Metal Storm logo
Metalhead Suffering From Severe Tinnitus And Hyperacusis Commits Suicide

Sad news in the Belgian newspapers today. Dietrich Hectors, a 29-year old Belgian metalhead (and a doctor of engineering) killed himself last Friday because he was suffering from a severe form of tinnitus and hyperacusis. Tinnitus is an incurable condition, where the ear is permanently damaged, resulting in an over-sensitivity to certain frequency ranges of sound. Despite taking some sort of medication, in the end, every single sound hurted his ears, especially his own voice. "This disease controls my life: every word hurts."

His ears got damaged permanently after a Sepultura concert in 1996. From then on, he used ear plugs for almost every loud activity. After a rehearsel with his metal band - where he forgot his plugs because he was in a hurry - his condition got worse. Eventually, Dietrich Hectors was forced to quit the band in 2003. He also gave up most of his social life - avoiding pubs etc. - locking himself up in total loneliness and silence. After visiting a small, local music festival in 2006, he took off his ear plugs, just when people started firing fireworks right next to him. When he got his plugs back in, already a few explosions had passed. The next few days, his ears started hurting like never before.

In his goodbye letter, Hectors wrote: "For the first time in my life, the ringing noise in my ears is totally unbearable. It goes beyond anything. Despite the heavier medication, EVERYTHING is hurting my ears, especially my own voice. I can no longer communicate - just when I really needed to talk with the people around me the most. A hundred times, I tried to fight back, kept myself in silence, involved in antisocial behaviour - waiting for some sort of improvement. But there is a line somewhere. That line is reached. Please respect my choice, my life has become a living hell."

He also added he now regrets his switch in musical preferences from hard-rock to heavy metal...

Dutch-speaking people can read the whole letter at this location.

May you rest in Peace and Silence, Dietrich.

Source: gva.be
Posted: 22.07.2009 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 64   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 317 users
23.07.2009 - 00:10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2009 at 18:24

Written by BloodTears on 22.07.2009 at 18:21

Even though I don't wear the earplugs I take simple measures like staying away from the fatal zones.

The entire venue is a fatal zone, not just the first couple of rows. So, always wear earplugs.

Do you advice earplugs even for gigs like Anathema and Porcupine Tree? I mean, there's not as much loudness in those shows or so I thought when I went to their shows before.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.07.2009 - 00:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 23.07.2009 at 00:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.07.2009 at 18:24

Written by BloodTears on 22.07.2009 at 18:21

Even though I don't wear the earplugs I take simple measures like staying away from the fatal zones.

The entire venue is a fatal zone, not just the first couple of rows. So, always wear earplugs.

Do you advice earplugs even for gigs like Anathema and Porcupine Tree? I mean, there's not as much loudness in those shows or so I thought when I went to their shows before.

I advice earplugs for all sorts of shows. I knwo Anathema and Porcupine Tree don't come across as loud due to the nature of their music. But it's not the music that determined ear damage, it is the vsheer volume of it all. Eeven Anathema and Porcupine Tree play lie with a volume of over 80 dBs.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2009 - 00:26
Smurfophagist
There was also a guy who was a metalhead and he played in a thrash metal band. he had a pacemaker, and pacemakers are also sensitive to certain frequencies, so he had multiple heart attacks.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
23.07.2009 - 00:50
Galar
Wicked Mung
Death by metal?
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
23.07.2009 - 01:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Sorry for hearing that and pity for him, but still i think i dont give up metal to save my ears "when there is still time"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.07.2009 - 01:21
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Elite
Of FUCKING COURSE!!!

This is not the nature of the music which will "protect" or "destroy" your ears damn, this is the "machines"! Marcel is right use earplugs god damn! Just do it if you just pretend to love music really.

I bought professional earplugs yesterday for 140? (196$). You know what? I can go to all the concerts that I want without any problems now and I will listen to the music with good sound! And I'm happy of it!

If you think that it's expensive, yes it is! But what's the price of cigarettes, booze or video games (that's just examples of course)? Think about it

And basic plastic earplugs cost 1? probably less btw. That's what I used untill now and even if it's not perfect it's usually better than nothing.

Use earplugs!!!

PS: and about the guy, if his conclusion was that it came from Metal? sorry for him. No comment needed.

