02. Are You Dead Yet?
03. If You Want Peace... Prepare For War
04. Punch Me I Bleed
05. In Your Face
06. Next In Line
07. Bastards Of Bodom
08. Trashed, Lost & Strungout
09. We're Not Gonna Fall

I'm going to show my incredible foretelling powers here and tell you right from the get-go that there's going to be like a thousand comments from kids aiming right at my neck trying to understand why the hell I gave such a low rating to the best album of the year from the best band of the world: Children Of Bodom? Yeah, sure.

I used to like this band (if you don't believe me, read my "Something Wild" review), but after their third album all went downhill for me and these Finns. I bet someone in the band realized that they were popular now and they decided to turn their sound towards the masses (i.e. kids attending Ozzfest and such).

I can't do anything else rather than ask myself, what happened with this band? Where did the madness, the amazing riffs and the awesome keyboards went? What happened with the neoclassical leads and the fierce shrieks? The only thing I found was bland vocals, lame choruses and unexciting song-writing. Truly disappointing, sure I wish I was dead after hearing this boring album.

Everything in Children Of Bodom is getting old by now, the brainless lyrics and laughable song titles were funny at first, but now they've become unbearable. The Ripper mascot is another thing that I'm tired of, and again, it was funny at first with the different colors for each album, but now the ripper is totally uninteresting and tedious!

In a nutshell, this album does nothing for me, and if it does for you, you're a trend-victim, Children Of Bodom is an over-hyped, overrated act by all means! If you like Finnish extreme metal go grab the new Norther or new Kalmah instead. Phew, that was almost therapeutic, now kids, fire away, shoot me with all you can, I can take it. And just to add some fuel to the fire, Children Of Bodom sucks!

Written by Undercraft | 11.03.2006

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 89   Visited by: 384 users
27.12.2006 - 08:34
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
This album is horrible beyond belief. I used to like Children Of Bodom, but now they're just not worth lsitening to at all, even their old material bores me like nothing. I don't think they'll ever make any other good works again and even if they did, I can't see myself wanting to listen to it in a hurry.
27.02.2007 - 04:47
Twisted Jeff
Account deleted
Hey Moron, Yea I Agree With Certain points, none can disagree, Bodom has gone with the masses, But its not bad music at all, And wtf does a "mascot" have to do with the quality of music, Thats what this is about music, not how much u like reapers or how much u dislike them so, Please stick to "music" comments. Bodoms older stuff isnt as good as their new stuff if u want Heavier melodic death fine look up early shit for most bands, Dont shit on bodom for being smart and going towards a more Popular view. I think this is there best album yet.
27.02.2007 - 15:35
Sunioj

Written by Guest on 27.02.2007 at 04:47

Dont shit on bodom for being smart and going towards a more Popular view. I think this is there best album yet.

There is truth to that...I highly doubt that Alexi is dedicated to being true to their sound or to their old fans. But hey, if its about money, Cob did go the right way. Doesnt mean that I have respect for them though.
27.02.2007 - 16:07
FOOCK Nam

This album doesnt sastify me. I listened to few songs of it. Though its not original and intense melodious like Follow The Reaper and HateCrew. To me, Follow The Reaper still is best one of Children Of Bodom.
27.02.2007 - 17:20
Asat0r

The problem with this album is that it doesn't have any lasting appeal. I used to listen to it all the time, now I may give one or two of the songs a listen once a month. I really wish the would return to the days of Follow the Reaper.
27.02.2007 - 17:46
darksun

I find the album vry usual especially lyrics.They seem to have lost old bodom days and creativity
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
17.03.2007 - 13:49
Rating: 7
flamesoficarus

now for a different angle, i swear i get the feeling that ever since alexi has played with ESP his playing has borderlined on shit.
17.03.2007 - 14:55
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
"Everything in Children Of Bodom is getting old by now, the brainless lyrics and laughable song titles were funny at first, but now they've become unbearable."
I agree 100%.
this band has done a brittney spears cover! How ashaming!

there is nothing serious in this band, and this is not an evergreen band, I mean there are/were bands like amon amarth, iron maiden, immortal, possessed which always made good music, but CO(F)B doesn't fall in this catagory.
I've listened to many COB albums, none have satisfied me, because I see no seriousness in them, they seem to play metal to mock metal.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
06.04.2007 - 09:39
Robstar

I did not like that much this album , to be specific It did not fill my expectations from these dudes at all...

My favorite tracks from this album will be : Are you Dead Yet and In your Face
----
Nothing is unreacheable
04.07.2007 - 04:12
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Paganblood on 17.03.2007 at 14:55

"Everything in Children Of Bodom is getting old by now, the brainless lyrics and laughable song titles were funny at first, but now they've become unbearable."
I agree 100%.
this band has done a brittney spears cover! How ashaming!

there is nothing serious in this band, and this is not an evergreen band, I mean there are/were bands like amon amarth, iron maiden, immortal, possessed which always made good music, but CO(F)B doesn't fall in this catagory.
I've listened to many COB albums, none have satisfied me, because I see no seriousness in them, they seem to play metal to mock metal.

