Metal Storm logo
Twilight (The book and movie)

23.07.2009 - 09:22
tulkas
el parcero
Ok, so the deal is that everywhere, the book, and specially the movie, gets bashed around all the time for being an insult to the 'vampire genre', or for whatever reason. I personally don't know much about it, in fact, I haven't read the book, or books, and haven't seen the movie either, so I wouldn't have any intelligent or backed up reason for bashing it, except for what I've heard from a lot of people. I know some of you might've read the book, or watched the movie, so I'd guess you'll have some comments.

Now, instead of having bashing comments about Twilight on several threads, and people bashing it all around, I though I'd open this so it could be discussed properly. And by properly I also mean sticking to posting rules of MetalStorm. Please! I'll leave this pic just to start heating up things

----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
23.07.2009 - 09:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Sorry to offend some young girls who may be addicted on this, but this is simply complete crap...and yes - Blade is the only cure possible for this anyway, lets discuss Blade instead, it will be much more interesting
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.07.2009 - 22:21
Deus Ex Machina
Hmmm, I'm not sure if it deserves a whole thread. Well, maybe...since it's a bizarre phenomenon. o_O The book is just not well written. I read it before all this hype happened and I was surprised to see it got this much attention. Very surprised. If this hadn't happened I don't think I'd remember the book at all. I don't think I managed to finish the movie. Edward is a pathetic character. Abusive, controlling, moody. Bella is boring, needy, weak etc. I could go on and on. The way they interact with each other is cheesy. Their relationship is gruelling and unhealthy but it's, I guess promoted as healthy so there's millions of girls swooning over Edward for some reason.
I know there has been talk about it being anti feminist and there were people pointing out what they thought sucked about it. But for me, these are just my personal thoughts. I won't label the book anything. I just honestly think the plot is ridiculous and the characters, male and female, are NOT my taste. I mean, if I knew a girl like Bella, I wouldn't let her shine my shoes let alone be my friend.
24.07.2009 - 00:17
Ragana
Rawrcat
The movie sucks, but books are quite interesting - bit cheesy but readable. That's all I've gotta say about this... this... something.

And that vampire guy is not cute. Hell, he looked better even in the 4th film of Harry Potter!
24.07.2009 - 00:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Ragana on 24.07.2009 at 00:17

he looked better even in the 4th film of Harry Potter!

and i wondered from where i know this guy...
----

24.07.2009 - 01:28
Ragana
Rawrcat
Yeah, I didn't understand it before as well but then I watched HP4 again and realized he's that guy who died in the end. He would look more prettier without that grim in Twilight movies... he looks like a ghost. An ugly one.
25.07.2009 - 23:13
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
I agree the film wasn't... the best vampire film I've seen. It wasn't terrible but certainly isn't anything special. It felt a bit "made for TV" really. A lot of lasses seem to love it, apparently because the lead actor is gorgeous, but I just think he looks like a nasty bastard.
26.07.2009 - 02:03
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Twilight is nothing more than a bunch of commercial bullshit that is meant to wet the panties of teenage girls. I despise both the books and the movie, and yet I still don't understand why the common people love this festering pile of shit.
26.07.2009 - 04:02
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Cor I never read the books and not now after the film ERGH utter bullshite. My friends forced me to go. I left halfway through and sat in the toilets which, to be perfectly honest, was more enjoyable. And who the hell thinks that that guy is hot? Jeez he is a minger The film was terrible, wooden acting and just really not enjoyable....
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
02.08.2009 - 15:34
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Don't know where people get that this is an insult to the vampire genre. It is a true vampire story in the likes of the great Dracula and Interview with the Vampire. Films like Blade and all the modern post-Apocalyptic seemed to take the vampire from its original settings and format. A vampire story should be about internal conflict caused by being a vampire. In Twilight the conflict is caused by a vampire being in love with a human, albeit a bit cheesy but a pretty original idea. Coppola had flirted with the idea in his adaptation of Dracula in 1992. Now for the film. I thought it was OK as it gets back to grips with the vampire how it should be portrayed. I understand that those expecting the violence and action present in Blade or other post-Apocalyptic vampire stories would have been disapointed but as I watched Twilight hoping for the contrary, a film based on conflict, I actually enjoyed it. I have been studing Vampires (and Zombies) for over two years now as the living dead is the main subject of my research for my phD, I may now not get to finish. I can honestly say Twilight fits into the traditionnal vampire frame. I have never read the books so I cannot give my opinion on them.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
02.08.2009 - 15:46
Elio
Red Nightmare
I haven't read the books and I haven't seen the movie, nor I want to do it. It smells boring teenage crap, still, considering that I don't know it well, I won't make further comments.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.08.2009 - 16:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I only saw on youtube this "famous" baseball playing scene...and it was enough for me...
----

