Metal Storm logo
Katatonia - Album Title, Release Date Confirmed

Katatonia, the Swedish masters of melancholy, are set to return with their follow-up to 2006's groundbreaking album, "The Great Cold Distance". It can now be revealed that the latest opus is to be titled "Night Is the New Day", with the band currently well along the road to completion of their eighth studio album.

"Night Is the New Day" will be released on October 19th (US - October 27th) on Peaceville Records.

Keep a look-out for the upcoming launch of http://www.nightisthenewday.com for exclusives & announcements on the final cover artwork, final tracklisting and the release of the new single.

Source: katatonia.com
Band profile: Katatonia
Posted: 23.07.2009 by MaSTeMa

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 54   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 211 users
24.07.2009 - 17:09
IronAngel

Ooh, this is awesome.

The title is funny. You know, as in "Yellow is the new Black this season" etc.

They did promise some surprising material. I am not convinced, but I'm hoping for the best.

I didn't much are for TGCD either. The production was wonderful at parts, fragile and clear. It also had some mind-blowing vocal melodies and great songs, like Leaders, Deliberation and My Twin. But overall, I found it rather boring.

I can't say they've made an entire bad album to date, though. DoDS is simply mesmerizing, BMD is pretty raw, DO has its nice moments. It doesn't annoy me, but but the material is certainly uneven and the band uncertain and a bit clueless. TD, as was pointed out above, is a bit uneven as well, and overall too soft for my tastes. LFDGD is the pinnacle of their later style, the peak of what was evolving through DO and TD. The album's nearly perfect in sound and songwriting, though it does have a bit of extra that I could've done without. Viva Emptiness, on the other hand, takes an all new approach and succeeds brilliantly. It's probably my favorite album, though it's a close call between it and LFDGD. (I won't count the first albums, because they work differently and at different times, for me.) But then they released TGCD... Bleh.
24.07.2009 - 17:59
Satatonia

I don't really like some heavy riffs in latest 2 albums...
Unfurl is what new katatonia should be.
25.07.2009 - 03:24
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Italics on 23.07.2009 at 23:29

Written by Paradox0 on 23.07.2009 at 23:23

Title sounds "snazzy". Hoping its more in vein with Viva Emptiness (even if it seems that everyone hates that album for some reason)

You sure? "Viva Emptiness" has one of their highest user ratings...

But it seems that everytime I bring it up it gets trashed, not to mention its not really mention that no one seems to bring it up in fond memories (although I remember when it had a higher rating than "The great Cold Distance", but thats what happens when an album becomes popular I sduppose.
25.07.2009 - 12:18
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I hope it sounds like their best to albums (Dance Of December Souls, Brave Murder Day)
25.07.2009 - 14:59
addiction

I kind of like the title...:) it is not what i would expect for some reason but it ceates a nice feeling for me so i like it! also the album is coming out sooner than i thought, so even happier! can't wait to listen to it!
----
alive in the superunknown
27.07.2009 - 17:18
Andresopeth

Wow, is always good to know something about these guys, they have never dissapointed me with their releases, always dramatic, melancholy, strong and with inner emotion, so, "Night Is The New Day" couldn't be the exception......... i can't wait to october!
27.07.2009 - 17:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 24.07.2009 at 17:09

I can't say they've made an entire bad album to date, though. DoDS is simply mesmerizing, BMD is pretty raw, DO has its nice moments. It doesn't annoy me, but but the material is certainly uneven and the band uncertain and a bit clueless.

What? I can understand if people don't like it, but clueless of what they are doing? No way, the debut is one of the huge ones from Black/Doom for a reason.
The first three + Viva Emptiness = The Best stuff done by this guys IMHO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2009 - 19:02
Andresopeth

Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.07.2009 at 21:35

The last album wasn't bad in my book. It was better than Tonight's Decision and also better than Last Fair Deal Gone Down. But it was still kind of weak so I hope this dudes will do a strong album. I want some kind of a more "in your face" music. Something like "Leaders" but more in your face.

What man??? Tonight's Decision is one of the greatest things this band has done, it has a several of the most representative Kaatatonia's songs, like A Darkness Coming, Black Session, I Am Nothing, This Punishment and For My Demons.
27.07.2009 - 23:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Andresopeth on 27.07.2009 at 19:02

What man??? Tonight's Decision is one of the greatest things this band has done, it has a several of the most representative Kaatatonia's songs, like A Darkness Coming, Black Session, I Am Nothing, This Punishment and For My Demons.

Yes, those are good songs that saves the album from crappy songs like: "Had To (Leave)", "No Good Can Come of This", "Nightmares by the Sea"... Those songs are very boring imo. The rest of the album is good enough and that's why I gave it a 7.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.07.2009 - 04:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.07.2009 at 23:30

"Nightmares by the Sea"

Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh.... once again "Nightmare by the sea" is NOT NOT NOT I repeat NOT a Katatonia song. It is a Jeff Buckley COVER

But IMO it is by FAR the best song on the album.

