegian black metal scene.

EDIT: Himann already explained it, whatever though.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.10.2010 - 00:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by K✞ulu on 27.10.2010 at 20:16

Just watched this... kind of depressing towards the end. Rather interesting for a black metal newbie.

Why?

I haven't seen it, most likely won't see it, I'm not really expecting to learn much new from it. Nor do I really care what happened 'behind the scenes'. I know why I like Black metal, don't really need to know why others like it.

Anyway, your comment did make me curious so maybe you can explain it? PM if it are 'spoilers', please.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.10.2010 - 07:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Lucas on 28.10.2010 at 00:25

Written by K✞ulu on 27.10.2010 at 20:16

Why?

I haven't seen it, most likely won't see it, I'm not really expecting to learn much new from it. Nor do I really care what happened 'behind the scenes'. I know why I like Black metal, don't really need to know why others like it.

Anyway, your comment did make me curious so maybe you can explain it? PM if it are 'spoilers', please.

i'm gonna spoil it right now.

Euronymous dies.

the twist at the end... it wasn't the butler or his estranged ex-wife that committed the murder. Varg did it. In the apartment. With the knife.

there, i've ruined it for you.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.10.2010 - 15:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by BitterCOld on 29.10.2010 at 07:32

i'm gonna spoil it right now.

Euronymous dies.

the twist at the end... it wasn't the butler or his estranged ex-wife that committed the murder. Varg did it. In the apartment. With the knife.

there, i've ruined it for you.

Come to think of it, this story might make a good comedy-horror flick. I'm taking this idea back to Metal Storm HQ!
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.10.2010 - 18:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lucas on 29.10.2010 at 15:47

Come to think of it, this story might make a good comedy-horror flick. I'm taking this idea back to Metal Storm HQ!

the one on Wall Street or in Dubai?
29.10.2010 - 20:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Valentin B on 29.10.2010 at 18:37

Both of those offices were built in '09, so we're kinda sick of them now. We're having someone build a new HQ though, in Singapore. It's gonna be awesome. It's gonna have a Patrón fountain in the entrance hell.
----

29.10.2010 - 20:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lucas on 29.10.2010 at 20:42

Written by Valentin B on 29.10.2010 at 18:37

Both of those offices were built in '09, so we're kinda sick of them now. We're having someone build a new HQ though, in Singapore. It's gonna be awesome. It's gonna have a Patrón fountain in the entrance hell.

it's funny we're talking about it this way when in fact the "Metal Storm Head Office" is most likely just a computer server in a dark, dusty room somewhere in Estonia
30.10.2010 - 04:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I want dual towers, this time, with a bridge connecting the two buildings somewhere around the 35th floor or higher.
----

30.10.2010 - 13:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BitterCOld on 30.10.2010 at 04:10

I want dual towers, this time, with a bridge connecting the two buildings somewhere around the 35th floor or higher.

i think that would go along nicely with the deluxe nuclear bunker on the lowest level(you never know when the guys at Diminished might strike back). complete with a jacuzzi.
30.10.2010 - 14:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I like where this is going....

I was going to say something about strippers and coke and free invites for all, but unfortunately I'm a moderator, so I'll have to revert you all back on topic.
----

02.11.2010 - 05:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 30.10.2010 at 04:10

that would start a war between Singapore and Malaysia because KL in Malaysia already has such a structure... Called the Petronas Twin Towers and lemmer guarantee you walking that bridge is scarier than listening to Euro Flower metal.

But damn HQ in S'pore awesome gift from you guys to me. Finally back to the country where I first came into contact with metal. And meeting up with old friends as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2011 - 05:34
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Honestly this is a pretty shitty documentary. It's just a bunch of random interviews and imagery with no main theme or focus, jumping from the church burnings to the murder to random present day stuff. It might be cool to someone who doesn't know about bm, but probably not.
21.03.2011 - 18:09
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcus on 21.03.2011 at 05:34

Honestly this is a pretty shitty documentary. It's just a bunch of random interviews and imagery with no main theme or focus, jumping from the church burnings to the murder to random present day stuff. It might be cool to someone who doesn't know about bm, but probably not.

I do agree with you. It was good to watch a pretty decent interview with Varg after being out of prison though.
21.03.2011 - 20:54
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Guest on 21.03.2011 at 18:09

I do agree with you. It was good to watch a pretty decent interview with Varg after being out of prison though.

That's true, I really did enjoy the interviews especially hearing how out there most of Varg's views are. It's just too bad there wasn't any cohesion in the film.
25.03.2011 - 16:47
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcus on 21.03.2011 at 20:54

That's true, I really did enjoy the interviews especially hearing how out there most of Varg's views are. It's just too bad there wasn't any cohesion in the film.

Where else are you going to hear a metal head talk about cornflakes?
25.03.2011 - 17:34
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 16:47

Written by Marcus on 21.03.2011 at 20:54

Where else are you going to hear a metal head talk about cornflakes?

What blew my mind is that Fenriz (I think) liked his soggy. That's a little too grim for even Varg!