Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
24.06.2012 - 05:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 24.06.2012 at 05:22
......I think I missed the joke.

It's funny because he goes on and on about metalheads being more intelligent yet his post is littered with typos. And grammatical mistakes.

That doesn't inherently mean the guy's stupid, and English probably isn't his first language, but it's still ironic.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.06.2012 - 06:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.06.2012 at 05:25

It's funny because he goes on and on about metalheads being more intelligent yet his post is littered with typos. And grammatical mistakes.

That doesn't inherently mean the guy's stupid, and English probably isn't his first language, but it's still ironic.

He also is on the site with his phone, which doesn't help the problem.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.06.2012 - 07:17
Necrox

No, no, and no on average. What I mean is that metal doesn't make you smarter; like other genres it has a variety of people
24.06.2012 - 07:23
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
This thread decreased my intellegence. Especially the Yasmine vs Everyone Else bit. My head hurts from my brain trying to break out and flee.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.06.2012 - 07:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by M C Vice on 24.06.2012 at 07:23
This thread decreased my intellegence. Especially the Yasmine vs Everyone Else bit. My head hurts from my brain trying to break out and flee.

Our apologies. The Moderation team ran out of caution tape years ago when trying to warn users about k7's abuse of the English language so that area of the site lacks the appropriate nuclear activity signage. Go listen to some Tool or Pink Floyd or something and see if that helps.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.06.2012 - 16:45
Grey Wind

I think the answer is no. Metalheads are not necessarily Intelligent people, at least not by default.
Intelligent people sometimes don't even appreciate music or other arts really.
Intelligent doesn't mean you love music. I know many smart people that have no idea about metal or even rock music.
Do you think you were stupid before you started listening to metal? come on..
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
24.06.2012 - 20:13
Thrashette

It's really hard to take this thread seriously and I'm sure it's been said before, but every music genre's fanbase has its idiots and its intellectuals. Metal is no exception and I'm sure there are countless examples on this site to support that statement.
Someone I know said that just about all the metalheads he's met are either nerds or stoners. That actually does seem to be the case for the majority of the ones I've met, but I also know quite a few who are neither, both, or somewhere in between... I've had both labels put on me before, but I don't consider myself either lol And now that I think a little more, most of the people I hang out with in general are probably nerds or stoners
Looking at the OP's post, I definitely encountered more metalheads when I reached university but equating that to intelligence would only bring about the debate of how well the education system actually evaluates intelligence.
24.06.2012 - 20:53
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Da?bog on 23.06.2012 at 20:54

I think they are more intaligent than average especialy the ones playing an instrument cuz creating music needs more iq...i mean almost every classic musician was a wunderkid(9ot sure how it spells), and yea if you just listen to metal and try to find some meaning in those riffs or those lyrics than you are slightly above average...i mean like its said by somebody before that ppl with higher IQ are more conserned about everything, they simply think more...(i dont know how to express myself) but i think you know what i mean...:p

i play couple of instruments,study computing, listen to black metal and can solve majority of IQ tests in few minutes but i laugh at this what you wrote...
Nice try ... music preferences have noting with IQ levels ,IQ have nothing to do with music preferences and all in all ...all those studies about music=IQ relations are poorly executed and most of the time have only value to people who try to justify their choice of music by "holier than thou" approach to other people that dont share their taste...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.06.2012 - 23:27
Da?bog

Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.06.2012 at 06:01

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.06.2012 at 05:25

He also is on the site with his phone, which doesn't help the problem.

i was drunk while i was typing....and box i use my phone cuz all neighbours locked their wifi...xD
----
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees whit your own reason and your own common sense...
24.06.2012 - 23:52
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Stupid question.... I've heard about it before, but I totally disagree.
02.07.2012 - 18:45
FOOCK Nam

Written by M C Vice on 24.06.2012 at 07:23

Check out the discussion in Discordianism enjoy the lol : D
03.07.2012 - 01:51
Josh Gottret

Of course man, I think that lyrics in a lot of songs of different genres are full of culture, they have a lot of historical stories, legends, tales and a lot of interesting things that globalize the different cultures, taking them to highs levels of knowledge in many places. Stuff that other genres of music doesn't.
10.07.2012 - 19:49
PaulLanvers

I do
23.07.2012 - 05:03
Drahcir

No. Definitely not.
10.03.2013 - 03:56
skrog1

I have to say "no way!" I've ran into a ton of dumbass metalheads in my day. I think every genre has their fair share of loser dipshit fans but I think metal has more than most.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
14.03.2013 - 21:02
Jpageforever

I've noticed they tend to be a tad more mature
15.03.2013 - 15:04
Jtbmetal123

I would say so, without metal i would know have learned about many things like how to play bass guitar or the drums. Plus, how to pretty much master Itunes as well. I would say so.
15.03.2013 - 18:00
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 15.03.2013 at 15:04

I would say so, without metal i would know have learned about many things like how to play bass guitar or the drums. Plus, how to pretty much master Itunes as well. I would say so.

Just so I'm clear, you're stating that knowing how to play bass and drums, and also understanding iTunes (which might be the simplest and most user friendly program ever) makes you intelligent? Musical instruments might aid in the development of one's analytic skills or help increase timing ability and things along those lines, but in no way does the ability to play an instrument make you more intelligent than the average person.
To answer the topic, I would say (obviously) no. Metal fans are no smarter than fans of pop or techno.
15.03.2013 - 18:46
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well not more intelligent but I say perhaps there are more intellectuals among them, hmmm and this music makes some of them to be more intellective persons.
15.03.2013 - 18:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 15.03.2013 at 18:46

Well not more intelligent but I say perhaps there are more intellectuals among them, hmmm and this music makes some of them to be more intellective persons.

