03. Baku
04. Purple
05. Slappy
06. B-FI
07. Awake In Exile
08. Neverending Way
09. Mad World
10. One Man In The World

"Human Rock School" is the first album of a new Parisian Metal/Rock act, Ink City and I'm happy today because we're finally in front of a smart combo who didn't choose to follow trends or copy X or Y. The quartet produces original music, poppy and accessible on a side that's right but definitely not in the trends or something. With "Human Rock School" I have the feeling to come back in the middle of the 90's but with 00's influences. The best thing for you is to listen to the album and you'll understand what I mean, this band is just original and their music is cool. So what are you waiting for?

"Human Rock School" is a perfect name because the first album of Ink City could perfectly represent what a rock school should be! How come? Well because the music is a good old blending of different genres, Rock being the main influences of course. From Pop to Metal, Ink City proposes something attractive, which could be compared to Anouk (even if the voices of the two singers aren't similar?) mixed with classic Hard Rock, Rock a la Red Hot Chili Peppers and even Progressive rock as the songs are deep and complex. This is not music demonstration too, the songs features choruses, verses etc but this is not so simple despite the fact that the music remains Pop and accessible. The alchemy is just good; the band plays modern Metal which should convince old like young metalheads.

Lena's voice lacks a bit of power but she is good nonetheless and I'm quite sure that she will be better with time and experience. All in all, the band features good musicians and the best part of the whole story is that their music is refreshing. Yes, the whiny reviewer that I'm who is always complaining about the lack of originality in the new releases must shut his fucking mouth today because "Human Rock School" is original! The multiple influences used by the bands are perfectly mixed and give a lovely personal music. "Human Rock School" is a good surprise for me!

If you're a bit open-minded and like Guano Apes, the Red Hot, classic Hard Rock and even Prog Metal, "Human Rock School" is a must! Everything's not perfect yet but for a first album this is extremely promising. I will keep an eye on Ink City, this band could become something I'm convinced! Don't miss this release if you're looking for entertaining catchy Metal!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 15.07.2009

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 24 users
17.07.2009 - 05:27
Fat & Sassy!

Nice review! Sounds interesting. I agree with the whole originality thing. Lately, that's all I look for in bands.
22.07.2009 - 22:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Wow, it's the first time i've ever seen someone mention some kind of "00's" influence, i wonder what those sound like, hahah

Hits total: 3383 | This month: 9