TD is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy superior to DO
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2009 - 09:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2009 at 04:07

"Nightmares by the Sea"

Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh.... once again "Nightmare by the sea" is NOT NOT NOT I repeat NOT a Katatonia song. It is a Jeff Buckley COVER

Yeah that's the biggest problem I have with that album. Nightmares by the Sea is my favorite song on it, but since it's a cover, I can't really regard that album as high as I do others :/
28.07.2009 - 14:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2009 at 04:07

"Nightmares by the Sea"

Dude.. I KNOW about it, you told me... My mind isn't that broken... I just put the fucking name because I dislike that song too!
If the shit is a cover of mozart I wouldn't give a flying fuck! I would still say "damn dude, that song sucks" and still put it on the list of "songs that sucked in the album" because the song being a cover doesn't make me say "hey, The song is a cover, I can forgive them.. it's not their fault"... NO WAY! That's why I put the bloddy song too! ARRGRGGAGSGGRGRGAGRAG
SIGH SIGH SIGH

And put your "TD being superior to DO" somewhere I can't find it. It's a mateer of tastes Marcel. SIGH SIGH SIGH
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.07.2009 - 16:10
IronAngel

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.07.2009 at 17:34

Written by IronAngel on 24.07.2009 at 17:09

I can't say they've made an entire bad album to date, though. DoDS is simply mesmerizing, BMD is pretty raw, DO has its nice moments. It doesn't annoy me, but but the material is certainly uneven and the band uncertain and a bit clueless.

What? I can understand if people don't like it, but clueless of what they are doing? No way, the debut is one of the huge ones from Black/Doom for a reason.
The first three + Viva Emptiness = The Best stuff done by this guys IMHO.

Ahem. As I said, I think Discouraged Ones is the album on which they're a but clueless. Not DoDS, which is quite amazing (authentic, if somewhat naive, IMO). On DO, I think they developed the BMD sound further into melodies and soft melancholy, but they hadn't quite grasped the art of writing catchy songs yet. Relention is a good example: it has an absolutely killer chorus, but the song is very simple and a bit boring. I mean, it's great to listen to "I'm returning from something, to something, to something" for a while, but there could be a bit more happening there. DO is clearly a transition album, which makes it extremely interesting and essential to understanding Katatonia's progress, but as a stand-alone it's probably their weakest.
28.07.2009 - 19:10
dancingdecember

Pff, what strange opinions i see here... now that i saw someone wants "in your face music" from Katatonia, i can go to grave peacefully... my god... in your face music from Katatonia, like Leng Tche or like limp bizkit fuckin up yo house? LOL. Maybe you would have wanted "in your face music" from Jeff Buckley too when he was alive if you were around. I wanted Leonard Cohen to make an "in your face" version of "Famous Blue Raincoat" so i could kickass listening to that song! (that was sarcasm for you). It happens when you are in high school and found out about Katatonia with Viva Emptiness i suppose... If you want that kind of music go listen to that kind of music and let Katatonia be Katatonia please.

On the other hand i didn't like the title but it doesn't really mean that much if the album is good.Always hoping for post BMD pre VE era of Katatonia(as it's impossible for them to bring out BMD like album) but i enjoyed VE and TGCD too nonetheless.I don't have that much of a problem with those releases but they will always be Katatonia's, respectively, worst and second worst to me...
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
28.07.2009 - 20:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by dancingdecember on 28.07.2009 at 19:10

Pff, what strange opinions i see here... now that i saw someone wants "in your face music" from Katatonia, i can go to grave peacefully... my god... in your face music from Katatonia, like Leng Tche or like limp bizkit fuckin up yo house?

I tried to see any kind of sense in this post and I failed. What the hell does Limp Bizkit has to do with any of this? If you don't know what's my opinon of the band and what I really meant with " in your face" then you should not say anything about my comments.

When I said "In your face" music... I meant stronger and more emotional music like they did Post BMD and pre Viva. Although I do enjoy Viva a lot... The best ones in my humble opinion are the first three + Viva.
The last album was kinda weak... I still liked it somehow but it was weak if you compared it to anything they did before. So when I said "In Your face" music I meant stuff more similar to what they did before.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.07.2009 - 22:42
TheBigRossowski

Errr... cross my fingers?
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
29.07.2009 - 00:20
Raven Of Death

Katatonia is downing fall year aftr year all new albums are baaaaaaaad to katatonia
And it's not like old album the pure Doom Metal scene I'd heard ever
Like "dance of december souls & funeral wedding and others " but now
Katatonia is not a Metal Band perhaps the vocalist and solo guitar player are still in the band
29.07.2009 - 00:50
lordz
IzZo
I could see why people might like/dislike Katatonia. The band has evolved, and still are, into a style which imo is very original.

Early Katatonia had black metal influence all over. As they progressed by releasing albums over the years, you can see they have transformed into the doom metal style with a little twist considering their music composition.