True.
Thought I do like their strumental (yup power metal fan here), but I always thought that their lyrics and the vocals are a disgrace =\
----
08.07.2007 - 05:56
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by 4look4rd on 04.07.2007 at 04:12

Thought I do like their strumental (yup power metal fan here), but I always thought that their lyrics and the vocals are a disgrace =\

I wonder if a power metal fan can be pleased with COB's music... (imo there are better PM bands than COB isn't it?)
----
08.07.2007 - 07:01
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Paganblood on 08.07.2007 at 05:56

Written by 4look4rd on 04.07.2007 at 04:12

I wonder if a power metal fan can be pleased with COB's music... (imo there are better PM bands than COB isn't it?)

Sure there is buddy, but Warman an amazing keyboard player (one of my favorites) also I dont see why a power metal fan should be unpleased with their music (not this album but the older ones) if you ignore the vocals (which I hate) you'll see that they are skilled musicians
----
09.07.2007 - 06:26
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
no man i agree this album is SHIT...
11.07.2007 - 08:28
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by 4look4rd on 08.07.2007 at 07:01

.......... if you ignore the vocals (which I hate) you'll see that they are skilled musicians

yes, the vocals are repulsive... not that they're bad musicians but their rhythm doesn't have much variation imo..
----
20.12.2007 - 16:33
selken
Irreligious
IMO the album is not so bad, at least, it doesn't deserve such a low rating, I mean, the album is not impressive nor original, but it still far more listenable than other albums with higher ratings. Not my choice anyway, I prefer Follow the Reaper
----
20.12.2007 - 17:17
Rating: 9
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think it's a catchy album.
----
20.12.2007 - 22:06
Rating: 8
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I think its good, but yeah, not nearly as good as Follow The Reaper, Hatebreeder, and Something Wild
09.02.2008 - 04:33
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
It's not so good as teh other albums, but it's still a good album, I think it deserves more than just a 5.0...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
19.05.2008 - 08:14
juanopereira

I Think it's their worst album, but it's not so bad to deserve just a 5.0
12.08.2008 - 14:03
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
ayayayaya i dont give a crap anymore in my opinion this IS the best Children of Bodom have had to offer!!!
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
30.08.2008 - 00:40
ioannisk

totally disagree. One of the best albums cob have created and the vocals in this one is just brilliant! It's a pity that lahio didn't maintain them to the next album as well.
20.10.2008 - 15:58
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I've not listened much that band but I feel this album is very good. I can't find a bad song, the production is so good and technically it is also good. 9!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.11.2008 - 22:31
Rating: 5
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Yup, I found this album boring, and by the way, it is REAPER not Ripper. Well I agree with your review.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
03.12.2008 - 11:35
ceekes

I don't agree this 5
For me it is the second best album from Children Of Bodom after hatebreeder
I give this album a 9 !
15.12.2008 - 05:06
Land Of Doom

Its A bad thing to but only 5 to this album

It's a true that the album not Special but I think it Deserves 8 or 9

For me I vote 9 to it
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
25.12.2008 - 05:52
SoundSensitiveCd
Account deleted
I agree, COB is Metal but takes it further than a lot metal bands, for example " Oops I Did it Again" On "Are You Dead Yet" was not my favorite but funny to Listen to.
07.08.2009 - 05:51
BORT

Good Album
14.08.2009 - 17:57
Rupert

Written by Land Of Doom on 15.12.2008 at 05:06

Its A bad thing to but only 5 to this album

It's a true that the album not Special but I think it Deserves 8 or 9

For me I vote 9 to it

9's pretty high for nothing special.
18.08.2009 - 04:33
wormdrink414

This album was the biggest departure from the early Bodom sound I love. There are some cool, "Bodom on sedatives" moments but otherwise the album deserves nothing over six points. But look how famous they are now. They slowed things down, playing stuff that sounds more like metalcore than extreme power metal and they are one of the most popular metal bands around. But their fame came not without major sacrifices. Alexi's guitar work is choppier, slower, and less complicated, the keyboards are toned down, making Alexi's hideous vocals clearer and even less tolerable. The album is mediocre but sounds marvelous when played before or after Blooddrunk. Hopefully they'll put out another album like Follow the Reaper or Hatebreeder soon.
23.09.2009 - 21:28
Rating: 6
Panterica

I'm not very familiar with their work, but this album sounds very good to me. Not as Hate Crew Deathroll but still very good.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 14905 | This month: 22