22.08.2009 - 15:34
TheBigRossowski
The movie is totally overrated crap. The fact that they glitter in the sun is gay as shit.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
23.08.2009 - 22:10
Wyrd
This may sound Strange but this book ruined my town! Now stay with me here. Imagine walking down the street and seeing waves emo vampire wannabe's wearing fake vimpire teeth and VARY colourful clothes.
Also everyone seems to have read this book or seen the movie except for me and some of my friends, and the GODDAMN books is for sale every where to witch means posters as far as the eye can see! CURSE YOU TWILIGHT!!!!!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
23.08.2009 - 23:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Pity for you, but just remember - it is never so bad, it cannot be even worse
----

24.08.2009 - 02:03
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Wyrd on 23.08.2009 at 22:10

This may sound Strange but this book ruined my town! Now stay with me here. Imagine walking down the street and seeing waves emo vampire wannabe's wearing fake vimpire teeth and VARY colourful clothes.
Also everyone seems to have read this book or seen the movie except for me and some of my friends, and the GODDAMN books is for sale every where to witch means posters as far as the eye can see! CURSE YOU TWILIGHT!!!!!!

There's a South Park episode about emo Vampire wannabes, I never knew it was an actual trend, it makes you wonder what they put in the water in North America to see such odd trends popping up now and again.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
24.08.2009 - 02:04
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Ellrohir on 23.08.2009 at 23:05

Yeah, wait for the second film to come out (this autumn)... you'll see the devil.
24.08.2009 - 04:24
Wyrd
Written by Haddonfield on 24.08.2009 at 02:03

Written by Wyrd on 23.08.2009 at 22:10

There's a South Park episode about emo Vampire wannabes, I never knew it was an actual trend, it makes you wonder what they put in the water in North America to see such odd trends popping up now and again.

Trust me friend. Its real! And it's Getting worse!
----
24.08.2009 - 04:32
Wyrd
Written by Ragana on 24.08.2009 at 02:04

Written by Ellrohir on 23.08.2009 at 23:05

Yeah, wait for the second film to come out (this autumn)... you'll see the devil.

n.. n no No! WWWHHHYYYYY!!!!!!!!
----
24.08.2009 - 10:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Seems we are quite lucky, Twilight series arent really popular in Czech republic...some teenagers are discussing it, but i dont think it is such a mainstream issue here
----

29.08.2009 - 13:31
This is the best day ever. Not only do I discover that this site has a cricket thread, but also a thread SPECIFICALLY DEDICATED TO BASHING TWILIGHT!!!!! I have dreamed of this moment for a long time...

Anyone seen the review for Twilight that, whenever Edward or vampires were mentioned, put sparkles behind the name? Funny shit.

My mate works in a bookstore, and he gets Twilight freaks coming in all the time to dicuss the books, (which he hates). Apparently one time this bint comes in and starts telling him how amazing it is, etc etc, and mentions that the publisher made Meyer split it into four books to make more money or some shit, and, completely fed up by ths stage, he replies:
"Oh, that explains something to me. That must be why nothing happens in the first, second, and third books... but it doesn't explain why nothing happens in the fourth book"
She nearly cried.
Seriously, why the sparkles? It actually makes no sense.
Um, what else... pathetic characters - Bella is just the stereotype of an isolated teenager, Edward is quite frankly worse than Rand Al'thor for controlling his missus.

