03. For Whom The Bell Tolls
04. - Human
05. Wherever I May Roam
06. Outlaw Torn
07. Sad But True
08. One
09. Enter Sandman
10. Battery

Ten years after hitting their highest standards, Metallica felt that it was the time to make a change in their overall sound. "...And Justice for All" was certainly a major contribution to progressive music, but to their own opinion, not their best product. After having felt that they over-produced the Justice album, shorter songs, simpler riffs and less experimentation followed. The "radio-friendly" period, The 90's, were certainly the most successful and controversial times for the band.

"S&M" is the product of the 90's. For better or worse, this is the Soundtrack to Metallica.

It is a celebration of the relentless journey of what was best from the band to date. A very enjoyable and noteworthy live album. The band's instruments array were calibrated to enhance the orchestra's sound, and not the other way around. In my opinion, if they had put in the classic thrashy songs in the tracklist, the whole purpose of the orchestra would have been nil. I didn't quite like that they completely snubbed "Kill 'em All". Of course, we would've enjoyed more classic stuff.

This is a highly melodic performance. The best versions of some of their 90's songs are here. The live versions of "Hero of the Day", "Outlaw Torn" and "Until it Sleeps" are a must listen. Where is "Fade to Black"?, "The Unforgiven"?, "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"?. It's very well known that most of those 90's songs have a more personal note within the band, enough said.

This was the first metal album that I bought ten years ago. A huge album for a first-time listener; of course, it blew me away. My opinion has somewhat changed from that first time, as I learned from the whole band timeline (completely backwards, actually -from "S&M" to "Kill 'em All"). Something remains unscathed, however. The final product and its sound is completely overwhelming, but some might say that it falls short, specially with what they had available in their catalog, as I later found out. Not everything is perfect, though; the orchestral score of some of the classic songs (such as "One" and "Enter Sandman" could have been better.

If something could be done to uplift the mixed reviews from "Load" and "Re-Load", it was this. I'd like to say that this ended Metallica's 90's with a very high note. It's an album worth listening, and a must-have in your Metal collection.

The high notes:
*Excellent and powerful sound quality;
*It is never tiresome
*"For Whom the Bell Tolls"
*Lars Ulrich never opens his mouth and behaves pretty decently.

The low notes:

*I just plain don't like "Fuel"
*Could have been WAAAAY better!!!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Agguran | 20.07.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
The Silent Man
Rating:
Symphony & Metallica is a strange musical experiment: Metallica meets the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.
After writing the orchestration for Nothing Else Matters, conductor Michael Kamen invited The Four Horsemen to play live with an orchestra. And seven years later here's the result: some people loves it, some other hates it. I'm neutral.

Read more ››
published 09.11.2003 | Comments (8)

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 114 users
20.07.2009 - 16:17
Rating: 8
Andresopeth

This revirew is ok, but in my opinion it is more focused in Matallica's time line than in the album itself (Production, Sound quality, Tracklist, Arrangments and those stuffs). Even though i agree with the main point, the album is good but it could have been better. I like the songs they picked for this album, i guess were the ones that fit better with the orchestra, but i guess Fade To Black is missing. And yeah, the best song on the album is For Whom The Bell Tolls so far.
20.07.2009 - 17:43
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Perfect album to me.. i had some good times listening to this album.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.07.2009 - 20:30
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Lol @ the low notes: "Could have been way better"; very specific, I like it.
20.07.2009 - 23:06
Rating: 6
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
"he band's instruments array were calibrated to enhance the orchestra's sound, and not the other way around. "

The funny thing is that I actually felt the complete opposite when listening to this album. Perhaps the instruments were tuned to work with the orchestra to form a more "harmonic" sound between the two but I just felt that the orchestra was only there to add some ziffy background layers to the music. I honestly always felt this was really over rated.
21.07.2009 - 06:32
dunskii

S&M was fucking amazing, the blending of the orchestrals and heavy metal riffs. what more could you ask for?
21.07.2009 - 18:58
Agguran

Written by Paradox0 on 20.07.2009 at 23:06

"he band's instruments array were calibrated to enhance the orchestra's sound, and not the other way around. "

The funny thing is that I actually felt the complete opposite when listening to this album. Perhaps the instruments were tuned to work with the orchestra to form a more "harmonic" sound between the two but I just felt that the orchestra was only there to add some ziffy background layers to the music. I honestly always felt this was really over rated.

