Metal Storm logo
Pain Of Salvation - Ending Themes: On The Two Deaths Of Pain Of Salvation review

Reviewer:

41 users:
Band: Pain Of Salvation
Album: Ending Themes: On The Two Deaths Of Pain Of Salvation
Style: Progressive metal, Progressive rock
Release date: February 2009

Disc I [First Season: SixWorlds / EightDays (Documentary)]
01. The Pilot: Foreword
02. One: Final Rehearsal
03. Two: Leaving Entropia
04. Three: Should We Say 'Hi' First?
05. Four: Put A Lock On Your Mouth
06. Five: Suspicious Minds
07. Six: Stay Humble
08. Seven: Busy With Metal
09. Eight: Onehundredandsixteendecibel
10. Epilogue: The First Death Of
+ Somewhere In Europe
+ Easter Egg
+ Non Making Of
+ Dea Pecuniae 3D
+ Commentaries
+ Sneak Preview
+ Sticky Fingers
+ And More...

Disc II [Second Season: Touching You Harder (Live In Amsterdam)]
01. Scarsick
02. America
03. Nightmist
04. ! (Foreword)
05. Handful Of Nothing
06. New Year's Eve
07. Ashes
08. Undertow
09. Brickworks 1 (Parts II-IV)
10. Chain Sling
11. Diffidentia
12. Flame To The Moth
13. Disco Queen
14. Hallelujah [Leonard Cohen cover]
15. Cribcaged
16. Used
+ Quiz
+ On The Set
+ Bootlegs
+ Deleted Scenes
+ Sneak Previews
+ Casting Try Outs
+ And More...

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. In short, the limited edition DVD is definitely worth your money but read the rest of the review as well, will ya? Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

"I like pizazz. I like bonuses. I like my audio and video packages special. I like them limited if possible." That is how I started the review of Moonspell's latest DVD Lusitanian Metal. I had very high expectations for that one and essentially the band failed to deliver. Now, I had at least as high – if not higher – expectations for the new Pain of Salvation DVD. The moment I had it in my hands I knew that it is currently one of the best video packages around.

The key to producing an incredible package lies not in doing the best video and audio production ever. Cramming a lot of extras and bonus materials along ain't it either. No – though, admittedly, all of that helps. The key is the humorous finesse of producing the package as a whole that makes you smile when you see it, that makes you feel better after having experienced it. However, to appreciate it all, this time you really have to have the limited edition on your hands. Why? Well...

The limited edition of Ending Themes is essentially revolving around the concept of TV-series and the package is done accordingly. It's a box-set consisting of Season One: The First Death of Pain of Salvation, Season Two: The Second Death of Pain of Salvation, Season Two for seeing impaired, and lavish over 50-page booklet. Season One is a documentary about the first week of the 2005 Spring Tour. Season Two is a live show in Amsterdam which I think – pardon me for lack of research here – was the last gig with drummer Johan Langell, or at least one of the last. Seeing impaired version is the audio of the live recording. Now, admit that this is an excellent name for the live audio, isn't it?

As far as the recorded gig is concerned then it is of very good quality. It's recorded in Paradiso, Amsterdam, which I think is an awesome venue, given the gigs recorded there that I've seen. It's almost two hours long which is reasonable for Pain of Salvation. I have seen Pain of Salvation twice during the Hellfest festivals but a stand-alone gig ain't comparable to that. In comparison to BE live DVD show it's an ordinary gig, not a rehearsed half theatrical performance. However, it's still good. I won't go into greater detail here, though. See and enjoy for yourself.

I really like that the documentary was given such a prominent position in this package. It's on the first DVD, or Season One. Not a big deal as such. However, it brings the documentary from the ordinary bonus material status to the equal level with the recorded gig. It actually gives you the feeling about the whole package of not so much of a live DVD but a story of one band in two acts. Plus, the documentary in itself is a pleasant past-time, giving a good impression of the ways of the band.

However, what I liked the most about this limited release, is the humour. It's everywhere. The booklet describing the "episodes;" the time-warped commentary on the documentary; the Quiz which unlocks the bonus material; the Easter Egg; and of course the TV-series-like finishing touch to the package. It's creative. It grabs attention. It makes you smile. On the whole, it gets one thing across. A lot of effort has gone into making this thing as good as possible. And they have succeeded in making it one of the best around.

Written on 19.07.2009 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 6   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 340 users
19.07.2009 - 23:43
Evil Chip
Im thinking of buying this by Amazon.
20.07.2009 - 03:00
Rating: 10
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I found this wonderful DVD in my local bookstore. Yes I shocked for finding such a rare things (especially here in the US) and also for the price tag, only $25 for one of the best DVDs I've ever seen
----
23.07.2009 - 22:44
Erunámë
I totally agree! Great DVD
27.07.2009 - 01:35
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I've never heard Scarsick songs sound so good as they do on this one, but I had some problems with a few minor non-band things. The lighting is awful, the house lights are on and reveal everything in the venue losing focus on the performance. The audience noise level is distracting during softer parts. I'm not sure if they hired the same video editor as Nevermore but those bizarre cuts and weird edits only make viewing less enjoyable. Other than that, the extras and performance are worth the <$30 price tag, and it makes the pain of not being able to see them this year slightly more bearable.
11.08.2009 - 05:04
DamianGrosse
Account deleted
Wanna get it!
16.08.2011 - 12:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I love this DVD. What I love most about it is the live show, as I usually do. The audience is amazing and the fact that they played so many songs from the past is a delight to a PoS fan.

The documentary is pretty interesting as well if you want to know the personalities in the band a little bit better.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 8038 | This month: 10