Album: A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Release date: February 1992

01. Kathaarian Life Code
02. In The Shadow Of The Horns
03. Paragon Belial
04. Where Cold Winds Blow
05. A Blaze In The Northern Sky
06. The Pagan Winter

What a change eh? From clean faces and jeans to all black and corpse paint. For A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Euronymous (who this album is dedicated to) worked with Darkthrone, getting them to make black metal. The sound of A Blaze In The Northern Sky is responsible for creating Darkthrone's legacy. It has been apparent on every album ever since.

Like typical black metal, the sound of A Blaze In The Northern Sky is frosting cold. The drums are merely there, same with the guitars and bass. The vocals are completely nocturnal. The production is quite raw, to nowadays standards, poor. However, the lack of production is really what makes DarkThrone's classic albums authentic. The lyrics are completely about paganism, occult, and of course, the northern hemisphere. Really well known tracks are "Kathaarian Life Code" and "In The Shadow Of The Horns". The first track, "Kathaarian Life Code", starts off with a nocturnal incantation that is replayed at the end of the last track, "The Pagan Winter", while closing the album.

It is justified to say that fans of Darkthrone's classic albums are divided in two. Fans of Mayhem intend to favor A Blaze In The Northern Sky, while fans of Burzum favor Transylvanian Hunger. Frankly, they're both important albums that individually played an essential role in Darkthrone's career. Ablaze In The Northern Sky is their black metal debut. Here, they played a sound that they are still playing (even though now it's mixed with punk) and are well respected for.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Vikingocalypse; | 15.07.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 27   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 279 users
15.07.2009 - 23:54
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Great little review Very special album, along with Transilvanian Hunger, my fav from Darkthrone.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.07.2009 - 01:44
Rating: 9
ColdasagravE

Nice review. The bit about what album Mayhem fans are partial to and what one the Burzum fans like was a cool touch. A Blaze In The Northern Sky is one of my favorite albums by Darkthorne, and coincidentally, I am a big fan of Mayhem.
16.07.2009 - 01:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Nice concise review.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2009 - 03:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Like I said about a hour ago "nice and concise review"

BUT WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET THE FOLLOWING IDEA FROM?

"Fans of Mayhem intend to favor A Blaze In The Northern Sky, while fans of Burzum favor Transylvanian Hunger."

Did you do a survey?
I am a fan of Mayhem and find Burzum's music mediocre at best but I like ABITNS and TH just as much.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2009 - 03:35
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2009 at 03:21

"Fans of Mayhem intend to favor A Blaze In The Northern Sky, while fans of Burzum favor Transylvanian Hunger."

Did you do a survey?
I am a fan of Mayhem and find Burzum's music mediocre at best but I like ABITNS and TH just as much.

he hired Rasmussen and Zogby to conduct a phone poll for him...

absolutely stupid, baseless remark that really has no bearing on the review.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.07.2009 - 03:50
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
For those that like the review good
for those that are fussing about mayhem and burzum...think of when you open a blaze in the nortehrn sky and see when it says "this is dedicated to the king of black/death metal underground..."

and for transylvanian hunger, half of it was written by varg and ont he first release it said "true norwegien aryan black metal".

In my opinion, both essential albums, and both spectacular listens; i own both
16.07.2009 - 03:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 16.07.2009 at 03:50

..think of when you open a blaze in the nortehrn sky and see when it says "this is dedicated to the king of black/death metal underground..."

and for transylvanian hunger, half of it was written by varg and ont he first release it said "true norwegien aryan black metal".

Yes, so what? Still no proof that fans of Mayhem prefer the one and fans of Burzum the other.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2009 - 03:55
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 16.07.2009 at 03:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2009 at 03:21

Did you do a survey?

he hired Rasmussen and Zogby to conduct a phone poll for him...

absolutely stupid, baseless remark that really has no bearing on the review.

peopel i've met HERE in vancouver. My life isn't just metalstorm like most of you. That'd be lame.
16.07.2009 - 03:58
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2009 at 03:55

Written by Guest on 16.07.2009 at 03:50

..think of when you open a blaze in the nortehrn sky and see when it says "this is dedicated to the king of black/death metal underground..."

Yes, so what? Still no proof that fans of Mayhem prefer the one and fans of Burzum the other.

You love trying to create controversy don't you?
16.07.2009 - 04:01
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by ColdasagravE on 16.07.2009 at 01:44

Nice review. The bit about what album Mayhem fans are partial to and what one the Burzum fans like was a cool touch. A Blaze In The Northern Sky is one of my favorite albums by Darkthorne, and coincidentally, I am a big fan of Mayhem.

Why yes, so am I. In fact, I think Mayhem is my favourite black metal band. At the same time I am anti-burzum but however that doesn't stop me from loving transylvanian hunger. In fact, I can't choose between it and A.B.I.T.N.S.
16.07.2009 - 04:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
And i am a fan of the Cure and prefer "Under a Funeral Moon" to either... does this mean we can infer the legions of Fat Bob fans feel the same way?

it's not "controversy", it's just baseless speculation.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.07.2009 - 04:08
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 16.07.2009 at 04:06

And i am a fan of the Cure and prefer "Under a Funeral Moon" to either... does this mean we can infer the legions of Fat Bob fans feel the same way?

the cure is a good band

It is NOT a speculation. I've met darkthrone fans here and ASKED.

who the fuck is fat bob?
16.07.2009 - 04:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 16.07.2009 at 04:08

Written by BitterCOld on 16.07.2009 at 04:06

the cure is a good band

It is NOT a speculation. I've met darkthrone fans here and ASKED.

it IS speculation. how many fans have you asked? you have not asked me... unless you conducted a "scientific" poll with over 1,000 respondents from a random sampling spread over various geographical areas from various socio-economic backgrounds, it's speculation. (and even if you did do such, there is a margin of error.)

but whatever. since the five guys in your local scene think this, it *MUST* be true, right?
----

19.07.2009 - 05:32
Rating: 10
Hyvaarin

Who the hell edited this review?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
19.07.2009 - 06:05
Lord_Regnier

To be honest, I don't understand why people bother to write reviews on a metal forum. It's a loss of time, only an invitation to those who don't share your tastes to flame you.

