Metal Storm logo
Twilight (The book and movie)

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 23.07.2009 - 09:22
Ok, so the deal is that everywhere, the book, and specially the movie, gets bashed around all the time for being an insult to the 'vampire genre', or for whatever reason. I personally don't know much about it, in fact, I haven't read the book, or books, and haven't seen the movie either, so I wouldn't have any intelligent or backed up reason for bashing it, except for what I've heard from a lot of people. I know some of you might've read the book, or watched the movie, so I'd guess you'll have some comments.

Now, instead of having bashing comments about Twilight on several threads, and people bashing it all around, I though I'd open this so it could be discussed properly. And by properly I also mean sticking to posting rules of MetalStorm. Please! I'll leave this pic just to start heating up things

14.11.2009 - 18:28
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Quote:
Written by tulkas on 14.11.2009 at 18:21

Written by Haddonfield on 14.11.2009 at 11:40

Yeah, like REAL vampire movie should be like, right?

Wrong.

Well, if I'm gonna watch a movie about vampires, I'd expect some action, blood, and "spooky" cool stuff, not glittering homosexuals

Dracula and Interview With the Vampire are probably the two best vampire movies, yes there's some blood but where's the action. This strand of action vampires you see in Blade, Underworld and co. is something recent. So you cannot call them "real" vampire movies, more modern vampire movies. Real vampire movies are more psychelogical than spectacular. Twilight, isn't the best vampire movie but at least it goes back to the traditional internal conflict present in Stoker's novel.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
14.11.2009 - 18:31
tulkas
el parcero
But that right there in the "mindfuck" is the action, at least for me. Something in the story that is keeping you IN the story, that's interesting you to keep watching or reading.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
14.11.2009 - 18:39
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
It's true, there is probably a bit too much romance in Twilight which makes the whole too lovey dovey but the internal conflict of the vampire wanting to date a human and craving for her is very interesting. Stoker hinted at this in his novel, Coppola took it a step further, maybe Twilight just went too full on but the problematique could be interesting if placed in the right hands. The whole glittering vampire thing is ridiculous and ultra gay and it's these kind of small but eventually important details that take the spectators focus away from the conflict.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
17.11.2009 - 21:00
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Quote:
Written by tulkas on 14.11.2009 at 18:21

Written by Haddonfield on 14.11.2009 at 11:40

Yeah, like REAL vampire movie should be like, right?

Wrong.

Well, if I'm gonna watch a movie about vampires, I'd expect some action, blood, and "spooky" cool stuff, not glittering homosexuals

LoL...well there's always been something really hot & sexy about vampires but i dont think they should be glittering homosexuals either...idk i just picture them more aggresive and yeees violent, bloody, etc, etc...this was just too cheesy for me
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
17.11.2009 - 22:57
soadbyob
Account deleted
Twilight sucks, satan created vampires to kill not fall in love
19.11.2009 - 02:51
Warlock84
I agree with soadbyob on the sucking part. Worst creation in history. Absolute bastardization of a REAL vampire saga- Underworld, now that's what I'm talking about- hot chicks and graphic violence. I hope the creator is tried and hung.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
20.11.2009 - 06:49
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 17.11.2009 at 22:57

Twilight sucks, satan created vampires to kill not fall in love

You haven't read Dracula or seen Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, have you?

Anyway. I did read Twilight, because an aunt gave me the first 2 books and my parents teh other 2. Idon't blame them, how would they know? But seriously, after reading Anne TRIce's Vampire Chronicles, and obviously Dracula (4 times), this is just a move to make money on a drooling teenager fanbase. I don't think any woman above 20 YO actually likes this book, if tehy have read a bit.
And if you're a man and you like it, you deffinitely need to read alot. Or simply state that you're gay, and that's it
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.11.2009 - 16:25
soadbyob
Account deleted
Id be one thing if you read the books before the whole fuckin world did, but to read them now makes you a mainstream fuck
20.11.2009 - 16:49
tulkas
el parcero
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.11.2009 at 06:49

You haven't read Dracula or seen Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, have you?

Anyway. I did read Twilight, because an aunt gave me the first 2 books and my parents teh other 2. Idon't blame them, how would they know? But seriously, after reading Anne TRIce's Vampire Chronicles, and obviously Dracula (4 times), this is just a move to make money on a drooling teenager fanbase. I don't think any woman above 20 YO actually likes this book, if tehy have read a bit.
And if you're a man and you like it, you deffinitely need to read alot. Or simply state that you're gay, and that's it

There's 4 Twilight books!? I thought there was only one. Damn, that four times the gayness, then
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
20.11.2009 - 20:09
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
YEah, there's 4. Alhough I read 'em beore it became a teenager fanbase. And found 'em lame, not to mention I read the 4 in like 2 months It's even easer than Harry Potter or Narnia.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

21.11.2009 - 18:06
Graveheart
I haven't read any of the books nor seen any of the movies, but I think I'm quite familiar with how the phenomenon is visible in pop culture and that image is very negative. The little I know of the books/movies themselves doesn't make me want to know more either. But that's all I can say about them right now, so I hope this isn't the wrong place to share my views on something that's only somewhat related to the issue. Or you can replace those last ten words with the word "rant" if you like.