You should look into the sort of people that are into jazz, now there you have intellectuals. Most metallers aren't intellectual at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2013 - 18:58
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2013 at 18:51

You should look into the sort of people that are into jazz, now there you have intellectuals. Most metallers aren't intellectual at all.

well it can be true kinda, but at the same time I think metal has got some intellectuals too,I mean there are people among them who are understanding enough, open minded and liberal :/ Is that wrong ? at least this is what I personally have experienced, and beside its musical attraction for me, I don't feel any big hate because of big amount of ignorance waving in the scene, I don't imply there isn't any at all but at least the metal scene in this aspect is less teasingly for me.
16.03.2013 - 02:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

You are talking like a an old mn

But well I agree jazz, blues, classical, pioano muisc where people study it in highest hightschools where they can,
I am ashamed to say but in old days I was watching mezzo and well jazz, blues, classical music those people ha spretty much intelect, and more than ordinary ppl

but if we compare hip hop vs metal I say metalheads has more intelct
Iron maiden for example.... retards can not learn how to fly a plain (maybe to crush in building something) , but also it is wrong to say metalheads are total retards how media specely before 90's said that we are
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.03.2013 - 03:10
Mattybu

You should look into the sort of people that are into jazz

I think if anything jazz is for those with a higher "musical IQ", when you think about the other genres like, I don't know pop or metal, they rely a lot on being catchy or energetic or easy to relate to or whatever and there's not as much in jazz cause a lot has no lyrics and no dope ass beats. I just think most are not brought up in a musical setting to prepare them for really appreciating jazz music. Although I don't wanna sound like elitist and that you have to have some background to listen to it... anyone can listen to and appreciate whatever kind of music they want.

tbh I don't think there is ANY genre of music that will retroactively turn someone intellectual, so this whole everything I wrote and this thread is pretty much irrelevant anyways, lol
16.03.2013 - 04:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Just watch footage from Wacken or Obscene Extreme (especially this).

It's practically a NASA convention.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.03.2013 - 07:43
Monolithic
♠♠♠
"Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?"

-Not necessarily.
16.03.2013 - 08:21
nasmith

Written by Mattybu on 16.03.2013 at 03:10

You should look into the sort of people that are into jazz

I think if anything jazz is for those with a higher "musical IQ", when you think about the other genres like, I don't know pop or metal, they rely a lot on being catchy or energetic or easy to relate to or whatever and there's not as much in jazz cause a lot has no lyrics and no dope ass beats. I just think most are not brought up in a musical setting to prepare them for really appreciating jazz music. Although I don't wanna sound like elitist and that you have to have some background to listen to it... anyone can listen to and appreciate whatever kind of music they want.

TBH I think that bands that play technical metal (tech death, prog, etc.) have as much intellectual legitimacy as jazz musicians in at least the skill and usually creativity required to make the music.

On the other hand, experimental/avant-garde bands can be seen as even more intellectual in the way they push the boundary of metal and not just music (because metal has been pushing the boundaries of music further and further since the beginning ). For example, Sunn O))), who play drone metal, try to play minimalist guitar music played so loudly that it gives the audience a drowsy feeling, kind of like meditation (thus it's no surprise that they get a lot of hipsters at their shows as well as metalheads). That's the kind of stuff that makes you think: Is this metal? is this even music? I personally would be interested in going to a gig by them as much as a death metal gig.

inb4stoners
16.03.2013 - 13:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.03.2013 at 04:02

Just watch footage from Wacken or Obscene Extreme (especially this).

It's practically a NASA convention.

Sarcasm doesn't come across too well without emoticons

Yeah, those two festivals are truly gatherings of the highly intelligent and intellectual people of this world Most of the people present there make the lowliest of low animals seem like total rocket scientists
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2013 - 15:25
Vombatus
Potorro
I don't think a festival footage is a very good indication on the intelligence of fans.... A lot of people just go crazy as fuck and are (quite) normal people outside of it ! Do you imagine people at Obscene Extreme being like that in everyday life ?
16.03.2013 - 19:06
Mattybu

Written by nasmith on 16.03.2013 at 08:21

TBH I think that bands that play technical metal (tech death, prog, etc.) have as much intellectual legitimacy as jazz musicians in at least the skill and usually creativity required to make the music.

On the other hand, experimental/avant-garde bands can be seen as even more intellectual in the way they push the boundary of metal and not just music (because metal has been pushing the boundaries of music further and further since the beginning ). For example, Sunn O))), who play drone metal, try to play minimalist guitar music played so loudly that it gives the audience a drowsy feeling, kind of like meditation (thus it's no surprise that they get a lot of hipsters at their shows as well as metalheads). That's the kind of stuff that makes you think: Is this metal? is this even music? I personally would be interested in going to a gig by them as much as a death metal gig.

I think playing technical death metal just requires a good understanding of your instrument and good (surprise) technique. I don't think that has any inherent connection to intelligence, just how much you practice and push yourself. And in terms of creativity a lot of tech deaths bands really aren't all too creative. A lot of tech death soloing is guitar-jerking.
16.03.2013 - 19:08
Mattybu

Written by Vombatus on 16.03.2013 at 15:25

I don't think a festival footage is a very good indication on the intelligence of fans.... Alot of people just go crazy as fuck and are (quite) normal people outside of it ! Do you imagine people at Obscene Extreme being like that in everyday life ?

lol exactly festivals aren't book club gatherings they're places designed for you to go apeshit.