If I'm interested to check a band or album, all I need to do is to listen to the music by myself. I don't need to know the opinion of the metal community. Why should we bother for what the other metal fans can think of a band or album? Personally, I don't care for what the metal community in general believes. If it's great for me, fine. If it sucks for me, just too bad. I don't need to know if others agree with me or not.

Anyway, I don't see any reason why I should try to get the approval of a community I consider is composed in a proportion of over 90% of retarded douchebags who believe they know everything better than others.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
19.07.2009 - 11:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Hyvaarin on 19.07.2009 at 05:32

i the hell did.
----

19.07.2009 - 11:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.07.2009 at 06:05

To be honest, I don't understand why people bother to write reviews on a metal forum. It's a loss of time, only an invitation to those who don't share your tastes to flame you.

If I'm interested to check a band or album, all I need to do is to listen to the music by myself. I don't need to know the opinion of the metal community. Why should we bother for what the other metal fans can think of a band or album? Personally, I don't care for what the metal community in general believes. If it's great for me, fine. If it sucks for me, just too bad. I don't need to know if others agree with me or not.

Anyway, I don't see any reason why I should try to get the approval of a community I consider is composed in a proportion of over 90% of retarded douchebags who believe they know everything better than others.

The reason to write reviews, imo, to the metal community on websites is to help give bands exposure. help people uncover new worthwhile shit to check out.

The issue with reviews is too often they are not submitted for either relatively obscure stuff which should be brought to light - or new stuff (which MS staff tries to cover internally for 90 days after release) - but a huge chunk of guest reviews are written for popular past works which any vaguely knowledgeable metal fan is already familiar with and most likely owns.

Though some folks just seek validation for their opinoins via reviews, which, depending upon how (in)flexible they are is a recipe for flame war.
----

19.07.2009 - 11:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

who the fuck is fat bob?

delayed response to your question as I missed it until now... I guess you're not really a Cure fan, otherwise that would be clear to you.
----

20.07.2009 - 00:30
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 19.07.2009 at 11:31

who the fuck is fat bob?

delayed response to your question as I missed it until now... I guess you're not really a Cure fan, otherwise that would be clear to you.

ofcourse i am not a fan, a few good songs on youtube don't count as being a fan.
I thought this was a metal site so who cares about the cure?
26.07.2009 - 03:15
Rating: 10
Hyvaarin

Written by BitterCOld on 19.07.2009 at 11:20

Written by Hyvaarin on 19.07.2009 at 05:32

i the hell did.

The review's second sentence isn't strictly a sentence. The t in the band's name isn't capitalised. Exactly how are the drums, guitars and bass "merely" there? Band names generally aren't italicised. Fans of Mayhem tend to favour this album, they don't intend to (if this point is even true). The album is not called Ablaze.... Just saying.

Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.07.2009 at 06:05

Posting reviews isn't about winning popularity or making enemies. It's a very good way to discuss music and explain just what we like/dislike about it.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
04.01.2010 - 21:02
SatyriconChick

Interesting review. I have to personally agree about the Mayhem/Burzum thing - I am a fan of Mayhem and not a fan of Burzum at all, and I definitely prefer Blaze... (and Under a Funeral Moon as well, for that matter) to Transilvanian Hunger. Anyhow, this is a classic album, with one of Darkthrone's greatest songs IMO in "In the Shadow of the Horns." Classic stuff!
05.01.2010 - 00:39
Lord_Regnier

Written by SatyriconChick on 04.01.2010 at 21:02

Interesting review. I have to personally agree about the Mayhem/Burzum thing - I am a fan of Mayhem and not a fan of Burzum at all, and I definitely prefer Blaze... (and Under a Funeral Moon as well, for that matter) to Transilvanian Hunger. Anyhow, this is a classic album, with one of Darkthrone's greatest songs IMO in "In the Shadow of the Horns." Classic stuff!

I also like ABITNS and UAFM a bit more than "Transylvanian Hunger".

As for Burzum and Mayhem, I never liked them at all. When it comes to early 90s Norwegian BM, I think Darkthrone and Satyricon are much much better than Burzum and Mayhem.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.02.2010 - 18:19
Slayer666

I could never get into this album. If you ask me, both Transilvanian Hunger and Under a Funeral Moon kick it right in the balls.
Funny thing, right now I prefer Burzum over Mayhem, but a month ago it was the other way around. Awesome stuff, both of them.
07.09.2012 - 23:24
Oaken
Hipster
Simple, good stuff. A lot of the riffs sound the same though, because they all try to sound gr1m and kvlt. I prefer Transilvanian Hunger to it.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
05.02.2013 - 23:21
Rating: 9
squidrick420

I like both Burzum and Mayhem a ton, therefore i like A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Transilvanian Hunger quite a bit. Both are badass black metal albums if i do say so myself. Can't forget about Under A Freezing Moon though, that one is right up there on this list
13.10.2016 - 16:55
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 13.10.2016 at 15:57

My rating:
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9
love this album, 9.99/10

Thank you.
13.10.2016 - 20:57