REPS: no I'm not your dad and Marcel is not your mum but we won't kill ourselves because our ears hurt!
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
23.07.2009 - 02:14
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
FUCKING heavy. thats something out of a psychiatry textbook. like tardive dyskinesia or something.

rest in peace and silence man, see ya on the otherside.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.07.2009 - 02:17
Biedrik
Wow, that's just tragic. I hope that in the next world he's allowed to listen to music however loud he wants to, without any pain whatsoever. I bet that would make him happy.

And this is just another reason to wear earplugs, as if there aren't enough already. I wear them not only out of a general concern for my hearing, but also because I want to be a pilot, and if your hearing deteriorates too much you can't pass certain required medical exams.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
23.07.2009 - 02:56
El Cesar
Account deleted
Tinnitus can be caused by loud noises damaging your acoustic nerve, hyperacusis to the facial nerve but loud noises can cause damage to the muscle itself...it must've been reaaaaalllllyyyy loud music for that to happen, usually you go deaf... RIP
23.07.2009 - 03:16
Symmachus
Man, his life must have sucked. I do not think that suicide was the best way to deal with his problems, however. Also, why did he regret switching from hard rock to metal? Metal shouldn't be blamed for this; frequent exposure to dangerously loud noise should be blamed. Rest in peace, Dietrich Hectors.

PS: By the way, I used to have problems with my ears. I remember I gently hit a toy hammer for children on the right upper hemisphere and my right ear would ring momentarily. I don't have such a problem anymore, because my ears haven't been ringing as much. I think I listen to music at a responisible level.
23.07.2009 - 03:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Wow...justed showed my 14 year old daughter this story. We went to her first concert last fall = Opeth. We didn't wear any earplugs....needless to say I am gonna do some research on this subject
----
rekt
23.07.2009 - 06:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 22.07.2009 at 23:14

This makes me think once again about my choice to never wear ear plugs... but I hate those, I hate them so much!

Yeah, same here...a story like this scares me though. It may sound weird, but I don't blame him for his suicide, I don't think I'd be able to live with that kind of pain every day.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.07.2009 - 06:50
Zuzuz0r
You can learn a lot from this, I haven't attended so many shows yet, but I think that I'll take better care in following gigs, people should take better care at gigs, I've seen people faint at gigs or getting hurt badly.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
23.07.2009 - 07:15
kkktookmybaby
Written by tea[m]ster on 23.07.2009 at 03:48

Wow...justed showed my 14 year old daughter this story. We went to her first concert last fall = Opeth. We didn't wear any earplugs....needless to say I am gonna do some research on this subject

yeah, good idea, im 14 too so if your daughter, like if... nevermind

lol no im kidding but this may have been just because of his ears. some people have more sensitive ears than others. just my opinion
23.07.2009 - 09:46
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Shit, that sucks, I think I'll be using earplugs from now on, I prefer that to stop listening to my music.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
23.07.2009 - 09:59
Rozz
Yeah i watch out for this condition i know of people who had it also and did the same thing , when ever i get rining in my ears i get scared the fuck out off
23.07.2009 - 10:19
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 23.07.2009 at 06:27

Written by Warman on 22.07.2009 at 23:14

This makes me think once again about my choice to never wear ear plugs... but I hate those, I hate them so much!

Yeah, same here...a story like this scares me though. It may sound weird, but I don't blame him for his suicide, I don't think I'd be able to live with that kind of pain every day.

Totally agree, sometimes suicide has some "valid reasons" behind it.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.07.2009 - 11:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Irritable Ted on 22.07.2009 at 20:49

I wore earplugs to the next gig I went to and found that I couldn't hear that much so I took them out. Also everybody was looking at me as though I had a problem. I don't know if anybody else has had this response?

well one guy said something to me like "ah so you don't wanna hear anything at all now?" but jokingly, and i know if i hadn't worn earplugs my ears would have been thrashed like at the Priest gig last summer(i had ringing in my ears for 2 days after the show). i went to the Manowar gig with my basic foam earplugs and it was awesome, the volume was so comfortable i felt like i was watching a concert in front of my computer.

there were times i couldn't even hear the guitar(but that also has something to do with Manowar's extremely bass-heavy sound, seeing as when HolyHell played i heard pretty much everything fine), those babies are EXCELLENT and really cheap(a pack of 4 cost me the equivalent of about 1.8 euros from my local Carrefour store).
23.07.2009 - 12:25
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Uirapuru on 22.07.2009 at 17:26

Damn... what a hell... would'nt be better to become deaf?