The fact that they performed in a closed auditorium suggests that the leaned towards the orchestral sound. A thrash band playing as loud as usual would have drowned the orchestra.
----
Hear the sound of thunder... Feel it come with all its pride... And it's all yours!
24.07.2009 - 22:00
Rating: 10
Quinaitor

Written by Andresopeth on 20.07.2009 at 16:17

This revirew is ok, but in my opinion it is more focused in Matallica's time line than in the album itself (Production, Sound quality, Tracklist, Arrangments and those stuffs). Even though i agree with the main point, the album is good but it could have been better. I like the songs they picked for this album, i guess were the ones that fit better with the orchestra, but i guess Fade To Black is missing. And yeah, the best song on the album is For Whom The Bell Tolls so far.

I agree with the part when you say that he is focused on the timeline...

to the reviewer...

are you nutts?... lyrics 7???!!! is the same freaking lyrics of studio songs -,-... shit i hate when people do this kind of things -,-... poor review... isn't it?
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
27.07.2009 - 17:14
Rating: 8
Andresopeth

Written by Quinaitor on 24.07.2009 at 22:00

to the reviewer...

are you nutts?... lyrics 7???!!! is the same freaking lyrics of studio songs -,-... shit i hate when people do this kind of things -,-... poor review... isn't it?

Yeah, the big problem of this review is that is not a review
07.08.2009 - 11:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Performance 8 ? oh god !
Production 8? maybe you have forget 90's Productions

and you have talked more about load and reload and and justice for all and.... fair enough! but why didnt you say nothin about the best song of S&M ? I mean No Leaf Clover which a lot of fans are agree with about it?
and Where is Minus Human? and originality 7? this is a Symphony and Metal as I know (plz dont answer me by Philarmonic Orchestera's which some bands did before, cause if someone knows about music he should know that Symphony is so different from Philarmonic Orchesteras)

and about old songs and 90 songs, 1/3 of songs are about 80's and 2 songs are new and one of them is intro which is about just Symphony.

just 10 song from 90, they wanted to see all fans enjoy the music not just thrashers and IMO they did it well, but to be honest Im agree with you about "Fade to Black" but as I know its very hard to play it original man, cause it needs 3 guitars as I know. and again I dont know that if they could play any song which they want in Symphony or not.
10.08.2009 - 18:46
Agguran

Written by Andresopeth on 27.07.2009 at 17:14

to the reviewer...

Fair enough. I feel that I'm being a vague. I think that the whole Metallica 'live' experience can be summarized in 'Live Shit - Binge & Purge'. Comparatively, I find that the performance in S&M is rich in sound, but I feel that some parts are just akward. Two completely different live albums. As for the lyrics, I think that I focused on Hetfield's performance rather than the lyrics themselves on the score (My mistake) -Hetfield in 'Live Shit' is a mountain of a man; I didn't quite feel the same on this album-. Should've been more specific than that. well... my first review. Need more criticism!!!
----
Hear the sound of thunder... Feel it come with all its pride... And it's all yours!
11.08.2009 - 14:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Agguran on 10.08.2009 at 18:46

Written by Andresopeth on 27.07.2009 at 17:14

to the reviewer...

Fair enough. I feel that I'm being a vague. I think that the whole Metallica 'live' experience can be summarized in 'Live Shit - Binge & Purge'. Comparatively, I find that the performance in S&M is rich in sound, but I feel that some parts are just akward. Two completely different live albums. As for the lyrics, I think that I focused on Hetfield's performance rather than the lyrics themselves on the score (My mistake) -Hetfield in 'Live Shit' is a mountain of a man; I didn't quite feel the same on this album-. Should've been more specific than that. well... my first review. Need more criticism!!!

and you did wrong, cause this is an album itself man not a Compilation !!! you havent talked about new songs and its so Weird not?
13.08.2009 - 19:01
Rating: 10
terrorist

Great album.they've shown that they are fantastic musicians and that they can fit with orchestra it is realy impresive.I think James voice has reched it's maximum with whole orchestra behind him especialy on Nothibg Else Matters.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related

Hits total: 5374 | This month: 8