Re Haddonfield: My issue with it is that it adds nothing to the genre, and is hugely overrated. Most authors do something different with the myth, eg True Blood, or a book Called, ironically, "Daylight" by Elizabeth Knox, but the only thing different that Meyer puts in is the sparkly thing, and that is just bad. Honestly awful.
Sorry for the lenght of this post but there's a lot of hate inside me.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
29.08.2009 - 22:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Entropic Silence on 29.08.2009 at 13:31

This is the best day ever. Not only do I discover that this site has a cricket thread, but also a thread SPECIFICALLY DEDICATED TO BASHING TWILIGHT!!!!! I have dreamed of this moment for a long time...

i bet you will make many more fantastic discovers here in the future
----

02.10.2009 - 11:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Even though I know some girls [and one guy] who likes this shit.... It seems like it's not as overhyped as in Usa and other countries, I'm happy for that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.10.2009 - 11:27
tulkas
el parcero

Haha, hand't seen this post. You're welcome, my man

Anyone seen the review for Twilight that, whenever Edward or vampires were mentioned, put sparkles behind the name? Funny shit.

That's not funny, that's just plain gayness all around
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
02.10.2009 - 12:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm actually thinking of reading all the books (my sister has them), just because chicks will dig it. Yeah, I've talked with a lot of girls who thinks it's "hot" with a guy reading "Twilight". Anyway, I don't know. They seem kinda crap. The movie was a typical girl movie although I thought it was kinda cute and the soundtrack was okey. But I don't want my vampire/werewolf movies to be cute. I bet Max Shreck, Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. are turning in their graves.

Oh, and the gigantic eyebrows on that Edward vampire annoys the crap out of me!
----
02.10.2009 - 12:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Warman on 02.10.2009 at 12:19

I'm actually thinking of reading all the books (my sister has them), just because chicks will dig it. Yeah, I've talked with a lot of girls who thinks it's "hot" with a guy reading "Twilight". I bet Max Shreck, Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. are turning in their graves.

They have to be turning in their graves, indeed.
And your reason to why you willread those books areprobably the same as mine + I want to really explain to the people why the books are so bad after reading them all and not only a few chapters.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.10.2009 - 12:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.10.2009 at 12:22

They have to be turning in their graves, indeed.
And your reason to why you willread those books areprobably the same as mine + I want to really explain to the people why the books are so bad after reading them all and not only a few chapters.

My friend read the books just because he wanted to proove that they sucked. He called me names for thinking the movie was cute, but I called him worse for reading four books you know will suck, just for the purpose of bashing them. I would NEVER read a book for that reason. To watch a bad movie is okay, it takes around two hours. Reading four bad books takes a lot longer than that.
----
02.10.2009 - 13:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Warman on 02.10.2009 at 12:28

I would NEVER read a book for that reason. To watch a bad movie is okay, it takes around two hours. Reading four bad books takes a lot longer than that.

I will do that because I want a real opinion. I'm only based on few chapters and quotes, that's not an opinion. And if the girls tell me "you haven't even read the book, it's so fantastic" I want to answer instead of a plain "meh"

I did the same with Harry Potter, and I got good results, because I realized that the books weren't as bad as I though, I learned something that day! I know the same will happen after reading the twilight history... even if the only thing I will learn would be how low is the litterature for teenanger, it's still worth the effort
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.10.2009 - 22:24
Smurfophagist
I can tolerate all sorts of people, books, music etc.
but to exaggerate to a point where a trash romance novel is called 10 000 times better than, say, Tolkien's works, makes me downright fucking sick.
disembowel the motherfucking teenage cunt whores who like this shit.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
02.10.2009 - 22:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Blasphemy!
----