Apparently, even if you'd become deaf, you still be aware of the ringing noise.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
23.07.2009 - 17:54
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
That is a really sad story, i cant understand this disease even if he takes his ear drums out he will still hear that ringing noise, well im never going to listen to Sepultura again!
23.07.2009 - 18:44
MissRagnarok
I hope this will FINALLY make people in the music industry and especially those organizing gigs and festivals know that it's really not that necessary to put all your amps on 11!!!! for fuck's sake, it's made me furious since forever, and this is just another reason to hate this whole mentality that everything has to be LOUD. it's nothing to do with metal as such, cause it's the same way in basically all genres these days.

I feel so sorry for this guy and I hope that they'll might actually learn from this..
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
23.07.2009 - 19:43
WarriorOfMetal
It's worth mentioning that low frequencies can do just as much (if not more) damage to your hearing as the highs...I say possibly more, because people don't think of them being as damaging.

Cheap foam earplugs don't block low frequencies very well...but they drastically reduce highs and lead to horribly muffled sound with lots of low frequencies that can still do some damage. You should look for earplugs that have a flatter frequency response...things will sound better overall, and you still get protection. If you're serious about music and can afford it, custom earplugs are the way to go (I've been wanting some for a while, I just haven't been able to afford it)...but the next best thing would be something like the Etymotic Research ER-20 or Hearos Hi-Fi (they're the same thing, just re-labeled). I've been using those for a few years, and they're significantly better than foam plugs, and not very expensive...about $10-15 at Guitar Center in the US...not sure about other places.
24.07.2009 - 01:28
kkktookmybaby
Right after i read this i turned down the volume on itunes because i got scared
24.07.2009 - 04:57
Poor guy. There's no denying it, metal is a figgen loud genre. I agree tho with whoever said it, that he should feel more regret over how little he took care of his own health than the change from Hard-Rock to metal. I'm pretty sure all the biggest hard rockers have fucked up lots of fans' ears over the years.
24.07.2009 - 07:56
totgxxx
Account deleted
Yeah this guy did the best he could and I'm sure his life was unbearable. That would suck if my favorite thing in the world (metal music) caused me unbearable pain. I would have done the same thing, especially with the severity of his condition. R.I.P. Metal brethren
24.07.2009 - 09:36
Opethian
May this guy R.I.P !
25.07.2009 - 14:11
Lord_Regnier
One more reason why I never go to gigs. The sound sucks and is way too loud. So ridiculously loud it's physically dangerous.
As if risking to be wounded when you're pushed by people wasn't already enough...

I don't understand why people pay to attend gigs, therefore taking part into this insanity.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
25.07.2009 - 15:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.07.2009 at 14:11

One more reason why I never go to gigs. The sound sucks and is way too loud. So ridiculously loud it's physically dangerous.
As if risking to be wounded when you're pushed by people wasn't already enough...

I don't understand why people pay to attend gigs, therefore taking part into this insanity.

And that's why I wear custom made earplugs
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2009 - 20:21
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.07.2009 at 15:52

Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.07.2009 at 14:11

And that's why I wear custom made earplugs

Of course, it's a very good idea. However, I hate crowds so much I prefer to avoid gigs completely. There's not many things in life I hate as much as being in the middle of an ocean of people. Especially if they're drunk or drugged (or both combined).
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
25.07.2009 - 21:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.07.2009 at 20:21

Of course, it's a very good idea. However, I hate crowds so much I prefer to avoid gigs completely. There's not many things in life I hate as much as being in the middle of an ocean of people. Especially if they're drunk or drugged (or both combined).

I only go to a big concert once a year (namely Hellfest) precisely due to the reasons you stated. All the preconceptions the general have about metalheads come true there (obnoxious, druk, drugged etc i.e. generally being braindead morons) Biggest gigs I go to are where a max of 1000 can attend (accept for Roadburn which has a max of 2000 but spread over three halls, and of those 2000 500 are band members and crew) Most gigs I attend are 500 max gigs and loads of time only around 200 show up. Last week friday I went to a 120 max gig where only 40 were present)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 24276 | This month: 66