By obversing the fans I've noticed most of them are just silly, emotional teenage girls and their affection with Twilight isn't much unlike how they worship boy bands that are popular right now. That doesn't hurt anyone. Unfortunately, I've seen the extremes of this too and I've got to say it's pretty fucking scary, at worst even damaging to society. I heard this story for example, I know it's very extreme but it also happens to be true (unless I was lied to, but I believe it's possible and can happen anywhere anytime). And I'm not making a "this is why Twilight sucks!" kind of point with this either, I'm just saying this particular incident disturbed me although it didn't happen to me.

So anyway, I heard this boy, aged somewhere around fifteen, had a crush on a girl in his class, and finally when he felt brave enough to get closer to her, he was turned down because "he wasn't a vampire". I mean the girl straight out told him "I only like vampires, so you're not my type" or something to that effect. Still I think the guy wasn't losing much, because according to him she was the kind of an ultra fangirl who thought she was actually a vampire herself or at least believed that they're real, probably with such a breachless and dazzling logic as "that Twilight guy is so hot that of course vampires must exist somewhere". And he said she often makes a huge number out of how sad she feels because not one handsome vampire will ever come to bite her neck. Isn't it ridiculous how people get seriously depressed over something like that?!

It's even more ridiculous if you consider how men's preferences of an ideal female have been frowned upon for being too narrow and unrealistic, you know, that only blondes with huge boobs are passable etc. But that's nothing compared to this. While I'm anything but defending the ideal, the fact is that blondes with huge boobs do exist after all. If I was a woman, it would relieve me to think that at least I don't have to be a fucking vampire! I understand unrealistic sexual fantasies because I've often had them too. But still I treat them like fantasies and I'm not turning anyone down just because she happens to be herself instead of something out of this world.

Also when you think about it, the situation isn't even unfair. There are many female sex symbols in supernatural fiction, anime, computer games etc, even more than male ones. But have you heard of a guy who's in love with a fictional character and openly angsty that she isn't real, or that she's "real" but totally unavailable? We all know there are guys using them as jerk-off inspiration material, but so far I've heard nothing worse. Most people I know consider that pathetic, and I don't disagree, but I think the extreme Twilight fangirls like the one in that axample are the female versions of those wankers. She's just as pathetic or actually even more, because the WoW nerd usually just sees eye candy in his game, and if it makes him sad, he's sad because he thinks he can't get a real girlfriend. While the vampire nerd lives in her own world of imaginary heartbreak and keeps turning potential boyfriends down.
21.11.2009 - 18:27
soadbyob
Account deleted
Fuckin count chocula is a better vampire than that edward fuckbag
21.11.2009 - 22:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
is this vampire movie or series what here TV start brodcast I didnt saw it but I sa wcomercal looks good,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.11.2009 - 03:45
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I had an audition today, and the rest of the people decided to talk about Twilight. For almost 45 minutes. I think its safe to say that by the end of that time, there was not one person in the room who I did not want to kill. Do people fucking realize that it has a third grade reading level?
27.11.2009 - 22:13
danova
I adore this film, beautiful history about love... Shaking already spirit grasps.
28.11.2009 - 02:08
Archetype
I haven't read any of the books and I certainly have no intention of doing so but I did sit through most of the second movie and I found it to be really shallow, boring, superficial and a lacking in everything that makes a good movie.
28.11.2009 - 02:21
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
What shocks me is that New Moon has received a massive amount of negative reviews, yet it is the number one movie in the world right now. I guess this just proves that no one knows what a good movie is anymore.
29.11.2009 - 14:44
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 28.11.2009 at 02:21

What shocks me is that New Moon has received a massive amount of negative reviews, yet it is the number one movie in the world right now. I guess this just proves that no one knows what a good movie is anymore.

That's because a shitload of of droolng teenagers are going to see it, so they go with friends,with family, bla, bla, so it's a big load of money. Number one in money. I personally would rather see 2012 again rather than see new moon.
----

29.11.2009 - 19:10
Ragana
Rawrcat
I'd like to see New Moon but I'm afraid I'll laugh too loud and other fangirls will beat me afterwards. Even for liking that other guy (what was his name?), not Edward.

Written by Graveheart on 21.11.2009 at 18:06

So anyway, I heard this boy, aged somewhere around fifteen, had a crush on a girl in his class, and finally when he felt brave enough to get closer to her, he was turned down because "he wasn't a vampire". I mean the girl straight out told him "I only like vampires, so you're not my type" or something to that effect.

