08. Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion)
09. London
10. Screaming In Digital
11. I Will Remember
12. Gonna Get Close To You [12" version, bonus]
13. Killing Words, The [live, bonus]
14. I Dream In Infra Red [91 acoustic remix, bonus]
15. Walk In The Shadows [live, bonus]

Queensrÿche remains among the most influential bands of American metal history. The first seven years of their career are legendary and their songs are recognizable on the spot for their sound and uniqueness.

"Rage for Order", Queensrÿche's second full length album is fantastic to say the least. Each of their first three albums was a progression into something greater. "Rage for Order" was caught in between their first full length album "The Warning" and their masterpiece "Operation: Mindcrime". The songs are fulfilling and original, something of which is somewhat rare in the music world.

Like only an 80's rock band could, they brought progressive metal to the table mixed at parts with some British-inspired vocal scales (think Halford). The songs range from more upbeat, energetic songs like "Walk in the Shadows" to more emotional, slower paced songs like "The Whisper" and "Gonna Get Close to You". But through these musical differences they maintain their power and influence on the listener. They continue to impress as it transitions into song after jaw-breaking song. One of the more famous songs off the album is "Surgical Strike". Brought to light in many of their concerts, this faster paced song contains all a headbanger needs; high-pitched vocals, pounding drums and of course, some speedy and intricate riffs. Mixes of the two distinctions include "Neue Regel" and the more widely known "The Killing Words". If you are asking what Queensrÿche sounds like, you may have to see for yourself. If you are familiar this album's successor, 1988's "Operation: Mindcrime", I can say it is indeed similar. It's not a concept album like "Mindcrime", but it sounds more similar than their self-titled EP.

The lyrics on each song will speak to you. Whether or not you can relate to them, you will at least be able to feel their influence. "Chemical Youth (We are Rebellion)" is one of the more relatable songs. It speaks of peace and the young generation's responsibility to spread and uphold it in a world covered in fear by the Cold War. Another of these more relatable songs is "I Will Remember". A song about the growing technology age; it ponders the good old days when technology did not control our lives but we did. Education was the key and the only key. Thus it asks the question, "Does accessibility kill our dreams?"
This album is essential to anyone who claims to be an 80's metal buff. If you are such a person and have not heard this album; do so immediately! If 80's metal isn't your thing, then check out Queensrÿche from a distance; maybe a greatest hits album. But Queensrÿche is too influencial of a band to just pass them by. This album among its surrounding others is proof of such it will leave you mesmerized.

Highlights: (Most of the songs are excellent and you should listen to the album entirely. If you refuse, start with these): "Walk in the Shadows", "I Dream in Infrared", "The Whisper", "Surgical Strike", "Neue Regel", "Chemical Youth (We are Rebellion)"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by un4givendemon | 09.09.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 59 users
18.07.2009 - 14:35
DayFly

Best thing the band did. Too bad they tarted up their image for the album, it would be more widely appreciated if they hadn't.
18.07.2009 - 14:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 18.07.2009 at 14:35

Best thing the band did. Too bad they tarted up their image for the album, it would be more widely appreciated if they hadn't.

Well, I disagree it is the best thing they did, but till a great album nonetheless (I prefer their debut ep, The Warning and Operation: Mindcrime over Rage For Order) But like you said "Too bad they tarted up their image for the album, it would be more widely appreciated if they hadn't." and this image thing is probably the reason some people seem to regard Queensryche as a glam/hair metal band.

A nice review although I find it a glaring oversight that nowhere in the review is it mentioned that "Gonna Get Close To You" is actually a DalBello cover.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2009 - 20:47
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.07.2009 at 14:52

A nice review although I find it a glaring oversight that nowhere in the review is it mentioned that "Gonna Get Close To You" is actually a DalBello cover.

Or just about the creepiest song ever!
----
(space for rent)
27.08.2016 - 00:52
Rating: 9
BlankFile

Really cool album. Not their best, but still a really good one.

Hits total: 11039 | This month: 15