Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
08.05.2015 - 10:08
Amy

Written by deadone on 08.05.2015 at 09:06

Written by Amy on 08.05.2015 at 08:43

I suppose that may make metal fans more critical thinkers. Then again, there is no real way to justify that assertion either.

In my experience most real life metalheads aren't critical thinkers. Most are of average intelligence and many are actually kinda dumb. Most display conformist tendencies but rather conform to mainstream standards, they conform to metal standards.

But isn't that true about most subcultures?
----
\m/
08.05.2015 - 18:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 08.05.2015 at 18:27

Written by Amy on 08.05.2015 at 10:08

But isn't that true about most subcultures?

Pretty much. It's true to most human beings really.

you hit the nail its true ... if there be hip hop storm it would be damn great read damn retard comments
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.05.2015 - 14:53
Kinetic

I think people that listen to metal seem to be more tolerant in some social aspects than others. But curiously, when it comes to musical tolerance, they're just as thick headed as everyone else. I've never quite understood this whole "true metal" scene that even though is not openly declared by many, it's still present. There are always people who take a long ass turd on bands that decide to take a different route. They either choose to scream at the top of their lungs that "they're going mainstream" or change their worlds eloquently to convey that message. I agree in that some cases bands try to go for sounds that are appealing to a broader audience when money seems to take a higher priority, but more than often that's not the case. People seem to forget that they're still playing an obscure music that will never closely reach the massive popularity of other genres. This is also one of the reasons why we don't we don't have a rising number of bands trying to redefine themselves.

I believe that these nay sayers are a vocal minority and for the most part fans do have other musical interests, but it's not in by any or way or form something to gloat about in general. The metal audience are just like anyone else.

I think the only reason why it may seem that we are critical thinkers or more intelligent than others is due to the presumption that we see the world differently. And while that may be somewhat true, due to the harsh nature of lyrical content, there is no correlation that it make us better thinkers. It just give us the emotional and rational tools to be see things through a darker perspective that most people don't emphasize that much. It's certainly not the only one in the world though.
The way I went about this was to mingle this perception nonchalantly with other views, experiences or whatever you want to call it.To dwell on this metal scene like it's a special thing of your own is just...bad. There are no reasons for a human being to confine himself/herself to one dimension. And the same goes for bands regardless of genre(s) they're known for.
12.05.2015 - 22:55
ADIresiduos

Written by Bad English on 23.04.2015 at 11:34

Written by angel. on 23.04.2015 at 11:30

Written by M C Vice on 23.04.2015 at 11:28

psst... I think you left a comma out. Better fix it before someone sees it.

what is comma?

Imo this sign , ,,,,, or coma where ppl are sleeping he might make spelling error

Guys, I believe MC Vice was just being sarcastic... haha........ weren't yoy MC?
12.05.2015 - 23:12
ADIresiduos

Being intelligent or not, there's not much difference if you listen to metal or rap or pop; you either are because you like to learn things and be rational with your ideas or you aren't because you prefer to be average and don't want to waste time thinking... you prefer to use your head only to hold your baseball cap and hang your ears............
Enjoying music (whichever genre) is something that you feel, not think about.
13.05.2015 - 18:12
raveneffect

I used to be a regular student. Now...I guess I'm being a little devious here, "regular" is a gentle way of putting it. I was bad...pretty bad to be honest. I used to try hard but failed at everything I wanted to do in life. I had the motivation but lacked the Inteligence to excell so my dream of being a Neurosurgeon were as dead as Janis Joplin's sorry ass. It was sad. Depressing. I started to drink. I couldnt live with myself. Couldn't eat. Couldn't sleep. There was no excape. Bought a gun. Thought about it. Really hard.

This couldn't go on. I had to do something.

One day I just threw away all my Collection of the Greatest Bollywood hits of the 90's and went to the record store. There it was, staring back at me with that mesmerizing eye. I will never forget the day I bought "Cause of Death", it turned my life competely. I know have a PHD on Medicine, Law and Mechanical Engineering. I can say I am smarter because of Metal. It's true.
13.05.2015 - 19:05
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by raveneffect on 13.05.2015 at 18:12

I used to be a regular student. Now...I guess I'm being a little devious here, "regular" is a gentle way of putting it. I was bad...pretty bad to be honest. I used to try hard but failed at everything I wanted to do in life. I had the motivation but lacked the Inteligence to excell so my dream of being a Neurosurgeon were as dead as Janis Joplin's sorry ass. It was sad. Depressing. I started to drink. I couldnt live with myself. Couldn't eat. Couldn't sleep. There was no excape. Bought a gun. Thought about it. Really hard.

This couldn't go on. I had to do something.

One day I just threw away all my Collection of the Greatest Bollywood hits of the 90's and went to the record store. There it was, staring back at me with that mesmerizing eye. I will never forget the day I bought "Cause of Death", it turned my life competely. I know have a PHD on Medicine, Law and Mechanical Engineering. I can say I am smarter because of Metal. It's true.

And here I was reading the first paragraph as it was a serious story
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.03.2016 - 19:09
Sang Dalang Abu

50/50 agree.

But I think people who listen to Dark Ambient, Avant-garde, Experimental, Harsh-noise should be high priority.
14.01.2018 - 18:18
Rentana

I think that people who listen to music with controversial lyrics are more analytical. Whether it be metal or any other genre, I think that meaningful lyrics that make you think help improve you way of looking at things with multiple viewpoints. I think you have a point, but it applies to genres outside of metal as well. Books and other things with controversial topics most likely improve analytical skills as well. If thinking is required to understand it then it most likely trains your brain.
15.01.2018 - 01:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Tony Teh Towel on 05.03.2016 at 03:26

Yeah metal isnt about being necessarily heavy but it is on average more complex than other contemporary music is

Simple minded people can't process and as such do not like metal because they cannot even comprehend it, give them a simple 4/4 beat on loop with a black guy talking over it and they'll be good to go though

You should be embarrassed by this.

This thread is AIDS. Metal fans may or may not be more intelligent, but they're definitely more socially inept.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.01.2018 - 05:32
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.01.2018 at 01:41

Written by Tony Teh Towel on 05.03.2016 at 03:26

Yeah metal isnt about being necessarily heavy but it is on average more complex than other contemporary music is

Simple minded people can't process and as such do not like metal because they cannot even comprehend it, give them a simple 4/4 beat on loop with a black guy talking over it and they'll be good to go though

You should be embarrassed by this.

This thread is AIDS. Metal fans may or may not be more intelligent, but they're definitely more socially inept.

15.01.2018 - 12:50
nikarg

Scrolling through recent Decapitated or Behemoth news proves that metalheads can be really dumb unfortunately, just like everyone else.
15.01.2018 - 13:27
tominator
At best deranged
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

No.
27.01.2018 - 04:57
Drippy.Hippie

Well, I don't feel that I'm really qualified to answer this. This sounds like a study is required. They definitely stand apart from the conventional/average person in more way than none.

I'll say this much though......Metal generally does have it's rebellious qualities, so people who naturally question things would be more likely to be drawn to it......Metal fans are more likely to think for themselves. Furthermore, Metal isn't usually simplistic musically, so it presents a greater challenge to the listener's brain in comparison to say.....Country, Reggae or Rap.
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.