I think that I speak on behave of all musicians when I say "Katatonia Rocks"... they have proven their talent by showing great creativity in their work

I really hope this release would follow the same trend which I've experienced with this band since I truly believe and feel that every album they brought out was better than the previous one.
29.07.2009 - 02:47
dancingdecember

Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.07.2009 at 20:34

Written by dancingdecember on 28.07.2009 at 19:10

Pff, what strange opinions i see here... now that i saw someone wants "in your face music" from Katatonia, i can go to grave peacefully... my god... in your face music from Katatonia, like Leng Tche or like limp bizkit fuckin up yo house?

I tried to see any kind of sense in this post and I failed. What the hell does Limp Bizkit has to do with any of this? If you don't know what's my opinon of the band and what I really meant with " in your face" then you should not say anything about my comments.

When I said "In your face" music... I meant stronger and more emotional music like they did Post BMD and pre Viva. Although I do enjoy Viva a lot... The best ones in my humble opinion are the first three + Viva.
The last album was kinda weak... I still liked it somehow but it was weak if you compared it to anything they did before. So when I said "In Your face" music I meant stuff more similar to what they did before.

Then you should have clarified those points in your post.I don't have enough witchcraft skills to look into your thoughts.

"Something like "Leaders" but more in your face. " . That is what you said. You say you want more stronger and emotional music by them like they did post BMD pre Viva and you go on to give "Leaders" as an example? And you say you want it more "in your face"? If you used "in your face" as in more emotionally engaging or so, you could find much better examples from your fav Katatonia era.Leaders is not really an emotinal song in fact one of the "heavier" songs hence my opinion of your use of "in your face" as a more aggresive, straight forward meaning of the term and that is where you contradict yourself.

By the way let me tell you i don't really understand how you can enjoy,for example, Viva more over than TD or LFDGD.That is if you really prefer more emotional katatonia but each to their own i guess.

And if your favs are the first three and Viva why would you want them to make music like the post BMD pre Viva era? That era excludes all the Katatonia you like best but one album and worse, includes your worst Katatonia album.

I really think you don't know what you want very clearly or you and i have very different opinions on what "emotional", "in your face" etc. means (in the context of Katatonia's music).
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
29.07.2009 - 15:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by dancingdecember on 29.07.2009 at 02:47

or you and i have very different opinions on what "emotional", "in your face" etc. means (in the context of Katatonia's music).

We leave it that way. But I want to make it clear anyway.
The stuff I want Katatonia to do is something in between DO/Viva but also with a more agressive [don't take this word too literally] sound... By agressive I don't mean harsh vocals or furious riffs. I just mean the atmosphere to be more opressive and emotional [Leaders is imo a good sound with that kind of sound I liked]. The latest album while being great imo was still lacking some amount of that feeling they used to have.
I agree with my first example not being the best.

Oh... and about
Quote:
And if your favs are the first three and Viva why would you want them to make music like the post BMD pre Viva era? That era excludes all the Katatonia you like best but one album and worse, includes your worst Katatonia album.

My favorite albums don't reflect my wishes of how I want the new album to be. Not necessary...
It would be quiet unrealistic to wish that the new album will turn out as the first two, don't you think? So the best thing I can hope is something more in the vein from DO to Viva [I don't know why I wrote "pre viva"... I wrote without thinking I guess ] because that's the stuff they can do without having some vocalist with a bad throat but at the same time leaving me with good enough thoughts. TD might be my least favorite but it's still worth the money, it's just not THE album so to speak.

O yeah... I forgot, LFDGD is an album I haven't lsiten to a long time so I can't really use it as a reference anymore. but I take Viva over TD anyday because TD while having good music... it had some vocals I don't really like that much All the albums after BMD had some similar vocals but there's something [at least for me] that TD's vocals have that makes me angry, don't know why.

Cheers, always good to discuss music without trolling.
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.07.2009 - 16:13
IronAngel

They had some songs that tried to be "in your face" on TGCD. Soil's Song is an excellent example of a song that tries to be heavy but goes horribly wrong. It's possibly one of the most boring Katatonia tracks ever.

Personally, I wouldn't mind some good "in your face" stuff from them: that is, in the vein of "Ghost of the Sun" or "Wealth." Another interesting direction to take would be soft, semi-acoustic pieces. They've said the new album will be their most diverse, but then, bands often say that.

Either way, I want them to make emotional stuff, be it angry, melancholic, depressive, hopeful or whatever. TGCD felt so empty.
31.07.2009 - 19:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 31.07.2009 at 16:13

They had some songs that tried to be "in your face" on TGCD. Soil's Song is an excellent example of a song that tries to be heavy but goes horribly wrong. It's possibly one of the most boring Katatonia tracks ever.

Personally, I wouldn't mind some good "in your face" stuff from them: that is, in the vein of "Ghost of the Sun" or "Wealth."

Yeah! That's exactly what I want from them XP... Although I do wonder how it will be with some acustic stuff here and there... It would be interesting to lsiten from them.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.08.2009 - 17:46
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Cant wait for the new album!!! i like a lot the title of it!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.08.2009 - 05:47
3dd

Finally.

After years of waiting...!

But I really hope they change the title, seriously.
That title is.....LAMME. It's not that, it's just...looks like a new album name of a emo band.

Well, let's hope for the better.

Hits total: 6210 | This month: 9