Good one.
29.11.2009 - 19:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 29.11.2009 at 14:44

I personally would rather see 2012 again rather than see new moon.

but it is nearly the same case...there is nothing about 2012, just so many people are curious about entire world's destruction by "master of special effects" Emmerich...i was tricked too...

but damn, Twilight is beginning to be be widespread here in CZ too...but we have resisting quite long...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.11.2009 - 00:05
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 29.11.2009 at 19:10

I'd like to see New Moon but I'm afraid I'll laugh too loud and other fangirls will beat me afterwards. Even for liking that other guy (what was his name?), not Edward.

Jacob?
haha I like him too.. (if that's who you're talking about)

I'm so sick of seeing Twilight this, Twilight that.. Blah. However, I would go watch New Moon. It looks better than the first one. The first one? Bleh. O.o Me thinks Twilight is just a long boring Introduction.....to.... something?
I've never read one of the Twilight series... I don't like what everyone likes... I'll just hear it from those who read it.

There is, however, one good thing I'd like to say about the Twilight craze.. at least it got people to read. Most of the people I know...hardly do. ._.
30.11.2009 - 00:17
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 30.11.2009 at 00:05

Written by Ragana on 29.11.2009 at 19:10

Jacob?
haha I like him too.. (if that's who you're talking about)

I'm so sick of seeing Twilight this, Twilight that.. Blah. However, I would go watch New Moon. It looks better than the first one. The first one? Bleh. O.o Me thinks Twilight is just a long boring Introduction.....to.... something?
I've never read one of the Twilight series... I don't like what everyone likes... I'll just hear it from those who read it.

Aye, right. He's cute.

Hmm, the books don't seem bad. I've read the first book and have started the second (unfortunately I have to delay the reading all the time since I have to read pretty much for different kind of works at school and I'd still like to finish S. King's 'Misery'). Really, not bad. People say that the last two of the four books are uninteresting and kinda cheesy, but the first two, I guess, are still pretty good if you like fantasy... Maybe the quality sucks, but, oh, it's like reading some Harry Potter... just a bit worse.
01.12.2009 - 14:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 30.11.2009 at 00:05

There is, however, one good thing I'd like to say about the Twilight craze.. at least it got people to read. Most of the people I know...hardly do. ._.

While reading a forum I came across that argument and there was an user who crushed that argument with the truth:

Yes, they start to read books, but hey... Most of the people that I know they like twillight, I asked them what books do they read and they just answered twilight. And I asked "...and?"

And nothing... Most of the people who read the book doesn't seem to be interested in books at all so they don't have a clue about what's good in a book. So I really don't think that "it gives them something to read" is a good argument since the book is awful in every singel way and they just read that and nothing else.

This user explained it better than I will ever do with this post in a thread called "Twilight gets kids to read"

Quote:

I think the issue is mainly that those who find Twilight to be so super special is that they really don't know what actual, wonderful literature is. The problem with this generation is that everything is presented to them through the television, internet, any sort of electronic media. They don't have to read in order to learn or experience something. So with Twilight, it's just simple and to a point where the reader could project themselves into the character in order to 'experience', rather than reading a novel like, say, The Fountainhead or the The Scarlet Letter where they would have to really think to understand an overall theme of the novel, or even why the author wrote it. Twilight just gives everyone what they want and no conflict ever presents itself.

There is definitely a larger problem if the children who did get interested in reading through Twilight won't pick up any other book because it's boring or some other garbage, the whole "getting kids to read thing" is lowered. Sure, they want to read, but only Twilight. The book alone isn't getting them to explore what other novels are out there. If it did have these kids read more books, and they didn't worship Twilight as the most extraordinary thing in the universe, their arguement would hold some truth.

Yet since it doesn't happen, the arguement fails in my eyes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.12.2009 - 18:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
----

03.12.2009 - 02:25
Miro
Haha nice find.
05.12.2009 - 04:30
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I remember LeChron James had it as his facebook profile image. Epic win.
----

05.12.2009 - 05:58
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
This is already in the funny stuff thread but well It's about the subject.

I won't make any comments right now, I'm kinda pissed-off and lazy at the moment.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
05.12.2009 - 06:07
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh yeah, and here is the review for the New Moon movie.

----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
05.12.2009 - 20:39
Fat & Sassy!
elite
It AMAZES me how much money this author makes for practically making FAN FICTION and calling it a damn NOVEL. >:/ I'm also so fucking tired of hearing grown, middle-aged adults taking interest in this teen soap of a story.
05.12.2009 - 21:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Omg...those videos destroyed me

but the most positive thing for me is, that i am really able to understand such a fast and messed up English language
----